roy86

[SP/MP][COOP] Patrol Operations - Official Thread

The 'parent / child' task system is interesting.  Can you explain a little more about it?

Do child tasks, link to parent tasks that in turn link to large battle outcomes or sector control or something else 'macro' like that? 

Child tasks never get done, take for ever or come with a lot of complaining.  Usually require threats of lost TV and disconnected internet in order to get them even started.

Oh, wait, you mean in the game!

On a serious note...

• Is there any fear that Apex is going to introduce a whole new development hump to overcome before Patrol Ops goes live?
  • Is Tanoa on your radar or is it going to be Altis only?
  • Will the new Patrol Ops 4 port as easily as version 2 did back in the days of ArmA 2?
  • I guess I should ask... will porting to other maps be allowed?

And because I just have to ask... was there ever a Patrol Ops 1?  If yes, where?

The 'parent / child' task system is interesting.  Can you explain a little more about it?

Do child tasks, link to parent tasks that in turn link to large battle outcomes or sector control or something else 'macro' like that? 

Parents are Operational Level Objectives, Child Tasks are smaller objectives,

e.g.

Parent: "Operation Random Name" > Locate and Eliminate IED Facility

Child Tasks:

> Speak with civilian to locate IED maker

> Eliminate IED maker and collect his intel on factory

> Move to factory and destroy it.

Once all complete, the parent completes.

Some child tasks are simultaneous so teams can divide and conquer, others may lead to much larger operations (depending on number of connected players).

Child tasks never get done, take for ever or come with a lot of complaining.  Usually require threats of lost TV and disconnected internet in order to get them even started.

Oh, wait, you mean in the game!

On a serious note...

• Is there any fear that Apex is going to introduce a whole new development hump to overcome before Patrol Ops goes live?
  • Is Tanoa on your radar or is it going to be Altis only?
  • Will the new Patrol Ops 4 port as easily as version 2 did back in the days of ArmA 2?
  • I guess I should ask... will porting to other maps be allowed?

And because I just have to ask... was there ever a Patrol Ops 1?  If yes, where?

Lol, to answer as best I can,

• Fear of Apex? nope. The changes affecting PO4 are happening now with 1.58 & 1.60. Only making it better honestly.
  • PO4 Tanoa? Plan is Altis, Large CUP terrains and definitely Tanoa. Other maps will be on demand basis.
  • Porting PO4? Porting is a little more complex this time but possible. It takes about 1-3 hours to prep a map and about 1hr to generate the MapData used in the framework (based on Altis running on a surface pro 3). Instructions will be hosted at arma.roy86.com.au
  • Porting as well as modifying PO4 setup is allowed. I cannot cater for everything so I'm more than happy for those who enjoy PO4 to adjust it based on their preferences but I do encourage you to feed back to me what is changing so I can learn more.
  • Patrol Ops 1? Certainly was. It was designed solely for OCB.net.au and never released to the public. However, thanks to the encouragement of the members, it was refined and released publicly as PO2. The framework behind it and PO3 powered a lot of in-house tactical missions.

I hope that answers your questions,

Cheers,

PO4 Update:

Wrapping up (finally) on the feature development/refinement and finishing off the first batch of task updates.

Beta testers, I'll be in contact soon for those still up for it.

In the mean time, I've recored a couple of teasers of some of the features and will be uploading them before launch.

More teasers on my twitter ;)

Cheers,

Roy, 

If you need someone who is still up for it, let me know. I have 2 dedicated servers, waiting for release of Patrol Ops 4. I can lock one and test. 

Best regards,

Roy, 

If you need someone who is still up for it, let me know. I have 2 dedicated servers, waiting for release of Patrol Ops 4. I can lock one and test. 

Best regards,

Definitely will, just working on wrapping up the first MVP for the initial round of beta testers.

Cheers,

What's up roy, this is Axion from WBB game group.

Including myself and our crew members are so exciting to see your Patrol Ops4.

I personally have few questions about Ops and here are few.

1. How many players can able to play in PO4? is there limit or server admin can stretch it upto demands?

1a. If it's not unlimited, what's the recommend number for PO4? Currently we sees around 20-30 players everyday (as public server) and we modified the slots to 60.

2. Does PO4 have its own squad management? or do you use default one?

2a. if it's default one, are we allow to edit the file to insert different type of squad management protocol? Like GREUH from Liberation.

3. Will there sea patrol in PO4? While we play PO3, we avoid land patrols bypass sea instead of land. it will be more exciting and make us more focus during game.

4. Looks like APEX is almost here. Any comments on that? :)

Can't wait to see. Thanks!

Axion.

What's up roy, this is Axion from WBB game group.

Including myself and our crew members are so exciting to see your Patrol Ops4.

I personally have few questions about Ops and here are few.

1. How many players can able to play in PO4? is there limit or server admin can stretch it upto demands?

1a. If it's not unlimited, what's the recommend number for PO4? Currently we sees around 20-30 players everyday (as public server) and we modified the slots to 60.

2. Does PO4 have its own squad management? or do you use default one?

2a. if it's default one, are we allow to edit the file to insert different type of squad management protocol? Like GREUH from Liberation.

3. Will there sea patrol in PO4? While we play PO3, we avoid land patrols bypass sea instead of land. it will be more exciting and make us more focus during game.

