Sign in to follow this  
Crash

Arma needs some "interesting" areas for infiltration, hideouts, bases, etc.

As above. Remember all the old FPS games like TrueCombat, Infiltration, Urban Terror, etc? They all took place in old buildings, chemical warehouses, industrial sites, military bases, castles, even civilian (modern, not the shacks like in game ) homes. In Stratis and Altis, it feels like someone took about 5 buildings, and a few guard shacks, and just rubber stamped them everywhere. A little imagination in this game would be nice. Not just some satellite scan of a real island.

Rubber stamped? It's based off the real life location. Is quite photo realistic in many locations.

Arma has always had terrain based off of a real life location. It's one of the things gpfans love about Arma.

Maybe, but its pretty boring. If I wanted real life, I'd just walk out my front door. Texas looks A LOT like Altis. You can even find some stone houses like that on some ranches.

Maybe, but its pretty boring. If I wanted real life, I'd just walk out my front door.

It's not boring. It's beautiful, ignoring the mid range texture issues. If you don't want it like real life, go play a different game or make your own map. Arma's maps are real terrain and that's not going to change anytime soon. Arma has and always will be realistic.

Realistic terrain is one of the staples of the Arma franchise.

Yeah, that's why BF3 and 4 are doing so well. People went to play a different game. People play games to leave reality. I can't believe the island is that sparse. We want some realism, but a little fantasy thrown in as well. So there's no real industrial complex, or old mansion, etc on the real Limnos. Who cares? There's also no real Iranian invasion, and don't even get me started on the vehicles and weapons ( which are pure fantasy ).

Yeah, that's why BF3 and 4 are doing so well. People went to play a different game. People play games to leave reality. I can't believe the island is that sparse. We want some realism, but a little fantasy thrown in as well. So there's no real industrial complex, or old mansion, etc on the real Limnos. Who cares? There's also no real Iranian invasion, and don't even get me started on the vehicles and weapons ( which are pure fantasy ).

Arma is not some fantasy kiddie game. Who is this "we"? Is just you. People play arma for fun and because it's realistic. You don't like that, then why did you buy the game? Seriously, did you research the product before purchase?

The vehicles are actually realistic, the hunter is the humvees replacement. The Kajmin is the child of three specific Russian helicopters and the ghost hawk is the helicopter used in the Osama Bun laden raid. If you did your research, they are all realistic weapons and vehicles.

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 ----------

This thread belongs on the addon request thread.

So leave, if you don't like it, or wait for a Namalsk-esque map to come out.

Also the story is in the future, so they're allowed to take some liberty with it. Also, it isn't an Iranian invasion if you bothered playing the game....

Funny how he joins today and acts like he knows what people want. Lol, thinking BF4 is a better game. If you love it so much, go play it.

Lol, whatever. I guess your the self proclaimed expert on this game, huh? And for your information, no. DCS is realistic. Arma is somewhere between game and sim. Closer to game right now. And even it was "realistic", making the place more interesting is within many players interests. Just look out how they're eating up the BF4 maps. I've played many "realistic" mods like Infiltration (UT1 mod). Weapons were pretty realistic. Places were made that were realistic, but interesting. Who cares exactly where some plant is in some town, if its really abandoned or not, or even if it ever really existed? Can you imagine how boring books and movies would be if we had to make them so realistic, they were given letters of authenticity by famous historians? Lighten up, bud.

---------- Post added at 03:16 ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 ----------

Also the story is in the future, so they're allowed to take some liberty with it. Also, it isn't an Iranian invasion if you bothered playing the game....

Oh, so the sci-fi crap is A-ok. But having an abandoned castle, or old chemical factory is not? You do realize that makes no sense, don't you?

Also the story is in the future, so they're allowed to take some liberty with it

Exactly.

Pardon me Mr. Experts, but I will wait for comments from other people.

Edited by Crash

Lol, whatever. I guess your the self proclaimed expert on this game, huh? And for your information, no. DCS is realistic. Arma is somewhere between game and sim. Closer to game right now. And even it was "realistic", making the place more interesting is within many players interests. Just look out how they're eating up the BF4 maps. I've played many "realistic" mods like Infiltration (UT1 mod). Weapons were pretty realistic. Places were made that were realistic, but interesting. Who cares exactly where some plant is in some town, if its really abandoned or not, or even if it ever really existed? Can you imagine how boring books and movies would be if we had to make them so realistic, they were given letters of authenticity by famous historians? Lighten up, bud.

