Sign in to follow this  
Ruud van Nistelrooy

Colonies

For my Geography coursework i have to write about the impact Football and Rugby have on International migration, and i have to put down loads of stuff about colonies and the links that are evident in football today from the days colonisation.

Obvious ones are France and senegal, Portugal and Brazil, but the more obscure ones i have no idea about. I would've assumed all of South America except from Brazil were all Spanish, but then i found out the Dutch were in Surinam and stuff, and most of Africa is a blank to me.

Can someone say which African and South American countries were colonised by a European country? My internet searches last night didn't produce many helpful results

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruud van Nistelrooy @ Aug. 27 2002,14:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For my Geography coursework i have to write about the impact Football and Rugby have on International migration, and i have to put down loads of stuff about colonies and the links that are evident in football today from the days colonisation.<span id='postcolor'>

huh ?

algeria , moroco , tunisia , senegal and some others were french colonies

In the late 1700's the American colonies rebelled against the English Kingdom by calling football soccer and rugby football.

And that's how the west was won.

British Empire in Africa:

Gambia

Sierra Leone

Gold Coast

Togoland

Nigeria

Cameroon

Egypt

Sudan

Somaliland

Uganda

Kenya

Tanganyika

Northern Rhodesia

Bechuanaland

South West Africa

Southern Africa

Rhodesia

Nyasaland

These are only the names of the countries at the time. Some of these countries have split into more countries.

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruud van Nistelrooy @ Aug. 27 2002,14wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For my Geography coursework i have to write about the impact Football and Rugby have on International migration, and i have to put down loads of stuff about colonies and the links that are evident in football today from the days colonisation.<span id='postcolor'>

I think you might have meant: the impact that international migration has had on football and rugby.

Namibia and Togo have been german, but not for very long, IIRC.

Edit: made a little search and found some more info:

Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi as Deutsch-Ost-Afrika

Kamerun as Kamerun

Togo as Togo

Namibia as Deutsch-Sued-West-Afrika

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Aug. 27 2002,14:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In the late 1700's the American colonies rebelled against the English Kingdom by calling football soccer and rugby football.

And that's how the west was won.<span id='postcolor'>

The day civilization turned mad and pointless sad.gif

Rugby is rugby ffs....why call it football if football is football and not soccer confused.gif

Thank god I'm Greek, we have our own words for that tounge.gif

Belgium had taken over Rwanda and Burundi after the first or second world war.

Yepp, all german colonies were lost after WW1. And as we got them only at about 1885 we had only 30 years to exploit them. That's one reason why the germans are considered the better colonists, compared to Holland, France, England, Belgium a.s.o. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Aug. 27 2002,14:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruud van Nistelrooy @ Aug. 27 2002,14<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For my Geography coursework i have to write about the impact Football and Rugby have on International migration, and i have to put down loads of stuff about colonies and the links that are evident in football today from the days colonisation.<span id='postcolor'>

I think you might have meant: the impact that international migration has had on football and rugby.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats part of the coursework i think, but the actual question was -

The development of the global sports industry has led to a complex pattern of international migration. With referance to two contrasting sports, explain.

Its all about the transfer market and the factors that affect it (that lead to complex patterns of migration)

Thanks for the lists ppl  smile.gif

Cricket and former British dominions is an interesting study, just look at British Asians and who they support. The cricket link to their ancestral home is very strong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ Aug. 27 2002,16:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cricket and former British dominions is an interesting study, just look at British Asians and who they support. The cricket link to their ancestral home is very strong.<span id='postcolor'>

good point.

i see a lot of Indian, Pakistanis playing in cricket tournaments.

soccer(football) is VERY popular in South America where they have been colonies by Brazilizans and Portugese.