Sign in to follow this  
amx225

Best Vietnam War FPS?

Vietcong is one of the best game experiences i have ever had, but when i played it again some years back it was never the same.

Don't think anything will come close to the first time you play it but a great game nonetheless.

Don't think anything will come close to the first time you play it

Very true indeed.

Though for me this game is simply too outdated and too spoiled by ArmA(like many other shooter games).

I wish BI would make an expansion in Vietnam with the ARMA 3 engine.

Vietnam was so much more then a few guys trudging through the jungle. The combined arms assaults would be incredible to recreate.

I wish BI would make an expansion in Vietnam with the ARMA 3 engine.

Vietnam was so much more then a few guys trudging through the jungle. The combined arms assaults would be incredible to recreate.

Let's just say I would have much rather had a Vietnam themed ArmA 3 than Greece ;)

Let's just say I would have much rather had a Vietnam themed ArmA 3 than Greece ;)

Me to. Hopefully a really good mod comes out or expansion that taps into this neglected theater.

So I got Hands on a copy and I´m into the second mission. But Lord the AI is stupid. Especially when it comes to pathfinding. My Pointman gets stuck every few meters on something invisible....

So I got Hands on a copy and I´m into the second mission. But Lord the AI is stupid. Especially when it comes to pathfinding. My Pointman gets stuck every few meters on something invisible....

Good old Nhut! He is very hesitant but kind of adds to the atmosphere. Also there are I believe still a few hardcore coop things to going around once you've finished that and fist alpha. Remember to read your diary as well. Around Xmas in the game you get a nice gift/shipment of something :D .

Also to you guys who have played through it. Seems I am one of the few which did this on Halloween :) :

I stoped playing. The game CTDs everytime during a dialogue in that second mission.

Not quite Vietnam, but Hidden & Dangerous 2 had a good series of missions set, I think, in Burma.

I had that on my first playthrough when I regularly walked ahead of my pointman. When I played it the second time I stayed behind him as much as I could and tried to follow in his exact footsteps while trying to maintain a certain interval. He got stuck a lot less then. Also helps to stay clear of booby-traps.

Yay I fixed it!

I got myself the VCStarter

http://www.vietcong1.cz/index.php?site=files&file=42

The Pointman doesn´t get stuck anymore and the game doesn´t CTD. I´m happy^^

Yah it had issues with Win 7 as I remember - glad you found the fix :D

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Not quite Vietnam, but Hidden & Dangerous 2 had a good series of missions set, I think, in Burma.

Another excellent game, and the 1st one. I co-oped the hell out of both of them :)

Yah it had issues with Win 7 as I remember - glad you found the fix :D

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Another excellent game, and the 1st one. I co-oped the hell out of both of them :)

Yup actually have H&D1 deluxe installed atm, 2 was fantastic. Shame its expansion never would install on vista64 for me, I even bought 3 different copies just to be sure!

As for Vietcong Fist Alpha that actually crashed on vista64 at well during the radio call on the first mission so have not been able to play the expansion in years.

Oh yeah me too :) had an absolute blast co-oping that game. It set a high bar that's for sure.

Even the basic MP deathmatch was pretty good. I even managed to rank reasonably high on that, perhaps the only ever time I ever ranked in any game, certainly the only time I ever bothered to be bothered about it.

Oh yeah me too :) had an absolute blast co-oping that game. It set a high bar that's for sure.

Even the basic MP deathmatch was pretty good. I even managed to rank reasonably high on that, perhaps the only ever time I ever ranked in any game, certainly the only time I ever bothered to be bothered about it.

I played H&D2 and the expansion like crazy and regularly reinstall it (in a similar pattern to Deus Ex, System Shock 2 or Fallout 2 ;) ), but I have never played H&D1... do you recommend it? Is it as good as the sequel?

I played H&D2 and the expansion like crazy and regularly reinstall it (in a similar pattern to Deus Ex, System Shock 2 or Fallout 2 ;) ), but I have never played H&D1... do you recommend it? Is it as good as the sequel?

It is good but the 2nd is a great evolution in many aspects. If you don't mind the graphics and clumsy gameplay by today's standards, go ahead! Ah yes, it's freeware!

http://www.hidden-and-dangerous.net/deluxe/download.php

Another game like it but not as good is Deadly Dozen. There is also a sequel in the pacific.

H&D have some nice concepts and details that are missing in other games and there isn't a true successor to it.

Pick your team, your gear for the campaign and then again for each mission, scavenge for more weapons; Nice missions and flow; Good graphics and you can see whan each unit is carry just by looking at it; Command structure is nice and the list goes on.

Arma could learn somethings from it, specially from H&D2, great game.

Of the two H&D2 is definitely the superior, we never found a reason to go back to H&D1 other than to replay SP missions for nostalgia. It felt more clunky as I remember it.

I think the first hidden & dangerous was the best, i remember cooping it a lot :cool:

Of the two H&D2 is definitely the superior, we never found a reason to go back to H&D1 other than to replay SP missions for nostalgia. It felt more clunky as I remember it.

The controls of H&D1 remind me of those of ArmA where as the H&D2 movement is just right videogame wise.

well i played vietcong a whole lot

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/eggbeast/vc2eggshotty.gif

and all of that experience has fed into our revamping of unsung for arma2

What are ur favourite missions in vietcong 1 & 2? and have u played singleplayer campaign of Men of Valor pc game it also has similar gameplay and many maps.

Edited by Amx225

What are ur favourite missions in vietcong 1 & 2? and have u played Men of Valor pc game it also has similar gameplay and urban and jungle maps.

I would not say MOV has similar gameplay to VC1, VC1 is a far more claustrophobic experience. MOV has little character in comparison and does not really catch the atmosphere of VC1, I enjoyed some of the stuff in MOV but found the game more frustrating than anything else, VC1 was to me a far more intimate experience and made you feel part of your squad in a dangerous environment, each day returning to base and kicking back while waiting for the next mission (that part I loved).

Mov felt to me you were part of an epic, and went to all these massive battles ect, whereas VC1 you kept within the limits of Nui Pek as the base was really cut off from anywhere else, and when you were called on to a big operation like the Hamburger hill mission it was genuinely exciting reading the diary in the build up and the mission briefing, some Mov could not do because it seemed to thrust you into big ops every mission so it just become meh.

(Maybe a tad biased though as Vietcong 1 is in my top 5 or 6 games ever, completed campaign expansion probably 20 times :P )

Hey Jeza...

(for those who haven't finished VC, caution - SPOILER)

...where Ya goin' with that gun in Your hand?

Edited by JonPL

Hey Jeza...

(for those who haven't finished VC, caution - SPOILER)

...where Ya goin' with that gun in Your hand?

Love that one, the pre hamburger hill bit the foliage is so claustrophobic, load of Punji traps everywhere and NVA in those little bamboo emplacements which are at knee height!

Also Jon, know if the expansion pack works on 7? Always crashed on the first radio call for me on vista but may give both another go if it all works fine, maybe even delve into some mods!