Sign in to follow this  
Michele

bad italian translation

Who has translated the campaign ?

Certainly not an italian national...

I give you some samples I found in the "Survive" campaign:

1) UK soldier "Miller" is translated as the person that works in a mill! (when you approach him before selecting a new mission)

2) "Decommisioning" is translated literally and in italian language simply doesn't exist this word!

3) Camp Maxwell is located geographically in "central Stratis" the central part of Stratis... but here Stratis is the name of some sort of "central" (Centrale Stratis)

I remember when someone called Wergio did a new translation to italian language for Operation Flashpoint, and it was manteined by BIS in all of the following releases!

However the game and the campaign is really well done and I'm glad to own it :)

Thanks for the feedback I've passed it on :)

Hello,

thanks for the feedback. We will take appropriate action.

and i forgot :

4) The FIA resistance "cell" operating in Stratis..."cell" is translated as the place where prisoners are held!

Thanks Placebo and Johny

If you guys need any help from the community, I'm pretty sure that most of the Italians on the forum will be glad to help! :)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hehe, also realised that, but it was not really gamebreaking, nor is it a big deal.

Still loving the campaign, best since operation flashpoint, and also gets the feeling of it back in some parts :)

Thx for fast response - and maybe really get some italien dudes to translate it? - But Man.. this DEV answers + answer time and motivation to fix smth, at some important bugs / feature topics :inlove:

Didn't play the SP already but I think decommissioning could be translated in "disarmare", if I understood the context in which it's used

I think decommissioning could be translated in "disarmare", if I understood the context in which it's used

The translation for "decommissioning" is "smantellare"

First time I heard it, I spent some minutes thinking...what are they talking about!! ahahaha :)

again - thanks everyone for the feedback. Without it, it is really hard to judge the quality of the translation.

So keep up the good work and if anyone here is willing to help improve the localization, just send an email to a3_localizations@bistudio.com and we can go through the details.

Another bad transaltion is in Command Menu "formations / file" in ArmA 2 has been translated as "Formazione/Colonna Compatta" (right), now in ArmA 3 is "Fromazione/Dossier", I think it's definitely wrong

Ps, campaign really nice

Edited by Sberla101

LOL sberla you better proofreading for any typoes if you give suggestions...

Formazione ;)

As per the most precise transaltion i think that File is better transalted as "Fila indiana", even though colonna compatta gives the idea of a column without much spacing.

you excuse me, I'm playing too much diablo 3 :p

For the command "FILE" I think the correct translation is just "Fila Compatta" and not "Fila Indiana" the latter already exists "Column"

You, BIS guys, post all dialogues here.

Can't fix the voice (you probably alrdy hired actors) but we can spellcheck the text.

Alrdy completed 1st episode but it could need a spoiler alert.

This is pretty OT but i have to say it. "Formazione/Dossier" really kills me. it reminds me of Vampire the masquerade roleplay handbook, that thinking of being posh and poncey thought of having a fancy dancing party traditionally held in Venice (how very decadent), and thus named in italian. Only they chose the wrong translation of the english word ball, thus picking the meaning of the spherical object used to play soccer and oher games. So at the end you got all these decadent elegant vampires all around enjoying their Palla Grande. An immersion killer, if you ask me.

Can't fix the voice (you probably alrdy hired actors)

What voice ? The voice is english only, isn't it ?

What voice ? The voice is english only, isn't it ?

I don't know... I am italian and I haven't seen the italian text or heard italian voices at all.

Just saying we could spellcheck the italian texts BEFORE they work on the other episodes so the new italian players will find their campaigns fixed.

Another bad transaltion is in Command Menu "formations / file" in ArmA 2 has been translated as "Formazione/Colonna Compatta" (right), now in ArmA 3 is "Fromazione/Dossier", I think it's definitely wrong

Ps, campaign really nice

it's colonna compatta such as it is in Arma 2 and Armed Assault, i've opened a feedback tracker more than 1 month ago, wrote an email at the address a3_localizations@bistudio.com , after today's patch there's just miller with correct name miller and not mugnaio, but formation file is still formazione dossier instead of "colonna compatta" (such as it was in Armed Assault and Arma 2)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15284

submitted 2013-10-08 14:38

bloody Europe!! Why don't you all just speak English!! just kidding :) the lost in translation for French and Italian translations is frankly hilarious.

Its like the european version of "All Your Base Are Belong To US"

Well at least the german translation got it right this time, at least I didn´t notice anything weird.

Arma 2 had an extremely crappy translation in german. Whole parts of the dialogue were exchanged for something else.

Example:

Mission Manhattan, your first task is to talk to Sgt. Smith at the gate. He says something like: Welcome to the big craple. German Translation was something along the lines of: Welcome to Smithies shitty city. That had to be the worst subtitels ever.

I guess BIS got some bigger fish to fry rather than correct bad translations. This shouldn't be taken as that it's OK to leave it in it's current state. I believe there are more urgent and pressing issues to fix even before they even think starting to fix this. If it get's fixed at all.

Or you just do it right from the beginning. Using google translate or whatever they used is just a testament to how the whole game is built. Shortcuts extraordinaire.

Triple A my .....

Or you just do it right from the beginning. Using google translate or whatever they used is just a testament to how the whole game is built. Shortcuts extraordinaire.

Triple A my .....

Well try to explain that to BIS . . . good luck with that. :)

I guess BIS got some bigger fish to fry rather than correct bad translations. This shouldn't be taken as that it's OK to leave it in it's current state. I believe there are more urgent and pressing issues to fix even before they even think starting to fix this. If it get's fixed at all.

Triple A my .....

I would like to say something.

Of course Bis don't translate directly the game, but probably pay someone else to do it.

Most of the time the people who translate don't have any context or else, so mistake happen.

How would, a Czech based software house, be able to know if something it's wrong in the Italian translation?

Of course it will be aware when the community find those errors.

A lot of people here think that Bis won't do anything to fix those errors, and that's not true.

When this thread was open, someone from BIS replied and asked if someone would help them fix the bad translation.

The translation was fixed.

So now it's gonna be probably the same way, you reported the errore and they will fix it.

Not a big deal.

Edited by Antorugby

I would like to say something.

Of course Bis don't translate directly the game, but probably pay someone else to do it.

Most of the time the people who translate don't have any context or else, so mistake happen.

How would, a Czech based software house, be able to know if something it's wrong in the Italian translation?

Of course it will be aware when the community find those errors.

A lot of people here think that Bis won't do anything to fix those errors, and that's not true.

When this thread was open, someone from BIS replied and asked if someone would help them fix the bad translation.

The translation was fixed.

So now it's gonna be probably the same way, you reported the errore and they will fix it.

Not a big deal.

With all due respect . . . how do other developers do translations? They hire people who do that for them most probably native speaking people. So this is a bit of a lame excuse that they are a Czech based software house, furthermore there are people who evidentially still find flaws in the translation so why would they complain if it's completely fixed. I could care less about translations since I've always installed the english version of ArmA. Moreover as I already stated there are more pressing issues to be fixed rather than translations. As you said not a big deal.

cheers