---------- Post added at 03:16 ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 ----------

Oh, so the sci-fi crap is A-ok. But having an abandoned castle, or old chemical factory is not? You do realize that makes no sense, don't you?

Pardon me Mr. Experts, but I will wait for comments from other people.

First off, you seem to know literally nothing about the game or are trolling for the fun of it.

There are some amazing books that are written from real events. You seem like you prefer the arcrade game so why are you here complaining arma is not like those games? Did you research before buying the game?

Lol, you make me laugh.

Says the guy who just joined today and is telling people how the game should be.

Or you are a troll, possibly made by someone else, or from the "go troll arma threads" that exist in many other games, or someone who thought it would be funny to troll Arma.

They all took place in old buildings, chemical warehouses, industrial sites, military bases, castles, even civilian (modern, not the shacks like in game ) homes. In Stratis and Altis, it feels like someone took about 5 buildings, and a few guard shacks, and just rubber stamped them everywhere. A little imagination in this game would be nice. Not just some satellite scan of a real island.

What game are you playing?

Because in both Stratis and Altis you have industrial sites, military bases and old buildings... And in Altis you also have castles, greek ruins ( between them a nice greek ancient theater ), technology places, a ww1 military cemetery... You can also find some mansions, modern buildings, solar plants, farms, airfields, hamlets, touristic zones etc.

Hop in a helicopter, and take a look around in the editor.

BTW though the islands are based in real ones, there are a lot of buildings and distributions that have been added to add more variety ( solar plants, most of the military bases, the chemical research places, etc. ).

What game are you playing?

Because in both Stratis and Altis you have industrial sites, military bases and old buildings... And in Altis you also have castles, greek ruins ( between them a nice greek ancient theater ), technology places, a ww1 military cemetery... You can also find some mansions, modern buildings, solar plants, farms, airfields, hamlets, touristic zones etc.

Hop in a helicopter, and take a look around in the editor.

BTW though the islands are based in real ones, there are a lot of buildings and distributions that have been added to add more variety ( solar plants, most of the military bases, the chemical research places, etc. ).

Yeah, I don't know, it just doesn't feel like the old FPS games. I guess I'm looking for a place I can turn into a base for a terrorist group, etc. Something that is fortified with a lot of rooms, places to snipe and defend from, etc. I guess an old castle type place (not a ruins or anything ) like we had in Arma 2. That was just basically some walls. Somewhere you could make a really good base out of, to defend from. Crysis bases are not exactly the best example, but they're probably the best know on here. Something like that. But yeah, I'll take your suggestion and explore a little more.

Yeah, I don't know, it just doesn't feel like the old FPS games. I guess I'm looking for a place I can turn into a base for a terrorist group, etc. Something that is fortified with a lot of rooms, places to snipe and defend from, etc. I guess an old castle type place (not a ruins or anything ) like we had in Arma 2. That was just basically some walls. Somewhere you could make a really good base out of, to defend from. Crysis bases are not exactly the best example, but they're probably the best know on here. Something like that. But yeah, I'll take your suggestion and explore a little more.

The castle west of Kavala is a nice place to defend. Basically only one entrance. You can place any structure you want anywhere on the map.

Crash I think I know what your getting at but you do know that Arma's maps are huge as compared to BF so while BF can focus on lots of details aka really feeling like your in a subway, Arma forgoes that for pure scale.

You can also create your own base in the editor or download presets granted they are not castle ruins although there are castle ruins on Altis.... The game still requires a bit of imagination from the player, but that's a good thing as it allows the game to cater from anything between zombie horror to large scale military warfare and everything in-between.

Crash I think I know what your getting at but you do know that Arma's maps are huge as compared to BF so while BF can focus on lots of details aka really feeling like your in a subway, Arma forgoes that for pure scale.

Yeah, but it would be interesting to take, say, the old chemical refinery for Infiltrations "Chemical Threat", or the Artic Station from "Frozen" ( don't know if any of you have ever played that mod ) or some of the old UrT maps ( like Subway ), and stick them into Arma 3. Most of these maps were pretty simple. It would give people a base they could concentrate their forces in, and would also allow for some awesome MOUT style battles. Of course, I know this would be added polys, in a rather large game, but it would make it a lot more interesting. You could spread 4 or 5 of these "interesting places" out across Altis. Kind of the best of both worlds. As for making them myself, unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of time anymore, and the editing tools are really ancient and hard to work with.

