Sign in to follow this  
Michele

bad italian translation

I just wanted to point out another mistake in the translation, i appreciate the work he has done and continues to do Bohemia, but the error that i found really funny :D ; was translated "marshal" (name of the tank) in "Maresciallo"which in Italian means" first Sergeant" (in the first mission).

I hope that i have made ​​it clear, if i knew English perfectly there was no need to write in this thread.

Also the entire Portuguese translation in the game isn't the best and there is a Portuguese guy in the team :rolleyes:

Lol videogame publishers should really up their standards regarding translations in general. I remember lots of funky things from various games, for example "suppressing fire" translated with "cessare il fuoco" which means "cease fire" in MGS4, or "bipod" in BF3 translated with "bipode" which is not even a word in the Italian dictionary and according to pre-ADSL era books is "bipiede", just to name the first few that come to mind.

It looks as if they translate games with google and/or just pick translations totally out of context. Games look like they' re translated by people who have no knowledge what so ever about what they are working on (like common military terms) and are too lazy or stupid to do a 5 minute google search.

I currently can't play games in Italian which is my native language without feeling offended. There are people looking for jobs here what the hell! ;)

With all due respect . . . how do other developers do translations? They hire people who do that for them most probably native speaking people. So this is a bit of a lame excuse that they are a Czech based software house, furthermore there are people who evidentially still find flaws in the translation so why would they complain if it's completely fixed. I could care less about translations since I've always installed the english version of ArmA. Moreover as I already stated there are more pressing issues to be fixed rather than translations. As you said not a big deal.

cheers

The excuse that they are Czech based means that if they pay people to do something, like a translation, they can't find the error easily, but that they are gonna find it when the community report it.

It wasn't an excuse like "they are Czech, it's normal they make mistakes in the Italian translation".

Anyway, of course other software house do it in the same way, and that's way it's easy to find errors even in other games.

I mean it's obviously that they hired someone who is native speaking, the game conversations are not translated using Google translate.

I said it was fixed the translation in the first episode, and I think even in the second if there were errors, and now that people report other errors they are gonna fix these errors too. ^^

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Of course Bis don't translate directly the game, but probably pay someone else to do it.

But then you sort of make sure the person either knows Italian or speaks Italian.

And if they really did pay someone to do this he/she literally just robbed them.

But then you sort of make sure the person either knows Italian or speaks Italian.

And if they really did pay someone to do this he/she literally just robbed them.

I can't say about this.

But how many errors there are in the translation?

Does it make the game not understandable?

I'm asking because I played the campaign and I didn't notice anything because I don't read the subtitles, but I mean, if there are a couple of errors it's not a big deal.

Of course personally if I payed someone to do something and it fucked up everything I would be mad, but if he did the right job and there would be some little physiological errors it would be OK.

Most of the things are lost in translation (named clip(pente) to the magazine(carregador))and there are occasionally bad verbal tenses and sentences structure.

Most of the things are lost in translation (named clip(pente) to the magazine(carregador))and there are occasionally bad verbal tenses and sentences structure.

?

EDIT: Oh you are referring to the Portuguese translation.

Ok guys I think we are going a little off-topic, why we just don't write down an error list ?

Let's begin :

1) The title of the third episode (Win) has been translated like a noun (VITTORIA) not as a verb (VINCI). This is really evident and I think they should fix it, also because the other two episodes has been translated correctly.

Who has translated the campaign ?

Certainly not an italian national...

I give you some samples I found in the "Survive" campaign:

1) UK soldier "Miller" is translated as the person that works in a mill! (when you approach him before selecting a new mission)

2) "Decommisioning" is translated literally and in italian language simply doesn't exist this word!

3) Camp Maxwell is located geographically in "central Stratis" the central part of Stratis... but here Stratis is the name of some sort of "central" (Centrale Stratis)

I remember when someone called Wergio did a new translation to italian language for Operation Flashpoint, and it was manteined by BIS in all of the following releases!

However the game and the campaign is really well done and I'm glad to own it :)

secondo me, hanno usato Google Translate ... che macello!