Sign in to follow this  
Cyper

Reminds me of Flashpoint

I don't quite know how to describe it. The campaign have ''that'' feeling over it. Despite the fact that it's just the first episode. I felt it in a few missions in ARMA 2 but then it sort of faded out. ARMA III campaign reminds me a lot of Operation Flashpoint. But not a ''copy and paste''- sort of way. The game have so far delivered what previous ARMA games haven't delivered as good as ARMA III. ARMA III feels more like a spiritual successor to OFP. The style, the music, the atmosphere, the mission design... There's been a good amount of magic moments such as when you return to Maxwell after

it's been attacked

. I can't wait for the next episode even though im not yet finished with the first one. ARMA III is in my opinion the best game in the franchise since OFP. I just wish there was more content for editor.

But something that caught my mind is that enemy units and other events doesn't feel as randomnized as in CWC. Enemy units often behave the same way, are placed at the same spot etc. In CWC I remember in one mission there was for instance like 20% chance that a light armoured vehicle would show up. We need more ''probability of presence'' and ''placement radius''. Or am I wrong?

The story mirrors it so far.

1) Nato buildup on a remote island where no one thinks anything will happen

2) All hell breaks loose and no one is sure why

3) Player is left behind and misses evacuation

4) Player has to fight as an insurgent

And the next part looks to continue the theme with you fighting with a resistance force.

The feeling worked excellently in a 1985 theme war... not in 2035... or even today for that matter... Or in ALLOT different form... ie. no armour... more aircraft...

I don't quite know how to describe it. The campaign have ''that'' feeling over it. Despite the fact that it's just the first episode. I felt it in a few missions in ARMA 2 but then it sort of faded out. ARMA III campaign reminds me a lot of Operation Flashpoint.

I felt the same, I hope they are gonna keep it up in the next episodes. Mainly I believe that is because this time is a pure SP campaign instead of a SP/COOP of A1 and A2, that allows to give a more immersive atmosphere ( as it's more scripted ).

About how random are the units, I think you are right, and this time was more lineal.

I wish they brought back the original Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising theme for Arma 3. Throat singing = Winning!

I wish they brought back the original Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising

Oh dear... FPDR

I'd personally trade the entire campaign for intresting and original vehicles and gear, because right now Sochor reminds me of Scorcher, Tigris reminds me of Cheetah, Blackfoot looks like closed project from 1995, not to mention all content that was simply copy-pasted from Arma 2.

It's cool that BIS finally managed to make a intresting campaign, but it's one-shot thing, complete-and-forget, while vehicles are used in many community missions, so IMHO improving quality of content should be priority over creating new episodes of campaign.

I'd personally trade the entire campaign for intresting and original vehicles and gear, because right now Sochor reminds me of Scorcher, Tigris reminds me of Cheetah, Blackfoot looks like closed project from 1995, not to mention all content that was simply copy-pasted from Arma 2.

It's cool that BIS finally managed to make a intresting campaign, but it's one-shot thing, complete-and-forget, while vehicles are used in many community missions, so IMHO improving quality of content should be priority over creating new episodes of campaign.

And how is this connected to the topic ?

Oh dear... FPDR

What? That was good music! .... It may not fit the Mediterranean scene or the story at all, but still! It's a good'n! :D That's what I am reminded of when startingt he campaign though I haven't actually got to play more than 5 minutes of it. Maybe tomorrow though.

Well in real life a lot of armor tends to mimic other designs, especially self-propelled artillery. Just look at say... the older M109 Paladin and the new PzH2000. Now I will say that the Crusader looks different and would have been better choice for the Scorcher and even the base models of the support vehicles and what not......Anyway, yeah that's all off topic.

Edited by Squirrel0311

And how is this connected to the topic ?
Maybe you're right - it's slightly offtopic, just decided to share my opinion after reading a lot of enthusiastic comments about first episode.

What? That was good music!

I don't disagree, but you should check up on the history of OFP vs FP: DR ;)

Codemasters got the Operation Flashpoint brand, Bohemia Interactive got everything else... though I have to say that Codemasters pulling out of the shooter genre altogether after Bodycount (which came after Red River) was icing on the cake.

I agree that the campaign content is excellent, however it is harder to be immersed by the situation in what is supposedly 2035 than in 1985.

I agree that the campaign content is excellent, however it is harder to be immersed by the situation in what is supposedly 2035 than in 1985.

IMHO the camp Maxwell missions are unimmersive, it looks like dynamic missions created numerous times by mission makers. I'm waiting for more immersive missions in the next episodes.

I don't see why? Even with nowadays best technology its possible to get isolated. Just think that satellites take 24h to fly in the same spot ( that's why drones are the main source of recon, but even they are limited ), radios waves have physical range limitations... The fog of war still exists.

Besides that AAF was supposed to be an allied country, so that would increase the reaction time.

Oh dear... FPDR

You selectively omitted the word "theme" for the opportunity to face palm, now you get one in return face_palm.gif