Sign in to follow this  
lightspeed_aust

Where are the old objects?

Is like to see BIS port the objects from previous series. Tbh, I can't actually understand why you wouldn't bring the library of objects straight across. Please explain.

I've already created the thread about buildings devoid of life but you're not even giving us the objects to fill in the gaps. All of the taki stuff would look at home here.

Please add.

Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

Good things come to those who wait.

Good things come to those who wait.

Perfect things would have been there from the beginning.

We will never see the level of content Arma 2 had, ever. :(

You don't say? ArmA2 had content from a cancelled game and had a standalone expansion pack that could be combined with the base game to help it, of course we won't.

Also, a lot of ArmA2's content was clearly upgraded from ArmA1.

Porting arma 2s content wholesale would mean you need to rework everything to get the new materials for bullet penetration, and make sure the buildings behave correctly, add destruction LODs, etc, etc. Thanks, but no thanks.

I`d rather have completely new stuff.

It's BIS, perfect cannot go in the same sentence as beginning.

LOL. I couldn't have said it better. Yeah, give 'em some time. They just came out with the Ghost Hotel, which shows their still working on it all. I was worried they were going to do the "Crysis 3" dump and run, but it looks like its going to go like Arma 2 did, which took time but ended up good in the end. The new graphics are a LOT better than Arma 2, and while I may not be thrilled with Greece, it does have some perks ( like stone walled houses :) ). Not to mention they outdid themselves with the new penetration system. Hopefully, some of the bigger modding groups like ACE will come to mod again, then you'll probably see some of the old models come back. I would love to see the BTR-90 and BMP-3 make their return.

This.

I'd rather have realistic stuff. Standard vehicles and equipment like past Arma games had and one of the reasons people bought the game.

Though if ACE ported all the Arma 2 content, it would be nice seeing every server forcing ACE to be used.

I'd rather have realistic stuff. Standard vehicles and equipment like past Arma games had and one of the reasons people bought the game.

Assumption. And a wrong one on top.

Why do you speak for "people" anyways?

Though if ACE ported all the Arma 2 content, it would be nice seeing every server forcing ACE to be used.

1. they won't

2. LOL. every server owner is free to admin their paid server the way they want. You are free to get one yourself anytime you please.

Oh, you'll never see that. The people like me who like ACE are niche, niche, niche. I think we have one server still in Arma 2.

Some modders are already working in porting vehicles from previous Armas to their A3 mods. BTW as far as lots of people have bought Arma 3 without that features, maybe it was not one of the main reasons to buy A2 ( maybe mods like DayZ were ).

On the other hand, if you really want that stuff on A3 with a realistic enviroment, instead of expecting others to make the work for you, you can always start your own mod ( there are plenty of manuals and guides in the Editing forums ).

I'm sure some people will be happy with that option.

That's not gonna happen and it wouldn't be healthy for the community. Every server owner should decide what content is best for them ( from Star Trek mods, to vietnam war ones ).

Edited by MistyRonin

For the record, I was talking about objects like furniture, buildings, sandbags, etc. not the vcl.

I was referring to ACE having all the ported content as a large well known mod so that Arma 2 content is used widely.

I was referring to ACE having all the ported content as a large well known mod so that Arma 2 content is used widely.

ArmA2's content was from A1, a cancelled game, and A2 itself, as well as another standalone game and 3 DLCs....

More to the point, we'll have to find out just what exactly BI will release from Arma 2's library... but of course, no ETA on that. To say nothing of how some content such as FHQ M4 or RH M16/M4 basically already overtake any M16/M4 that I can see someone making with the Arma 2 sources....

It's BIS, perfect cannot go in the same sentence as beginning.

bis has had no experience with perfection on any level. i mean seriously-give these guys 10 years and they might be able to pull off a half assed version of bipod and weapon resting.

Porting arma 2s content wholesale would mean you need to rework everything to get the new materials for bullet penetration, and make sure the buildings behave correctly, add destruction LODs, etc, etc. Thanks, but no thanks.

Our group is currently working on bringing the currently available A1 MLOD content (lots of common A2 assets) upto OA standards and beyond... once A2 MLODS and new tool sets are available that work will continue for A3.

For the record, I was talking about objects like furniture, buildings, sandbags, etc. not the vcl.

Our workhorse M1lkm8n is a big fan of furniture, and is currently doing tons of buildings for A2 that will have all the A3 info once tools are available.

ArmA2's content was from A1, a cancelled game, and A2 itself, as well as another standalone game and 3 DLCs....

Arma2/OA is a mix of stuff even as old as OFP, I think it's very brave and visionary of BI to start fresh with brand new standards. The community can get a lot done with the right tools and source, so they're better off building a stronger platform with better play and performance than they are working on assets

Arma2/OA is a mix of stuff even as old as OFP, I think it's very brave and visionary of BI to start fresh with brand new standards. The community can get a lot done with the right tools and source, so they're better off building a stronger platform with better play and performance than they are working on assets

I don't know if I'd say it was brave, but it was definitely the right move.

I don't know if I'd say it was brave, but it was definitely the right move.

Maybe... What is right and how you go about it are two different things.

---------- Post added at 06:06 ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 ----------

Moving away from one of the aspects Arma was known for is not ok. They only way to justify it against greed, is lack of time and resources. Going to a more arcade approach to bring in more people that think realism is bad is not ok. You get sucked into the black hole of relentless cries and stupid balancing patches. And before you know it, the game becomes boring or just a quick high for casual players. By making things realistic, you provide a platform were the player can use real world knowledge and apply that to the game. You can do things that you could not do in real life in the militery and most importantly do not die in real life.

Regarding ACE, it was always that extra level of realism. The middle ground between Arma and VBS. Arma 2 was challenging and realistic and ACE took that to the next level. It did not make the game realistic, it made the game more realistic. Arma 2 on its own was realistic and ACE gave players the option for that extra level of realism, not to make the game realistic.

I was referring strictly to the creation of all new content for the game, which was absolutely the right decision. You can only reuse the same assets for so long.

Are you sure? New content is good but why not have it building on existing content?

Because the existing content looked, felt, and was super dated. I honestly can't believe they are even still using the same engine. It's probably the oldest engine being used in a AAA priced game.

Edited by roshnak

I was referring strictly to the creation of all new content for the game, which was absolutely the right decision. You can only reuse the same assets for so long.

Are you sure? New content is good but why not have it building on existing content?

Because the existing content looked, felt, and was super dated. I honestly can't believe they are even still using the same engine. It's probably the oldest engine being used in a AAA priced game.

ArmA3 reuses content from ArmA2 and its DLCs (many structures on Altis, a plane and a chopper) and Take On Helicopters (choppers)

CoD Ghosts uses Quake 3 engine - 14 years old

Crysis 3 uses CryEngine which is 12 years old

Batman Arkham Origin uses Unreal Engine which is 16 years old

Titanfall uses Source Engine which started as Quake 1 engine and is thus 17 years old

ArmA's RV is 12 years old.

Just to have facts straight here

It's probably the oldest engine being used in a AAA priced game.

ArmA is not an AAA title. well its far from it now. and certainly was not on release. maybe it will become an AAA title in the future.

ArmA's RV is 12 years old.

Just to have facts straight here

The age of an game engine isnt that rellevent. its how many manhours you put into it.

example CryEngine probably have 50 more people just working on the engine itself.

so in terms of hours spent on the engine, its most likely somewhere between 5-10 years ahead of RV "speculation".

back on topic.

AiA might be the hope for the lack of old objects.

but i dont have very high hopes that many old models/objects comming back to arma3 from a2/oa , so much work involved here.

Edited by nuxil