Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

[SP] Chain Reaction - blow up the Solar Plant (with awesome explosives script)

I am very pleased to present to you my fourth published mission...

Chain Reaction

overview.jpg

WARNING: The video below contains spoilers.

Features

• An atmospheric and lovingly crafted mission using many sophisticated mission making techniques
  • You are inserted as an undercover black ops operative in the dead of a stormy night and your mission is to blow up the Solar Power Plant
  • Optional objective of taking out an enemy outpost
  • Fairly high degree of difficulty
  • 4 music tracks including music from Deus Ex and Frozen Synapse soundtracks and The Glitch Mob
  • Dynamic Tasking
  • Multiple save checkpoints
  • Custom Scripts (including an awesome explosives script at the Power Plant and a radio script that will tell you how far away a character is to the nearest 50m)
  • Custom Actions
  • Multiple Endings
  • A rich story and in-game dialogue between characters (text only)

Known Issues

- Alexandros can take a very long time to meet you at the Rendezvous Point. You can check how far away he is using the Radio. If his distance doesn't update for a minute or so, he may be stuck and you might need to revert. This is really a BIS pathfinding issue, it should work fine most of the time though.

Releases

v1.5 23/11/2013

- Permanent fix to the mission-breaking bugs introduced by new BIS patches.

- Added quad by the explosives. Use at your own peril.

v1.4 22/11/2013

- Fix: Mission breaking bug introduced by BIS patch

- Fix: Reinforcement script

- Added: New complexity to the extraction sequence

- Should now work on both Stable and Dev Branch, a permanent fix is incoming that should minimise the incidence of game-breaking bugs due to new versions of A3 (caused by ID indexing changing)

v1.3 13/11/2013

- Changed: Radio Script now uses the Communication menu complete with icon and popup box.

- Added: Custom radio sounds upon using radio script.

v1.26 11/11/2013

- Changed: Establishing Shot to NVG

- Added: Fail mission if you shoot Alexandros

- Tweaked: Extraction task description to clarify that you have to drive yourself.

v1.25 09/11/2013

- Added: Establishing Shot

v1.2 08/11/2013

- Overhaul: Optional objective now much more realistic, good base feel, tweaked AI skill level (one-shot headshots at night, in the rain from 200m is not cool!) and new reinforcements script

- Tweak: Hopefully fixed a rare bug where the plant was blown up by the time you get there. I can't replicate.

v1.1 05/11/2013

- Fixed a bug that some Steam users were having whereby the insertion car just drives straight to the Rendezvous point instead of the insertion point. I was unable to replicate the bug but a user experiencing the issue reports it is now fixed (please let me know otherwise).

v1.01 01/11/2013

- Updated for use on Stable branch (post release of Survive Campaign)

- Minor tweaks to save points and text.

v1.0 27/10/2013

- First public release

- My fiancee nearly killed me given how much time I spent on this, so I hope you enjoy!

Prerequisites

None, however I recommend optionally;

- a sound mod such as JSRS2.0 or SpeedOfSound. I prefer SpeedOfSound as the explosions sound amazing.

Download

- Now on Steam

- Download via Dropbox

- Armaholic mirror

Edited by sproyd

can't play the mission cause this error popup

A3_structures_F_EPA_Civ_Camping not found

using stable branch

Hmmm apologies it appears that with the campaign content on dev branch it won't talk with stable. I recommend either loading dev or waiting for campaign to launch on stable on the 31st. I'll do a stable compatibility check on the 31st and patch the mission if required.

OP updated - now playable on Stable branch! I hope you enjoy and I look forward to feedback.

500 Views and not a single piece of feedback? Come on guys! I wanted to let BIS community play this mission before I put it on Steam and also I want to hear your highly valuable suggestions. What did you like? What would you change? I'm obviously biased but I think this is a really cool, high quality mission but some more objective feedback is welcome. Surely you've all finished the campaign by now ;)

edit: okay now on Steam

Edited by sproyd

500 Views and not a single piece of feedback? Come on guys! I wanted to let BIS community play this mission before I put it on Steam and also I want to hear your highly valuable suggestions. What did you like? What would you change? I'm obviously biased but I think this is a really cool, high quality mission but some more objective feedback is welcome. Surely you've all finished the campaign by now ;)

edit: okay now on Steam

I've sent you a PM with a mission suggestion so as not to spoil the mission for others.

I've sent you a PM with a mission suggestion so as not to spoil the mission for others.

Thanks for the positive feedback and glad you enjoyed it! Also good idea on the shhhh... spoilers

OP updated with a bug fix and changes.

