Sign in to follow this  
bonchie

Enemy soldiers take too much damage

Most reticles have some sort of markings to use on targets below the set zeroing. ie the vertical line above the red dot of the blufor acog is not just there for decoration.

4 head shots is not possible to survive in arma from any weapon

Either

You are missing

There's latency problems

Extended armour is on

Mission design makes it so

Even a pistol to the face scores a one shot kill in vanilla arma 3.

You were hitting him in the upper chest, where the armors is. Go read about sight vs barrel height.

And no one should take four shots to the upper chest and just stand there.

So either way it's a problem.

Getting hit even in armor should cause some kind of reaction besides a tiny twitch with no other effect.

And no one should take four shots to the upper chest and just stand there.

So either way it's a problem.

Getting hit even in armor should cause some kind of reaction besides a tiny twitch with no other effect.

Just sit like the rest of us while we wait for BI to get around to the medical and damage system.

Just sit like the rest of us while we wait for BI to get around to the medical and damage system.

Just dream*

You were hitting him in the upper chest, where the armors is. Go read about sight vs barrel height.

I think he can delineate a shot to the face or torso as opposed to the round going over him but you're right in that he has to mention context. Was it on a server? Was it in MP? What was the server FPS? Were other scripts running at the time? What mods?

People made a similar argument for me when I used to complain with the A.C.E. wounding system at longer ranges (specifically with sniper rifles). You could score hit after hit before the person went down at ranges above 1KM -- with visual confirmation and blood signature for a hit seen, even with a .50 and even with the MK211 RAUFOSS round. Sometimes it's just true, the hit detection and damage propagation systems REALLY are off at times. Other times they're great and perform fine, it's all about balance.

Another thing, in ArmA 2 bullet damage degraded with velocity, 3/4 velocity = 3/4 damage. Assuming the same is true for ArmA 3, 6.5x39mm will only do 70% damage at 400m, so it would take 1/0.7 = 1.4 times as many bullets to kill an enemy compared to 0m.

This is the problem with that hitpoints system, to kill should be about whether the bullet penetrates vital organs, etc, or not, humans are not very tough animals, a hit in an unprotected place from a bullet at 550 m/s will penetrate them just like a bullet at 800 m/s. This would require completely reworking models, damage mechanics, etc so I doubt it will happen anytime soon. But it should be looked at and worked on! :p

Sorry but what it's happening with A3 is a joke. One inconsistency after another.

Btw, the last time I checked it took only 1 headshot and 2 in the chest at 50-100 meters, and now this. What will be the next step to kill the enemy? Shooting a .50 in the eyes and a AT mine in the ***?

Edited by VanZant

Played some single player today.

The "three twitches and die" routine was on full display.

Helmets give 1 extra shot worth of protection, vests 1-2 extra shots. Seems reasonable.

With a proper and decent damage and medical system you can assume those 1 or 2 extra shots, because you have also bleeding and pain (wich would justify the existence of FAKs), incapacitation, shock, confusion and all those things that we already should have right now, at this state of development and especially with this game.

As we have almost nothing, more than 1 head shot is ridiculous and 2 in the chest would be correct if you hit the vest, 1 if not. That's real game balancing, not the silly thing that currently is.

Extended Armour on or off?

I'm betting you still have it switched on.

This option has NO EFFECT on enemy AI. You are mistaken.

With a proper and decent damage and medical system you can assume those 1 or 2 extra shots, because you have also bleeding and pain (wich would justify the existence of FAKs), incapacitation, shock, confusion and all those things that we already should have right now, at this state of development and especially with this game.

As we have almost nothing, more than 1 head shot is ridiculous and 2 in the chest would be correct if you hit the vest, 1 if not. That's real game balancing, not the silly thing that currently is.

Hit detection has issues at the moment. Where you can hit and the visual model are not synced with movement at the moment. But we need body armour to protect in the appropriate locations and not just give the character more health. The body armour would fall under anything designed to stop bullets or at least lessen the impact. This body armour should have its own health value that corresponds to realistic values of bullets vs body armor.

