Sign in to follow this  
That guy

Tipping point mission

Is this mission beatable? because frankly I am pissed off. really pissed off. I have spent the last 2 HOURS trying to dodge that arty.

this is just terrible mission design. it breaks singleplayer 101: dont throw something at the player that they cant deal with through some sort of action.

it would be one thing if the strike was in a single location and you could run away from it. it would be another if the shells were not actually dangerous, and just shook your view or something, but making the strike follow the player with a random chance for instant death is just bad design. half the time I dont live past the second shell, the other half it breaks my legs then finishes off with a direct hit. ONE TIME I almost made it to the boats though simple and unadulterated luck, only to be sniped by some AI wile i was swimming. almost smashed my keyboard (BTW why dont the Fing boats return fire? they have GLs and miniguns for Christs sake)

and then you throw in a paratrooper squad as a last FU to the player. seriously

so please enlighten me as how to deal with this mission if its even possible

I got past this on my second try. Keep running, try to stick to the trees and never stop to apply first aid. Once you get to the thicker tree area you can relax a little.

As for the boat thing, the last paratrooper wave can get in your way if you don't return fire. Keep moving towards the boats, take cover on the trees and try to snipe a guy or two before moving again.

Once I got to the denser tree area I went a bit east, killed three paratroopers (one of them mid-air, yay), and then proceeded to move towards the boats returning fire once in a while. I was actually the last to get to the boats, but maybe sticking to your teammates can help. Try to move when they are returning fire and fire yourself while they move.

Yes, this part of the mission is not exactly in compliance with standard gaming rules, but if you act like you would in real life*, you can make it.

* Disclaimer: I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

EDIT: I have to say I loved this first episode. I hope the rest of the campaign is just as epic. I can't wait!

Yes... there's issues with the arty... when you're supposed to direct fire from one it misses everything by 10-30 meters. When your area is target of enemy arty, their randomness almost never fails!?

But yes.. stick with your ai buddies from a safe distance, you'll manage eventually :)

appreciate the response, but nothing you said will help. each time i have restarted the mission my team rarely survives taking the first objective, much less the reinforcements. i have even tried crawling but that usually ends with an 81mm right up the butt (i mean literally. i cant count the number of times i have been directly hit by one of the shells). engaging the paratroopers alone is an absolute no-go as that will result in instant death

and i am guessing that this is the last mission in this episode? if so ill just save my self the annoyance and leave it as it, and count it as a victory

i did it in regular difficulty, maybe ai's arty is just too accurate at higher difficulties...

yes it is the last mission

Ignore your teammates... just run for your life... don't continue with your current path after a round just fell (or when you hear its going to fall)... and I went straight to the boats... I find that part of the mission quite fun.

Miracle - when you reach the boats, your teammates teleport into them too ignoring the threat. Because "realism".

I've finished this mission on second try. I didn't have any issues with artillery, also I cleaned up enemies ahead. Just run from cover to cover and do not stand for more than couple seconds. Also, it's essential to have 2-3 squadmates.

The arty was never even close to hit me in this mission, I had some problems with the paratroopers but after a few tries I got them to(the second group I just ignored)

Me and two allies survived, most people died in the engagement against paratroopers.

Difficulty settings makes a lot of difference. Im playing on veteran.

As soon as Alpha and bravo rejoin they get completely wiped out at first contact with the entrenched enemies inside the base. I replayed the autosave i dont know how many times, i also tried to smoke the area to let my mates take better position and close quarters but to no avail. Even trying to draw fire never helped if i dont mind to my own survival i get killed in seconds. I managed to keep one of the two TL alive; we entered Agia, dont ask me why i took the PCML from a dead AT soldier on the way out the base. As soon as we crossedthe town and approached the hill, i got the Orca trying to land the troops, i got it with the PCML but it lande anyway. Reloaded it, got it again, landed again. Reloaded it for the third time, got it three times, never blew up, waste of PCML rockets. Reloaded for the las t time, got it once, let it land, threw a nade, killed everybody.

Now the second part of the escape. Since i remained alone, i dediced to make a run for the coastline and stay hidden. No way im going to face paratroops and whats not. So if you aim for the shore and run with your feet on the water (so close enough to the shoreline) and crouch when you get past the paratroops, you will be able to make it to the bay. As soon as you turn around the last cliffs and make a right, there will be plenty of enemies bombarding your boats, again without taking them out, and the boats dont respond to their fire. Swim to the boats, there you are.

