Sign in to follow this  
That guy

Tipping point mission

I have also found this mission impossible, with 20+ reverts...

I think I have an even rougher deal in that my auto-save that I revert to has all my squad progressing in slow-walking-alert mode - so if I am anywhere near them, they just all get killed by the 'random' arty...

The closest I have got to completing this mission sees me running around the hills like some kind of Benny Hill sketch...

While it took some reverts to autosaves to get through the military base in the first half of the mission (playing on Veteran, no mods), I retreated from the town to the boat in like 3 minutes, first try, game over. It was fun, but very quick. I am surprised by all the fuss about the retreat.

While it took some reverts to autosaves to get through the military base in the first half of the mission (playing on Veteran, no mods), I retreated from the town to the boat in like 3 minutes, first try, game over. It was fun, but very quick. I am surprised by all the fuss about the retreat.

Well, if you run, you get hit by a mortar shell. If you stand still, you get hit by a mortar shell. If you crawl, you get hit by a mortar shell. If you stay near your AI buddies, you can watch them get hit by a mortar shell before being hit by a mortar shell.

Honestly, I tried everything from slow to sprint, I always get hit in the face by the second or third mortar shell that comes down. Always. I had to use so many retries to get through the mission, it wasn't funny anymore.

And certainly not fun.

The problem is, no matter what you do, the outcome of the mission is totally random. It's about pure luck not being hit by a mortar, and quite frankly, that's bad design. The rest of the campaign up to this scene was ok, and I actually liked the attack on the military base in the beginning, but the sheer random dying from mortar shells no matter what you did was ridiculous, infuriating and frustrating. I would have stopped playing there if I wouldn't have wanted to see the second episode.

The artillery seems to some as the enemies in valley of death were to me. I in the end succeeded on the fourth or fifth try in tipping point, with only one or two casualties when taking the base (I flanked on the left side, up the dirt track, and then camped at the entrance of the base by the concrete wall.)

The artillery was much more difficult, three of my attempts failed with the arty instead of failing elsewhere. In the end I just legged it, went up the far hill (where the paratroopers come down) and stayed there while I waited for the team. Next ridge over, the mission ends anyways, afaik.

I have to note that I played completely without mods. No AI mods, no weapon mods, nothing. Maybe that is affecting the performance of the enemy arty, mods?

Tipping Point. Worst mission in ArmA/OFP history.

That's all I can say...

Tipping Point. Worst mission in ArmA/OFP history.

That's all I can say...

Ah, even worst than ArmA1? How about that level in Arma1 you have to fight against T-72s with some Stryker ATGM in the open?

Ah, even worst than ArmA1?

Yes. In that mission you have means to fight back. Here you just have to... Surviveâ„¢ magical mortar rounds that spawn out of thin air.

During my retreat to the sea, when the arty started, I ran like hell, forgot about rest of squad, and hugged the coast at some points. I could see all these paratroops up the hill, and wanted to high-tail it big time. It was over so quickly, especially compared to first part of mission, and to the desperation of Death Valley, that I can't really remember if I was ever hit by the arty. I don't think I was... It did end Survive with a BANG! Well, on to Adapt....

From the many confused and angry posts in the the A2 forums since 2009, playing official missions with mods, especially those that affect AI, physics, and explosions, was a massive mistake, and I would think that to be the case in A3. As the devs and QA/QC don't test the missions using mods, anyone using mods to play them is walking into uncharted territory, a territory where one should expect the unexpected, and be prepared for a few bad, frustrating times.

I will attempt to play Adapt using VTS Weapon Rest, however. My fingers are crossed that the mod (and CBA) won't screw anything up.

From the many confused and angry posts in the the A2 forums since 2009, playing official missions with mods, especially those that affect AI, physics, and explosions, was a massive mistake, and I would think that to be the case in A3. As the devs and QA/QC don't test the missions using mods, anyone using mods to play them is walking into uncharted territory, a territory where one should expect the unexpected, and be prepared for a few bad, frustrating times.

No mods used except JSRS.

It's sad that the mission is so screwy towards the player since it's about the only time I felt cheated in the first campaign episode. All the others were doable without the big luck factor.

I wonder, if the mission is scripted in such a way that the arty hits where you have been before (so that if you stay, you are hit, and if you move, you are not), then why not make the delay between determining the shell's impact position and the actual impact a bit longer ? The intention of the mission should be to make the retreat more exiting and intense, not to actively try to kill the player. It's a set piece, and those are best if they do not try to murder you (to paraphrase Zero Punctuation).

While the arty segment of the mission has been troublesome for some (not including me), I think that the issue with task 1 of Radio Silence and mortar accuracy changes is more deserving of a fix. But on the whole, I would rather BIS release an ACR patch and A2OA 1.63.

Edited by OMAC

People have trouble with this mission? I just hug the beach and keep running.

Same here, I don't find it particular hard unless you are trying to save whole squad. paratroopers gave me more problem than mortars.

Same here, I don't find it particular hard unless you are trying to save whole squad. paratroopers gave me more problem than mortars.

