Feint

Head Range Plus: Improved TrackIR Movement

1 minute ago, belbo said:

I was more thinking along the line of one download wit the main pbo in the addons-folder and the dlc-pbo in an 'optional' folder. But well, maybe one day. :)

I thought of that too.  Same answer, unfortunately.  A few years ago, I released an addon/mod with a userconfig folder that people had to paste into their root Arma folder.  I can't tell you how many questions I had to answer and how many pissed off people I had to deal with.  People would post comments like, "This doesn't work.  It's broken." without even asking for help ahead of time.  And I'd post in the description and comments how to add the userconfig to get the addon to work.  But people just don't read.  I don't blame them.  They just want it to work with little/no effort.  But after answering those questions and dealing with that for years, I swore I'd never do any optional things like that ever again. This is probably why professional developers are always limiting options for players that seem so easy to implement.  Like walking on moving boats.  There's a way to do it, but it's super buggy.  So rather than deal with tens of thousands of angry customers, BI just doesn't do it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, feint said:

Mate, I totally get you. Thank god the age of userconfigs is somehow gone. An elaborate description with all user informations doesn't even prevent that.

But that leads me to believe that 2.8 will be the last version without the need of the dlc. On the other hand: people who have an interest in using hrp will probably own the jets dlc anyway, so the projected userbase for a modular version wouldn't even be that great.

An elaborate description with all user informations doesn't even prevent that.

And never will, you probably get "This doesn't work.  It's broken." either way. It's usually best to just ignore Workshop comments anyways.

Bigger problem with not having it split is requiredAddons, you are not requiring any addons from other mods (as that would obviously prevent it from being used with just vanilla). This means the mod you are modifying might actually overwrite your values if it loads later. Didn't you have any issues with that yet?

On 9/6/2017 at 9:32 AM, jonpas said:

And never will, you probably get "This doesn't work.  It's broken." either way. It's usually best to just ignore Workshop comments anyways.

Bigger problem with not having it split is requiredAddons, you are not requiring any addons from other mods (as that would obviously prevent it from being used with just vanilla). This means the mod you are modifying might actually overwrite your values if it loads later. Didn't you have any issues with that yet?

I would hope that anyone using this would load HRP first and everything else after it.  That's kind of an Arma "using addons" basic at this point.  I'm sure some people out there don't know that, but that's on them.  I decided not to require addons in order to not limit the usefulness of this.  And to prevent myself from having to make 20 versions of HRP.

2 hours ago, Feint said:

I would hope that anyone using this would load HRP first and everything else after it.

Sure, but that falls into the water as soon as you use any launcher where you can't edit that. It's generally bad practice, but I do understand the reason behind it, don't get me wrong.

Yeah, I know, but I decided long ago to not try and make everyone who plays Arma happy.  The crowd is just too diverse in what they want and how they like to do things.  The official launcher is the way BI has set up to play the game.  If someone wants to play in a way where they can't prioritize their addons, then they do that knowing it will result in many problems.