Sign in to follow this  
armilio

the MXM is too weak?

In theory MXM is the designated marksman rifle of BLUFOR force. But a marksman rifle have to hit up to 800m! instead MXM is useless after 600m, and "damage" is like AssaultRifle: 2-3 shot for kill. The Mk18 ABR (7.62mm) is by far better: range of 800m and do more damage: 1-2 shot for kill. Rahim also, the new marksman rifle, is better: has only 10 cartridge mag, but it has the same caliber (and same damage) than MK18. Why Bohemia chose not to give practically a marksman-rifle to BLUFOR? i'm wrong something?

There is a bug right now with bullets loosing too much power over time. It is a known issue.

There is a bug right now with bullets loosing too much power over time. It is a known issue.

But only with MXM? is a bug or a choice?

But only with MXM? is a bug or a choice?

Choice? It's a bug, that will eventually be fixed.

In theory MXM is the designated marksman rifle of BLUFOR force. But a marksman rifle have to hit up to 800m! instead MXM is useless after 600m, and "damage" is like AssaultRifle: 2-3 shot for kill. The Mk18 ABR (7.62mm) is by far better: range of 800m and do more damage: 1-2 shot for kill. Rahim also, the new marksman rifle, is better: has only 10 cartridge mag, but it has the same caliber (and same damage) than MK18. Why Bohemia chose not to give practically a marksman-rifle to BLUFOR? i'm wrong something?

How exactly should the MXM do more damage then the normal assault rifle. They are both 6.5mm,

The MXM should only have a accuracy advantage due to the longer barrel, which it has.

People need to stop making bullshit threads. The MXM has a accuracy advantage as well as ammo compatibility.

Thats the whole point of a marksman rifle. Its not a sniper rifle. Its used at medium to longe range.

Edited by defk0n_NL

Actually longer barrels gives a higher muzzle velocity and therefor higher kinetic energy

Actually longer barrels gives a higher muzzle velocity and therefor higher kinetic energy

It also has a longer range than the normal MX, or so i believe.

The EBR, probably next up in the chart, has a higher caliber + long barrel.

Also, more kinetic energy does not correlate to higher damage.

Its possible for a slower bullet to do more damage then a fast one.

Yeah I think the MXM is supposed to be what the Mk12 is now.. A special purpose rifle. A little more range and maybe slightly powerful but still firing a 5.56.

And yeah the Mk14 EBR is your actual Designated Marksman Rifle.

The MXM is a DMR, not a sniper rifle. 6.5mm is supposed to be a gap-bridging cartridge, like the real world 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. Not supposed to equal 7.62 NATO. Keep in mind that More Barrel Length= More velocity is an oversimplification. A load can be specifically tailored around a certain barrel length and not generate any more velocity with a longer barrel. I think 600 Meters is realistic for a Mid-power cartridge.

I'd like to see a proper .30 Caliber sniper rifle for BLUFOR though, Going from the 6.5mm straight to the heavy .408 is a little goofy. Likewise, BLUFOR and Indy could both use MMG's.

Also, this; "Because if your riflemen can't reach it, your marksman can. If your marksman can't reach it, your sniper can. If your sniper can't reach it, your arty/air can. If they can't reach it then !@#$ that target. He isn't even worried about you."

@lesscubes: the 6.5 in ArmA is CASELESS. It isnt meant to bridge anywhere, it's a class of it's own. I dont know the supposed grains of this particular bullet, it's certainly better than the 5.56, but as far as i understood it i have doubt that it should be any better than the 7.62 which is the lenght of the bullet including its metal jacket. It is out of question that ni game the 7.62 performs brilliantly better than the 6.5

How exactly should the MXM do more damage then the normal assault rifle. They are both 6.5mm,

The MXM should only have a accuracy advantage due to the longer barrel, which it has.

People need to stop making bullshit threads. The MXM has a accuracy advantage as well as ammo compatibility.

Thats the whole point of a marksman rifle. Its not a sniper rifle. Its used at medium to longe range.

Ehi, calm down.

I know he have the same caliber, but why? Why a marksman-rifle with the same caliber of assault rifle? does not make much sense. Is not really a marksman rifle, is an assault rifle with a longer barrel. When actual trend of Western armies is a marksman-rifle made ​​and designed just for that job, on a more powerful caliber (7.62x51mm). Also the DM version of SCAR is a 7.62mm rifle, very different from the main design of the SCAR.

