Rydygier

HETMAN - Artificial Leader

One more issue I am getting, which is actually an old one I got long ago. With that same init listed above (except with the reset turned back to default), I am getting the LeaderHQ teleported to the LeaderHQ objective every time its set by BB. Even before its taken. Even if it is taken, I have that disabled so that's sorta irrelevant. Any idea?

2 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Hm? HWS is standalone, contains proper version of HAL scripts inside. You shouldn't play it with HAL addon. 

When get new HAL, im remove old from HWS and paste new. HetmanWarStrories with HAL 1.23 is more better :).  But with latest not working, or i doing something wrong. 

Well, such manipulations you do on own risk. :) I've changed single line in the single file. Unless by doing so I broke whole HAL with some syntax mistake or something, from my experience, if injected into HWS previous 1.23wip was OK, this should work as well, I see no reason for it to be otherwise. If HWS is broken even before faction choosing GUI, then chance is good, you've broken something else in the mission, because this GUI is shown before HAL init. 

Any idea?

Nothing atm. I need to analyze relevant code parts. Not sure, when it could happen though. 

Disregard Ryd, error was because I forgot to place the Leaders objectives 1-4 for BB. Without those, it will cause the Leader to teleport to first obj made by BB. User error on my end. :whistle:

EDIT:

I am however now still getting the same capture bug upon each reset. Starts with 4 cap groups, then jumps to more and more on each reset.

Are you sure, corrected version is in use? Line 152 in the HQReset should look like this:

_trg setVariable [("Capturing" + (str _trg)),[_isC,((_amountC - _captDiff) max 0)]];

Yes sir, exact line in mine.

It is also doing it with recon missions.

Indeed, sent only 4 groups for the first objective, but lots of them for the second. So that line was only part of the problem. I'll investigate this, but not sure, when. Thanks for reports. 

One thing, if you're using single trigger for all 4 objectives - don't. That made difference in my tests. As soon I added separate trigger per each objective instead of tricks like RydHQ_Obj2 = RydHQ_Obj1 etc., amount of groups sent with capture task became normal also for second and third objective. Not sure, if Big Boss makes any difference though. 

I was using separate ones. 

It appears to be the use of forceAAO. With that disabled, Hetman sends appropriate number of units to capture and doesn't change on new cycle.

Question, what's the difference between a cycle and reset? If I wanted the Leader to send capture/attack missions quicker, what would I change? Obviously I could use rapid capture, but I would like to add some idle time in between. Just less.

Ahh nevermind. Capture bug is still happening. No matter if AAO is selected or not. 

Question, what's the difference between a cycle and reset?

Each cycle Leader re-evaluates situation on the battlefield (counting own groups, counting known enemies, assessing situation, morale update, stance choosing, new orders...) and issues according tasks for groups. At reset several other this are happening, like (AFAIR):

- tagging recon as not done (recon repetition);

- once spotted and handled, but now unknown enemies again are tagged as not handled;

- re-evaluation of defensive positions;

- choosing, which objective(s) to take next, which is taken, which is lost (so yep, more frequent resets should mean faster taking next objective);

- redeploying reserves;

- small chance for redeploying garrison;

- combining bled resting infantry groups, if close, and combining feature active. 

Capture bug is still happening.

In some free time I would like to investigate this further. What would help: exact, detailed bug desription (what exactly is happening when exactly in what kind of scenario) and vanilla (free of any mod dependency) repro mission.  It is Big Boss scenario, right?

EDIT: replicated the issue with own testing mission, I can start from here. It happens for second objective (and consequtive probably too). 

Hello, I were wondering what happens if you have multiple leaders on the same side and I couldn't find anything inside of the documentation so I figured I'd ask here.

So yeah, what happens if you have multiple leaders? Would they collide with one another without a BB in charge? Would they divide up the troops equally? Would the second leader wait until the first one is KIA before acting?

I'm asking because as from what I understood, whenever the leader is killed all units continue with their order indefinitely, with no other orders being given whereas I'd like if someone else took command.

Hello. You can have multiple Leaders per side (which is typical for Big Boss scenario) by setting each in limited control mode, where only chosen groups are under Leader's control. This way you can manually distribute forces of given side between several Leaders avoiding conflicts. Otherwise... Well, I guess, all Leaders in unlimited control mode will try to command all groups at once, BB or not BB. Of course group already busy due to order from one Leader will stay busy for all other Leaders, thus not ready for new order from anyone else - this probably will limit the chaos, making first Leader most active, while for the last ones there may be no one not busy to command most of the time. You can try this for fun. :) 

Although, as for having several Leaders, where new one takes command after previous is killed, it's not possible without additional scripting. When Leader's group is gone, the consequence is, no one will issue any new orders anymore. Currently pending task may be completed (or continued if endless, like "idle"). If you'll detect via script such situation (no more units in Leader's group), you may then via script pass "orphaned" groups to the next Leader, so far awaiting without any subordinates in limited control mode etc. That may work. 

Latest HAL working good with HWS, Im forgot merge description HAL and HWS :face_palm:

15 hours ago, Rydygier said:

All right, check this, hopefully fixed:

HAL 1.23wip3

Still getting same thing, unfortunately 

Hm, I'm not, I see 4 fire teams sent per each consequtive objective, which is correct, even with resets every minute. Well, without vanilla repro and detalied problem description in case, I misunderstud what exactly the problem is, I can't do more, since I no longer see the problem on my end. 

