Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Head Range Plus: Improved TrackIR Movement

I've started work on a new addon for Arma 3 that should help improve situation awareness while flying. This addon will increase the limits in head movement that are possible in first person view. If you are using TrackIR, you will see the largest benefit. Here's a short video describing the changes.

This work is based on code originally written by kju for Take On Helicopters. I asked for and received his permission to work on this and add to it. I'm hoping to add values to several other aircraft and, if possible, add different values for different seating positions.

On a side note, I'm not convinced that the name for this addon is very good. Right now I'm calling it "Head Range Plus: Improved TrackIR Movement" but I'm thinking of changing it. Ideas are welcome.

The use of TrackIR in ArmA 3 is very bad. The best use I've ever had was in Flight Simulator. The ArmA 3 was supposed to be equal to Flight Simulator. ;) I'm looking forward to testing this amazing MOD. Thank you!

At least we have rotational view inside vehicles now... :p

Mod looks great, would love to try it out. I do feel the sideways movement inside helos (especially the xH-9 ones) is really restrictive.

Edited by MavericK96

I'll be releasing this soon and just adding more aircraft later on so that something will be released even if I get busy with work again.

The uniform was cobbled together from a few different unit addons using Dslyecxi's uniform and weapon chooser. Most likely it is from different units created by Massi such as the Navy SEAL and DEVGRU units, the USMC units, etc. The weapons are from RobertHammer's M4/M16 addon and BIS.

Damn, i came back to download it and I found that there is no download. :(

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk

Good news. It was pretty easy to add this same functionality to other vanilla helicopters. So I'm just going to finish up the last few of them. I was thinking that BI might have intended to add this to all aircraft and maybe they just ran out of time with their release schedule or something. I've also removed the "force optics" view that the UH-80 gunners were stuck in. Not sure if this will cause AI problems or something as it seems strange that this was a locked view (contrary to previous Arma games).

I was also able to free up a lot of the rotational views in first person. I've always liked in FSX and other flight sims when you weren't as restricted in how far you could turn your head. This is critical in air combat when you need to look at extreme angles due to the fact that the aircraft is rolled on one side or pitched up or down or some other combination. The views for the pilot and especially the gunner in the AH-99 were so restrictive. I've freed them up so you can look behind you, straight up and down into your lap. Maybe it is farther than a human head could move, but it replicates a shoulder + head + eye move. I am also attempting to match the same sort of range of motion for each aircraft so that when going from one to the other, the view seems natural (but still restricted by windows).

...More soon.

Looks promising!

Does anybody know from which mod those helmets are from?

Looks cool, but I think that the pilot (judging from the video) is able to stick his head (and practically whole body) out of the cockpit a tad too much.

Looks cool, but I think that the pilot (judging from the video) is able to stick his head (and practically whole body) out of the cockpit a tad too much.

I'm still tweaking the values, but I've intentionally left the limits a little farther than necessary so that I don't crash into the invisible barrier. You don't have to lean as far if you don't want to. :)

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

Looks promising!

Does anybody know from which mod those helmets are from?

I'm dying to test this MOD. Where can I download the uniform of the infantry? Thanks!

Here's the code to duplicate the uniform. Simply add it to the init line of your unit:

this addHeadgear 'H_mas_mar_Balaclava_ht_b'; // THIS IS THE HELMET
this addVest 'V_PlateCarrier1_blk';
this addUniform 'U_xay_B_CombatUniform_pcu';
this addBackPack 'B_FieldPack_blk';
{this addMagazine "30rnd_556x45_STANAG"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9];
this addWeapon 'RH_M4sbr';
this addPrimaryWeaponItem 'RH_eotech553';
this addPrimaryWeaponItem 'RH_SFM952V';
{this addMagazine "11rnd_45ACP_Mag"} forEach [1,2,3,4,5];
this addWeapon 'hgun_Pistol_heavy_01_snds_F';
this addGoggles 'G_Combat';
this unassignItem "NVGoggles";

Great work as usual... Is this going to be compatible with the passengers as well?? (ex: on the MH-9 benches, and in UH cargo cabins)??

Great work as usual... Is this going to be compatible with the passengers as well?? (ex: on the MH-9 benches, and in UH cargo cabins)??

Affirmative. But it's slaved to the direction you are facing with the mouse, which isn't always the direction you are initially facing with your body. But that's an engine limitation that's been present for years.

Edited by Feint

Are the movements visible to other players, or even the player himself in 3rd person? Reason for asking, is wondering if BIS created the .rtm for such movements, or is this purely a 1st person view enhancement?

Thanks Feint

90% sure it won't be visible to other people or in 3rd person. It's only possible to see a players head looking left/right/up/down.

90% sure it won't be visible to other people or in 3rd person. It's only possible to see a players head looking left/right/up/down.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. But just to be safe, I was planning on using a PIP pointing at my head to see what my head is doing while moving around. I just forgot. :)

Things left to do:

-Test everything with no addons activated

-Finalize addon

-Finalize graphics - DONE

-Make a release video

-Make a mod.cpp

-Make a readme file

-Pack and do unpack test

-Upload and do a download test

-Release to public

Nice idea. I was sold on it as soon as you looked around to check on the passengers in the back :) always bugged me that I couldn't do that. Also leaning out to look at the ground straight down will be very useful.