4. Looks like APEX is almost here. Any comments on that? :)

Can't wait to see. Thanks!

Axion.

Hi Axion, Happy to answer any questions.

1. Player Numbers, I'm planning on 32 or 48 but simply adding more playable units in the editor will allow more. I would not go over 100 ;)

2. PO4 has it's own system (NCWS) however I've added support for BIS dynamic groups and it is now a mission param.

2a. The squad setup including roles, gear etc is setup in the mission config file which can easily be changed. I am not familiar with GREUH from Liberation (not seen it).

3. Yes. Because of Tanoa, I made sure these are setup.

4. Yes. Apex is almost here and PO4 is too. The two may arrive together or they may not. Cannot give any firm answer to this as RL is insane. I'm aiming for before but...

Cheers,

• Like 2

4. Yes. Apex is almost here and PO4 is too. The two may arrive together or they may not. Cannot give any firm answer to this as RL is insane. I'm aiming for before but...

Cheers,

I am sorry Roy, you are NOT suppose to end a sentence in a preposition, so just go ahead and let us know when your going to release PO4. Ok?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Holy crap! HALO looks great! Love the GUI. 

Still no better definitions for "CfgLocationTypes"? I was hoping they would expand that to maybe "NameMilitaryBase", "NameFactory", etc.etc.... Get better defined random marker generation. 

It ALL looks fabulous though. Very exciting.....Although I am a true believer in "Form follows Function."

I noticed a problem on your Download page at http://arma.roy86.com.au/. PatrolOps 4 and Arma 3 Mission Framework STILL say "Not Available". 

Perhaps it will be fixed within the next 30 days? 45? 60? 90? :) :) :) 

Been looking forward to this for a minute, just a couple of questions.

That wounded GUI looks slick as hell, is it going to be compatible with ACE medical?

My group currently plays a lot of liberation which saves your progress automatically as you take various objectives and gather resources. This save persists even if the mission unloads or the server restarts/crashes. Will PO4 have a similar system?

That wounded GUI looks slick as hell, is it going to be compatible with ACE medical?

My group currently plays a lot of liberation which saves your progress automatically as you take various objectives and gather resources. This save persists even if the mission unloads or the server restarts/crashes. Will PO4 have a similar system?

I've been looking forward for about 6 months...... LOL!

Better to be finished and functional than rushed and broken

Quality takes time and Roy86 has a life outside of gaming

Steady as she goes, Roy.  Don't let the impatient children rattle you.

bro 'children' ? really? 

• Like 2

bro 'children' ? really? [/size]

Maybe it's a reference to the ones at home!!??

Thanks guys, rule is: Family > Work > Arma > Health ;)

I appreciate PO4 has been insanely slow development as I have been very passionate about getting it right with what little time I have and I'm glad your excited, but it will not come any faster than when it will ( soon... :P ).

I recently set my dedicated server up again to refine MP offline, so more teases to come as I am getting features stable. Once they are, the beta begins... then Tanoa expansion.

I will have Git Hub setup once it is released for others to contribute and grow it further but I want to set a standard first to be clear on the direction I would like it on.

I'm interested to have community made operations included as they can be map specific too and that is what the framework is for.

Cheers,

PO4 Injury is not compatible with ACE Medical but will disable automatically if ACE Medical is detected.

Progress saving is not a required feature yet as gear, vehicles etc are configured at the start and "unlocked" to the player but I will look into it once the large operations are implemented as it would piss me off spending 2 hours on an op and have it crash. I have not seen liberation but may ask the dev to see how it was implemented when the time comes.

Holy crap! HALO looks great! Love the GUI. 

Still no better definitions for "CfgLocationTypes"? I was hoping they would expand that to maybe "NameMilitaryBase", "NameFactory", etc.etc.... Get better defined random marker generation. 

It ALL looks fabulous though. Very exciting.....Although I am a true believer in "Form follows Function."

I noticed a problem on your Download page at http://arma.roy86.com.au/. PatrolOps 4 and Arma 3 Mission Framework STILL say "Not Available". 

Perhaps it will be fixed within the next 30 days? 45? 60? 90? :)  :) :) 

CfgLocations have always been a pain to develop around as BIS just don't seem to bother setting them up correctly (Cherno,Altis and now Tanoa).

The screen shot you see is the default tanoa map locations by BIS which has very weird area sizes and are often placed for aesthetics not function.

I've had to uses trigger areas sync'd to logics to define detailed "Locations" for the CfgMapData used by the tasks. I'll share a screenshot of that later so you can see the difference.

I'll fix the download page #soon :p

CfgLocations have always been a pain to develop around as BIS just don't seem to bother setting them up correctly (Cherno,Altis and now Tanoa).

The screen shot you see is the default tanoa map locations by BIS which has very weird area sizes and are often placed for aesthetics not function.

I've had to uses trigger areas sync'd to logics to define detailed "Locations" for the CfgMapData used by the tasks. I'll share a screenshot of that later so you can see the difference.

I'll fix the download page #soon :P

:239:

How will performance be for patrol ops 4 compared to patrol ops 3?

Difficult to confirm at this stage but I've spent a fair amount of time on optimising. I'm predicting far better however I won't know until I start MP tests for Beta.

• Like 1