roy86

[SP/MP][COOP] Patrol Operations - Official Thread

Nope. Original plan went out the window with the last computer. 

17 minutes ago, roy86 said:

Nope. Original plan went out the window with the last computer. 

Sigh!!

Still waiting patiently!!

Quick update, testing is going well albeit a bit slow because of RL. Current checklist progress below

Closed Beta

• MPSF stability (Passed)
  • Mission Encounters (Passed*) Needs further optimising
  • Virtual Armoury (Passed*) Needs squad role assignments implemented
  • Virtual Depot (Passed)
  • ReviveMP (Next Update)
  • RespawnMP (Next Update)
  • Mission Tasks (Future Update)

Then... OPEN BETA

• Squad Mod
  • RecruitMP
  • Mission Tasks Updates
  • Environment Updates

Then... 4.0 released.

Great video shot by AWGs BigBrad during their testing of the beta.

Cheers

• Like 6

Thanks, Roy for the video post. Looking forward to next release.

Those who've played the original domination missions, then PO series, this is a new level of COOP MP. Went from go to AO blow up the tower, RTB, wash, rinse and repeat....to using civilians, and intelligence gathering, which is brilliant. I think the next DLC, Laws of War, integrated with PO4 will provide some very interesting game play and story creation. 

I've been working mostly with the framework. The framework is working great. It's easy to create custom missions with spawning units. I'm finished with 3 offensive missions, and now working on defensive missions. Once you get set up, it's a cookie cutter process by creating templates of classes, with slight changes needed to adjust for mission objectives. 

• Like 2

@roy86 any chance your latest version (v4.0?) will be released on Steam's Workshop?

1 hour ago, domokun said:

@roy86 any chance your latest version (v4.0?) will be released on Steam's Workshop?

I'm undecided at this time. I have not used it before.

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 30/08/2017 at 0:30 PM, roy86 said:

I'm undecided at this time. I have not used it before.

I'd argue that SW is better for encouraging adoption by users as it simplifies subscription, updates & mod integration.

It's also easier than you think and I don't think that Valve is the greedy empire that some modders originally feared.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, domokun said:

SW is useful for encouraging adoption as it simplifies subscription, updates & mod integration.

It's also easier than you think and I don't think that Valve is the greedy empire that some modders were concerned about.

Agreed. I was worried it would be complicated too. But it's much easier than I had expected, though I personally recommend just doing the very basics through the editor, publishing for private use, and then editing the page manually after through the Steam client before making it public.

On 2017-08-31 at 11:44 AM, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Agreed. I was worried it would be complicated too. But it's much easier than I had expected, though I personally recommend just doing the very basics through the editor, publishing for private use, and then editing the page manually after through the Steam client before making it public.

I would agree as well. The workshop is super easy to use and probably one of the best ways to get your work out there.

after reading the workshop/subscriber agreement, I have my reservations.

I don't see the benefit of the steam workshop apart from visibility perhaps. Without forgetting those who host locally, the mission is better designed to be run on dedicated servers for larger communities and in saying that most people would prefer a direct link to the mission files/framework instead of rummaging through the chaotic steam folder structures.

I don't see the benefit of the steam workshop apart from visibility perhaps. Without forgetting those who host locally, the mission is better designed to be run on dedicated servers for larger communities and in saying that most people would prefer a direct link to the mission files/framework instead of rummaging through the chaotic steam folder structures.

You can automate your server via steamCmd to always download the latest version though. I imagine you can with other methods too but it is pretty easy via steamCmd. Combined with the visability and the recent turn of Armaholic I think most people prefer Steam Workshop.

Providing multiple methods of delivery is always better to make sure your product gets out there, but it's up to the mission maker. Having the mission on steam workshop doesn't mean it cant have a direct download method.

Also, agreed on the armaholic comment, our group and most people I play arma with don't use it anymore, when possible.

Providing multiple methods of delivery is always better to make sure your product gets out there, but it's up to the mission maker. Having the mission on steam workshop doesn't mean it cant have a direct download method.

Also, agreed on the armaholic comment, our group and most people I play arma with don't use it anymore, when possible.

Oh don't get me wrong, multiple places is better and yea it is up to Roy. I just know steamCmd can automate and that is worth considering is all.

What exactly is it with the Steam Workshop terms of use that worry content creators? I read a while back something along the lines of "They ow anything you ipload and steal your rights" but I am not sure if that is true.

