Sign in to follow this  
Maxell

Altis map - planned changes

what i have wondered, why the forest do look quite empty, no smaller trees, no bushes, no anything, just trees trees trees. I've not much of idea, how the forests look at mediterranen, but i think, there is something more then just all the same trees, with same size and shape.

It depends on the kind of forest, but its pretty much as in the game. At least in the European Mediterranean coast.

22235_103664449656277_100000381679704_88040_7961596_n.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2582/3931842376_1de27df2b1_z.jpg (221 kB)

Very curious, I think this is a first for the Arma series, having new content of this magnitude added without it being expansion or dlc based, was this something that the team wanted in the first place but just didn't have the chance/time to work on it until recently?

Yes, I really like these new things, just keep adding new content, that's always great! And please add destructibility for some of the existing buildings. The big office buildings in kavala would be a great place for missions if we could enter and destroy them.

Also, the midrange texture thing is something you should try to fix.

I could make it with UAVs, but the Buzzard can't make it at least without taking damage from ramming something.

Not my experience. With flaps one notch down I can take off from any airfield on Altis.

Would be nice if the big map ran better..how about that for a change before you start adding sign posts, phone booths, and kiosks that add almost nothing to the game play.

The map is flat boring, sprawling and barren...has bad fps hits all over the place and with anything less than 150 players the island for the most part feels deserted unless you have a mission that packs players into a small area...then it lags so bad its unplayable.

Congrats on the world biggest map ever but until you provide improved performance, and good gametypes..its not very useful.

Strangely, i'm having alsmost same FPS in Kavala, biggest city on Altis, as on Agia Marina (40-50 on ultra), the town at Stratis. Altis is quite good optimized for me, i was excpecting really bad performance after Stratis, but i was positively suprized, how well it run at release version. Not agree it's boring, did you visit all location on Altis already? Montain area at south west of map, is really good for guirilla warfare, convoi ambush, base hunt etc. mountains, hills. Kavala big city, can be used for tons of scenarios. Swaps at mid east of map, perfect for hide and seek scenarios, already played a pvp mission, 2 clans, was incredible experience. Large airfield can be used for billions of scenarios, from hostage rescue to large scale battle with all kinds of units and vehicles. There are much more places and i can't call them "flat and boring". There were some real life vs ingame comparsion images. In game looks pretty damn close, just few bushes less here and there, but thats a big deal. The only thing, what bother me so far, are midrange textures, especially flying low on chopper, at some areas it looks really ugly.

Would be nice if the big map ran better..how about that for a change before you start adding sign posts, phone booths, and kiosks that add almost nothing to the game play.

The map is flat boring, sprawling and barren...has bad fps hits all over the place and with anything less than 150 players the island for the most part feels deserted unless you have a mission that packs players into a small area...then it lags so bad its unplayable.

Congrats on the world biggest map ever but until you provide improved performance, and good gametypes..its not very useful.

Can you confirm which map you are playing on? Is it some form of addon? Because the map I am playing on (Altis btw) is bloody brilliant!

Please change civilian houses. Every single house looks terrible, i dont know why. The insanely white-white walls, or the orange roofs. I dont know

huh? Never hear anyone complain about that. Nothing wrong with it, actually i like them. Something new, reminds me a bit of AC2 some italian houses

Please change civilian houses. Every single house looks terrible, i dont know why. The insanely white-white walls, or the orange roofs. I dont know

It's a common architectural style in the Mediterranean, and is accurately represented in the game.

LOL

*facepalm*

Let me guess! You haven't visited much the south of Europe, right?

BTW this photo is from "Altis" ;)

60617031.jpg

Edited by MistyRonin

Castle in Germany with slavic name Basedow.

1.jpg

Look at the rooves and insane white :D

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Let me guess! You haven't visited much the south of Europe, right?

BTW this photo is from "Altis" ;)

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/60617031.jpg

we have to ask the governeur of Lemnos, to repaint all rooves and buildings then. ;)

what i have wondered, why the forest do look quite empty, no smaller trees, no bushes, no anything, just trees trees trees. I've not much of idea, how the forests look at mediterranen, but i think, there is something more then just all the same trees, with same size and shape.

