Sign in to follow this  
Banshee

Tier1 Silencer Fix

Since BI standard config for the silencers/suppressors dumb them down quite heavily, we have decided to do something against it since it is nowhere realistic.

tl;dr:

These Suppressors overwrite the standard BI config. Supressors do not influence bullet balistics. Therefore the rounds do exactly the same damage as without a suppressor. However the suppressor muffles the sound, making it harder for the AI to hear you. Also it reduces the muzzle flash making it harder for them to see you. This mod removes the damage penalty from BI Suppressors.

The BI default suppressors change the velocity and damage to a degree that would possibly simulate subsonic ammo. However for subsonic ammo the values are too good (aka not weak enough). And in addition to that it's unrealistic that if you put a suppressor onto your gun, all ammo magically gets subsonic. :)

Modern suppressors do not influence the bullets velocity in a negative way, nor do they require the use of subsonic ammo.

A suppressor exactly does what it's supposed to do. It suppresses the sound made by the gunshot and suppresses the muzzle flash.

However it does NOT silence the weapon such as specialized integrated full barrel silencers with subsonic ammo (e.g. MP5SD).

This mod will replace the current BI suppressors, so there is no need to change any gear- or mission-scripts.

This mod will most likley get updated with special subsonic ammo in the future.

We hope you enjoy this little mod. You can download the latest version as well as the sourcecode on Github (https://github.com/tier1ops/t1_silencer_fix/). We invite you to put up featurerequests or bugreports on the Github issue tracker. All code is avaible under the GPLv3.

Thanks to the awsome Tier1 Community for years of great games.

Thanks to Colundrum and everyone else from the Arma Model Makers Channel for answering my sometimes stupid questions.

Thanks to Github for free open source code hosting. All Mod makers should move there and host their code under a clear (maybe free) license.

Download now

Banshee

Tier1 Operations

http://tier1ops.eu

Edited by Banshee

Let me start by saying: I'm interested.

That said, I'm not exactly sure what your mod does. Does it reduce the AI's ability to locate the shooter if the shooter is shooting suppressed? If so, I'm sold. But that's not quite clear in your write up.

Right, maybe it isn't clear enough. Let me try again:

A suppressor suppresses (not silences) the shot. Also removes the muzzle flash. This is modeled into the game already. Yes, it does reduce the AI ability to locate the shooter, but that already is done by adding a normal BI suppressor. We don't change that effect on AI. It already is there.

However in BI standard config the rounds shot trough a suppressor have done much less damage than without a suppressor. That's not realistic hence we removed the negative effect with this mod.

In real life suppressors do not affect rounds in a negative way. What BI did was to "simulate" for subsonic ammo. However that's not realistic at all.

Maybe you are looking for suppressors or silencers that are really silent (like the MP5SD). These weapons also use subsonic ammo (below 330m/s). However with that kind of ammo you'll also have a huge impact on range (lower muzzle velocity for the same round/weight) and penetration power. That's why for example a silenced AWS only has an effective range of about 300m (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_Arctic_Warfare#AWS_.28Arctic_Warfare_Suppressed.29) instead of the common 800-1000m of 7.62 Nato. That'll obviously effect other subsonic ammo as well. Then suddenly a 6.5mm MX only has an effective range of 200m (guessed now). That's not really far, but is a tradeoff you'll have to make between power and noise.

The mod will be expanded by special subsonic ammo soon with the known tradeoffs.

That's better? :)

Edited by Banshee

Perhaps you mean suppressor?

Yes. I'm sorry, English is not my native language. That combined with not enough sleep might lead to spelling mistakes. :)

Does this reduce the light intensity of the muzzle flash? By this I mean the light cast on the environment around the shooter rather than the muzzle flash itself. My related ticket.

In real life suppressors do not affect rounds in a negative way. What BI did was to "simulate" for subsonic ammo. However that's not realistic at all.

This isn't actually true, they do reduce the muzzle velocity noticably due to the way they work and thus change the ballistics of the round slightly, you get slightly more bullet drop with a suppressor on than without.

This isn't actually true, they do reduce the muzzle velocity noticably due to the way they work and thus change the ballistics of the round slightly, you get slightly more bullet drop with a suppressor on than without.

most don't, unless they actually touch the bullet, and even then the sound of it going super sonic comes out the breach, along with the comparteively larger powder load of a supersonic round.

a standard suppressor dosn't affect the bullet at all, and basically acts like a glorified muzzle brake.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest
updated with signed version

This requires:

1.Client side?

2.Server side?

3.Both?..

Clientside only.

I have not included any keys since our community does resign all addons anyway. If you guys want, I'll sign them.

That's not true. That is true for old surpressors that use metal mesh or rubber inlets. However in modern suppressors the round does not touch any parts of it at all. If at all you'll see a slight increase of muzzle velocity due to increased barrel length.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Thanks mate.

Edited by Banshee

I wonder. Isn't this addon doing almost the same thing as TMR? He got realistic suppressors without damage and speed loss too.