Some quotes from steam;

Excellent and original mission!!! I did not run into problems... I avoid though to clear the outpost! Please more!!!
Awesome! I love the custom music. The mission has incredible atmosphere, sufficient amount of action (at least for me), spectacular explosions and Snickers! Great job, thank you.
Edited by sproyd

OP updated with a tweak/bug fix and changes

I agree with some other posts...great mission, atmosphere etc. Awesome work, Hope to see more missions from you.
Edited by sproyd

Update: Added an establishing shot over the Solar Plant.

here's what people are saying on Steam

Nice mission. Long, involving and rather difficult in places. Lots of surprises and good tension. Should I sneak in? Should I take out guards silently from a distance? Should I shoot out the lights or have they got NVGs? Lots of great stuff like that really makes for an excellent level.
I have to say.. This is one of the best missions ive played so far on the workshop.. Great gameplay and not only is it fun it actually puts you in the role to somone undercover specialy how you have to change and drive over to your hold out position.. Great mission and i would love to see some more undercover missions :)

Re-posting from Armaholic:

Very good mission. Nice balance of challenge and tasks. My only issues were little niggles like task info not appearing on map when you highlight the icon, and the final task of driving to the town not showing up. (My own fault I guess, for not paying enough attention to the radio chatter.)

Thanks a lot for your work.

I would also add that the enemy AI seemed fair to me. No one-shot killing, they put up a good fight at the power plant. Using TPWs mod can cause some issues with civilian traffic potentially interfering, perhaps related, on one play through an ifrit sitting in the river at the rendezvouz point waiting to kill me. :p

Anyway, fun SP mission, thanks a lot!

Glad you enjoyed the mission Zatoichi.

I'm not too sure what you mean about the task not showing up. You should have received the task upon rendezvous, although its not auto-assigned until you complete the "Get Changed" task.

The Ifrit in the river has never happened to me on any playthrough so is very likely to be related to TPW traffic, where the IFRIT probably tried to drive through the river instead of over the bridge and got stuck. I really couldn't think of a way that you could reliably take out the IFRIT in that situation, but of course no mission is designed to handle additional mods and the myriad of potential side-effects that they incur.

Edited by sproyd

OP updated - some cool changes to the custom radio script. I think you'll like them :)

OP updated with a patch to fix a game-breaking bug caused by new BIS patch.

Hi

This looks a great mission, but unfortunately i am unable to play it due to "A3 structures f civ camping" and "A3 structures f mil scrapyard" being deleted??

is there a way for me to remedy this?

many thanks in advance for any help, im itching to play this!

Hi

This looks a great mission, but unfortunately i am unable to play it due to "A3 structures f civ camping" and "A3 structures f mil scrapyard" being deleted??

is there a way for me to remedy this?

many thanks in advance for any help, im itching to play this!

I've never seen that error - try again? also if you are playing on dev branch please don't report errors as they may be dev branch related.

Ok i have played and finished it

I like it very much and i found a very a good mission.

- Check a sintax script after you get the Keys: you have missed a ) after the condition ( distance car < 25): no gamebreak bug anyway (i was able to complete it)

What I like:

- the Music;

- the plot is nice

- the Enviroment you have created and the place you have choosen (too many dog in some areas maybe);

- The Area where mission is placed;

- The chain script -

- Long time mission (finished in 32 minutes and I never get bored - but i didn't the outpost).

- most important: it feels like a cover agent.

What I would have changed:

- Ai is deadly: drop down their skill (you are also outnumbered): they are normal soldier not special forces;

- I'll drop the number of their patrol from 3 to 2;

- I'll add a second first aid (i get injured because i had 2 car crash with the quad);

- Link better the patrol in the mission area: if you get discovered you can't see a soldier in a stance position;

- after the main target was destroyed i had to run for 1 km: maybe you could add a subside mission to grab a vehicle;

-after you get the vehicle and you have to drive i'll add a music during the travel.

-Suggestion:

About the plot: in my opinion this mission is better suited if you are a member of the resistance.

Thanks for you works and for fun !

:)

I saw in the very short intro that the targets are already blown up, and when I reach them in the mission, they are just rubble, the garrison is also dead except for two guys and the two Fenneks (at least I could make a BBQ out of those^^).

Also there is a "bad link to static object" error message that strongly advises to open in editor and save again. Don't know if that has something to do with it.

BTW, I'm playing on dev branch, dunno if that's important.

Luckily the mission could continue despite that I did not do the main objectives at all. But I probably missed out some of the "apeshit" the AAF was supposed to go (reinforcements, helicopters, units swarming the area etc.).

In the mission design I have nothing to complain about, really good. Also in contrast to the above poster I don't think the AI is too hard, after all you can take them out from a distance if you want and they'll never get to fire one shot. And walking 1 km isn't that bad, neither in real life nor in the game ;) Maybe a road block just before Panochori would be a nice extra, that searches you and lets you pass as civilian.

This is a great mission, well crafted and thoroughly fun to play. I could provide a walkthrough, but I won't spoil the fun for others. There are 2 bugs hovever, that detract from the fun a bit

- At the optional enemy base, killing each and every enemy soldier does not tick off that objective

-After a game shutdown and restart, on mission resume the tasks appear from the briefing, even ones that are added in the course of the second session.

Please note that I played this mission after the update that came with the recent APEX DLC.