15 seconds to rename folders, hours to download 10 gigs.

Nope, you don't download a single byte when you switch between branches. Unless there's an update of course, and those are usually just a few MB.

Now the difference in stamina recovery is too minimal between light load out and heavy loadout :mad: Before there was more difference but now it's way too small to make enough difference.

Convinced a friend to come play with me since he didn't play in a while because of performance issues. I told him: Dude! The game is getting a lot better!

Yup he has more FPS but he rage quit the game in less than 15 minutes because he couldn't hit anything that was moving because of the extreme sway of the reticle.

QFT !

I think this is the ultimate new player repeller...

And of course, no weapon resting, no bidop deployment...

I am getting more used to the new fatigue and enjoying it. I am still on the last "Release" version, though. Not sure if this has been changed, but one thing I noticed that I think needs adjusting (if it hasn't been already) is the recoil/vertical raising when firing the MX200 machine gun while prone. It kicks way too much. The model even shows a bi-pod, it should be very stable while lieing down. I should be able to give medium to long bursts of fire without the muzzle climbing to the sky after a second or two.

Doesn't barrel heat and magazine feeding become the main issue when prone with machine gun? I.e they don't really have to worry about muzzle kick? If heat and jamming are what's required to properly "balance" the Machine Gun while prone...then BIS best get at it...especially as we are all simulatory with infantry now.... :)

Edited by -=seany=-

I have tested the changes and my impression is very negative.

To me right now the game it's unplayable. The sway is very high and there's no way to reduce.

I have more problems with shooting using long distance shights (shooting in short distance ) than short distance sights???

I think will be a good idea based the sway on the number of the player shoot.

We must reduce the speed with automatic machine guns. It is very realistic that they can do 360 degree spins with something that weighs more than 15 kg.

Edited by djotacon

Like yesterday, steam downloaded some 3.7 gb update for Arma 3 dev. No clue what that was.

Probably a small tweak to a big .pbo. ArmA III is poorly set-up for Steam, since it's files are not fragmented much, meaning a small update necessitates re-downloading a whole big .pbo file. A few kB config tweak results in a multi-GB update if it's in a particularly big .pbo file.

Regarding sway, I found it a bit excessive, but not too bad.

Nope, you don't download a single byte when you switch between branches. Unless there's an update of course, and those are usually just a few MB.

Funny, because I switched between stable and dev and it had to download over 700 MB each time...

Funny, because I switched between stable and dev and it had to download over 700 MB each time...

Same here. Not really an option for those who have slow bandwith or limited data usage (Luckily no longer me though:))

As for the fatigue system: I like it but there are two things I personally am not particularly fond of:

1. Carrying heavier loads seems not to have that much effect on how fast you initially fatigue. I know this is a difficult one to balance with enjoyable gameplay but the immediate effects of carrying heavy stuff doesn't seem as nearly as bad as it should be. Perhaps even just making sprinting alone much more taxing for heavily loaded players would get that "immediately tiring feeling" without making it totally "unplayable" to carry a lot of stuff and keep pace with a jogging unit. Its a tough one to balance out but right now the immediate effects of being heavily loaded are pretty nonexistant.
  2. This one is the most important to me - Recovery from fatigue is extremely fast when prone. You can sprint 50 metres, go prone for a few moments, sprint 50 metres, go prone for a few seconds forever and ever. In my opinion that isn't right and from a realism perspective its also off. Prone is basically an instant fatigue recovery button as it stands now. Its kind of a cheap cheat to bypass a really awesome system. I really hope the devs might realize this and make it less so. It should take a while to fully 100% recover in any stance, in my opinion at least.

Something I was really impressed to find out is that even getting up from prone fatigues you. Dropping down as well, though not as much. Awesome attention to detail BIS! Keep it up!

Something I was really impressed to find out is that even getting up from prone fatigues you. Dropping down as well, though not as much. Awesome attention to detail BIS! Keep it up!
Didn't actually test the rising part, but I noticed the "dropping down"... it is, after all, quicker to prone and more 'automated' than the less fatiguing option of going into the crouch and then stopping right before dropping to prone.

You mean normally switching through Steam options? I was talking about the method I linked earlier. I.e. making a copy of the Steamapps folder and just renaming them accordingly. Then changing between branches downloads nothing if there hasn't been any updates.

You mean normally switching through Steam options? I was talking about the method I linked earlier. I.e. making a copy of the Steamapps folder and just renaming them accordingly. Then changing between branches downloads nothing if there hasn't been any updates.

