roy86

[SP/MP][COOP] Patrol Operations - Official Thread

Hi Senshi,

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but we never managed to get a player to change to another squad using the Squadmod menu.

Shouldn't players be able to join any squad they want with this?

Only Teamleaders and admins can move players to squads. This gives control to communities to prevent unwanted players joining their team.

As this is bugged at the moment (team leader assignments not working), I can see the confusion.

Is there a more elaborate explanation of the various parameters? Some of them are fairly unclear:

Mission difficulty: What exactly does this define? <DETAILED FEEDBACK>

Mission Difficulty is a multiplier that links to the player count. The number of connected players and the mission difficulty combine to produce the volume of enemy and type of enemy. Based on your feedback, this needs some tweaking :p

We also wouldn't really mind if they decided to bring in some tanks or helicopters or call for additional reinforcements every now and then to get prolonged battles and task duration.

This will be a feature coming soon. It was in PO2 and really threw in that wildcard to the task.

I also don't understand what these parameters do:

"Player Unconcious State"

"AI Easy Takedown"

Player unconscious State is when the player is injured, they are in "Agony" and require assistance. This can be disabled and the default BIS injury takes over.

Easy AI Take-down is the damage handler applied to the enemy units to increase your weapon effectiveness allowing you to take them down in one or two shots as opposed to 4-6 due to their body armour. This can be turned off if desired.

I hope that clears things up a bit

Cheers,

I have to agree with Senshi, in reference to enemy numbers.

I would also like to add that depth of enemy is too shallow (Meaning outside of a certain perimeter of the A.O, there is no enemy.

It would be nice to see a gradual reduction in enemy concentrations from the focal point of the mission to say 2km or more out.

Am talking the odd perimeter patrol here, nothing too heavy (A couple of fireteams or squads out on the edge). Just something that makes you a little more careful when approaching the A.O.

Maybe an extra couple of levels of params in Mission Difficulty would get us there.

This however may cause a problem with the current state of Multiplayer optimisation, which grinds the server cpu down to a crawl, effecting client fps inadvertently.

For now the only answer to this is HeadlessClient, lets hope B.I improve this soon

Hey Roy!

Just played a mission of Patrol Ops. Overall it was really fun, but we failed. I don't think we should have failed the two objectives that we did.

We had 3 missions.

1. Defend an FOB - Failed

2. Deilver Supplies - Got hit by an IED in our lead vehicle but ultimately succeeded

3. Disarm Mines near the stadium construction site to the West - Failed

There were only 4 of us playing. For the FOB defense, we failed when one single opfor walked to the outside barricade of the FOB. It was an intense firefight and we eliminated probably around 30 opfor, but still failed. It really doesn't feel like we should have failed.

For the supply delivery we got hit by an IED. Problem is, the IEDs are invisible. Not very fun. But we got the guys up and successfully completed the mission.

For the third mission, disarm the mines, we spent probably 20 minutes looking for the mines. They were not clearly visible, or not on the roads. We finally went and got a mine detector and it said a mine was detected, but we still couldn't find it. We failed that mission and failed the entire scenario when we did.

Overall Patrol ops seems pretty cool, but feels like it needs some kinks worked out.

You can watch the whole mission if you're interested here: http://www.twitch.tv/jester814/b/485271473

Hope my feedback helps :)

Also, any chance of you releasing that revive script as standalone?

Edited by MacScottie

Thanks for clearing that up, roy! Maybe a document giving a more elaborate explanation of parameters would be possible? I'm not talking about huge spreadsheets, just the kind of description you just gave.

I like the "number of enemy scalar", very sweet idea.

The "unconcious state" parameter confused me because we really didn't notice much of a difference between enabled/disabled. Both settings led to the same behaviour: A downed player gets the red blood overlay on his screen, can only move in prone forward and cannot use optics (only "hip fire"). He only gets back up using the "assist" function, so I feel the parameter currently doesn't do anything. Will test it again more explicitly before adding it to the issue tracker, though.