Crash in fact a lot of people have had performance issues since the islands release, thats why the devs have been erasing stuff. So it doesn't seem probable that they will add more things.

But maybe they will release a new map in a expansion or dlc.

Yeah, but it would be interesting to take, say, the old chemical refinery for Infiltrations "Chemical Threat", or the Artic Station from "Frozen" ( don't know if any of you have ever played that mod ) or some of the old UrT maps ( like Subway ), and stick them into Arma 3. Most of these maps were pretty simple. It would give people a base they could concentrate their forces in, and would also allow for some awesome MOUT style battles. Of course, I know this would be added polys, in a rather large game, but it would make it a lot more interesting. You could spread 4 or 5 of these "interesting places" out across Altis. Kind of the best of both worlds. As for making them myself, unfortunately, I just don't have that kind of time anymore, and the editing tools are really ancient and hard to work with.

I agree in that it would he hella fun to play Arma style/pace gaming in a fully fleshed out Urban type environment. I'm sure i'll get conned into buying BF4 but every time I watch those videos it's just non-stop movement with so many icons on the screen that it tends to devolve the tactical element right out of it. Arma 3 Altis does have some pretty nice locales but it will never have that dense urban/mout feel.

I'm sure i'll get conned into buying BF4 but every time I watch those videos it's just non-stop movement with so many icons on the screen that it tends to devolve the tactical element right out of it.

EXACTLY! All those icons, and people running around without a care for their lives. It would be nice to have something like this in Arma, with more serious players who actually value their characters lives, but in a spot of more "urban" environment, at least a large building or two in one of the Altis "towns". And of course, if I had it my way, I'd bring in the DCS:Ka-50 as well. Love that heli!

Crash in fact a lot of people have had performance issues since the islands release, thats why the devs have been erasing stuff. So it doesn't seem probable that they will add more things.

But maybe they will release a new map in a expansion or dlc.

We're did you get this info of them erasing stuff? And it's likely that if you want a map not based on real terrain, it will have to be modded in. And maps in future expansions will be real terrain.

---------- Post added at 06:39 ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 ----------

EXACTLY! All those icons, and people running around without a care for their lives. It would be nice to have something like this in Arma, with more serious players who actually value their characters lives, but in a spot of more "urban" environment, at least a large building or two in one of the Altis "towns". And of course, if I had it my way, I'd bring in the DCS:Ka-50 as well. Love that heli!

They are two very different games with different play styles, dev teams, audience, and direction. Battlefield hides many issues it has. They are two very different games. These days everyone wants to copy COD or BF to get on the money train. Though hopefully BI will not. At the end of the day, two very different groups of players play each game.

Crash and Pro here you have info about the Altis development. .

You'll see that though they get inspired in real locations, they don't copy them. They think about the performance and gameplay. Because again, this is a piece of entertainment.

Pro, if you want real terrain try VBS, and you'll notice widely the difference. In VBS you have real cities, with its real size and a close distribution of their streets. But then again, VBS is not for entertainment, is for training.

Crash and Pro here you have info about the Altis development. .

You'll see that though they get inspired in real locations, they don't copy them. They think about the performance and gameplay. Because again, this is a piece of entertainment.

Pro, if you want real terrain try VBS, and you'll notice widely the difference. In VBS you have real cities, with its real size and a close distribution of their streets. But then again, VBS is not for entertainment, is for training.

VBS is a very expensive sim, without a modding community or very many active players. And how would I get my freinds to buy it? It's also not like everyone can buy it or afford it.

VBS's Cherno and Takistan looked the exact same as Arma 2. Arma has a smaller dev team and engine limitations to work within, this does not mean however arma should not be realistic.

Though I question why chernarus seems to be more based on an actual location than Takistan, Stratis and Altis.

Edited by ProGamer

VBS is a very expensive sim, without a modding community or very many active players. And how would I get my freinds to buy it?

VBS's Cherno and Takistan looked the exact same as Arma 2. Arma has a smaller dev team and engine limitations to work within, this does not mean however arma should not be realistic.

There is a free limited version of VBS ( VBS2 JCOVE lite ) in the internet that was distributed by the British MoD. BTW BI simulations have also contributed in A3, check the credits ;)

Edited by MistyRonin