roy86

[SP/MP][COOP] Patrol Operations - Official Thread

I’ll update the beta once more as I update the position functions for the operations. Then it’s released.

I aim to do more of these sessions as 1. It’s motivating me to keep going and 2. I hope people can use the info.

once PO4 is out, I may do this on demand if people want to learn how to use the framework to develop TAC missions for their community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you need help with documentation I am sure there are a few, that will help out, me included.

As I stated before, I am really interested in the A3 MPSF side of things. A3 MPSF could become the "combat patrol" mode we all envisioned, but BI has ignored. 

On a side note.....

I uploaded PO3 to our group server. And it still runs like a champ. Which after 6 years since it's release is amazing! Outside of some mission issues that were known, I haven't seen any NEW issues. That is a testament to your code. After all the Arma updates, and PO3 still runs great. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 11:44 PM, Blackheart_Six said:

If you need help with documentation I am sure there are a few, that will help out, me included.

As I stated before, I am really interested in the A3 MPSF side of things. A3 MPSF could become the "combat patrol" mode we all envisioned, but BI has ignored. 

Thanks mate, I will take you up on that when the time comes.

Combat was an interesting game mode but never really played it much other than the launch. PO/MPSF would definitely be a good tool to create something more.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:44 PM, Blackheart_Six said:

On a side note.....

I uploaded PO3 to our group server. And it still runs like a champ. Which after 6 years since it's release is amazing! Outside of some mission issues that were known, I haven't seen any NEW issues. That is a testament to your code. After all the Arma updates, and PO3 still runs great. 

Thanks mate, a lot of effort went into PO and at the time I tried hard to make it as universal as possible for that exact reason. I'm glad to see it still holds up.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Another dev session about map config and fixing the task positions

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here is how to create new tasks in the MPSF framework, either for Patrol Ops or your TAC mission

Patrol Ops 4 - Twitch Dev Session #3 - Task Config

Edited by roy86
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Setting up new operation types and multistage operations in PO4.

For those interested, I created a playlist of the dev streams from the twitch feed. Plan is I'm trying to complete at least one per week to make sure progress is still going and to allow others realtime input into the ideas.

• Like 1

Hi Roy, 

Can't handle watching the videos! Driving me crazy!

It's looking great. Can't wait to be able to create content. Comparing to original documentation, looks very familiar. 

IMHO on locations, if possible...

Insurgents would establish camps in forested valley areas, far from roads and urban areas to conceal smoke from fires, and overhead drone and satellite views. They would occupy steeper and narrower terrain to limit forces to maneuver in that space. NW Altis mountains is an example of that. 

Not sure if possible to find a location based on terrain features like valley, or draw. I've tried using BIS_fnc_findSafePos and selectBestPlaces with not much success. 

Just an idea... 

Keep up the great work. Amazing stuff in the videos. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Blackheart_Six said:

Insurgents would establish camps in forested valley areas, far from roads and urban areas to conceal smoke from fires, and overhead drone and satellite views. They would occupy steeper and narrower terrain to limit forces to maneuver in that space. NW Altis mountains is an example of that. 

Not sure if possible to find a location based on terrain features like valley, or draw. I've tried using BIS_fnc_findSafePos and selectBestPlaces with not much success. 

Just an idea... 

definitely  is. You can use "forest" to identify concealed areas with tree cover and we could create locations in the metadata to identify viable locations outlined as described.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dev session live on youtube going through the design and configuation of the HVT Dealer task

• Like 3

Dev session covering off how to port Patrol Ops 4 to other maps and set up some custom config for your communities

• Like 2

Did another session (quiet one) going through the Logistics scripts for the trucks to support some of the operation types that require transport of shipping containers and supplies

• Like 2

@roy86 just a thought, but if your building missions,  can we assume the framework is done and ready for beta test 2?

Additionally are the modules i.e. vehicle depot, stand alone module? Or is there dependencies on the framework? 

imho and ive truly have been humbled trying to create small functions, its amazing the coding you’ve put into this. I understand the time it takes to write test rewrite and repeat that thousands of times across hundreds of files. THANK YOU!

7 hours ago, Blackheart_Six said:

@roy86 just a thought, but if your building missions,  can we assume the framework is done and ready for beta test 2?

After that last session, yes. I had to reimplement a logistics process for some of the operation types that require the movement of objects on trucks.

Now that it is working, the final check is some MP tests to ensure this version is stable and an update will be published.

Additionally are the modules i.e. vehicle depot, stand alone module? Or is there dependencies on the framework? 

There are some small dependencies like addActions and event handler framework. I wrote them in the current form so I can go back and build stand-alone versions easily.

imho and ive truly have been humbled trying to create small functions, its amazing the coding you’ve put into this. I understand the time it takes to write test rewrite and repeat that thousands of times across hundreds of files. THANK YOU!

And thank you for the support. Building so it is SP+MP compatible, scalable, variable and stable takes time so I appreciate everyone's patience and support as we go.

Cheers,

• Like 5

As your last version was so will the success and appreciation be for this one! Thanks for all your continued hard work.

Vengeance

• Like 4

A bit, is like a yonder. It is only known to the person who utters it. 

"Just go down yonder, and hold it". 

• Like 1

I completely get that real life can delay or even completely derail a project.  When or if Roy ever finishes is his business and I appreciate the fun he provided in ArmA II and III.  So, in the absence of Patrol Ops 4, what are people playing for similar type missions?

Hey @Blackheart_Six if that was supposed to link to something, it did not for me. Just an empty channel and a notification that there was nothing to see.  Irony, perhaps?

I had hoped that Roy would finish up PO4 but that doesn’t look very likely.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Blackheart_Six said:

Update post. See above. Now when that will be, only Roy knows. 

Better late then never.