Either way, I will be hosting the new PO when it is out.

12 hours ago, crazy538 said:

You can automate your server via steamCmd to always download the latest version though. I imagine you can with other methods too but it is pretty easy via steamCmd. Combined with the visability and the recent turn of Armaholic I think most people prefer Steam Workshop.

this only works if you use a account that owns arma3 (full game) and use that account to dl the mission/mods (+you need to subscribe to them before(bonus hassle)) via steamcmd, arma3 dedicated package doesn't require an account (anon or just a random new account works(but only for the dedi package not for any mod or mission)) that own the game. a mission designed for dedicated server deployed via workshop is just useless + it screws up the filename. direct download is the only solution.

don't get me wrong, client side i like the steamworkshop thing, but as hoster its pain in the ass and complete useless.

On 9/9/2017 at 3:17 AM, yxman said:

don't get me wrong, client side i like the steamworkshop thing, but as hoster its pain in the ass and complete useless.

I wrote a little something to fix that problem a year ago. It's a command line utility that takes the IDs of workshop items (only tested it on missions) as arguments, finds the current download URL using the Steamworks Web API and downloads them to a specified location. It's very easy to use if you run on a Linux dedicated server (which I of course think you should :wink_o:). It's written in C using libcurl, so getting it to compile on Windows might be a bit tedious. Considering this, a Python version would probably be a good idea.

I've been using it on my server for a while, and I'm quite happy with it. You could use cron to schedule regular updates, or configure your system to update on reboot. It has its limitations, and possibly some problems I've not yet encountered, so feel free to fork it if you can think of improvements.

On 2017-09-08 at 7:21 PM, crazy538 said:

Oh don't get me wrong, multiple places is better and yea it is up to Roy. I just know steamCmd can automate and that is worth considering is all.

What exactly is it with the Steam Workshop terms of use that worry content creators? I read a while back something along the lines of "They ow anything you ipload and steal your rights" but I am not sure if that is true.

Either way, I will be hosting the new PO when it is out.

Yeah, would be interested to know what is worrisome in the terms?

Is it at all possible to adjust how the enemy spawning scripts react to different vehicles on my end?  I play this with a very small group, and we quite enjoy it, but we find ourselves limiting what we use to prevent being overwhelmed.  I'm specifically looking at adjusting how it reacts to attack helicopters.  Right now, it seems to more or less ignore someone in a transport helo, as well as in a plane, but as soon as you get in an attack helo, it dumps a crazy amount of vehicles on the field.  

I'm not looking for a way to completely eliminate it spawning stuff when we are using one, just to spawn less then it does now.  

Amazing missions though either way, really looking forward to patrol ops 4!

On 18/09/2017 at 4:58 AM, delta99 said:

Yeah, would be interested to know what is worrisome in the terms?

This part: http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#6

BUT, I do not want this thread to descend into a discussion about the Steam Workshop, there are other threads for that. I will decide when it comes time to publish the missions.

10 hours ago, Fal Soram said:

Is it at all possible to adjust how the enemy spawning scripts react to different vehicles on my end?  I play this with a very small group, and we quite enjoy it, but we find ourselves limiting what we use to prevent being overwhelmed.  I'm specifically looking at adjusting how it reacts to attack helicopters.  Right now, it seems to more or less ignore someone in a transport helo, as well as in a plane, but as soon as you get in an attack helo, it dumps a crazy amount of vehicles on the field.  

I'm not looking for a way to completely eliminate it spawning stuff when we are using one, just to spawn less then it does now.  

Amazing missions though either way, really looking forward to patrol ops 4!

PO3 does not react to what vehicle type you are in, only the numbers of players connected so I can't recommend a fix for that.

In PO4 it will be in the configuration of the encounters.

Cheers,

Hi, sorry for my bad english, but i want to ask if it is possible to change keybind on po3? Example i want use other key for "settings"(now is U). For last, is possible "skip mission" for not admin but example for TL?Thanx a lot!
Torcia

Torcia, 

To add a team leader to skip missions, you need to edit the file "fn_sqmodFunctions.sqf".