Does this mod make good use of pooks artillery pack? As in does the ai call arty strikes with the new units pook created?

15 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Hm, I'm not, I see 4 fire teams sent per each consequtive objective, which is correct, even with resets every minute. Well, without vanilla repro and detalied problem description in case, I misunderstud what exactly the problem is, I can't do more, since I no longer see the problem on my end. 

I have Force_AAO enabled. Maybe that makes the difference? I don't think I recall seeing it without that.

18 hours ago, kdub40k said:

Does this mod make good use of pooks artillery pack? As in does the ai call arty strikes with the new units pook created?

HAL uses Fire For Effect code for arty, so if it works with FFE, should work here. In general, custom arty may be handled, if responds properly on A3's arty script commands like doArtillerFire. Some custom arty does, some doesn't, AFAIR. Here are details about config etc. in analogous case:

I have Force_AAO enabled. Maybe that makes the difference? 

I'll test that. 

(...)

Tested. It's not a bug, it's how ForceAAO works with BB. Thing is, AAO makes Leader to try taking more, than one of his objectives at a time (not BB's objectives though!). But, in the BB mode all four Leader's objectives are moved together from one BB's objective to another. So, what you see is not so many groups attacking one objective, but simultanous attempt to capture few Leader's objectives at once, all on the same position of actual BB objective. Remedy is simple. If you do not want that, disable AAO when BB is active, since this is the only difference, AAO will make in the BB mode (AAO doesn't affect BB's strategy of taking BB's objectives order, on the BB level it is always one at a time per subordinate Leader). 

Ok, few steps ahead in the mission now. Thanks for all the assistance thus far Ryd.

Current issue I am running into now:

I set BB to all custom objectives, and I filled each of them with groups. I set all custom objectives as taken. What I expected was for the AI to patrol around these taken objectives until an engagement happens, an objective is lost, ect ect. But instead they create a defensive position around the LeaderHQ and abandon all the objectives. I tried setting the variable that determines the amount of groups needed to establish an objective as dependable to "1" but it made no difference, they still chose only the leader. My next idea, was to just add all of the groups to the no defense list. That worked until the leader decided to send 3/4 of the army as reserves to his position, again abandoning most of the taken objectives. Am I missing something Ryd?

Well, that's how BB works, hard to bend it to do otherwise. Defensive perimeters are reffering only to the Leader's objectives, not BB level objectives. Not sure, if you can do anything to achieve your goal without additional scripting (like leaving Leaders without groups under control until enemy shows or only then enabling Hetman at all). Although here are some possibilities to juggle with:

1. Yours No defense list idea or this:

RydHQ_Berserk = false – if true, Leader will keep offensive stance regardless of circumstancies. This will overwrite also RydHQ_Order = “DEFEND” setting; (to avoid defensive stance with orders at Leader's position) and/or:

RydHQ_Order = "DEFEND"; – sets army in defensive mode. Units will maintain positions near their commander. Re-defining this variable with any other value will set army back in attack mode (note: pay attention to the quotes, these must be double - ");

with:

RydHQ_IdleOrd = true - if false, “idle” orders will be not issued; (to avoid idle orders at Leader's position)

Also in case, reserves could get orders at Leader, not quite remember, but AFAIR shouldn't:

RydHQ_FirstToFight= [] - groups included in this array will be not considered as reserve. These groups will be constantly "attack available" and will be groups of first choice for offensive missions of proper for them kind despite distance order; this does not mean however, that these groups always and immediately receive attack mission; (and/or) +

RydHQ_ReconReserve = 0.3 * (0.5 + RydHQ_Circumspection) –  multiplication of total number of available in given cycle recon capable groups by this value will return number of such groups, that HAL will keep as recon reserve; +

RydHQ_AttackReserve = 0.5 * (0.5 + (RydHQ_Circumspection/1.5)) –  multiplication of total number of available in given cycle combat effective groups by this value will return number of such groups, that HAL will keep as main reserve (part of them may be used for main flanking maneuver);  

2. RydHQ_Garrison= [] - array for names of groups that will become “garrison”. Recommended mostly for infantry or land vehicles;

Hmm ok, thanks for the assistance. 

Question, in all my testing I have yet to see BB garrison units which seems a little odd. Especially with taken objectives. That versus them abandoning all that are taken seems a little more ideal.

In fact, BB is all about taking objectives, not so much about defending them later on. BB is quite reluctant to issue Garrison task, because this deprives him of one precious group. AFAIR it may be the more often, the more  BB has foot infantry to his disposal. After taking all objectives BB apparently (not really remember, what way I designed this) instead of spreading them all over the map, prefer to keep all free groups close to him, which usually would be rather wise IMO, I mean, "defender can't be strong everywhere, while attacker need to be strong at single, chosen spot only" kind of thinking, so better to have a quick response fist ready for reaction, where needed, than forces spread and thus overwhelmed piece by piece. 

Anyway to set regular HQ (no BB) as already haven objectives taken? 

I know you can set into defense mode, but I am not sure if leader ever comes out of it (ie, objective attacked).