Well, if you run it clientside only, then enemies who shoot you with a suppressor without running the mod will do reduced damage, while you will do full damage to them.

So while this would technically work clientside only, for fairness and consistency it needs to be run by everyone (including the server).

I wonder. Isn't this addon doing almost the same thing as TMR? He got realistic suppressors without damage and speed loss too.

I wasn't aware of TMR's addons. But yes, it'll most likley do the same. However I'm a fan of small modular mods rather than bigger ones that do all kinds of stuff in a combined package.

Clientside only.

I have not included any keys since our community does resign all addons anyway. If you guys want, I'll sign them.

:/

Yes please.

If this isn't causing you too much trouble..please incluse a Key.

Providing a "Key" gives flexibility to all fellow tyrant admins ;)

:/

Yes please.

If this isn't causing you too much trouble..please incluse a Key.

Providing a "Key" gives flexibility to all fellow tyrant admins ;)

Keys and signature files added.

You don't have to use all three of them, one will fit. :)

@Banshee

Really thank you for the "quick fix" but..i m somewhat concerned.

I can see you provided lots of bikeys along with bisign files..and i m sure i read before

this could be dangerous.

*Under a quick search i stumbled on this page

Either way or another..the work is done on my favor..but in 'some' next version you may want to create entirely new keys (holding the Priv. key for yourself)

Does your mod change the awful 'pop' sound of vanilla suppressed weapon with more true to life muffled sounds ?

@Banshee

Really thank you for the "quick fix" but..i m somewhat concerned.

I can see you provided lots of bikeys along with bisign files..and i m sure i read before

this could be dangerous.

*Under a quick search i stumbled on this page

Either way or another..the work is done on my favor..but in 'some' next version you may want to create entirely new keys (holding the Priv. key for yourself)

I don't see any dangerous part in this. I've published 3 public keys. These keys can't be used to sign any files but only to verify the given signatures.

However I see that providing the 2 non addon keys is not needed (beeing lazy there).

Every server admin has to check for himself what keys he wants to put on his server. He can either chose to put the tier1pub key on it. Allowing all mods signed with that key (aka the mods we run on our public server) on his server as well. Or he can only allow the mod-specific key, to only allow these mods.

Don't mistake the tier1priv key with a private key. That'd then be a .biprivatekey which is not provided in any of the source repositories, and never will. :)

The tier1 admins are the only ones who can sign addons with these keys. The keys never leave the box they've been created on.

But thanks for caring anyway. :)

Does your mod change the awful 'pop' sound of vanilla suppressed weapon with more true to life muffled sounds ?

Nope. Since I don't have good recording equipment nor the weapons and surpressors to record the "real" sounds, I didn't change it. If you have good sounds and you put them under a GPLv3 like license, I'll gladly include them if they're good.

I don't think that will be truly necessary.

(imHo) Probably the 70-80% of this community awaiting and/or using JSRS that already includes bullet cracks from silenced weapons

as is already known- the in-game ammo are conventional/non-subsonic ones but...

until "final" -upcoming- version there aren't dedicated silencer sounds.

On the other hand..the fact JSRS final is -almost- out..this can't be reason for people to stop modding sound.

Just saying..

:)

Edited by GiorgyGR

Great addon. Just went out and gave my supressors a workout with standard military ball ammo. US made M4 sound was reduced drastically(I didn't need earplugs) however the "crack" was still heard downrange. The point of impact changed slightly(Still stayed within 1MOA). It also starts to smoke on cold days a bit, which looks awesome if someone knew how to implement this into game(the more you shoot, the hotter the suppressor gets). Modern snipers practice with and without the suppressor so that a shooter knows the POI change and can adjust in combat before the shot is taken. Hope this helps!!

most don't, unless they actually touch the bullet, and even then the sound of it going super sonic comes out the breach, along with the comparteively larger powder load of a supersonic round.

a standard suppressor dosn't affect the bullet at all, and basically acts like a glorified muzzle brake.

That's not true. That is true for old surpressors that use metal mesh or rubber inlets. However in modern suppressors the round does not touch any parts of it at all. If at all you'll see a slight increase of muzzle velocity due to increased barrel length.

Why thanks, I'll be sure to tell the rounds I and 40 others fire tomorrow that they are doing the wrong thing. I'll just ignore the change because it shouldn't happen.

Why thanks, I'll be sure to tell the rounds I and 40 others fire tomorrow that they are doing the wrong thing. I'll just ignore the change because it shouldn't happen.

I do own rifle and pistol suppressors by a variety of companies including AAC, YHM, & silencerco and I have never noticed any substantial change in velocity or point of impact from a properly mounted can. By far the only perceptible difference you should see will be from different loads of ammunition, be it subsonic, standard, or "hot" loads.

I also agree that the older technology of suppressors/silencers that used "wipes" will change ballistics to some degree. (not as much after the first two or three rounds). My understanding is that the military utilized this style quite often, so that the can could be a "throw away" during combat with less of a financial burden.

My opinion based on my experiences.