sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod V 2.6 Release

I agree with sorophx, but mine are obvious personal points of view consequence/based on bad feeling from ArmA2 addons/mods artists that will no more work on this platform (and last but not least poor/slow internet performances in downloading with steam).

These "bad decisions" from Bis have the consequence of impoverish the developers world on this platform, if Bis had made a different solution, replacing GameSpy with another "friendly DRM", things would have been very different now, even with ArmA3.

I fear the golden period started from Ofp, moved to ArmA and then ArmA 2/ OA is going to another direction, but probably I'm getting old and this is the natural progress of things.

After two-three days of hard downloading I'm going to convert to steam too....

Will let you know how I will feel with it.

Well 4-5 years ago I would have totally agreed on the whole STEAM issue.

But now it is really an all-round great platform. I mean - every single PC gamer I personally know uses it and they are satisfied with it. I was also extremely anti-steam. Then I had to install it to run A3. Have been pro-steam ever since. I mean ocasional free game and steam sales...

AANYWAY - too much offtopic stuff. Soo...

And remember - If it runs, it's a VC. If it stands still, it's a well disciplined VC! :cool:

well so far my takistan and vietnam servers are neck and neck - 700mb each of rpt spam from the new patch lol

but at least we can eventually disable logging right?

(does anyone remember the new server config command?)

I can't speak for Sav, but it seems the discussion about converting to 1.63 is a dead topic... it must happen so deal with it or don't use the mod. That's about the size of things. AND YES TOO MUCH OFF TOPIC ;)

The 2.6 stuff is moving along. Hey I finally got back on the Interweb so those vehicle updates may happen after all LOL

And speaking of back on-topic, here's a peek at the updated jeep...

newjeep1.jpg

Shiny! It will have all the little things you should expect... removable top for those hot breezy days, action-able windshield, commander seat spotlight (finally), usable spare tire, and a few other little things. As I'm still busy moving into my new house I have some things that take priority but I'm pecking away at this when I find an extra 15 minutes here and there. Best thing about it is the windshield foggy effect is fixed! :D

pook misunderstood there, the mod does not require 1.63, BUT we are hoping to host 4 public servers running evolution at launch, and these will require it.

btw that -nologs worked perfectly cheers

To reiterate what pookie our team mate stated , we are getting off topic. Its not a witch hunt and beat up on bis day. We at the unsung have learned to roll with it on 4 different gaming engines to bring everyone a little nam into the armaverse .Look at it this way while some may feel its a bad choice to go to steam , the ground work was already set up with arma 3 it was a logical choice.

I'm sure now with steams exposure our mod at least will become more well known . Let me also state with that more players more people on the servers , something that has plagued our mod for years. It can be a pain to set up but our team is here to help anyone that has issues with the setup.

Also in reply to eggbeasts previous post the release date has been pushed back a bit due to the new patch.

Don't worry soon you will have a shiny new m16 in your hands and riding a water buffalo singing "yipppe yi yay"

Edited by SGT_SAVAGE

Will there be any drastic changes for mission makers, or can we just keep on truckin'?

shiny new m16

Soo, it will malfunction out of the box and we will be forced to use good ol' 1911's and battlefield pickups? :p

nah we have a cleaning kit and manual so you shouldn't get any jams soldier. just rag your shit... frequently.

Also have to keep it from dirty water, so rifles up and across we go! =)))

But seriously - will there be a "cleaning kit" item, if just for pure aesthetics?

DeltaHawk's US Military units have a ton of "immersive" stuff and it's kinda cool to see what was actually hauled by "legs" back in the day (albeit useless from gameplay standpoint).

I'm already pumped as fvk to make a machinima of sorts when this is unleashed upon general ArmA population! :D

We discussed random jams but that would be a bit difficult to implement w/o some fancy scripting solution, and we didn't want to pursue yet another script that could spam the game and contribute to lag issues. So no jams for now :)

FUTURE - we definitely have jams on the list. Trick will be that the jamming of the M16 was due to a very specific set of non-technical circumstances that essentially was a change in the gunpowder for budget concerns, leading to the excessive fouling issues AND the message that they were "maintenance free" which is total BS which led to lack of cleaning discipline, AND the damp jungle conditions exacerbated the fouling problems. The issue was quickly identified, so in reality the jams of the un-cleaned, over-fouled, always-jams-when-you-need-it problems only persisted for a few months at most. The reputation stuck, and the M16 has never lived that down.

So my point is that's a really small window of time to simulate for the additional scripting that is required to make it happen. Can be done, but would really only be "appropriate" for a specific era of missions. So no jams for now ;)

get raggin you bunch of layabouts!

I was just curious. I know how difficult it is to even make a simple model (let alone animate, script and bugfix the thing - I can only guess). And the amount of stuff already in is just mind blowing as is.

Very interesting your attitude! :) The most mods from other users is very bugs and/or defective. After all this development time this mod will be perfect. :) For good work time is needed. :D

it may not be perfect, but it will be LOVED

When ready ! :)

LOL

Yeah certainly not perfect but we are trying to get it polished in every way possible. Just too much work for too few people :)

After 2.6 is out, Will you work on 2.7 or Will you work on porting it to ArmA 3?

Well, ask again after 2.6 release :)

The big question is what will people find that we haven't already... if there's some crazy bug or config error that causes problems then I expect that the group will most certainly have to release a "patch" for 2.6. So most likely there will have to be a follow-up to 2.6. In other words, I can't imagine that we would leave 2.6 broken w/o any follow-up. But who knows... maybe the next A3 patch will fix all the things people have issues with, and perhaps we'll want to jump directly to A3! Wishing... wishing :)

I would ask why do we want to now "work" on anything? we've just worked for a year solidly on developing this, so screw work, let's PLAY the thing.