I also wholeheartedly support Terox' suggestion of increasing the AO "perimeter" size. Currently we usually just rush in to about ~1km from the AO (even less if good terrain cover is available) either by convoy or helicopter, knowing that chance of being intercepted are very slim, and then mop everything up in a short intense firefight (usually a feast for grenadiers and autoriflemen). There's basically zero risk of being flanked, ambushed or similar, making things a bit too straightforward. Small AI fireteams/squad spread out on the perimeter would encourage proper recon, as such a "blind rush" would then lead to the outlying squads and fireteams to converge on us from all sides, leading to surprise flankings (which in turn would have a high chance of rightfully wiping our team out). Kronzky's urban patrol script might be a quick'n'easy way to implement those perimeter patrols.

Hello there,

First of all congratulations to all the team on making such a great gamemode ! It is fun, engaging and does the trick even for a 2 player team (we just have to get creative :) ).

Because we are only two players we rely on UAVs / UGVs quite a lot. I just wanted to know for sure how the creation of UAV was worked ?

It seems you can only summon one UAV per group and you have to destroy the first one to "summon" another one. It also seems to me that a UAV cannot be easily rearmed. Furthermore, should you manage to get it to the truck, there is no prompt in the action menu to resupply it. Maybe a "Dismiss UAV" button would work, being able to ask for another when the first one leaves.

On another matter, we only play AAF with my friend because we don't really like NATO equipment. And it seems that when we use a Laser Designator (instead of binoculars) and laze our target, no UAV sees it and thus never attacks. But it works perfectly if I play Nato.

My guess is that the laser designator in the ammo boxes are tied to Nato. I haven't tried with CSAT yet, but I have a hunch that it will prove as problematic as with the AAF.

I hope you have time to fix this, even though I am sure you have a lot on your plate / planning, this is far from a game breaker (unlike booby trapped helos :P).

Thanks again for this great and enjoyable map !

Hi Guys,

First off, great mission however we have loaded up the final release onto the server and so far I am the only person able to get any mods in the VAS. Is this a known problem and if so does anyone know how to fix it?

Others are only able to see limited BIS items.

There's no support for mod weapons in the VAS, only BIS weapons.

Does anyone know how to enable acre in this mission, are they any specific file changes?

So Patrol Ops is running a custom VAS? Because I am able to see all of my modded weapons.

Probably because you're using MCC_SandBox (or something similar) that override the in-mission VAS.

Does anyone know how to enable acre in this mission, are they any specific file changes?

Just run ACRE Jayarma3lib and CBA_A3 on you server and clients. You will spawn with (I think) 343's and the ammo box (not the VAS) will have other radios in.

Patrol Ops 3 is enabled for ACRE as standard. The 343 replaces the vanilla Arma 3 radio. The others are in the inventory of the supply boxes that the VAS is attached to.

There are even retransmission towers set up to enable long distance communication across the whole island.

What about taskforce radio support.

Acre doesn't work for us

<Great Feedback>

Hi MacScottie, Thanks for the feedback. Actually IEDs are not in Version 0.00. They are just BIS ATmines at the moment until the next update or so. The defend missions have a bug that has a high risk of failure. I'll be correcting that in the next update.

The mine task using AT-mines are VERY hard to spot sometimes when in the towns. I've seen the road texture hide them completely of only just show the top part.

Also, any chance of you releasing that revive script as standalone?

Lol easier said than done but I will certainly do it once I've got it to a very stable point. (raise in Dev-heaven so I don't forget :p)

I just wanted to know for sure how the creation of UAV was worked ?

It seems you can only summon one UAV per group and you have to destroy the first one to "summon" another one.

It also seems to me that a UAV cannot be easily rearmed. Furthermore, should you manage to get it to the truck, there is no prompt in the action menu to resupply it. Maybe a "Dismiss UAV" button would work, being able to ask for another when the first one leaves.

On another matter, we only play AAF with my friend because we don't really like NATO equipment. And it seems that when we use a Laser Designator (instead of binoculars) and laze our target, no UAV sees it and thus never attacks. But it works perfectly if I play Nato.

Hi Amadeus,

You can request as many UAVs as you like (in Version 0.00) through the "SquadMod" console.

Also like real UAVs they require a player to resupply the UAV/UGV when parked near a supply point. Aim at the UAV near a supply point and select "Resupply" action to begin resupply.

Re the designator, this may be a bug so please log a request at the Dev-heaven so we can track and resolve that.

First off, great mission however we have loaded up the final release onto the server and so far I am the only person able to get any mods in the VAS. Is this a known problem and if so does anyone know how to fix it?

Others are only able to see limited BIS items.

