Sign in to follow this  
roni

Windows 8.1 or 7 for ArmA?

Anyone compared FPS with both windows ? Because i'm wondering what choose to my new ArmA PC :)

Anyone compared FPS with both windows ? Because i'm wondering what choose to my new ArmA PC :)

interesting question. But i bet win7 without aero-glass-schnickschnack (german word for crap) have similar performance as win8.

I would prefer Win8 than win7.

If I may ask, I have win 8.0 and does any one know if FPS will improve with update from win 8.0 to win 8.1?

I don't think it matters (I would be interested in an actual test)

The important thing to remember with both is to reduce the 'schnickschnack'(©JumpingHubert) crap to make it as lean as possible.

(A bit of a joke with windows-system-hog software)

ArmA 3 can and may run better on a certain SO than others.

So the question is relevant and interresting to clarify os the SO comparison.

The only real difference between OS is the memory allocator used by default. Unless Win8 has a breakthrough type that works amazingly with ARMA then it won't make much difference.

The crap that runs in the background makes more difference and the newer Windows run more and more shit in the background so I would guess that Win7 is probably better out of the box...

You still need to kill any unecessary background tasks and services.

While changing from SO Win7 to Win8.0, I noticed a significante improvement while loading and executing programs. this I have no doubt about it.

Thats why I vote for SO Win8. Although I'm not sure if changes will be noticed between Win8.0 and Win8.1. (that i would like to know and find out)

I used to play it with Win8 and after upgrading to Win8.1 I haven't seen any noticable change.

Just upgrade from Win8.0 to Win8.1 and I also haven't seen any noticable performance change/improvments. Only confirm the desktop colors are more bright then before.

Thanks for answers, picked 8.1 and I couldn't be happier :D Just this annoying apps , but i removed them all mwhaha, slap your face with your apps microshit! :D

im getting a good amount of lag with my 7970 and haswell i5k. any body here have any tips on how to get game to run a bit better ?

im getting a good amount of lag with my 7970 and haswell i5k. any body here have any tips on how to get game to run a bit better ?

you mean lag in case of input lag? or lag in sense of milliseconds delay of the internet? or do you mean stutter?

if it is related to you pc(inputlag/stutter) you may tune down everything to lowest possible and then turn every setting back to max, one by one, and see which causes the "lag" and which not.

i7 2700k+7970 just runs arma 3 kavala @ ultra with no lag at all, even 200% downsampling still not introduces lag or stutter, just the fps going down the drain.

Win 8.1 is more faster, dont think btw will faster arma. Maybe others future games with new directx

I'm finding windows 8.1 very quick and responsive. I haven't come across any issues with tools and Arma 3.

Win8 and 8.1 are also much more resistant against malware. Of course, they aren't any better in case of uneducated user, but they're remarkably safer than their predecessors in general. Combine it with this official, very smart, effective and maintenance free tool from Microsoft: EMET 4.1 and you'll have very good tolerance against malware, especially the types that are getting more common these days. (Btw, the tool is great addition with Win7 too.)

If you install the program, use recommended settings and use the "Import" button to bring to activate all the lists in the default folder to get remarkably better protection by OS. Despite of that, those don't still render the need of proper anti-virus (there are huge differences between AV providers!), firewall and especially user education any less important, but serves as a great base in terms of security.

Edited by Ezcoo

The crap that runs in the background makes more difference and the newer Windows run more and more shit in the background so I would guess that Win7 is probably better out of the box...

You still need to kill any unecessary background tasks and services.

I assumed this too, but after a clean restart and some A3 Benchmarks I have to conclude that, on my system, there is no difference whatsoever...

you mean lag in case of input lag? or lag in sense of milliseconds delay of the internet? or do you mean stutter?

if it is related to you pc(inputlag/stutter) you may tune down everything to lowest possible and then turn every setting back to max, one by one, and see which causes the "lag" and which not.

i7 2700k+7970 just runs arma 3 kavala @ ultra with no lag at all, even 200% downsampling still not introduces lag or stutter, just the fps going down the drain.

If its input lag, turn OFF VSYNC.

Also try lowering anything that uses shaders. I can't remember their names atm.

I think the only reason you see a slight performance boost after you install windows 8/8.1 is due to a fresh OS install. I honestly don't see the reason to pick windows 8/8.1 over windows 7 unless you have a touch device.