PO3_fnc_sqdmod_updateGUI = {
	{ PO3_BUTTON_DEACTIVATE(uinamespace getvariable _x); }forEach ['PO3_hud_squadmod_b01','PO3_hud_squadmod_b02','PO3_hud_squadmod_b03','PO3_hud_squadmod_b04','PO3_hud_squadmod_b05','PO3_hud_squadmod_b06','PO3_hud_squadmod_b07','PO3_hud_squadmod_b08','PO3_hud_squadmod_b09','PO3_hud_squadmod_C01'];

switch (true) do {
		 case ( [player] call PO3_fnc_isAdministrator ) : { { PO3_BUTTON_ACTIVATE(uinamespace getvariable _x); }forEach ['PO3_hud_squadmod_b01','PO3_hud_squadmod_b02','PO3_hud_squadmod_b03','PO3_hud_squadmod_b04','PO3_hud_squadmod_b05','PO3_hud_squadmod_b06','PO3_hud_squadmod_b07','PO3_hud_squadmod_b08','PO3_hud_squadmod_b09','PO3_hud_squadmod_C01']; };
		 case ( [group player,player] call PO3_fnc_isTeamLeader ) : { { PO3_BUTTON_ACTIVATE(uinamespace getvariable _x); }forEach ['PO3_hud_squadmod_b01','PO3_hud_squadmod_b02','PO3_hud_squadmod_b04','PO3_hud_squadmod_b07','PO3_hud_squadmod_b08','PO3_hud_squadmod_C01']; };
	};

As you can see, the 2 lines beginning with "case" set the who can use the button. The button for "Skip Mission" is b09. Add 'PO3_hud_squadmod_b09' to 2nd case line, which is for team leader. 

To change the key bind for "Settings" from "U" to something else, you need to edit the file "fn_keypress.sqf". Find all instances of "0x16". To change to another key, refer to this page. 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DIK_KeyCodes

As you can see the "U" key = 0x16. Change it to the key you want. BUT beware , I am sure Roy86 used the "U" for a very good reason. 

Make sure you make copies of the files or keep track of your edits. 

On 21/9/2017 at 1:45 AM, Blackheart_Six said:

Torcia, 

To add a team leader to skip missions, you need to edit the file "fn_sqmodFunctions.sqf".

PO3_fnc_sqdmod_updateGUI = {
	{ PO3_BUTTON_DEACTIVATE(uinamespace getvariable _x); }forEach ['PO3_hud_squadmod_b01','PO3_hud_squadmod_b02','PO3_hud_squadmod_b03','PO3_hud_squadmod_b04','PO3_hud_squadmod_b05','PO3_hud_squadmod_b06','PO3_hud_squadmod_b07','PO3_hud_squadmod_b08','PO3_hud_squadmod_b09','PO3_hud_squadmod_C01'];

switch (true) do {
		 case ( [player] call PO3_fnc_isAdministrator ) : { { PO3_BUTTON_ACTIVATE(uinamespace getvariable _x); }forEach ['PO3_hud_squadmod_b01','PO3_hud_squadmod_b02','PO3_hud_squadmod_b03','PO3_hud_squadmod_b04','PO3_hud_squadmod_b05','PO3_hud_squadmod_b06','PO3_hud_squadmod_b07','PO3_hud_squadmod_b08','PO3_hud_squadmod_b09','PO3_hud_squadmod_C01']; };
		 case ( [group player,player] call PO3_fnc_isTeamLeader ) : { { PO3_BUTTON_ACTIVATE(uinamespace getvariable _x); }forEach ['PO3_hud_squadmod_b01','PO3_hud_squadmod_b02','PO3_hud_squadmod_b04','PO3_hud_squadmod_b07','PO3_hud_squadmod_b08','PO3_hud_squadmod_C01']; };
	};

As you can see, the 2 lines beginning with "case" set the who can use the button. The button for "Skip Mission" is b09. Add 'PO3_hud_squadmod_b09' to 2nd case line, which is for team leader. 

To change the key bind for "Settings" from "U" to something else, you need to edit the file "fn_keypress.sqf". Find all instances of "0x16". To change to another key, refer to this page. 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DIK_KeyCodes

As you can see the "U" key = 0x16. Change it to the key you want. BUT beware , I am sure Roy86 used the "U" for a very good reason. 

Make sure you make copies of the files or keep track of your edits. 

thanks mate for your answer

We shot another video..... basic ops of task. We'll try to do a feature one next update. Thanks to BigBrad72 for doing it. 

• Like 1