roy86

[SP/MP][COOP] Patrol Operations - Official Thread

Love this mission generator... but one question.  Does it override default difficulty settings?  It has become nearly impossible to play.  We're a small 3 man squad, play on a private server host.  But the AI kills us typically in one shot, from any distance.  Any air support I call in is shot down in seconds by infantry (snipe the pilot).  Seems insanely complicated.  Maybe it's just me.. hoping to get insight into how to change this.  

On 12/10/2019 at 4:24 AM, addicted2code said:

Love this mission generator... but one question.  Does it override default difficulty settings?  It has become nearly impossible to play.  We're a small 3 man squad, play on a private server host.  But the AI kills us typically in one shot, from any distance.  Any air support I call in is shot down in seconds by infantry (snipe the pilot).  Seems insanely complicated.  Maybe it's just me.. hoping to get insight into how to change this.  

Thanks mate, appreciate the feedback.

It does not play with difficulty settings, only the scale of the mission. Small Player numbers = smaller OPFOR where as Larger Player numbers = more OPFOR + Vehicles.

I left out any difficulty settings as groups like to play with AI mods and that would increase chance of conflicts with the mission.

Wrapping up the last of the key features

Conduct precision strikes or area bombardment when assigning request to AI or Players using the support screens in Patrol Ops 4. 

Video demonstrating the function of the support available to squad leaders for either AI Artillery/CAS or Player tasked Firemissions integrated into a UI on an Amrel Tablet. Players operating in support platforms must be in the vehicle and active in the AO to appear in the request list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

and the full CAS/Artillery support test. Note the restrictions and cooldowns were turned off in the test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, vengeance1 said:

WOW, very impressive!  Is this in the mission release at this time?

It will be 😄

• Like 3

Roy you got me all spun up again! This looks great!

I saw yesterday on a cell phone, so no details. 

I hope A3 MPSF is still in the mix for PO4. 

• Like 1

After watching those, have gone through the surprisingly lengthy process of signing back into these forums via Steam from a new laptop in a foreign country just to say:

HYPE.

Keep up the good work Roy!

• Like 2

Will there be more wait time before the strike actually reaches you? It seems almost instantaneous after you call for fire.

2 hours ago, sargken said:

Will there be more wait time before the strike actually reaches you? It seems almost instantaneous after you call for fire.

Those videos are tests so the timers and cool downs are short or turned off.

ordnance flight times are configurable but can be within 40secs for artillery or a few mins for cruise missiles. I haven’t actually landed on how long the various ordnance should take.

i welcome input on the various options for wait times. 

• Like 1

As a 11C and 13B, we pumped out as many rounds as the FDC ordered up. There was never any cool down times for mortars or towed/SP artillery. You alternate guns in the battery. Or shoot base gun to register, and then the battery fire for effect. If I remember correctly, a good crew could do about 6 rnds per minute on a 155mm SP. Faster on a 105mm towed, and really fast on a 4.2 inch/81 mm mortar. As fast as the ammo bearer could cut cheese on the rounds. 

Time to impact was dependent on humidity, temperature, charge, distance, and elevation. Let the internal arma algo handle that. 

For MLRS, which I didn't serve, I can imagine reload times for missile packs, would require down time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that CAS should take roughly 2-5 minutes to arrive on target.

• Thanks 1

Yea agree, CAP should be in place before ground ops begin, and arrive within minutes supplying CAS on targets. 

14 hours ago, Blackheart_Six said:

As a 11C and 13B, we pumped out as many rounds as the FDC ordered up. There was never any cool down times for mortars or towed/SP artillery. You alternate guns in the battery. Or shoot base gun to register, and then the battery fire for effect. If I remember correctly, a good crew could do about 6 rnds per minute on a 155mm SP. Faster on a 105mm towed, and really fast on a 4.2 inch/81 mm mortar. As fast as the ammo bearer could cut cheese on the rounds. 

Time to impact was dependent on humidity, temperature, charge, distance, and elevation. Let the internal arma algo handle that. 

For MLRS, which I didn't serve, I can imagine reload times for missile packs, would require down time. 

Thanks Black, That is very useful. Can't use the arma algo as when using "AI" it is simply a sleep timer with ordnance created above the target area. But if someone can run a bunch of tests, I'd be happy to take the timings based on the distance from the origin as a calculation of delay.

I"ll set the CAS/CAP on a few minutes 😉

Also note, if there are players in these support platforms IE in artillery or in a plane, they will appear in that list and be issued the tasking so timing is completely on them to get on point.

• Like 2

Didn’t someone in this Armaverse already work on firing tables for arty? I may be mistaken. 

i can do some tables when I get back from work trip.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Blackheart_Six said:

Didn’t someone in this Armaverse already work on firing tables for arty? I may be mistaken. 

i can do some tables when I get back from work trip.

If anyone can point me to it, I'll adopt the calculations, just don;t have the time to go fishing myself 🙂

Home tomorrow. I looked at some topics on arty tables but didn’t look promising. One more I need look and D/L.

I’ll do data collection in VR map. I’ll start with FA M4 scorcher. 

angle/distance to impact/time to impact

@roy86

Before I go too deep into this. Here is an example of what I got. Give me a thumbs up and I'll keep running it. 

These values are from the artillery computer. It takes too long to run actual ToT numbers. 

M4 Scorcher - Mode:CLOSE

Range (meters)   Time On Target (seconds)

900 - 1300            30

1400 - 1700          29

1800 - 1900          28

2000 - 2100          27

2200                      26

2300                      25

2400                      23

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blackheart_Six said:

@roy86

Before I go too deep into this. Here is an example of what I got. Give me a thumbs up and I'll keep running it. 

These values are from the artillery computer. It takes too long to run actual ToT numbers. 

M4 Scorcher - Mode:CLOSE

Range (meters)   Time On Target (seconds)

900 - 1300            30

1400 - 1700          29

1800 - 1900          28

2000 - 2100          27

2200                      26

2300                      25

2400                      23

Interesting, thanks for running those, I'll tweak the equations to build a calculation based on distance.

I've tested with the cruise missile which is simulated to be launched from 71km away with flight time based on 880km/hr to impact. Much more interesting dynamic waiting a couple of mins with anticipation.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, roy86 said:

Interesting, thanks for running those, I'll tweak the equations to build a calculation based on distance.

I've tested with the cruise missile which is simulated to be launched from 71km away with flight time based on 880km/hr to impact. Much more interesting dynamic waiting a couple of mins with anticipation.

Cool. I'll collect the rest of the modes for the M4, and do the other NATO pieces, and post them up here in a spoiler box. 

• Thanks 1

Just for fun, testing streaming the development on twitch

• Like 1

Patrol Ops 4 - Twitch Dev Session #1

• Like 4

Wow, looks great, Roy! Good insight to what your doing, and how you code it with the dev video. 

Glad to see event/task code structure resembles what is up in the wiki and the beta MPSF. I think that is a great system for creating missions quickly. 

Are you thinking of doing another beta? Looks like a lot of changes/additions since Dec. 2017 beta.

Seeing all this is very exciting, but don't want to get out too far over my ski's. ⛷️

Still just :hang:around.