Yeah i am playing on vet, but i have the enemy AI set to as low as they go in the settings, and i have their accuracy set to .3 in the cfg file (this little trick dont seem to work any more its seems), but they still absolutely smoke the hell out of friendlies (squad wipe almost every mission). even with that "terrible" accuracy i still regularly get oneshotted from 500m by snapshots from standing machinegunners after hitting them 3 times with a sniper rifle...

anyway, im playing vet, and the squad gets wiped either at the first objective, or when the CSAT guys first show up, leaving me the last man standing when the arty shows up. I am thinking that the scriped arty attack is set to attack/center on the squad leader, so if there is an AI still alive it will go after him letting the player free to run. but with no AI left the arty focus's in on the player ruining their days...

the whole time I have been using the shore but i have only reached it twice(!!) because of that damn arty, and my one near success was cut short a mere few meters from a boat because the game thought "F that guy".

is there an ending cut scene? is it worth it to see?

I had a bunch of Scripting errors at the end. Probably the artillery script going nuts.

Edited by ProfTournesol

I took the coast. I'm not sure if it's scripted like the trees, but the rocks on the coast seemed to provide cover too. (I noticed this when it was on dev branch, before the new scripted fire sequence plays.)

I got smoked by arty a couple of times as well if I stopped for more than a second (trying to patch up a wounded teammate, for example), so next time I stayed on top of the hill at the mast while the team trudded on (I think). Shells landed around me and on me all the time, so I guess I saved my team then (why the enemy would aim for me instead of the squad I don't know). Running without stopping seems to be the only way, after crossing the second ridgeline the artillery subsides and you can focus on the paras instead.

So, yeah, the scripting for this part is not well done. Somebody in the dev team apparently thought that this should play like a shooter on rails (i.e. the world's events revolves around the player) instead of a simulation.

With the exception of this chapter I enjoyed "Survive" and thought it well made.

appreciate the response, but nothing you said will help. each time i have restarted the mission my team rarely survives taking the first objective, much less the reinforcements. i have even tried crawling but that usually ends with an 81mm right up the butt (i mean literally. i cant count the number of times i have been directly hit by one of the shells). engaging the paratroopers alone is an absolute no-go as that will result in instant death

and i am guessing that this is the last mission in this episode? if so ill just save my self the annoyance and leave it as it, and count it as a victory

That's odd.

We only took one casualty taking the installation and most of my team remained alive until the final run through the arty. I think the point of that mission is for most of your team to die at that point. But yes, the random mortar dodging does suck. The lone con in the entire campaign episode to me.

It probably depends on difficulty level. I'm on regular and didn't have major trouble, apart from script error messages, with artillery. Several members of the team survived the shelling.

As others have mentioned, I think difficulty settings matter here. I'm on regular and I think it's actually more realistic because your team tends to survive most conflicts instead of just getting wiped out by super enemy AI (who are still quite deadly if you aren't in cover).

On regular I never once felt I was comprimising realism and it all felt right. Maybe just go back to regular.

From the start to the end of "Survive" campaign - difficulty set to Regular. The only one reason is godlike AI as you all mentioned. It's not worth of my patience, nerves and time to play on higher difficulty. Even playing on Regular, I remember times being one shot by enemy 200 - 300m away - from time to time.

Have to say that idea of first campaign is very good even with few *facepalm* features.

Like being unable to enter any vehicle in last mission? (Firing range) huh? Or that amazing artillery shells and lastly the guy behind the minigun on the boat ;)

oh man i laughed at this!!

i had trouble too don't get me wrong haha but aint that where the fun is!?!?!?!?

dont stick with your team... fuck them and run!

yeah... played it for the second time today, still in regular, and wasn't as lucky, i must have reverted about 10+, had to ignore my team, could not loose any time shooting the paras either, always got my self served, splash damage appeared very wide too.

As others have mentioned, I think difficulty settings matter here. I'm on regular and I think it's actually more realistic because your team tends to survive most conflicts instead of just getting wiped out by super enemy AI (who are still quite deadly if you aren't in cover).

On regular I never once felt I was comprimising realism and it all felt right. Maybe just go back to regular.

yeah, 10 people come in running frontally like psyched up berzerks with no cover whatsoever against superior entrenched forces inside a military base, and they kill everybody and survive. Thats what i call hardcore realism.

Frankly, I made it past the arty first try (though it did wreck everyone in my squad except one guy), with a short period of healing before running off again. If you bob and weave as if they have a visual, and make it to the trees on the other side of the hill where the paratroopers land, you should be safe.

The CSAT helos aren't hostiles (although the soldiers inside definitely are!!!) They won't attack you.

Avoiding the arty can be helped by unpredicatable movement of your character, Cpl.Kerry. What I mean is,sprint alongside with your squad, then stop moving for a few seconds, then start moving again. The computer tracks where your character Kerry is, and an arty round hits near that position. In other words, the arty will chase you, not your squad mates.

After many tries, I finally managed to pass Tipping Point.

Edited by Nicholas