Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

:redface: Don't know how I missed that - cool. I thought I read everything.

Keep up the good work.

First off any servers dedicated to this that are open or looking to start a community???? WIll there be able to make a client side release. Where people can make awesome bad ass client side operations with this?

First off any servers dedicated to this that are open or looking to start a community???? WIll there be able to make a client side release. Where people can make awesome bad ass client side operations with this?

Assaultgroup.com are inactive right now, but thats because all we want is MSO (ALIVE) lol. Its all we played in A2/OA for over 2 years, with insurgency and Domi on the side.

Our community will be dedicated to this new version and I'm really looking forward to it!!

I checked the data yesterday, and since the start of development some time back over 1000 Snakes and Rabbits have been KIA, lest we forget!

Assaultgroup.com are inactive right now, but thats because all we want is MSO (ALIVE) lol. Its all we played in A2/OA for over 2 years, with insurgency and Domi on the side.

Our community will be dedicated to this new version and I'm really looking forward to it!!

Awesome! We hope to have RC1 released soon as some bits are ironed out! Keep an eye on here and facebook for updates!

Awesome! We hope to have RC1 released soon as some bits are ironed out! Keep an eye on here and facebook for updates!

Hummm sounds like an RC1 release ... : let's program some notifications ... :) As I don't want to miss that one !!!

Will alive work kinda like mso, where you just set up a Base (add the modules) and MSO/Alive populates everything not having to place markers where you wanna enemies to spawn, so you can just drive around with no objectives just for a patrol not knowing where enemies will be? Super random?Or you have to set up everything?

And about unit mods, like all the massi units and etc..?Will it be supported?

Bigs thanks for the mod in advanced!

Will alive work kinda like mso, where you just set up a Base (add the modules) and MSO/Alive populates everything not having to place markers where you wanna enemies to spawn, so you can just drive around with no objectives just for a patrol not knowing where enemies will be? Super random?Or you have to set up everything?

And about unit mods, like all the massi units and etc..?Will it be supported?

Bigs thanks for the mod in advanced!

There are 4 videos the guys have set up to show how it works, recommend watching it. It's a bit more complex than just setting up a base, but just a little bit ;-)

What i wanna to know was if you could just add the modules and set up a base and everything would just happened!

But i got my answer on ALIVE facebook: "ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment Note: Photos taken WITHOUT manual placement of both group spawning markers and individual units. It's purely automatic spawning. Impressive, huh?" This makes the mission extremely random what is the best thing for arma 3! I am tired of making missions on the editor where when i play it i know pretty much everything that is going to happen. That's why mso is the best! Because you have know clue of what's is going to happen.

So "It's a bit more complex than just setting up a base" if you want it to be! otherwise i think is just setting up a base and adding the modules and you are good to go!

So "It's a bit more complex than just setting up a base" if you want it to be! otherwise i think is just setting up a base and adding the modules and you are good to go!

What I mean is that in addition to placing the module you'll need to setup a marker where enemy units will spawn and put its name into the module ;) That's all. (at least, according to the video. maybe it's not mandatory)

Is 30th of November the full release date or RC1? Can't wait to try.

Edited by DarkWanderer

The markers are not mandatory. At its simplest you can place a module and it will populate the whole map, but with various combinations of zones, blacklist areas, objectives, military placement and Op Commanders you can create a wide range of scenarios very quickly and easily.

Where did you see mention of a release date?

Where did you see mention of a release date?

Hmm. I was under strong impression I saw it somewhere (30th or 31st of Nov). But now I can't find it anywhere. :j:

Apologies. Must have confused it with something else.

Edited by DarkWanderer

Hmm. I was under strong impression I saw it somewhere (30th or 31st of Nov). But now I can't find it anywhere. :j:

Apologies. Must have confused it with something else.

Yeah you're confusing with another team's dynamic mission ... wish release its mission the 30th ...

I guess you've all been wondering what we've been up to this last week.

Well, we're still polishing up the release candidate. But for a real teaser - here's how the ALiVE War Room web integration is shaping up

Thats a massive improvement to the A2 version of the online interactive map (unless this is ingame) STILL amazing!

You guys have any sort of recommended server specs for this yet? Even just an idea of what you guys are running would allow me start planning a bit.

Say, at most 40 players.

Really shouldn't be a factor, since ALiVE is a mission framework you can tailor it to your server specs. However for reference, VCB has been testing on a 3.4Ghz Intel Xeon w/ 32Gb RAM. We've had full Altis maps with 4k+ 'theoretical AI' (profiled+visual AI) and up to 20 players. Server FPS can drop as low as 35 until the garbage collector kicks in and it goes back up to max. If you limit it to something less insane it's generally fine though, and takes rather less than Dr Who time to initialise (our biggest stress test took a full 15 mins to start, though it was epic when it got going!)

Hmm. Was looking more at the Virtual Server route. Probably wouldn't be able to even dream of going for 4k+ but what sort of RAM demand are you guys looking at. Is it the processor that's doing all the work or is the RAM crucial?

This would be our first server and we're tying to get bang for our buck.

Was looking at these.

http://www.nfoservers.com/order-virtual-dedicated-server.php

Start-up time isn't that big a deal for me since our admin could just boot it up before we start filing in.

Really shouldn't be a factor, since ALiVE is a mission framework you can tailor it to your server specs. However for reference, VCB has been testing on a 3.4Ghz Intel Xeon w/ 32Gb RAM. We've had full Altis maps with 4k+ 'theoretical AI' (profiled+visual AI) and up to 20 players. Server FPS can drop as low as 35 until the garbage collector kicks in and it goes back up to max. If you limit it to something less insane it's generally fine though, and takes rather less than Dr Who time to initialise (our biggest stress test took a full 15 mins to start, though it was epic when it got going!)

That's amazing results. We're currently using Invade & Annex and average around 20 players also (w/ ~80 AI) - server FPS varies between 15 and 35. We have almost identical server specs (i7-4770 3.4Ghz w/ 32Gb RAM) - it'd be interesting to see if we get the same FPS as your server.

If you consider 35 FPS as "low" then I really cannot wait for this game-mode!

Just out of interest (and slightly off-topic) what sort of server FPS did you get for previous game modes (e.g. Invade & Annex, War Storm, Occupation etc)? Just curious as to how ALiVE performs relative to other game modes on the same server.

Edited by GDSN

Don't forget it rather depends on what you have spawned (what we call 'Visual' AI). As mentioned earlier in this thread, profiled AI is all well and good but there's still a finite limit to the Visual AI that the engine can handle comfortably. So 30 players spread across the map, each with 50 AI in visual range is going to cause issues no matter what your server specs are. On the plus side profiles are pretty seamless though, so you can recover things quite quickly if you close up.

As with any mission framework like this, ALiVE will only do so much - the rest is up to good machine design and careful spawn management. You still have to tailor your missions to your hardware and player base but ALiVE makes that a whole lot easier to do.

I know this is kind of assholeish, but is it possible to have an estimated time window for when we can expect to see some kind of release (even a beta)?

It'll be out just as soon as it's ready, which will be soon!

Sorry, no dates. Dates set an expectation that the community invariably gets into a dreadful tiz if we miss and for a volunteer dev group with families and jobs, there's absolutely no way we can guarantee anything close to a formal schedule.

Hi everyone, I've just added another 5 videos to the simple mission tutorial series. This covers all the current ALiVE modules as they stand now.

you can view them all here: