Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Arma needs some "interesting" areas for infiltration, hideouts, bases, etc.

Crash and Pro here you have info about the Altis development. .

You'll see that though they get inspired in real locations, they don't copy them. They think about the performance and gameplay. Because again, this is a piece of entertainment.

Pro, if you want real terrain try VBS, and you'll notice widely the difference. In VBS you have real cities, with its real size and a close distribution of their streets. But then again, VBS is not for entertainment, is for training.

They never said they modified it for gameplay. They said it was modified in size due to engine limitations and that with accurate and realistic terrain would come gameplay.

They never said they modified it for gameplay. They said it was modified in size due to engine limitations and that with accurate and realistic terrain would come gameplay.

Look at this part:

We constantly have to look for the best compromise between appearance/functionality/performance. We could certainly build a map even more beautiful than Altis, but it would be unusable for the AI or it would run terribly on most computers

Modified due to engine limitations with the AI.

Are you serious?

The engine limitations are the ones that affect performance. Functionality is how you as a player use the map, for example giving orders to the AI controlled soldiers, ergo affects how you play so gameplay.

Are you serious?

The engine limitations are the ones that affect performance. Functionality is how you as a player use the map, for example giving orders to the AI controlled soldiers, ergo affects how you play so gameplay.

Same thing?

Same thing?

Dear ProGamer I yield, I believe you are a little bit obtuse. Try to open a bit your mind, to understand better what others say.

I support OP's request, adding some more detailed buildings, compounds or infrastructures wouldn't degrade Arma3's mil-sil experience, on the contrary it would increase it. But one thing we have to consider is that the performance would suffer a lot unless we downsize the island to 3x3KM, and I would like to see such maps in some DLC.

I support OP's request, adding some more detailed buildings, compounds or infrastructures wouldn't degrade Arma3's mil-sil experience, on the contrary it would increase it. But one thing we have to consider is that the performance would suffer a lot unless we downsize the island to 3x3KM, and I would like to see such maps in some DLC.

Well, in A2 DLCs and expansion you could find reduced maps with better details, so IMO it would make sense if that's done in A3 DLCs too.

When I think of Altis, I think it's like taking every map pack of a game and just putting it all together. It's dynamic in a way that you don't usually see.

But at the same time, it would be nice it there was more Close Quarters combat. It's all Midrange to long range for the most part. i would also like to see more detailed areas, kind of like how Arma Tactics has these cool places (from what I saw).

Gimme a large dam, or a sprawling Warehouse with large and small rooms. I want to be able to truly customize my experience like that.

Crash in fact a lot of people have had performance issues since the islands release, thats why the devs have been erasing stuff. So it doesn't seem probable that they will add more things.

But maybe they will release a new map in a expansion or dlc.

Whaaaaa?

I get better average performance on Altis than I do Stratis! Those damn trees...

That probably means that your GPU is out of whack with the rest of your system.

I'd never even considered it before, but it would be great to have a smaller, but more detailed land mass to play on. Knowing the talented people this community breeds, I'm sure it's not a question of "if" but "when" :)

I'd never even considered it before, but it would be great to have a smaller, but more detailed land mass to play on. Knowing the talented people this community breeds, I'm sure it's not a question of "if" but "when" :)

I don't know about smaller, but the new Ghost Hotel is a nice addition that is a new "interesting place". +1 BIS! More places like that will make the island more interesting and give us places to do CQB, set up bases, fortresses, etc.

You heard him, if you want to play a game with more varied buildings and terrain as you find in reality, you'd better go play other games. Seriously, why is the go-to reaction of anyone negative either calling features CoD or BF3? It's a perfectly valid request.

As others have said, as it stands the game will likely suffer a performance loss for more 'interesting' things, but I really would like to see a few more house variations or more unique buildings. A couple more houses to copy-paste around, a few larger administrative buildings to give the towns and cities a more 'real' vibe- all would add to the awesomeness of the map as well as the feel of Altis being more 'real'. I would assume the towns on Limnos aren't 100% made of houses, or at least occasionally broken up by a few larger buildings.

As BIS are already announcing additional details and areas being added to the map, however, I'm very optimistic for the future!

Yeah, I was surprised by the "Ghost Hotel". That's great. Can hardly wait to see it. And as for "performance", i'm playing this game right now on an old laptop. Its at all low, but its still barely playable. Considering the size of the island, that's not too bad. The graphics are pretty good too. It almost looks like Crysis Wars.

Personally, I think the mods should take a look at Crysis Wars, and a lot of the old FPS games. There were a lot of interesting type buildings in them that made excellent fortresses and bases for CQB and defense. I'm sure some of you have Power Struggle, which was an awesome game, and would fit well in Arma 3, especially since their going the "futuristic" way. Crysis Wars took place in about the same time period.

They all took place in old buildings, chemical warehouses, industrial sites, military bases, castles, even civilian (modern, not the shacks like in game ) homes.

Erm... have you not actually played the game yet? Altis has old buildings, several different models of them, it has industrial sites, again several with varied layouts and different building models (although you cannot enter the biggest ones), it has military bases, including ground outposts, multiple airfields of varying size, major instillations and military ports. Altis has 3 full sized castles I believe, and most of the homes in the game are modern in style. There are a few shack models, but 95% of the residential homes are modern, full-sized buildings.

I can see this complaint being made about Stratis, but even that map, which is has a lot of content for its size, has 5 military bases, old buildings, and modern civilian homes in the only populated civilian town of Agia Marina.

Aliabad and Isla Duala are just two examples of clever, small, immersive maps - they were hugely popular with the Arma 2 community for a reason. I don't understand the appeal of a "realistic" map of a Greek holiday island full of buildings the AI doesn't know how to use.

Erm... have you not actually played the game yet? Altis has old buildings, several different models of them, it has industrial sites, again several with varied layouts and different building models (although you cannot enter the biggest ones), it has military bases, including ground outposts, multiple airfields of varying size, major instillations and military ports. Altis has 3 full sized castles I believe, and most of the homes in the game are modern in style. There are a few shack models, but 95% of the residential homes are modern, full-sized buildings.

I can see this complaint being made about Stratis, but even that map, which is has a lot of content for its size, has 5 military bases, old buildings, and modern civilian homes in the only populated civilian town of Agia Marina.

Yeah, people keep telling me about these places. I got to go on a Walk About.

I don't understand the appeal of a "realistic" map of a Greek holiday island full of buildings the AI doesn't know how to use.

BIS CEO went there on a vacation with the family. Upon return he ordered BIS to make it an ArmA3 map.

BIS design 101, man.

They of course could've made Altis a lot more interesting by adding forests. After all they did the same for Stratis which has no forests IRL.

Altis has some cool looking areas but it needs real forests, otherwise it's nothing but a dull steppe that for some reason has barely any grass too (Lemnos is pretty grassy).

Edited by metalcraze

BIS CEO went there on a vacation with the family. Upon return he ordered BIS to make it an ArmA3 map.

BIS design 101, man.

They of course could've made Altis a lot more interesting by adding forests. After all they did the same for Stratis which has no forests IRL.

Altis has some cool looking areas but it needs real forests, otherwise it's nothing but a dull steppe that for some reason has barely any grass too (Lemnos is pretty grassy).

It's nice to have wide grassy areas, makes for interesting combat.

It's nice to have wide grassy areas, makes for interesting combat.

Shhhhh, don't ruin his crusade for ArmA to become a paperwork simulator if a friendly fire incident occurs with your truthfulness....

Shhhhh, don't ruin his crusade for ArmA to become a paperwork simulator if a friendly fire incident occurs with your truthfulness....

Seriously? We have forest areas already on Altis. You can have some nice tank warfare on the wide flat open grassy parts too. I like the game to be realistic, and not end up like all those arcade games out there. Since when did I say I wanted paperwork? With being realistic comes the awesome unrealistic tactics, plans, and use of equipment. That's what makes arma great.

Seriously? We have forest areas already on Altis. You can have some nice tank warfare on the wide flat open grassy parts too. I like the game to be realistic, and not end up like all those arcade games out there.

I must concur, but Metalcraze is the definition of taking it too far.