roy86

[SP/MP][COOP] Patrol Operations - Official Thread

LDL, 

I don't think that is a fair assumption. Roy is not dabbling. That's not right.

I don't have any insight to what he is doing, but I do know this...he is hand coding tens of thousands of lines of code. He is creating a framework from the ground up, by himself, all for the total cost to you and me of ZERO dollars. 

I have been waiting as long as anyone, and I will wait as long as it takes. Form Follows Function. If it doesn't function, then it ain't worth a hill of beans. 

He is programmer by trade. Do you think he wants to work all day doing software programming and coding, then come home and do more programming? I think not. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, Blackheart_Six said:

LDL, 

I don't think that is a fair assumption. Roy is not dabbling. That's not right.

I don't have any insight to what he is doing, but I do know this...he is hand coding tens of thousands of lines of code. He is creating a framework from the ground up, by himself, all for the total cost to you and me of ZERO dollars. 

I have been waiting as long as anyone, and I will wait as long as it takes. Form Follows Function. If it doesn't function, then it ain't worth a hill of beans. 

He is programmer by trade. Do you think he wants to work all day doing software programming and coding, then come home and do more programming? I think not. 

Love you mate, though i need to update the resume with you. Working on ML applications now 😉

I'm still working on it but due to current situation this year, my work and family are the important focus in an increasingly poor economic environment.

There are 2 principle bugs I'm fixing which, in the last few Arma updates, has caused performance issues in the mission. Once these are resolved, we're good to go.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, roy86 said:

Love you mate, though i need to update the resume with you. Working on ML applications now 😉

I'm still working on it but due to current situation this year, my work and family are the important focus in an increasingly poor economic environment.

There are 2 principle bugs I'm fixing which, in the last few Arma updates, has caused performance issues in the mission. Once these are resolved, we're good to go.

Well if you are only doing applications work, then no excuse!    :-)

Blackheart,  I think you are taking offense at trivial words.  Dabbling is nothing more or less than him working on it as his time or interest allows.

i noted that there seemed to be activity on the patrol ops front and was pleasantly surprised to see as much.  Honestly I thought Roy probably moved on with far more important matters like, oh, real life.

4 hours ago, lawndartleo said:

Blackheart,  I think you are taking offense at trivial words.  Dabbling is nothing more or less than him working on it as his time or interest allows.

i noted that there seemed to be activity on the patrol ops front and was pleasantly surprised to see as much.  Honestly I thought Roy probably moved on with far more important matters like, oh, real life.

all good, I got it 😉 and appreciate all the support you've shown too

• Like 1

From Discord:

Roy86Today at 7:34 AM
@[AWG]Blackheart_Six Well the good news is all the bugs are fixed. I am just in the process of adding each feature back and testing as I had to rewrite the core event framework and fix the CfgTask creation. It's all working now but just adding all the features back.
I've been pulling many late nights after work to get this done so we can have a good 2021 plus I added modularisation so that took some recoding too and then some

• Like 2

Y’all realize BI will patch PO4 into oblivion about 3 days after it releases,

I’m not sure if this makes me a cynic or a pessimist.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lawndartleo said:

Aww I thought I made every version pretty patch resistant... 😛

7 hours ago, lawndartleo said:

I am going to be optimistic.... And say Arma IV will be released. 

On 1/30/2021 at 1:15 AM, Blackheart_Six said:

I am going to be optimistic.... And say Arma IV will be released. 

😐 nice sig...

this is more accurate.

error undefined variable in the expression:
	PO4releaseDate = date + _soon;

• Like 1

10 print “is it done yet?”

20 goto 10

its the most effective nag post I have ever made.

• Haha 2

Lol nice.

Someone wrote me a msg a while ago which said:

while {!(missionNamespace getVariable ["isPatrolOps4",false]} do {hint "Is it done yet??"};

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roy86 said:

Lol nice.

Someone wrote me a msg a while ago which said:

while {!(missionNamespace getVariable ["isPatrolOps4",false]} do {hint "Is it done yet??"};

I know it goes again intellectual property rights, and I might be committing a federal offense (Of course what isn't a federal offense these days), but I am stealing that one.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blackheart_Six said:

I know it goes again intellectual property rights, and I might be committing a federal offense (Of course what isn't a federal offense these days), but I am stealing that one.   

Go for it mate. Also, check Discord! I've messaged you for some testing.

Testing feedback is complete, looks like we have a stable version that seems fun to play. I am busy the next two weeks so after I will send a final update to the testers for them to host publicly in recognition of their assistance. A little while later, I’ll update steam and Armaholic with all map variants including blufor and opfor sides.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Is PO4 going to be user friendly enough (like the previous versions) for most players to create missions or is it a more complicated framework that will need a bit of inside knowledge in order to use to its fullest extent?

On 4/3/2021 at 10:38 AM, lawndartleo said:

Is PO4 going to be user friendly enough (like the previous versions) for most players to create missions or is it a more complicated framework that will need a bit of inside knowledge in order to use to its fullest extent?

The front end mission making and task making is pretty straight forward for those looking to dabble in missions. I'm documenting the process here: Multi-Player Scripted Framework

The backend of the framework is more complex and not for the inexperienced but you would only go there for heavy customisation.

@Blackheart_Sixwhen will your group be playing?  Poked in last night, very late, was only one there.  Tested an IED, for you.  Sadly it worked. Nobody there to save me.  Pooped a little when it went off.  I wasn't expecting to get blown up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@lawndartleo, sorry I missed this. Lots going on right now. Yea the suicide bombers are REAL fun. If solo, recruit AI, it helps. 

I've disbanded my group for now. Once this gets released, then I'll look at putting together a new unit. 

Also, I've stopped monitoring this forum, and am moving over to here, https://forum.roy86.com.au/ for PO4 stuff. 

Finally get some time to play PO4 and version miss match on the only server running it. whhyyyyyyy 😄

3 hours ago, teabagginpeople said:

Finally get some time to play PO4 and version miss match on the only server running it. whhyyyyyyy 😄

Ok it’s updated. Check it out. I don’t have it setup for users to use F4 for ops so it is limited. 
I’ll try to fix that so the first player who joins the server will have rights to F4 on the tablet.