Robalo

ASDG Joint Rails

There are magazineGroups in vanilla since Marskmen (or before?), but they are currently broken afaik.

Any details on how it's broken? I know 1.42 (marksmen DLC) introduced it to stable but your post is the first I heard about it being broken?

Any details on how it's broken? I know 1.42 (marksmen DLC) introduced it to stable but your post is the first I heard about it being broken?

It just never worked.

This is something I'd maintain at config level, provided I get the values handed over by someone who has done the research already. I could put provided data into CfgAmmo and CfgMagazines classes and define magazine group names (do they work already ?).

Great! I have proposed this in general terms to Spartan0536; http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173466-ArmA-III-Ballistics-Overhaul&p=2938530&viewfull=1#post2938530

This really seems to be the linchpin in getting a JAM-like setup but without having the potential complications of a JAM config. It seems that the majority of modders are using Spartan's values (aside from ACE and/or using Ruthberg's mod specifically). So as long as the everyone is okay with his values, you could have fairly universal ballistics AND "universal" magazines. Or am I over-simplifying this (more than likely)?

+1 to the idea of a ASDG joint magaizines

That would be pretty much awesome, and since it seems like mods like RHS can use, but don't require ASDG_JR, I figure it could work the same way, through some system of arrays or something right?

Also, ASDG Joint Mags could have some fancy mag icons that look nice, instead of the garbage ones a lot of mods use.

One of the huge problems these days is having to install 3000 compatibility patches, which are a mess and it just sucks, this would really be a lifesaver.

BI would have to fix magazineGroups before we can do anything. This isn't the first time the topic is discussed. Nothing came from the discussions before, and nothing will come from this one, unless BI fixes what's been broken from the start.

BI would have to fix magazineGroups before we can do anything. This isn't the first time the topic is discussed. Nothing came from the discussions before, and nothing will come from this one, unless BI fixes what's been broken from the start.

This!

I already wrote some configs until I recognized that the magazineGroups are just not working. It's a deal breaker as of now.

Nonsense, doesn't depend on magazineGroups at all. You config a full set of all of the typical magazine types (backed by a full set of ammo types - with consistent ballistic data) and addon makers reference those in their magazines arrays. Don't need magazineGroups and we could all die waiting for them.

Yeah, it would be a lot more to it than just magazineGroups.

First post updated with slot class named and expanded config examples.

Also, JR 0.16 is now available:

Changes

-----------

- added CfgPatches class asdg_jointmuzzles for backward compatibility with older mods which require this

- added muzzle_snds_H_MG and muzzle_snds_H_SW as compatible devices for the asdg_MuzzleSlot_762MG slot

Edited by Robalo

Nonsense, doesn't depend on magazineGroups at all. You config a full set of all of the typical magazine types (backed by a full set of ammo types - with consistent ballistic data) and addon makers reference those in their magazines arrays. Don't need magazineGroups and we could all die waiting for them.

Sure, not all of it is depending on the magazineGroups, it just makes things easier on the magazine side. It depends on the reception by the mod makers. And that practically killed my lkr_ammo project. Maybe with Robalo's name/ASR or ACE it's easier to establish it among addon makers. Using magazineGroups things would become WAY easier and since it's technically possible (BIS just needs to make it actually work), why would you go through the hassel of doing it withough magazineGroups? Sure, we could die waiting for them, I see your point there.

Whatever is done it's quite an amount of config work and those configs would want to be maintained. IMO it all depends on the weapon addon makers.

Maybe interesting, this was/is my shot at the problem. I just got tired of updating after sometime since no addon maker ever used it.

Edited by lukrop

Updated mod v0.16 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Robalo , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Sure, not all of it is depending on the magazineGroups, it just makes things easier on the magazine side.

My read of magazineGroups on the Biki suggests it's little more than a shorthand/macro for writing neater magazines arrays. In and of itself it doesn't in fact solve any problem that we're actually having and would contribute very little to a JAM-like solution. Sure, addon makers could just enter a single asdg_mags_stanag or whatever but all that's really saving you is a little copy and paste.

... but all that's really saving you is a little copy and paste.

