Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Does anyone ever actually read the "readme"?

I was just getting some new addons and it dawned on me that the first thing i do is delete the readme file that comes with it. And it occurs to me that this is most likely what people do. I dont think anyone ever reads the readme anymore, cause more often than not, they already know what to do. So, i'm curious. Who actually reads these things?

I do, always!

And if some mod-maker reads this:

Could you name your addon-readme files "XXXXreadme.txt" instead of

just "readme.txt", because if you would do that, it would be easy just to extract

the .PBO and the readme to the addon directory, and maybe read the readme

after the addon is installed?

Just my 2 cents..

I used too when OFP was a very new thing to me. But now i guess the only time i read them is when im installing a sound pack. Thats only the time i read it. Otherwise i just dont. Cause they all say the same thing.

Readme... whats a Readme? Sounds like asking for instructions, and Im dead set against that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Aug. 26 2002,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cause they all say the same thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats funny, cause most of them do. I make it a point to set my Readme's appart from the crowd by naming them different things, and not writing them as if i'm talking in mono-tone.

Hmm we should think of some good titles for the readmes.

How bout : "Youd better read this you moron!"

biggrin.gif

I wish they would make it sorta interesting. Not all monotone like aculaud said.

lol biggrin.gif

I named one: You dont have to read me, but you may want to

Or heres a another one "If you dont read this your computer will have the trojan virus!"

i always read the readme file. i might encounter some useful info for addon. but not too seriously.

the name 'README' has been around for LONG time. I remember reading README.txt in old dos, using type(?) command biggrin.gif

so it's a tradition smile.gif

It all depends on what kind of add on it is. I never delete them, but if it is just maybe a weapon mod or something, I just install to add ons, if it is something more complex, I will read the read me for full installation instructions.

I only read the readme when i have problems, i try everything first and if it all works well then that's fine for me... if it doesn't work, i read the readme.

those who don't bother to spend at least a minute reading the readme deserve the many hours of re-formating and re-installation hell that will eventually hit them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (moerty @ Aug. 27 2002,14:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">those who don't bother to spend at least a minute reading the readme deserve the many hours of re-formating and re-installation hell that will eventually hit them.<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed smile.gif

I never have </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">many hours of re-formating and re-installation hell that will eventually hit them<span id='postcolor'>

I only have small probs like errors once in a while, then i read the readme, but i won't read it if it works without reading it biggrin.gif

I don't read 'em cause they are all the same damn thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 27 2002,16:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't read 'em cause they are all the same damn thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Example:

Created by XXX

Copyright: You are not allowed to edit my blah without my permission bla bla bla

e-mail: XXX@hotmail.com

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (STS_SolidSnake @ Aug. 27 2002,16:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Aug. 27 2002,16wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't read 'em cause they are all the same damn thing.<span id='postcolor'>

Example:

Created by XXX

Copyright: You are not allowed to edit my blah without my permission bla bla bla

e-mail: XXX@hotmail.com<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly. Each person who made the addon/script/etc/etc should have their own way of writing the readme. It really doesnt take no more than 5 mins at least. Maybe not even 5 if you can type fast. Like i've said before, the readme's need catchy titles to make you read it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Aug. 27 2002,08:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about this: "My sisters phone number"<span id='postcolor'>

ROFL wow.gif

WOOOOOOW this is weird, this Forum says that CLoney's message (posted above mine) was posted on august 26, and he's quoting from a msg that was posted on august 27!!!!

What is this? Special powers? Just a bug? Or...... are those men with their white coats here again?

*X file tune*

Ah forgot it, it didn't work. Anyway, DarkLight, to me it says he posted the 27th, quoting a post also from 27th.

But never doubt - the truth is out there tounge.gif