Sign in to follow this  
karynova

Wait for me (radio 1-7)

I consider myself a veteran OFP player, but I noticed the other day that I never ever use the "Wait for me" command. When I do, it seems to do exactly the same thing as the "Stop" command.

Can anybody tell me what the difference is between these two commands, and what people use the "Wait For Me" command for, if anything?

The units under your command wait for you, and when you've arrived they start moving with you again, but when you use the "stop" command they just stop and don't join you anymore *I think*

Im pretty sure thats it. But ive never had the use for it myself. I always let the AI walk into fire tounge.gif

I tried doing that, but when I get back they just stand around looking stupid. I can even push them around and they do nothing.

I guess I'm missing something.

Bah dont worry about it too much. Remeber AI works perfectly as a Human Shield in OFP. They're really great for suicide missions too. tounge.gif

i tested something and might have an answer

i placed 5 guys with me, under my command.

they were ordered to hold fire

when my Russian human targets came close, I ordered 2 and 4 to attack one. they did, without moving from there position.

i ordered 3 and 5 to attack. they actually advanced and threw grenades to kill russians.

so, my guess is that given 'Wait for me', your soldiers will stop at that place as long as next orders are given to move.

while giving 'stop' command will stop whatever they are doing, and take next command to fullest.

that would explain why my two soldiers whowere given command to stop, dashed at russians and threw grenades, while ones given "wait for me" stood at their place.

I think it's used for AI who drive vehicles. If you disembark from a vehicle with AI driving and try to get back in, the AI will drive the vehicle away from you attemping to keep a formation.

Now, If you give them the "wait for me" command, they will wait untill you enter the vehicle and automaticlly return to the current formation. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jimz0rz @ Aug. 27 2002,09:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it's used for AI who drive vehicles. If you disembark from a vehicle with AI driving and try to get back in, the AI will drive the vehicle away from you attemping to keep a formation.

Now, If you give them the "wait for me" command, they will wait untill you enter the vehicle and automaticlly return to the current formation.  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hhmm...good point biggrin.gif

I bloody hate that! Medic!!!!!!! No sorry sir gotta keep formation, hey sir! Stop chasing me I have to keep formation ARGH!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ Aug. 27 2002,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I bloody hate that! Medic!!!!!!! No sorry sir gotta keep formation, hey sir! Stop chasing me I have to keep formation ARGH!<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif   I can't count the number of times I've been shot while playing chase the medic.

"Come back here!  NO!  Don't go towards the T-80!!"

rofl, yes i know exactly what you mean...now that you mention that, ill try that "wait for me" thingy later and see if it works

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ice Heart @ Aug. 27 2002,17:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ Aug. 27 2002,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I bloody hate that! Medic!!!!!!! No sorry sir gotta keep formation, hey sir! Stop chasing me I have to keep formation ARGH!<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif   I can't count the number of times I've been shot while playing chase the medic.

"Come back here!  NO!  Don't go towards the T-80!!"<span id='postcolor'>

Heh, whenever that happens.. I just shoot him in the leg.. He waits wink.gif

Crap wheres that medic.. we need to drive to Davle..

*Backs over the medics head.*

wow.gif Crap !

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sphinx @ Aug. 28 2002,11:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh, whenever that happens.. I just shoot him in the leg.. He waits wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I think I'm gonna add that suggestion to The FAQ item on medics. smile.gif

biggrin.gif Your welcome Avon. Also check out my new thread entitled. Ten most annoying things to happen while playing OFP. In the general section.