People say "is a marksman rifle, not a sniper rifle" maybe don't know marksman rifle like SR25 or mk14 is semiautomatic (7.62mm) rifle with max-range of 800m. The mxm is greatly underpowered, and that's what I wanted to talk about here on the forum. Without flaming: This is a gaming-forum, or not? maybe we are talking about the fate of the world and i did not know.

For example other people told me that it should be a bug, or talking about mk12, and it answers my question. Thanks for your answers.

Edited by Armilio

"Because if your riflemen can't reach it, your marksman can. If your marksman can't reach it, your sniper can. If your sniper can't reach it, your arty/air can. If they can't reach it then !@#$ that target. He isn't even worried about you."

Sigging that.

The BLUFOR Recon Marksman has been given a Mk.18 EBR in today's dev-branch patch. The British CTRG marksman ("James" IIRC) also has a Mk.18

I know he have the same caliber, but why? Why a marksman-rifle with the same caliber of assault rifle? does not make much sense.

It uses the same ammo as all the other weapons in your squad, makes sense to me.

@lesscubes: the 6.5 in ArmA is CASELESS. It isnt meant to bridge anywhere, it's a class of it's own. I dont know the supposed grains of this particular bullet, it's certainly better than the 5.56, but as far as i understood it i have doubt that it should be any better than the 7.62 which is the lenght of the bullet including its metal jacket. It is out of question that ni game the 7.62 performs brilliantly better than the 6.5

Slightly confused by your wording. I'm saying that the 6.5 likely is meant to fill the gap between 5.56 NATO (which it replaced in NATO service) and full-power rifle cartridges like 7.62x51 NATO and 7.62x54R. It probably has a 90-130 grain bullet (The range that current 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 Remington SPC rounds fit in.) or about 40 grains heavier than the 5.56. It should pack a wallop. BUT, it shouldn't be anywhere near as stout as the 140-180 Grain 7.62mm NATO bullet.

Sigging that.

I can't claim credit for the quote, but it fits the discussion.

Anyhow, keep shooting the bad man until he stops shooting you. Problem solved!;)

@lesscubes i was referring to the lenght and weight of the case in the 7.62 and 5.56. I have yet to understand the performances of 6.65 compared to 7.62. Are 6.65 shorter and lighter than 5.56 and 7.62?

Edited by Maffa

Sounds like the MXM was meant to be along similar lines as the SAM-R/SDM-R.

Nail on the head.

That's exactly what it's supposed to be, a Special Purpose Rifle, like the Mk12. It's not a DMR, I know because I was a DM. Rifles like the Mk12 or what the MXM is are given out normally to companies before they go over. You may get one per squad if they have enough (They normally don't.) Or more than likely you get one per platoon. The person that gets the rifle isn't a DM...He's just....a marksman. They don't go to DM school and the most they usually get is a week or two of classes from the STA platoon or something.. even then that's usually only if they have time.

And yes they use the same ammo as the standard rifles because sharing is caring. Not to mention some if not most BN/CO SOP is that you carry your Marskman rifle, plus your regular rifle. This way, in theory...if one goes down you still have the other. It's still a B to carry around though.

@Maffa

What I'm saying is that whether it has a case or not, it's a infantry small arm cartridge so it's comparable to what else is in the game... It MIGHT actually be shorter than either cartridge, the MX magazines LOOK shorter, and minus the weight of a brass or steel case and it should be lighter too. That doesn't necessarily mean the power is less or more, however.

It's deployed in a standard sized carbine, it has similar, perhaps slightly higher recoil than the 5.56mm Tavor and FN2000's in game. Logically it HAS to be a intermediate cartridge that sits in-between the current 5.56 and 7.62NATO rounds, or else why would they come up with a new caliber?

There's a fair amount of debate over replacing the 5.56 in US Military use (which given history would likely mean the rest of NATO) with something like the Remington 6.8x43 SPC or the 6.5 Grendel based on experience in Afghanistan. The 5.56 tears stuff up at short range, but it's not good against barriers and it's not known to be hugely effective out to 600-700 meters. I see the in-game 6.5mm round as Bohemia looking at that situation and going "Makes sense!" and doing it.

The BLUFOR Recon Marksman has been given a Mk.18 EBR in today's dev-branch patch. The British CTRG marksman ("James" IIRC) also has a Mk.18

Hm, I wonder why the Brits would suddenly be using (an updated version of) an old American rifle with roots going back to the Second World War... hm. The M14 would be over 70 years old. Heheheh, funny choice of weapon...

I remember several remarks to the effect of feedback that the AR-15/M16/M4 platform was found by troops to be perfectly fine and that their issue was with 5.56 mm, and that the Mk 17 being in 7.62 mm was what they liked more than anything else about it...