Hi Kieran,

The ammobox should only load Weapons that are configured in the Pre-Defined Loadouts. Weapon Attachments and mags will load based on whats compatible with those weapons (Inc Mod attachments/mags)

If you are seeing modified weapons, you must be playing a modified mission (which i can't debug for you)

mission really nice, which injury system do you use?

Hi Sberla, its a custom one I re-wrote from PO2. We may look at offering different types of systems as there are a couple of good alternatives.

Where can I change the U key for squad menu?

Hi Charles, You can change the key map in "mpsf\fnc\display\fn_keypress.sqf"

What about taskforce radio support.

Acre doesn't work for us

Hi Gagi, No plans to support this at this time. We don't use it in OCB as ACRE is working really well. Please raise a request through Dev-heaven and if i can find a contributor to help, we'll add it in another update.

Also to note:

GIT repo has been created to open this up more for community edits. An Updated contributor list will be posted shortly as there are a few additions to those who have helped develop/inspire PO3 including Tankbuster on some of the tasks.

Christmas is coming so some time will be spent away from the computer.

Cheers,

Hey Roy86 loving the game, trying to figure out how to disarm the Sea Mines? I am a rifleman can't figure it out?

Hey Roy86 loving the game, trying to figure out how to disarm the Sea Mines? I am a rifleman can't figure it out?

Hey Vengeance,

If your a "Explosive Qualified" Rifleman, just swim up to them with a tool kit in your gear and you should have an action to defuse (its just the default BI system).

If your a "Medic Qualified" Rifleman, you'll have to kamikaze them with a boat.

Cheers,

Hi Amadeus,

You can request as many UAVs as you like (in Version 0.00) through the "SquadMod" console.

Also like real UAVs they require a player to resupply the UAV/UGV when parked near a supply point. Aim at the UAV near a supply point and select "Resupply" action to begin resupply.

Re the designator, this may be a bug so please log a request at the Dev-heaven so we can track and resolve that.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll submit a ticket.

On the other hand, I can confirm that I cannot summon more than one UAV at the same time. I have to destroy the first one before summoning a second.

Anyhow great map ! The only thing that could really help is a better explanations of mission, e.g we had to defend some place and there were already ennemies when we arrived, and we got shot while landing. Is that because we were too slow ? Or do they spawn in the town directly ?

Cheers,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll submit a ticket.

On the other hand, I can confirm that I cannot summon more than one UAV at the same time. I have to destroy the first one before summoning a second.

Anyhow great map ! The only thing that could really help is a better explanations of mission, e.g we had to defend some place and there were already ennemies when we arrived, and we got shot while landing. Is that because we were too slow ? Or do they spawn in the town directly ?

Cheers,

Tasks can be very random :p those were the enemy scouts.

is it possible to have custom content and other faction enabled in the VAS?

is it possible to have custom content and other faction enabled in the VAS?

+1 here, in my comunity have own standard of addons, but cant use in this PO3, for this my comunity not use PO3. I see in the videos you are playing with addons for weapons and others, please release fixed version.

However, you can download a fresh copy of VAS, overwrite the "VAS\fnc" folder with the fresh one and it should be back the way you want.

Not work, VAS give errors, not load list of items, if you load saved gear this load is very very slow, etc... i used last v22 version of VAS

Edited by Legolasindar

It is impossible to add mod content in a prefab way, as has been described on one of the first pages in more detail.

I'll reiterate and give some more detail:

PO limits access to equipment depending on the role assigned via SquadMod.

Weapons and vehicles do not by default have such an "associated role" defined, so the mission authors had to create a list of allowed default weapons and vehicles for each role. This is not a particularly difficult task, but it is very time-consuming.

The same is obviously true for mod objects: They would have to be added to this lists/tables as wells, and it simply is impossible for the mission author to consider ALL mods in existence, especially considering these mods might get frequent updates.

So I'm very sure this won't be done by the mission author. Also it would have absolutely no place in the main mission framework/template offered here, as I really think the mission devs can spend their expertise better by improving and expanding the mission for all instead of doing repetitive manual labor tasks ;) .

On the plus side:

If the license permits you to alter the mission (did not check), you can very easily modify the VAS weapon presets for your own need. If you have basic knowledge of how to modify missions it's easy, and even if you don't you can quickly catch up on the required skills needed for this simple task.

