Sign in to follow this  
kominikx

Survive - Radio Silence - AI

Hello,

If anyone is playing Survive campaign and mission Radio Silence. Can you confirm?

Seems that Mortar crew is pretty blind. Tried like 15x times to set them coordinates to destroy towers. Only once they hit tower 3, the rest of .....goes nowhere doing 0.000000 damage. Very useful support...

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Been using map or visual guiding - no change.

mortars are not accurate... just splash all of it in the middle and move in to clean up manually, which is not that hard

I guess it's better to use spoiler tags :

Yeah those mortars are completely useless, that very badly designed (or is it intended ?).

They could need some practice.

I only managed to blow up an empty truck and a fennek. However no enemy casaulties.

But as others say its not very hard to clear the camp anyway(if possible snipe some of the guys in the towers before you move in to make it even more easy

Simply let them fire at the middle of the base. You will fail the task but there is really nothing you can do about that.

mortars are not accurate... just splash all of it in the middle and move in to clean up manually, which is not that hard

The NEMO system in game are not mortars. They are a more accurate device used in real life. Though it seems they were adjusted in the campaign by the mission.

More or less what I heard a while back.

Edited by ProGamer

The NEMO system in game are not mortars. They are a more accurate device used in real life. Though it seems they were adjusted in the campaign by the mission.

*shrug* the guy with the shiny batch said they where mortars in the briefing (yes i did listen) so i'll remain with mortar =P

Huh? The shells in that mission are delivered by a physical mortar piece. The problem is that when the mission was designed, mortars in the game were dead-accurate and each one landed exactly where requested. This was brought up by the community and the accuracy of mortars was adjusted to be less precise. As a result, the objective to target individual towers in this mission is no longer feasible, despite claims to the contrary.

*shrug* the guy with the shiny batch said they where mortars in the briefing (yes i did listen) so i'll remain with mortar =P

Hmmm, they looked like a similar but slightly different device. My bad.

Mortars were never really accurate. And you can still finish the mission if you fail the task.

Does it matter anyway? AI don't use the tower properly, then it's sitting ducks.

Does it matter anyway? AI don't use the tower properly, then it's sitting ducks.

Yes it matters, this mission feels really unpolished in a good campaign.

i reloaded the mission something like 30 times with the goal of hitting at least one of the three objectives. I managed to hit the big white building on the left, the storehouses far in the background near the back tower, i also managed to blastkill the soldiers inside the towers, but never ever managed to deliver a direct hit on the structures. i surrendered.

Edited by Maffa

Mortars were never really accurate. And you can still finish the mission if you fail the task.

Strange, I failed the task but completed the mission. Used the mortar to clear out the enemies inside the base rather than the towers.

In this post Zipper5 tells what is going on. I wish someone had realized that the change to mortar accuracy would break this mission. In 2035 one would think that mortars would have near pinpoint accuracy, as was the case before the damn change. WTF! Immersion is broken big time when it is essentially impossible to complete the first mission task and we have to search the forums to find out what the hell is going on. I hope that either the mortar accuracy change is reverted, or the mission is changed so that the mortars need only kill a certain number of AAF in the base, not just those in the towers. Or double or triple the number of mortar rounds available. I am not a happy camper. :mad: :j:

Someone else already noted that when you have to defend the base from reinforcements, your squad leader runs right up the road almost to where the AAF cars stop, and is quickly dispatched, leaving me alone with a light MG against like 8-10 (?) guys, and of course no mortar rounds left. That waypoint near where the cars stop should be revised. What is left of Bravo squad stays at Mike-26. Not a pretty picture.

Veteran, stable build 1.04.111745.

Note: by some miracle, I got a mortar round to land directly on top of one of the towers, and it didn't kill the AAF guy manning it. :(

Edited by OMAC

First shot may be, and probably will not be so accurate not only because supposed mortars inaccuracy, but because of FO's sent coordinates errors (at least today, in 2035 who knows... Perhaps then it is as easy as "point&click"). That's why we have in CFF "adjust fire" option. And exactly this is badly lacking in the mission IMHO. Would be better fun, if the player had to adjust fire with own determined amendments (50 meters left, 100 meters forward etc.). Also some additional radio traffic simulating proper CFF protocol would be very nice.

Edited by Rydygier

^ ^ If the map is used to provide targets to mortar gunner, then coordinate error should be negligible. The capability to "walk in" rounds to target would be a good addition. Round impact points would be automatically marked on map, and you would submit corrections to gunner's aim. But that won't happen.

I wonder when the change to mortar accuracy occurred. After campaign release? I see nothing about mortar accuracy in dev build changelogs back through July 30. This issue points again to problems in developing playable content when the engine and configs are constantly changing, and lack of proper communication between departments.

I haven't tried it, but perhaps the Supports Showcase is also adversely effected by the mortar accuracy change.

Another unhappy customer.

Edited by OMAC

Yeah, the only problem in this mission is that the player feels bad for failing the task. It shouldn't even be a success/failure thing. In real life, no commander expects their artillery to fulfill certain kill quotas. You hit the towers, you freaked them out, caused some casualties, job done. Anything else is just fortune of war.

Why don't we just get a Task Cancelled instead of a Task Failed - that should satisfy completionists.

And some radio comms would be nice "Damn, the mortars failed to knock out the base, oh well let's swoop in and clean up the stragglers".

Yes, I'm not saying that the mortars should be able to hit a 10mx10m target with pinpoint accuracy every time, given wind, operator/equipment error, etc., but such pinpoint accuracy is what the mission designer had in mind for the first task (the exact targets you are supposed to hit are marked on the map), so it would probably be best if the mission was changed as I suggested. However, I think that the mortar accuracy is now too low. Some rounds hit like 50-100+m from where you aimed it, and there isn't much wind. Perhaps the round trajectories should be effected by wind speeds and direction, or at least the accuracy should be relative to those environmental factors (e.g. accuracy goes down by a factor as wind speed increases).

And since the task is named something like "neutralize the towers," it can only fail, not be cancelled. But if you changed the task to "Attack base with mortars," then it could complete if # of enemy in base is below a certain number, or when a certain number of rounds impact the base area.

Edited by OMAC

I took out the towers, I just used the map and fired 2 shots at each objective. It really doesn't help though because the 6 rounds only take out 3 people and you still have to deal with the

reinforcements

The question is : did someone ever manage to fulfill that task ?

Yes. Objective "Neutralize Watch Towers" complete. Got "Good work, Kerry." radio message.

The point is to use one shell in time. Seems it more precise that way. To get the objective done you need to kill five soldiers in total. Three standing in the watch towers, two - on the roof of security building.

After its done you can disobey order to mount APC immediately and stay on the hill little longer - to use remaining shells (if any left) or just to snipe all visible enemies (MRCO in zoom mode pretty useful). When done - mount APC and continue with the mission.