I'm surprised with this thread. All I had to do, really, was run through the beach and swim a little to get to the boats without ever encountering the paratroopers...

Everyone else died, of course, but I thought it was quite an anti-climatic ending in terms of difficulty.

Yeah I didn't have much trouble with it either, think I got killed by a mortar once.

I'd scrap the whole the mortar section anyway though. It's an artifical way of creating tension, and unforunately it's one of many sections in Survive that you're forced to run through, often following suicidal AI along poorly-placed waypoints, in a game that is not designed or appropriate for that kind of frantic gameplay. I think this mission would be better if you actually had to move into the town and clear out the AAF, then CSAT appears and you have to retreat from their superior numbers and air support rather than an unlikely mortar barrage.

Is this mission beatable? because frankly I am pissed off. really pissed off. I have spent the last 2 HOURS trying to dodge that arty.

this is just terrible mission design. it breaks singleplayer 101: dont throw something at the player that they cant deal with through some sort of action.

it would be one thing if the strike was in a single location and you could run away from it. it would be another if the shells were not actually dangerous, and just shook your view or something, but making the strike follow the player with a random chance for instant death is just bad design. half the time I dont live past the second shell, the other half it breaks my legs then finishes off with a direct hit. ONE TIME I almost made it to the boats though simple and unadulterated luck, only to be sniped by some AI wile i was swimming. almost smashed my keyboard (BTW why dont the Fing boats return fire? they have GLs and miniguns for Christs sake)

and then you throw in a paratrooper squad as a last FU to the player. seriously

so please enlighten me as how to deal with this mission if its even possible

I am having the same exact problem. I have watched walkthrough videos, followed those actions exactly, and yet I cannot make it to the retreat area. If you missed the title, I am actually on my 46th attempt on my second day trying to get past this part. I actually did not start counting the number of attempts until I watched a walkthrough video and tried to mimic it. Before that I had tried a bunch of times on my own.

Im pissed!

*I've followed the marker and on many attempts my character was killed before the AI with me said "Keep moving, it will be harder to get a bead on you". That means on the first or second strike

*I've run ahead of the marker. Failed miserably

*I've hung back slightly to no avail

*I've run way the hell out to the right, was able to flank enemy AI, and even after killing two, I was killed by bullets being fired from AI soldiers who were not even facing me!!

*I've reverted back to an earlier point (which had me restart the mission) and at the military base (right after we clear it and right before this scene with the mortars and the paratroopers) I even grabbed an enemy DMR with the 7.62 ammo hoping that since its a larger cartridge than my 556, the enemy (paratroopers that land on the hill) will go down with 1 or 2 shots. Nada. They take the same 3-4 shots to kill. And I cannot just injure them. I did try it just so the gunfire would cease and I could easily finish them off. Doesnt work

*On the times that I have made it past the first few mortars (when I have to engage the paratroopers) I've tried following orders and attacking the targets when the officer identifies them. I've tried attacking them before he identifies them, and I have tried attacking them from the outside to the ones closest to us. Not one strategy works.

*I've lowered the difficulty level to "Recruit" and still cannot get by this section.

I can go on and on with the variations that I have tried but the bottom line here is that Ive watched "Walkthrough/Tutorial" videos (which I hate to do) and those players that breezed right through it are very lucky. I cant do that. It wont let me.

This actually had me thinking that either the AI on my game was different than everyone else and broken. Bottom line is that something is different from the walkthrough videos I have seen...very different. A friend of mine started giving me a hard time and tried to make me feel better about it; gave me some encouragement. But once I told him the number of attempts I had at this one point he thought something was wrong too. So I had him come over to show me how he did it. At home, he played the level on his own computer and breezed through it. When he showed up here he said that he had given himself a refresher on the chapter and would show me how I could get past it. I fired it up and let him take control to show me. An hour or so later he gave up. He thinks there is something wrong with my copy as well. He said [sic] "Its so damn unlikely that you could get something different. Maybe one of the updates messed with it."

It doesnt work on my copy. Something is wrong

And Im pissed. Its one of the only games I paid full price for and I trusted BI would finish the final chapter. And they did. Now I just want to play the campaign

But the OP is right. There shouldnt be something in the game that you can not either defend against OR strategize against. Even if the strategy is just running.

So, could an update, a mod, or user created missions that I subscribed to on Steam cause discrepancies??

Yeah I didn't have much trouble with it either, think I got killed by a mortar once.

I'd scrap the whole the mortar section anyway though. It's an artifical way of creating tension, and unforunately it's one of many sections in Survive that you're forced to run through

Mortar fire isn't bad idea, it's idea of it following player that's bad.

There should be condition to start shelling, which would be engaging BlueFor squad by CSAT paratroopers ("stealth" + "don't fire" to attempt to sneak past them first)

And there should be 2 conditions for mortar to stop adjusting fire: killed enemy Squad Leader, so he won't relay new coordinates, or getting closer to CSAT paratroopers than given distance (say 150m).