Technically that single "asdg_mags_stanag" string, is the major benefit of magazineGroups. It eliminates the need for the middleman addon and it does not introduce hard dependencies that need to be resolved with compatibility pbo's.

With it, "Joint Magazines" addon could be a fully optional enhancement by mere presence, just like feature mods can selectively improve experience by reading vanilla-inert config properties that the addon maker can choose to use. The option to have a hard dependency is still there, as authors might choose to use such an addon as the only source for the mags, without bothering to define their own at all.

Either way, I believe the hard part in such a project would be coming up with and agreeing on values and variants.

Feel free to contribute config data.

Wut? Me? Well, it could happen (next time I decide I need a diversion from my crushing work schedule) but if it's ever to see the light of day I'd hope somebody with a lot more spare time might get to grips with it. But it's good that you're a 1TBSer.

Anyone, non-1tbsers are welcome too :))

What I'd recommend Robalo is just use the basic values from like Spartan0536's values (you also don't need CFGWeapons unless you plan on making your own gun) and making the classnames that suit you, and people like me can remove my data from my config and use your classnames. Then I can only make the custom stuff that I need and stick with your values, etc.

Edited by EricJ

Sigh....

class CfgMagazines
{
       class 30Rnd_556x45_Stanag;
class ASDGM4_mk318_mag: 30Rnd_556x45_Stanag
{
	ammo="asdg_B_mk318145in";
	displayNameShort="Mk318";
	displayname="M4 Mk318 30-rnd Magazine";
	initspeed=892.14679;
	lastroundstracer=5;
	scope=2;
	tracersevery=0;
	mass=8;
};
class ASDGM4_mk262_mag: 30Rnd_556x45_Stanag
{
	scope=2;
	ammo="asdg_B_mk262145in";
	displayNameShort="Mk262";
	displayname="M4 Mk262 30-rnd Magazine";
	initspeed=810.76801;
	lastroundstracer=5;
	mass=8;
};
class ASDGM4_m855a1_mag: 30Rnd_556x45_Stanag
{
	scope=2;
	ammo="asdg_B_m855a1145in";
	displayNameShort="M855A1";
	displayname="M4 M855A1 30-rnd Magazine";
	initspeed=905.25598;
	lastroundstracer=5;
	mass=8;
};
};

class CfgAmmo
{
       class B_556x45_Ball;
class asdg_B_m855a1145in: B_556x45_Ball
{
	hit=8.1145811;
	typicalSpeed=905.25598;
	airFriction=-0.0011543788;
	caliber=0.85500002;
	deflecting=21;
	visibleFire=3.0999999;
	audibleFire=6;
	model="\A3\Weapons_f\Data\bullettracer\tracer_red";
	nvgonly=0;
	tracerendtime=1;
	tracerscale=1;
	tracerstarttime=0.050000001;
	suppressionRadiusBulletClose=1;
	suppressionRadiusHit=0.5;
	dangerRadiusHit=1;
};
class asdg_B_mk318145in: B_556x45_Ball
{
	hit=9.4083204;
	typicalSpeed=892.14679;
	airFriction=-0.001243324;
	caliber=0.755;
	deflecting=18;
	visibleFire=3;
	audibleFire=5.5;
	nvgonly=0;
	tracerendtime=1;
	tracerscale=1;
	dangerRadiusHit=1;
};
class asdg_B_mk262145in: B_556x45_Ball
{
	hit=10.798901;
	typicalSpeed=810.76801;
	airFriction=-0.0011362379;
	caliber=0.61500001;
	deflecting=15;
	visibleFire=2.6500001;
	audibleFire=5;
	nvgonly=0;
	tracerendtime=1;
	tracerscale=1;
	dangerRadiusHit=1;
};
};

Yes these are the basic values from Spartan0536, should get things started.

Nice one Eric, this is a worthy initiative and hopefully should eventually make life much better for players and modders alike.

Way ahead of you, check github sources :)

Be advised I don't plan messing with AI related values inside JAM, sticking to ballistics and inheriting other things.

No worries as the AI values are set on the modes and not the ammo anyway. Yeah once you post the update (I assume it'll be with Joint Rails?, i.e. in the same PBO?) I'll move some of my weapons to that as well.