Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Enemy soldiers take too much damage

And here we are, almost almost one whole year later and we still got this very fundamental problem with a core element of the game :(

Like yesterday, played the roll of a sniper on a Invade and Annex-server, got a 7,62x51 NATO ammo and rifle, found a enemy team leader, checked distance with my rangefinder (200 meters), zeroed in my weapon, lined his face (not just his head) onto my sight, pulled the trigger - he twiched and all hell broke loose. I got two shots onto his head (all he did was crouch... easy target) before a split second later the first shot that hit me took me out, DEAD, K.I.A...

This is crap and destoying a otherwise totally AWESOME game... How can such a core feature not be fixed and proper made?

And here we are, almost almost one whole year later and we still got this very fundamental problem with a core element of the game :(

Like yesterday, played the roll of a sniper on a Invade and Annex-server, got a 7,62x51 NATO ammo and rifle, found a enemy team leader, checked distance with my rangefinder (200 meters), zeroed in my weapon, lined his face (not just his head) onto my sight, pulled the trigger - he twiched and all hell broke loose. I got two shots onto his head (all he did was crouch... easy target) before a split second later the first shot that hit me took me out, DEAD, K.I.A...

This is crap and destoying a otherwise totally AWESOME game... How can such a core feature not be fixed and proper made?

Maybe he was a marine? This video is bloody famous now.

Anyway, there's a very large possibility that due to a small error in aiming, you hit the helmet. In which case... Yeah, he could survive, This bloke's head snapped back, and he almost fell into a crouch. So...

Plus, I too am annoyed by the terrible armou system, but you can't just claim from one piece of anecdotal evidence that the game is broken. Helmets are meant to be bulletproof.

Maybe he was a marine? This video is bloody famous now.

Anyway, there's a very large possibility that due to a small error in aiming, you hit the helmet. In which case... Yeah, he could survive, This bloke's head snapped back, and he almost fell into a crouch. So...

Plus, I too am annoyed by the terrible armou system, but you can't just claim from one piece of anecdotal evidence that the game is broken. Helmets are meant to be bulletproof.

Yeah, just like that video is just one, extremly rare, example of that a helmet can save your life from a bullet, my example is also just one example.

I don't claim it from just one piece of anecdotal evidence, I've had this problem since the game released (I just added the example I went through yesterday which made me register and post that post). We all have had, atleast since this post got started. It's not just experience from one snipershot, its from hundreds of hours playing Arma 3.

2-4 bullets in CQB to the chest, alright, let it be so - survive and still stand (still) after two shots with a 7,62x51 NATO round to the face, with visual hit comfirmation through my SOS-scope (and blood), at 300 meters - thats just breaking the illusions of the game. The purpose of a sniper/marksmen is "one shot, one kill" (I'm a part time marksmen in the Swedish Forces). Arma 3 makes that impossible...

As far as I can tell the damage system itself isn't completely wrong, e.g. against an unarmoured target a 9mm shot from a pistol will bring them down first time. The problem is the complete lack of response to being shot that makes it appear they are taking no damage. In reality a 7.62 would almost certainly put you on the floor, however in game you get a twitch and that is it, and that's the problem. Really what it needs is a wounding system that actually has consequences for getting shot, my ideal would be a blend between the old A2 system where you would be put into "agony" but to make it less dependent on the AI medics make it so that a first aid kit can bring you out of agony to a wounded but basically functioning state, however this would need to apply to all units not just the players group.

Maybe it was a cheater. Maybe it was lag/desync problem - you cannot claim that something is wrong or broken just because of some random situation during multiplayer session. I once placed EVERY soldier unit that there is in vanilla and checked if any of them can survive shot in the face from 7.62 - it happens from time to time, I admit, but it doesn't happen consistently. Ususally it happens when a bullet hits an edge of a head/helmet.

As far as I can tell the damage system itself isn't completely wrong, e.g. against an unarmoured target a 9mm shot from a pistol will bring them down first time. The problem is the complete lack of response to being shot that makes it appear they are taking no damage. In reality a 7.62 would almost certainly put you on the floor, however in game you get a twitch and that is it, and that's the problem. Really what it needs is a wounding system that actually has consequences for getting shot, my ideal would be a blend between the old A2 system where you would be put into "agony" but to make it less dependent on the AI medics make it so that a first aid kit can bring you out of agony to a wounded but basically functioning state, however this would need to apply to all units not just the players group.

True, that is a major part of the things that makes the illusion crack.

Maybe it was a cheater. Maybe it was lag/desync problem - you cannot claim that something is wrong or broken just because of some random situation during multiplayer session. I once placed EVERY soldier unit that there is in vanilla and checked if any of them can survive shot in the face from 7.62 - it happens from time to time, I admit, but it doesn't happen consistently. Ususally it happens when a bullet hits an edge of a head/helmet.

The example from yesterday was on a Invade and Annex server against AI. So yeah, that one time can suresly be of lag/desync (thats also a quite big problem to the game)

I personally don't often have this kind of problems with Arma 3, most of the times I've been playing I've gone for Automatic Rifles and CQB (or half long distance as it often gets to), and there I can live with 2-5 shots in the chest to put down. But since I "switched up" to Marksmen in the Swedish Forces I've started playing as sniper/marksmen in the game lately, and so far, aiming for "one shot, one kill" havent been a single success due to "immortal" AI (sure the go down 2-4 shots later, but it still sucks, the realism gets lost a little).

As Jona33 wrote, I can agree with, a major flaw is the visual part, that the just twitch a little and then can with only one round kill you a split second later.

I'm not gonna stop playing the game, I do like it alot, but this core feature of the game, does need a fix/remake.