Sign in to follow this  
Cloney

Most important event in the 20th century

My personal opinion has to be that World War I was the single most important event in the 20th century. This is how I reason it.

World War I:

Caused....

>African Wars for Independence

>Versailles Treaty (Hitler said FUCK IT anyway)

>Hitler and the Nazi Party

>Extreme Anti-Semitism in Germany (Hitler saying that the Jews were responsible for their defeat)

>Catalyst for the Communist Revolution in Russia.. (Though it had been brewing for many years)

>World War 2

World War II:

>Cold War

>Technological Leaps and Bounds

>Wars in the Middle East

>Israel (Reason for wars in middle east... No offense to Avon)

Cold War:

>Korean War

>Vietnam War (DAMN YOU McNamara!wink.gif

>East European Uprisings

>Afghanistan's current situation

>Collapse of the Soviet Union

etc. etc. etc.

What do you guys think?

I think you have just shown that one event can't be looked at alone, there is no single most important event as they are all interlinked.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ Aug. 27 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you have just shown that one event can't be looked at alone, there is no single most important event as they are all interlinked.<span id='postcolor'>

That's the beauty of history, it all seems to fit together somehow, however mad it is smile.gif Nothing is an important event all by itself, it is all the result of other events, causing other important events in turn smile.gif

My favourite symbol for History was "The cobweb of events" smile.gif

i dont know if you can say their was one most important event.... their were many very important developments... for example the one of the car, the plane, and the communication and computer technology

WW2 probably, it changed the world in so many ways for better and worse. A-bombs came out of that conflict but i reckon they aren't a stupendously bad thing in history, then all the additional technology - rockets, mass production, engineering, medical science etc... Then theres all the heroism, acts of good will, and the resultant alliances that have made the world a safer place, for yanks and europeans at least anyway. I also like the fact the church was exposed as the terrible dictatorship of exploitation and betrayal that it has always been. And of course a lot of football rivalries have been spawned by WW2. Its also an incredibly interesting thing to study, imho the only interesting thing they taught in history

I think you need to reread the title Denoir. He was asking for the most significant event in the 20th century, not the most insignificant tounge.gif

World War 1 and World War 2 completely shifted the balance of power across the world, so i would say they were fairly important

i'm gonna kick the person that says something about the WTC in his/her face!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 27 2002,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My birth, what else? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yes, significantly the most unfortunate thing to happen to humanity. wow.gifwink.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Aug. 26 2002,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 27 2002,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My birth, what else? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yes, significantly the most unfortunate thing to happen to humanity. wow.gif  wink.gif  biggrin.gif  tounge.gif  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch, that hurts....

most significant invention of the 20th century?

invention of easy, good tasting glues/pastes biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Aug. 27 2002,18:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My personal opinion has to be that World War I was the single most important event in the 20th century.<span id='postcolor'>

I would have thought that someone here would have said BIS' start of the development of OFP. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 27 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'm gonna kick the person that says something about the WTC in his/her face!<span id='postcolor'>

his wink.gif

Perhaps if there was "christians vs. muslims" style world war, it would have the same effect upon earth as Internet, TV, Railroads, Penicilin, Electricity etc., i.e. a radical change in lifestyle of hundreds of millions of people.

But I think in centuries from now, the 20th century will be remembered for introducing into human life:

a) Commercials

and as a "b.t.w."

b) Mass Communication

c) Space Travel

d) AI

e) Genetics

f) Penicilin

g) The discovery of Quantum physics (theory, mechanics....)

Most certainly the most advanced science of 20:th century (of which I personally probably understand less then even Einstein wink.gif ), that went through all 100 years. It have only started indeed, but might be of crucial importance in the future. Just look at how if might affect us computer nerds:

Piss off bit, welcome Qbit!

(yes I am just a confused Quantum amateur.... smile.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Aug. 27 2002,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To improve the "water" problem! Cause water will be the oil of the 21st century.<span id='postcolor'>

I'm pretty sure water will be in large supply in the 21st (since the world will be covered in more of it and we have discovered that whole desalinisation thingy)

Hmmm i wouldn't trust on that.

Do you think the water that covers 2/3 of our earth is drinkable?

Water is gonna be the most important thing, you need water for everything, you can use dirty water for machines and stuff like that but you need healthy water to drink.

There'll be a lot of trouble getting water that is drinkable... confused.gif

my birth

edit : just noticed that somebody else said it ..............

yes, significantly the most unfortunate thing to happen to humanity.

edit : just noticed that somebody else said it ..............

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 27 2002,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm i wouldn't trust on that.

Do you think the water that covers 2/3 of our earth is drinkable?

Water is gonna be the most important thing, you need water for everything, you can use dirty water for machines and stuff like that but you need healthy water to drink.

There'll be a lot of trouble getting water that is drinkable...  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, and to make all that water drinkable we have desalinisation plants that filter out the impurities and make it usable

have you never played sim city?  biggrin.gif

Hehe, i don't play games like that smile.gif

You are right, but lots of countries don't have stuff like that, water will be rather expensive i think...

Bad stuff will happen to earth too, even now we can see what happens because of all our factories and cars. (the floods, i mean).

This'll get worse and worse, many things'll be destroyed.

I still believe that water will be precious smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 27 2002,23:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hehe, i don't play games like that smile.gif

You are right, but lots of countries don't have stuff like that, water will be rather expensive i think...

Bad stuff will happen to earth too, even now we can see what happens because of all our factories and cars.  (the floods, i mean).

This'll get worse and worse, many things'll be destroyed.

I still believe that water will be precious smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well it goes without saying that the world is gonna seriously naffed up in the 21st because of global warming, but i'd assume we be prepared for the water crisis, and we'll probably be facing bigger problems like mosquito migrations, hurricanes, dinosaurs and big brother 3

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Aug. 27 2002,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'm gonna kick the person that says something about the WTC in his/her face!<span id='postcolor'>

It didn't happen in the 20th century wink.gif