Agreed with that, if any changes to the map are really necessary, it would be to make the forests look denser. I don't think most people care to much about an added building, there is enough of that already, but the forests just look empty, as you said, they lack underbrush and all.

Here's a picture from Wikiemedia. And another one.

Agreed with that, if any changes to the map are really necessary, it would be to make the forests look denser. I don't think most people care to much about an added building, there is enough of that already, but the forests just look empty, as you said, they lack underbrush and all.

Here's a picture from Wikiemedia. And another one.

hmm, looks really close to europian forests.

All mediterranean forests don't look the same.

maybe, but i do hardly believe, there are no bushes, or smaller trees. You can't really find any cover.

maybe, but i do hardly believe, there are no bushes, or smaller trees. You can't really find any cover.

Yep, if you go to Corsica you'll see how dense a meditarrenean forest can be :). I've been several times to Greece but i didn't have a chance to see a forest there.

Well guys mediteranean forests can be incredibly dense, or just look like the ones we have in the game. But let´s face it guys you want to have a good performance right?

Well guys mediteranean forests can be incredibly dense, or just look like the ones we have in the game.

But most of them are dense.

But most of them are dense.

Nope in the Greek islands that I've seen, neither in the Balearic Islands, or in Southern France or the eastern spanish coast ( where I lived a few years ).

I have seen mostly dense forests in Atlantic climate, but Mediterranean climate tend to be really dry ( Csa/Csb in Köppen classification ).

Edited by MistyRonin

Can you confirm which map you are playing on? Is it some form of addon? Because the map I am playing on (Altis btw) is bloody brilliant!

Try playing it with 60-120 players and any amount of military hardware on the battlefield...it lags, it cokes, it gets unplayable. Compress all the action around a town and watch your fps cut by 50%. Yes its pretty to look at in spots...but 90% of it is rolling dusty barren hills with rubble rock walls.

How are we ever supposed to use / play it if we can't get enough people on it? The potential is there but until they have those 60 vs 60 battles BI bragged about running smoothly across the board, you have nothing but a map that fun to look at , play single player missions on or co-ops.

My proof...King of the Hill Altis...Core i7, 16GB Ram, GTX 670 4gb video card...ping 47. Average FPS on Altius with 50-60 players ...wait for it.....26fps! Same thing for other large scale multiplayer missions on Altis.

Yup...brilliant / unplayable / eye candy...so lets throw more stuff on the map....

Well guys mediteranean forests can be incredibly dense, or just look like the ones we have in the game.

Does it matter? Of course they can look like they do now, it's just that for the sake of variety (it *is* a game after all), a few denser forests would be a very welcome addition.

it *is* a game after all

This. I'm not worried about whether the map exactly matches some place I've never been anyway.

For Lemnos and Agios Efstratios (the real islands), they are much dryer with fewer forests than their in-game counterparts. Sure, I like trees, but when they drop FPS for me, I tend to wish they weren't there.

but forests are kinda usuless, your nearly like in a open field. Yes some have stones etc, but no bushes, nothing.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Try playing it with 60-120 players and any amount of military hardware on the battlefield...it lags, it cokes, it gets unplayable. Compress all the action around a town and watch your fps cut by 50%. Yes its pretty to look at in spots...but 90% of it is rolling dusty barren hills with rubble rock walls.

How are we ever supposed to use / play it if we can't get enough people on it? The potential is there but until they have those 60 vs 60 battles BI bragged about running smoothly across the board, you have nothing but a map that fun to look at , play single player missions on or co-ops.

My proof...King of the Hill Altis...Core i7, 16GB Ram, GTX 670 4gb video card...ping 47. Average FPS on Altius with 50-60 players ...wait for it.....26fps! Same thing for other large scale multiplayer missions on Altis.

Yup...brilliant / unplayable / eye candy...so lets throw more stuff on the map....

do we need to repeat this every single time, it depens on server you play, it depends on mission you play, ping has nothing to do with your performace.