But yeah, it's interesting to see a professed designated marksman say that the MXM (in the same caliber as the other MX rifles) was pretty much exactly what I was imagining it was, more the SPR than a DMR, although it's interesting to see that the Arma 3 idea of infantry weapon asymmetry was "BLUFRO has a SPR but no other sniper rifle other than the CheyTac Intervention/M320 LRR".

But yeah, it's interesting to see a professed designated marksman say that the MXM (in the same caliber as the other MX rifles) was pretty much exactly what I was imagining it was, more the SPR than a DMR, although it's interesting to see that the Arma 3 idea of infantry weapon asymmetry was "BLUFRO has a SPR but no other sniper rifle other than the CheyTac Intervention/M320 LRR".

I don't think the weapon line-up is finished quite yet. The mk18's still alongside the MXM in the nato special weapons box for now. I do agree that the caliber ramp is very steep between the "ranged" rifles, and hope more will show up to fill the gaps so to speak. I'd like to see more smaller caliber bolt-action options (XM2010?)

I really like the MXM by the way and it's my favorite out of the MX line-up. It's definitely a benefit to be able to grab ammo from teammates and to put more accurate bullets down the line than the mk18 or the Rahim. I do like the extra punch of the mk18 if there's cover involved. I accidently toppled one of those short stone walls with it today when I tried shooting a a guy through it. It actually worked which was fun.

MXM is a SPR rifle - not "true" DMR , true DMR requires better long range ammo min 7.62x51 and long barrel to be accurate in those ranges

I do like to see bis version of the M2010 (which would be logical since they replacing older M24) and also MXM in 7.62x51 (as Mk17 or XCR-M)

Ok, first let me say that I haven't messed around with the in game...(I suppose I should call them "Accurized" because they're certainly not all precision.) rifles. Also I apologize for the long post, I'm trying to stop but it's hard when I find a topic I like to talk about. Haha

Since the BlueFor still seem to be the only side with a SPR. Does this mean that we can finally give the binky back to the "FU BIS! We want realism, not some crappy BALANCED COD tactical tooter!" crowd, so they'll stop crying? I certainly hope so.

Personally I'm a little thrown off by the selection they made...even though it really doesn't matter because I don't pay much attention to the Single player portion other than just playing the game... I think they could have made choices that seem to make better sense. For instance, I can't really see the CheyTac .408 as an anti material rifle...True it's got more energy at range than a .50bmg BUT that is when comapred to Ball rounds.

Now as I said in my wish list on page 213 of the NO DISSCUSSION thread - I'm sure BIS doesn't have the time to go back and add different calibers to the ballistics system but this is what I would have went with...

Standard Rifles: I don't really think the MXM is needed but since it's already in game, it should stay.

DMR:

Bluefor - Mk14

Opfore - VS 121 (Rahim)

Greefor or British - L129A

Sniper Rifle: .338 Lapua Mag (Yes I know there are better calibers) Another thing that I kind of don't like is that they all look very similar.

BlueFor - Remington MSR (Yes also known as the Modular M2010) *Fixed this, see below* The M2010 is a pound lighter and slightly less bulkier so that may be the better choice... You don't need a modular rifle in a game..

Opfor - ORSIS T-5000

GreenFor or British - Accuracy International AX338

Anti Material:

BlueFor - (Not sure, I like the way the CheyTac looks though.:p) or maybe M107A1? - Hornady AMAX .50? - Could say that CheyTac was contracted to build the Intervention in .50, I bet they'd do it to fix their debt problems.

OPFOR - Arash - 20mm (Haha :P )

GreenFor - Gepard GM6 Lynx - 12.7

Also, I included in my wishlist the suggestion that the Keltec RFB (SDAR in game) be changed back into a .308 and added as a battle rifle... Though now that I think about it.. another unique option would be to put it in with the 18inch barrel as the BlueFor DMR. http://olegvolk.net/gallery/technology/arms/keltec/RFB_24in_prone_8921wallpaper.jpg.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

In addition to that, a few people mentioned adding a few civilian rifles that could be used for certain scenarios. One rifle I mentioned was the Remington 700 in 300win. I suppose the sniper rifles mentioned above could be in that caliber so that all the rifles would share ammo and thus reduce the work load on the devs.. then again none of this should be added until bigger problems are fixed so I guess it doesn't matter.

Edited by Squirrel0311

btw Squirrel0311

the MSR isnt the M2010 , yes they are made by the same company but MSR is a multi caliber sniper rifle , while the m2010 is only .300 Magnum ;)