If he was actually switching it in Steam, he would have to download GBs of data. Not 700mb.

If he was actually switching it in Steam, he would have to download GBs of data. Not 700mb.

The difference is currently 700MB so that's what he meant.

I see. So basically you have to maintain two full installs of ArmA 3 for that method? No thanks...SSD is getting full enough as it is to dedicate an additional 25 GB (game + mods) to A3. Interesting workaround, though.

Yeah, no, I meant switching in Steam. I guess the dev branch only modifies ~700 MB worth of files or so, currently. Obviously if there is a huge update that can balloon quite quickly, though.

I see. So basically you have to maintain two full installs of ArmA 3 for that method? No thanks...SSD is getting full enough as it is to dedicate an additional 25 GB (game + mods) to A3. Interesting workaround, though.

You're right, that's why I keep my mods in the Documents\Arma 3 folder. So it's just the normal installation's worth (12GB) of wasted space on the SSD and I don't have to update the mods twice.

Walking through some heavy rain today I wondered: Shouldn't wind and weather also have a severe impact on your fatigue as a soldier? It would probably be a pain to implement this but it would certaily add some interesting amount of depth to mission planning. Right now rain and wind are nothing more but ambience, which is a little unfortunate.

Walking through some heavy rain today I wondered: Shouldn't wind and weather also have a severe impact on your fatigue as a soldier? It would probably be a pain to implement this but it would certaily add some interesting amount of depth to mission planning. Right now rain and wind are nothing more but ambience, which is a little unfortunate.

Wind becomes an issue only when it's really hard, rain on the other hand quickly adds a few pounds of weight to your stuff.

Fellas,

I feel this ought to be a server operators option. Like disabling 3rd person view.

I think your work is great on it. I just think you have angered so many CASUAL players that this extreme feature should be able to be toned down or off. I bet hard core server players would love this. Your just making way too many noobs frustrated.

I guess it could be a difficulty option, but that probably just complicates things and throws another wrench into the mix for setting up servers, also imagine if people left your server because they did not like your fatigue settings or vice versa....

Sounds ridiculous but you would be surprised at how little patience some have.

(Lol my 222nd post, nice)

Fellas,

I feel this ought to be a server operators option. Like disabling 3rd person view.

I think your work is great on it. I just think you have angered so many CASUAL players that this extreme feature should be able to be toned down or off. I bet hard core server players would love this. Your just making way too many noobs frustrated.

How are those "noobs" ever gonna evolve into more advanced players if they keep playing without core gameplay mechanics? This is not a hardcore feature, it just requires some amount of adaption that you should be able to expect from any serious milsim player, noob or not. Frustration has ever since been part of the OPF/Arma experience.

No need to fragment the Arma player base any further by making every gameplay mechanic optional.

Fellas,

They are still perfecting it. And still have to add the inertia. Which when removed because it was not ready at bootcamp caused problems to the other new features.

Just keep the faith and see where they. Can get it to. Before we shoot it down. Could be great.

Guess this thread is as good as any for my questions.

I host a private server for me and my buddies to play some missions on but recently with the fatigue and sway "features". Me & buddies are getting annoyed so much so that they don't even wanna play anymore and we have been playing since arma 2 (mostly wasteland thou)

We usually play on veteran settings (just so we can have third person view and see friendlys otherwise we would play on elite) Now I've been searching the googles for how to turn of fatigue (why do we cloth/vest/backpack limits to have another weight limit) and the amazing sway off but I mostly found nothing or addons. I don't wanna download addons... is there no setting ingame to turn this off?

Guess this thread is as good as any for my questions.

I host a private server for me and my buddies to play some missions on but recently with the fatigue and sway "features". Me & buddies are getting annoyed so much so that they don't even wanna play anymore and we have been playing since arma 2 (mostly wasteland thou)

We usually play on veteran settings (just so we can have third person view and see friendlys otherwise we would play on elite) Now I've been searching the googles for how to turn of fatigue (why do we cloth/vest/backpack limits to have another weight limit) and the amazing sway off but I mostly found nothing or addons. I don't wanna download addons... is there no setting ingame to turn this off?

Mao's addon for sway/fatigue. http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26267

For disabling fatigue if you made the mission: Put 'this enablefatigue false;' in the initialization field of every playable unit.

The new fatigue and movements in the dev branch are still very good, and it is clear that they are working hard. For the next update if it comes with inertia included will be a revolution never before seen. :popcornsmilie: :icon_dj::yay: