Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

really nice ! so if i understand right you work with the AEG guy for a power grid mod ?

Yes, I've spoken with LoyalGuard previously about this. He is using a similar system we use to discover Electrical Grid objects, so I'm really hoping we can collaborate further to integrate the two mods even deeper.

Twitch stream is ongoing with all the Devs playing incompetently on our live play test! We're answering questions about ALIVE dev in between enemy counter attacks.

Hi guys, cant wait for this! Its severely needed. Have you guys talked about random objectives (main objectives, special ops objectives)? Will they be present upon initial release or at all? I loved that about MSO. Also, will you guys be taking advantage of the BI random patrol module? It would be awesome to have a randomized patrol for a squad issues as a 'Patrol Objective'.

Looks fantastic, with the use of categories for unit weighting does that mean that module choosing the actual unit will pick from all those available to the server and will pick up units included from mod packs? Or is there a config table that would need to be edited to include non BI units?

Cheers,

Stonehouse

Looks fantastic, with the use of categories for unit weighting does that mean that module choosing the actual unit will pick from all those available to the server and will pick up units included from mod packs? Or is there a config table that would need to be edited to include non BI units?

The group selection is done by faction, and by reading the games CfgGroups config. As long as the mod has a distinct faction, and that faction has groups defined in the CfgGroups classes it should pick them up fine.

Thanks ARJay that sounds really good from a lot of points of view as it would mean once things like I44 are ported across to A3 they should be able to be used by Alive with little or theoretically no extra work to make them compatible.

I see there was also a comment about any map was ok to be used but I remember that for mso if the map was a mod sometimes you had to define a table of points for mso to "see" - is this still possibly something we'll need to do for some maps if they haven't been built quite right?

First of all i must say the plans look very promising and sound great, I never played MSO but im curious about three things. Will virtual units that 'win' a battle sustain damage? If so will this damage be 'recovered' using logistisch (expect for KIA's of course). And are there any plans for some sort of 'off map/inbound' logistisch for resupplying armies with fresh recruits and supplies (making the capture of key strategic points like harbors and airports even more important)?

Thanks ARJay that sounds really good from a lot of points of view as it would mean once things like I44 are ported across to A3 they should be able to be used by Alive with little or theoretically no extra work to make them compatible.

I see there was also a comment about any map was ok to be used but I remember that for mso if the map was a mod sometimes you had to define a table of points for mso to "see" - is this still possibly something we'll need to do for some maps if they haven't been built quite right?

From early on in MSO, we decided to use CfgGroups for that exact reason. I have collaborated with many add-on devs to Implement these for all to enjoy.

As for maps, let's call that continuous improvement. From the announcement of Altis, it became clear the old system was not going to work. After a discussion with Mikero, a system to efficiently "read" maps was born.

First of all i must say the plans look very promising and sound great, I never played MSO but im curious about three things. Will virtual units that 'win' a battle sustain damage? If so will this damage be 'recovered' using logistisch (expect for KIA's of course). And are there any plans for some sort of 'off map/inbound' logistisch for resupplying armies with fresh recruits and supplies (making the capture of key strategic points like harbors and airports even more important)?

Yes to all of the above - to an extent. Profiled groups will receive a percentage of attrition and can will be replenished through the logistics module. However, it's not modeled to the extent where individual units (e.g. a tank) will get damaged and then repaired later, but a troop of tanks may lose 50% of their number and call for a replen.

Logistics Module is still early stages of dev, but we plan to implement the full supply chain from strategic lift (by air, sea or land as appropriate), rear echelons, forward movement and battle replens. This will not only provide a lot of the 'ambient filler' behind the front lines, but also ample scope for interdicting and disrupting the supply chain (both friendly and enemy). Though the scope, requirements and design have been laid out, it's not the highest priority at the moment so I can't say when it'll get implemented.

Is it possible to make a NATO OPCOM with no NATO AI units command the player groups? I was looking at a way to get some side mission type stuff, I think letting the OPCOM just command players would be great.

Edited by PenguinInATuxedo

Is it possible to make a NATO OPCOM with no NATO AI units command the player groups? I was looking at a way to get some side mission type stuff, I think letting the OPCOM just command players would be great.

Technically there is no reason why that couldnt work. Highhead is working on OPCOM player tasks, but realistically you would form part of the entire faction, which is what OPCOM is about - Operational Command.

I was testing more ways to have all of Altis occupied so i split Altis into 5 sections with large markers none overlapping, I used two placement modules in each marker zone a Military and Civilian military.

Strange happenings were soon to follow on some occasions the civilian objectives would appear instantly upon start other times they would not, I let it run for a while but nothing would happen no more objectives would appear or entities be placed, Once I scaled back to two placement modules it would run fine again though. I tried a sleep command in the init of some of the placement modules with no affect.

A way to stage the boot of placement modules would be good so I can make the placement module closer to player spawn init first.

UPDATE--- With further testing i found it goes by the force size of the total placement modules, now using 4 modules I have 3 on 1200 which after game start it starts placing objectives rather quick I tried the 4th on 800 but it didn't want to work or took way too long.

I started from the lowest force size and scaled up until the time from mission start to first objective placement was rather long i got to 400, it would be good if it didn't activate the second two placement modules at once so it is doing 2400 in force size at start which it handles easily.

Edited by PenguinInATuxedo

I don't think you are using them correctly. I asked AEF to provide me with a representative on Skype as this us not the place to discuss usability, considering its closed testing and you dont have the manual.

After following the project for some time, watching the videos with open mouth and hearing amazing things from closed beta testers (a shame I'm not one ;)), I do have a couple of questions about ALiVE:

- I noticed the main focus was on multiplayer, due the persistance database and the great online tool for statistics. However is it also possible to create small COOP missions or even singleplayer missions with ALiVE?

- Currently there are some great modules available, as far as I could see and hear, and I'm sure more will follow; is there already a list of confirmed list of modules we'll be able to use when it's released and even after?

- How are these modules set up, and is it possible to create our own "addons"? Since I have some ideas which might be usefull for mission builders ;)

- Will there be extensive documentation or even an API available for programmers both for game coding and online coding, like a PHP Developer myself?

- I'm sure you'll say "When it's ready" ;) But can you give an indication of when we can expect an open beta or more?

Last question; at the ALiVE website, some guys are beast when it comes to the amount of hours playing... Do you guys ever work? :P

- I noticed the main focus was on multiplayer, due the persistance database and the great online tool for statistics. However is it also possible to create small COOP missions or even singleplayer missions with ALiVE?

Yes, SP missions will not be a problem. I believe most if not all modules are already working within the Editor, which means they work fine in SP.

- Currently there are some great modules available, as far as I could see and hear, and I'm sure more will follow; is there already a list of confirmed list of modules we'll be able to use when it's released and even after?

The current list of modules are:

Admin Actions - includes things like teleport, debug, etc

AI Skill

Crew Info

Dynamic Weather

Garbage Collector

Player Persistence - for reconnects and server restarts

Revive

View Settings

Profile Systems - a virtual layer for AI to minimise server impact

Combat Support AI CAS

Combat Suport AI Transport

CQB

Military/Civilian Target Identification

OPCOM (Operational Command)

Military Intelligence (works with OPCOM)

Military Logistics (enemy resupply)

Military Placement (positions the occupying enemy prior to the mission starting)

Military/Player Sector Display

- How are these modules set up, and is it possible to create our own "addons"? Since I have some ideas which might be usefull for mission builders

They are placed in the mission editor and synchronised where required.

Yes you can create your own addons dependent on ALIVE. Bearing in mind, we choose a license that requires any changes to ALIVE itself to come back to the project for all to enjoy.

- Will there be extensive documentation or even an API available for programmers both for game coding and online coding, like a PHP Developer myself?

We have API documentation for SQF. I'm sure we can have the web API documented in a similar fashion.

- I'm sure you'll say "When it's ready" But can you give an indication of when we can expect an open beta or more?

Hard to say - we need that bug fixed from BIS (http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12433) for player persistence and we're trying to provide simple OPCOM oriented player tasks. Then is a general tidy up of any quick fix bugs from closed testing.

Last question; at the ALiVE website, some guys are beast when it comes to the amount of hours playing... Do you guys ever work? :P

Bear in mind we have been working on ALIVE for about a year now. All dev team members do their best to work on the project when real life permits them. Almost all of us work, some of us have families, others are studying, so we all have to juggle our time to make the magic happen.

Edited by Wolffy.au

Hi comrades!

We are going to have another game session streamed with testers and devs starting tomorrow 16.11. 0300 Chicago / 0900 London / 2000 OZ: Tune in on our stream!

We will show off some stuff done lately!

See ya

Edited by highhead
im dumb

ALiVE team - looking good, loved MSO for A2/OA,

I see in the list of modules there is military logistics - does this come work the same way the simulated battles are calculated, or are they actual trucks on the ground that drop off supplies to enemy troops.

I was thinking of possibly ambushing the supplies and/or destroying supply lines - this in turn would slow the enemy attack as they have to wait for more supplies.

Hey dudes!

Due to sleeping giants and young kids taking over the keyboards of their dads we have to delay the event a bit!

We will ping you in here (hopefully in some hours) once we managed to have all nerds to be focussed :)

See ya

@KevsnoTrev - see answer on previous page :)

Stream should be active now incidentally.

:redface: Don't know how I missed that - cool. I thought I read everything.

Keep up the good work.