Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

FPS worse after latest stable update - BIS seriously why_

People with performance issues need to be as clear and concise about their problem as possible.

Reading posts I see multiple separate issues being mentioned and people are confusing them/treating them as the same issue.

• The multiplayer server performance linked to client performance issue.
  • The bad client scripts performance issue.
  • The client side AI performance issue/CPU under-use issue.
  • The view distance/object loading causing serious CPU strain issue.

I've probably missed out a few but there's a quick list.

You may have 2 or more of the above issues at the same time, they do however need to be treated as separate issues if we want BI to investigate and fix.

Totally agree with Furret.

Reading this whole tread it seems that the complaint is based on "feelings" and no hard evidence for FPS drop with the new update.

You can't go back unfortunately, but if you want to compare your FPS, make sure you do it on a benchmark mission, with exactly the same settings.

Keep in mind that there are dozens of factors that impact your FPS: Scripts, VD (can be set by the mission or server!), MP or SP, number of AI, location on map, etc.

I use the exact same missions to test every time. I was also clear and concise in that I don't test multi-player and it's all single player based.

Hi Furret, i m testing in SP with the always same mission and same Settings. In the last Stable have for me horrible Stuttering.

I7 4770, GTX 780, 16 GB Ram, 4x SSD

Is this a mission you've made yourself or someone else?

Is it something where you can load up and see poor performance every time, compared to being in an empty editor?

Sorry to not bring any numbers, but game definitely runs worse than it did before the campaign update. Campaign runs like crap compared to the previously available SP scenarios, and MP feels even slower now.

Is this a mission you've made yourself or someone else?

Is it something where you can load up and see poor performance every time, compared to being in an empty editor?

I gauge using an empty editor for the top end fps, I use the Stratis battle scenario that is usually on the main menu and I also use one of Binkowski's missions as a real world SP fps test.

Really? I highly doubt your fps is so consistent across the board in any given scenario that you can throw out a "-3fps loss" claim... I mean we are talking about arma here.

We should all download and play the exact same test mission. Everyone test settings and maybe see if we can help each other out, even see if the dev build plays it better. Just a thought....

We should all download and play the exact same test mission. Everyone test settings and maybe see if we can help each other out, even see if the dev build plays it better. Just a thought....

How about BIS providing a clean coded test mission. A benchmark. Something consistent to rate our performance against.

Arma Fanboys will always point at hardware specs, then mission scripting, then server setup/performance...before they ever cast a suspicious eye or a critical word at the core game code or the size of the map (Altis). Thats just how they roll...

I can't say that Ive ever seen BIS officially post anything for Arma3 commenting on overall poor performance, core code issues, or fps consistency problems. They obviously know about it but are unwilling or unable to address it.

I think too they´re unable to solve it "at the moment". But claiming accuracy in describing a performance issue to supsend possible causes isn´t fanboy-behavior in my opinion, its common sense.

Would be interesting to see a comparison stable vs dev version with helo´s altis benchmark http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151794-ArmA3Mark-Benchmark-your-ArmA-3/page14 this bench is a little bit cpu-dependent because there are flyovers only

Edited by JumpingHubert

I'm not absolutely sure. But i tried it now.

And helps to fix temporary this problem, u got a small fps boost, but it's like running over ice or something else, non smooth animations. It's

fluid by low fps, but we need a Hotfix. :(

I wonder if it's actually changing one of these settings, because I can't find any reference to it anywhere:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000; setting not available in UI, supported values 1 to 1000 (0==driver), May lower 'Mouse lag' by GPU render-ahead buffer

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3; written by engine each start, changing it manually has no effect!

I can confirm performance drop since 1.04. I had to lower my graphics settings and still get worse FPS than before. :(

I'm shocked to see that the game after the latest update runs worse than before. It makes me wonder and I consider quitting the game cause I'm tired of all the talk but no results.

I mean at least don't make it worse if you can't improve the performance. Forget optimization but keep it as it is instead of destroying it.

Counting minus -3-5 FPS with the latest update.

Thank you!!

Why are you shocked? They added a bunch of "STUFF" that didn't improve performance. Lets face it...they either don't care about performance or playability ...OR they don't know how to fix it. Its not really surprising. They are more interested in adding pretty stuff..bells and whistles than they are in making the game more playable / fun. I wouldn't be surprised if they sit in the cubicles at BIS...play on their core i7's with GTX Titans, across the LAN and think the game runs peachy...