You need to know:

1) How to extract a pbo

2) How to edit a text file (duh), basic knowledge of arrays helpful)

3) How to create a pbo

Just unpbo the mission, then head to po3\configs\ . You'll find this in here: "po3_preDefinedGearLoadouts_A3_AAF.sqf" (with two more for NATO&CSAT).

Open this file in a regular text editor and you'll get some simple arrays/lists:

I pasted the first ~1/3 of this file in here for explanation:

//NATO
_backpackList = [// Backpacks
"B_AssaultPack_blk","B_AssaultPack_cbr","B_AssaultPack_dgtl","B_AssaultPack_khk","B_AssaultPack_rgr","B_AssaultPack_sgg","B_AssaultPackG"
,"B_Bergen_blk","B_Bergen_rgr","B_BergenG"
,"B_Carryall_cbr","B_Carryall_khk","B_Carryall_oli"
,"B_FieldPack_blk","B_FieldPack_cbr","B_FieldPack_khk","B_FieldPack_oli"
,"B_Kitbag_cbr","B_Kitbag_sgg"
,"B_TacticalPack_blk","B_TacticalPack_rgr"
,"I_Mortar_01_support_F","B_Mortar_01_weapon_F"
,"B_AA_01_weapon_F","B_AT_01_weapon_F"
,"B_GMG_01_A_high_weapon_F","B_GMG_01_A_weapon_F","B_GMG_01_high_weapon_F","B_GMG_01_weapon_F"
,"B_HMG_01_A_high_weapon_F","B_HMG_01_A_weapon_F","B_HMG_01_high_weapon_F","B_HMG_01_support_F"
,"B_HMG_01_support_high_F","B_HMG_01_weapon_F"
,"I_UAV_01_backpack_F"
];

[
["Leader",[// Weapons
		"arifle_Mk20_F","arifle_Mk20_GL_F","arifle_SDAR_F","srifle_EBR_F"
	],[// Mags
		"HandGrenade","SmokeShellBlue","SmokeShellGreen","SmokeShellRed","SmokeShell","Chemlight_blue","Chemlight_green","Chemlight_red"
	],[// Items
		"NVGoggles","Binocular","Rangefinder","FirstAidKit","ItemCompass","ItemGPS","ItemMap","ItemRadio","ItemWatch"
		,"U_I_CombatUniform","U_I_CombatUniform_shortsleeve","U_I_CombatUniform_tshirt","U_I_OfficerUniform","U_I_Wetsuit"
		,"V_PlateCarrierIA1_dgtl","V_PlateCarrierIA2_dgtl","V_PlateCarrierIAGL_dgtl","V_RebreatherIA"
		,"H_HelmetIA","H_HelmetIA_camo","H_HelmetIA_net","H_MilCap_dgtl","H_Beret_blk","H_Beret_grn","H_Booniehat_dgtl"
	],_backpackList
],
["Rifleman",[// Weapons
		"arifle_Mk20_F","arifle_SDAR_F","srifle_EBR_F"
	],[// Mags
		"HandGrenade","SmokeShellBlue","SmokeShellGreen","SmokeShellRed","SmokeShell","Chemlight_blue","Chemlight_green","Chemlight_red"
	],[// Items
		"NVGoggles","Binocular","FirstAidKit","ItemCompass","ItemGPS","ItemMap","ItemRadio","ItemWatch","MineDetector"
		,"U_I_CombatUniform","U_I_CombatUniform_shortsleeve","U_I_CombatUniform_tshirt","U_I_Wetsuit"
		,"V_PlateCarrierIA1_dgtl","V_PlateCarrierIA2_dgtl","V_PlateCarrierIAGL_dgtl","V_RebreatherIA"
		,"H_HelmetIA","H_HelmetIA_camo","H_HelmetIA_net"
	],_backpackList
],

It's pretty self-explanatory, really:

At the very top you define the backpacks available (which are universal for all roles).

After that, there's individual lists for each role defining the special equipment available.

So you just need to add the class names of your mod weapons/equipment (either given in the documentation, the pbos or you can use one of the many handy tools/armory missions that allow you to browse obejcts and give out classnames.

Just make sure to follow correct separation by "," and ";" and "[ ]".

Now just wrap the mission back up into a pbo, put it on your server and you're good to go.

Is there an easy fix to allow squad leaders to assign team roles?