The last update has solved the issue :yay:

Can't use dev branch, could you please give some more info - how is it solved exactly? Everybody drops from the first hit?

Can't use dev branch, could you please give some more info - how is it solved exactly? Everybody drops from the first hit?

Yes but it doesn't mean that 1 shot = 1 kill. Of course the system takes into account the caliber, distance, armor, but there is no more 3 shots in the face situations.

Yes but it doesn't mean that 1 shot = 1 kill. Of course the system takes into account the caliber, distance, armor, but there is no more 3 shots in the face situations.

Well it doesn't really fix the problem (at least I don't think that was the intention). Basically they just took out the body armour "simulation". So now a pistol no longer deflects off a helmet like it used to making for one shot kills in the head. So armour is no longer taken into account, only distance and calibre. I was never able to reproduce three 6.5 to the face (though your video clearly shows you were) but I think that was the wip of a proper armour system - and in reality you can shoot someone many times in a vest with low calibre guns and they will not die so that is not exactly unrealistic - what is however is the fact that they just do a bounce while spinning to face you and shooting you between the eyes.

Overall I don't consider anything to be "fixed" quite yet.

I agree, it's not a fix.

But it's a good compromise for right now. If they get the body armor right in the future, then add it back in. As it is, it's more unrealistic the way it was then just going back to not simulating body armor.

I agree, it's not a fix.

But it's a good compromise for right now. If they get the body armor right in the future, then add it back in. As it is, it's more unrealistic the way it was then just going back to not simulating body armor.

The problem was body armor protected the entire body and not just the locations were it was. They need to rework it and add the plates of armor in the appropriate locations on the vest. Body Armor damage then needs to be separate to player damage.

The problem was body armor protected the entire body and not just the locations were it was. They need to rework it and add the plates of armor in the appropriate locations on the vest. Body Armor damage then needs to be separate to player damage.

I don't even know if that was the problem. For example I was shooting a guy in the helmet with a pistol at point blank, no extended armour. I also used a bullet tracing script. When I shot just the tip of his helmet I would hear a ricochet sound but the bullet path showed that the bullet never came close to the guys head. Then when I shoot the helmet directly it would hit, but not kill. And when I hit the face directly most often it would straight out kill.

With vests I found that it took at least 2 to 4 shots at point blank with a rifle but I swear it always seemed to lean towards 4 when I did more glancing hits at an angle and towards 2 when shooting them straight on.

But then when I put armour on civs it seemed that most often one shot would drop them and sometimes 2.

Altogether its definitely wip and for it ever to be finished we need some proper ragdolling/animations + ai tweaks upon being hit in the armour or not "fatally" as well.

It would be nice to have a thread specifically discussing the armour system in the dev forums, because it seems to be very mysterious right now.

The seemingly overly resilient infantry are my biggest issue with the game at the moment, to be honest. Friends flying as my gunner in the Blackfoot I was piloting have reported direct hits on infantry with the 20mm at 1000 meters, and then not going down but sort of rubber-banding at the waist. I know thats a long distance to be engaging ingame, but still I'd think that would be totally sufficient to kill a person.

The seemingly overly resilient infantry are my biggest issue with the game at the moment, to be honest. Friends flying as my gunner in the Blackfoot I was piloting have reported direct hits on infantry with the 20mm at 1000 meters, and then not going down but sort of rubber-banding at the waist. I know thats a long distance to be engaging ingame, but still I'd think that would be totally sufficient to kill a person.

It's due to a bug were the round slows down to very little damage values. Very evident when shooting from the jet.

Probably read too many 'energy is the primary wounding mechanism' articles. :D

I hope they fix it.

It's due to a bug were the round slows down to very little damage values. Very evident when shooting from the jet.

...but the rounds are explosive. They should do the same amount of splash damage every time.

I defifnitely agree that they take too much, At times it seems like I'm shooting a whole magazine into an enemy only to have them turn right after i finish firing and gun me down.