On an up note:

- I now have pretty light beams shining through the trees.

- I actually did stop and look at them several times today.

- Then I got shot at...wheeled around...my fps dropped 20 pts.

- The game took three seconds to recover.

- I was dead...laying there looking up at the sun shining through the trees...

- It really was pretty though.

In retrospect, I'd like some falling leaves from the trees next time. Something to cover my dead body with and eat up another computing cycle or two. Can we get that in the next update BIS. Please. I'm off to post my feature request in the issue tracker..

Note to self: Never look at the light beams.

See also: "Never look at butterflies, pollen, bees, rabbits, clouds, flowers, snakes etc."

Edited by Bvrettski

Even with an i7 overclocked to the max and a GTX Titan, the game really only runs "acceptably". The problem is really not a lack of "computer horsepower" but rather a total lack of use of that horsepower. It's always been an issue with the RV engine even back to ArmA.

Why are you shocked? They added a bunch of "STUFF" that didn't improve performance. Lets face it...they either don't care about performance or playability ...OR they don't know how to fix it. Its not really surprising. They are more interested in adding pretty stuff..bells and whistles than they are in making the game more playable / fun. I wouldn't be surprised if they sit in the cubicles at BIS...play on their core i7's with GTX Titans, across the LAN and think the game runs peachy...

On an up note:

- I now have pretty light beams shining through the trees.

- I actually did stop and look at them several times today.

- Then I got shot at...wheeled around...my fps dropped 20 pts.

- The game took three seconds to recover.

- I was dead...laying there looking up at the sun shining through the trees...

- It really was pretty though.

In retrospect, I'd like some falling leaves from the trees next time. Something to cover my dead body with and eat up another computing cycle or two. Can we get that in the next update BIS. Please. I'm off to post my feature request in the issue tracker..

Note to self: Never look at the light beams.

See also: "Never look at butterflies, pollen, bees, rabbits, clouds, flowers, snakes etc."

I think removing some/all of the animals and other useless things such as dragonfly's,butterflies and fish the game and players simply don't need .Do wee need to have fish and sea grass one kilometer out to sea?

That would save a cycle or two?

The performance issues, low fps in mp + memory leaks(degrading fps in mp), and the general lack of obvious content and features (mostly in Arma3) got me to leave this game series (and BIS!) which I bought and played since OFP . It's just too unsatisfying and I consider it disrespectful attitude and behavior from BIS towards the players cause by maybe a lack of (human + financial) resources on many levels. Also my interests chanced with age in a more in non-gaming and real life direction so I can't allocate so much time and tolerance(!) to a game in this state of functioning as before. I like the non-troublesome functioning and high fps of BF3+4, which I play occasionally with great fun although it's arcade style world sometimes annoys me great :D

Lower FPS hit me aswell.

Best test was to move to Kavala. Before the Update, I was able to go through that Town fluently (On some MP-Mission). Now after the Update, it starts stuttering on the same Settings... Event turned nearly everything on low... not getting any better :/ what happened, BIS?

I just played the Dead Nation mod and the latest patch removed the animals with a jump from 20 at best fps to 50fps at a custom setting of high.

FX8350

HD7950

These are many new errors in server' rpt, I think those are connected to this decrese of fps( see feedbacktracker ). A mission than before run smooth now is going very slow, mp and client..

These are many new errors in server' rpt, I think those are connected to this decrese of fps( see feedbacktracker ). A mission than before run smooth now is going very slow, mp and client..

Would that affect users running the -nologs parameter where an rpt file isn't written though?

Would that affect users running the -nologs parameter where an rpt file isn't written though?

And error is and error even if you dont write it :-)

what about point us to the ticket (url) ?

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

And error is and error even if you dont write it :-)

not entirely true, it depends WHAT error ;)

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15795 this is the main error

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=15764 this war reporter and fixed ( how fast, great )

there are also others error but was there before latest patch

The first error ( On one monitor I got server: asm, rpt, and procexp and the other I play ) I noticed that when this error ( the first ) after a while finished to spam my rpt server fps went from 10 to 47. Maybe it's a coincidence but this error was heavy spammed ( and before never seen it ) also in the other play we did and we got the same performance ( game almost unplayable ) , when this went out from rpt server fps and client ( after a while ) returned to normale value.