Sign in to follow this  
iLLcAtTiViSsiMo

Are You're CPU Cores Unparked? You'd Be Suprised At The Answer

After 2 loooong weeks of tweaking this game to death I FINALLY got it to work perfectly. The truth is that it's not all the developers fault. It's half them and half windows.

After using -nolongs, -maxMem=2047 and the .cfg file tweak, I gained a substantial increase in performance, but had a long way to go. It appears the problem was with my hardware. Apparently, my quad core cpu was only being HALF used in general. I checked in task manager and sure as balls half my cores were parked!

So after doing some googling, I found out how to "unpark" ALL of my cores. I went through the process, rebooted, kept my fingers crossed, and success followed. (I know it worked because I can see each and every core being utilized and charted in task manager and they were no longer labeled as "parked")

Once I successfully put my cpu in full force, I simply added the -cpuCount=4 and -exThread=7 to the launch options and BAM! I'm running MAX settings on everything incuding the furthest draw distances possible! Running between 40-60 FPS on a public server I used to only get 25-30.

EDIT: I am an idiot. There were server draw distance settings overriding my in game settings, I think. I can still run draw distances over 3000, though.

For whatever reason, even though I've unparked my cpu cores, I didn't notice a difference until I used the -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7 launch parameters.

That's it. Done. The worst part is I've been using half my cpu ALL this time with all of my software.

My Rig:

Windows 7 64-bit

i7-3820 @ 3.6 GHz

8 gigs ram

gtx 660 ti

1440x900 resolution monitor @ 75 Hz.

I can't write a formal guide for unparking cpu cores as there are many types of cpus and operating systems. So just google away.

Once you successfully unpark all of your cores and verify it, just use the tricks that are in the sticky:

-noLogs, -maxMem=(see sticky guide), cpuCount=(see sticky guide), exThread=(see sticky guide)

arma3.cfg file: change GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000 to GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1

DISABLE VSYNC for maximum FPS.

So there you have it. Do some leg work and get it done.

CAUTION: PERFORM ANY OF THESE TWEAKS AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU TRULY DON'T HAVE A CLUE AS TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING, THEN DO NOT ATTEMPT THEM

Note: I've already posted this in another thread, but decided to create my own.

Edited by iLLcAtTiViSsiMo

I guess your game has run top notch from day one? This is exciting for me and I hope it guides people in the right direction. Most of the "guides" available are only half informative and I've tried to condense it into a general guide.

All of this is well known at this point.

Most of the things don't even do anything or are not necessary. cpucount, exthreads don't need to be set for example, they are automatically detected.

I guess your game has run top notch from day one? This is exciting for me and I hope it guides people in the right direction. Most of the "guides" available are only half informative and I've tried to condense it into a general guide.

Your "guide" is nothing more than stuff that's already been posted, that stuff being all the launch parameters. You could at least say how you unparked your cores. So what if hardware is different? You could at least put up what you did, and someone could then try it.

All of this is well known at this point.

Most of the things don't even do anything or are not necessary. cpucount, exthreads don't need to be set for example, they are automatically detected.

Not for nothing, but I thought the same thing. After doing the whole unpark thing, draw distances still affected my game more so than I thought they should. So I used those parameters just for the hell of it and it actually worked.

If they did nothing, then why would the devs sticky it? I do agree that it may not work for everyone, but for what ever reason it brought my tweaking spree to an end.

cpucount and exthreads are in there for troubleshooting.

Also tried the unparking thing with cpupark or whatever the program is called and it yielded nothing but bluescreens for me. Using a 1230v3.

Your "guide" is nothing more than stuff that's already been posted, that stuff being all the launch parameters. You could at least say how you unparked your cores. So what if hardware is different? You could at least put up what you did, and someone could then try it.

Like I said. Google it. Youtube is a beautiful thing. I'm not the guy to mess around with your registry comfortably, so I'd rather people got the concept of what I did and took it from there.

As an offshoot from a thread in the development branch here's how I unparked the cores in my PC.

You need to search for this string in your registry:

0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583

and change max and min values to 0. (Then press F3 to find the next entry).

This video by a midget in the bottom left hand corner explains in detail.