Sign in to follow this  
SFsoldier

Arma 3 compared to Arma 2

There are no made up vehicles. Only the "MX" series of guns is fictional (as far as I'm aware). You only think they're made up. Do some research next time, and give credit to Bis, it's ridiculous how much detail they've put into this game thus far. In case you didn't know, the islands are ALSO from real life (BOTH altis and stratis are based on their real life counterparts)

1) They were abandoned (the AH-99 Blackfoot, abandoned in the late 1990's)

2) They're a prototype (For example the "Ansyr" M-RAP)

3) They haven't been in production long enough for you to know they're real (For example the "Crusher" UGV)

Source : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132745-Is-Arma-3-authentic

Whike its true that most vehicles are real/prototypes some vehicles are made up by BI(nothing bad about that).

The UH 80 ghosthawk, even if its based on the blackhawk its still a made up version(or atleast unknown version).

The Mi 48 Kajman is made up even if it uses real technology.

The speed boat is made up(but still very plausible).

And those are the made up vehicles I can think of now.

As a military analyst and expert on military hardware I can tell you some of the hardware is not actually real. Some of it is based on current projects or projected developments which may never enter military service. Nothing wrong with that, it's futuristic. It possibly takes away from some of the realism of Arma 1 and 2 but it is interesting.

The Boeing RAH-66 Comanche project was cancelled in 2004 not the late 1990's. What is the AH-99 Blackfoot? Never heard of it.

http://www.boeing.com/boeing/history/boeing/comanche.page

http://www.globalsecurity.org/

I don't use BIS for info on real military hardware. As for the Russian helicopter in the game which is a cross between an Mi-24 Hind, an Mi-28 Havoc and a Ka-52 pretty sure that doesn't exist. Click on the link for it on the BIS page you link to and it has a BIS logo and a humorous picture. Maybe it is you who should do some research. So there are no made up vehicles? I disagree. Most of them I think look pretty good but no doubt there are a few suspect inclusions.

It's public "knowledge" (in the form of a photo of a unique-seeming tailrotor section) that there was a seemingly special helicopter used in the raid on bin Laden's residence at Abbottabad, with Zero Dark Thirty being probably the most 'mainstream available' depiction of such a helicopter, and the Ghosthawk is seemingly inspired by similar such renderings (since the actual design is NOT publicly available). As for the AH-99 Blackfoot... bluntly speaking, out-of-universe it's just a renamed Comanche just like most if not all of the depicted hardware in having a fictional name, and in-universe it seems that it was never cancelled in the Arma timeline.

(Interestingly enough, at last check the Field Manual tends to describe a bunch of the renamed hardware as successors to their real-life counterparts.)

You are correct Chortles. There is a version of the UH-60 Blackhawk with some stealth technology but it is highly classified.

It's called not using real names for the sake of not needing permission to use real names. AH-99 Blackfoot was called the Comanche before BIS went the way of fictional names for their stuff.

It's called not using real names for the sake of not needing permission to use real names. AH-99 Blackfoot was called the Comanche before BIS went the way of fictional names for their stuff.

We need the ability to script the correct names back ine.

Ha, thats the last thing I "need". Although I think it is already possible to replace names of vehicles and weapons no? But for me personally, I could care less about realistic naming or perfect modeling - I can understand how it adds to immersion but, well not that muuch for me. Maybe I am the odd one out.

My 2 cents after 40 hours in Arma3 and thousands of hours in Arma1 and OpFlash... I've missed 2 completely... (my account here also vanished I think)

It's good, but AI is not that much better overall, wounding and shots that hit don't do correct damage.

The weapon sway is slightly annoying, but when you hold still, and use proper scopes it works out. I was bitching

the other day I spent an insane amount of 762 to snipe someone. Untill I realised I had the SOS fully zoomed and

the dude I was shooting was 1000mtr away. Which is crazy far if you think about it.

But for these topics there always has been one answer!

That's what the modders are for! What is not good, will be changed sooner or later by modders.

THE :yay::yay::yay: of this game series!

Is the difference between Blackfoot and Comanche really that big for you when they're already pretty much the same?

I was raging a lot about ARMA 3 but now iam trying to look at it from a more optimistic perspective.

Arma 3 has its good sides, it is new, it has undervater, it has some goodlooking graphix, you can switch scopes, and it s new,and well i dont know.

Arma 2 has lot of content like OA,BAF,ACR,PMC, lot of weapons, wehicles, tons of great mods, Most importantly Arma 2 has ACE mod.

Arma 3 doesnt even have a campaign.

Well fortunatelly BI have a devoted modding comunity that will save theyr asses eventually. I myself bought Arma 3 when it was still alpha, not because i would expect BI to make a good game, but because i know that modding comunity will make this game more than great.

Why does everyone think that their first impressions or opinion are worthy enough to make a new thread?

Arma 2 has lot of content like OA,BAF,ACR,PMC, lot of weapons, wehicles, tons of great mods, Most importantly Arma 2 has ACE mod.

Arma 3 doesnt even have a campaign.

Well fortunatelly BI have a devoted modding comunity that will save theyr asses eventually. I myself bought Arma 3 when it was still alpha, not because i would expect BI to make a good game, but because i know that modding comunity will make this game more than great.

Remember that lot of the content in Arma 2 was directly taken from game 2(an unreleased game) so A2 litterally have content from two games(maybe even from Arma 1 as well). And yeah Arma 2 got more expansions and DLC because its been out for several years(the same goes for mods), it almost sounds like you want Arma 3 to have day one DLC.

About Arma 3 not having a campaign Wait until tomorrow, then Arma 3 will have a campaign(the first part only but still a campaign)

Unlike most other companies BI support their games for years after release so Arma 3 will have more content and more of everything(not counting mods).

Man iam being optimistic here!

Is the difference between Blackfoot and Comanche really that big for you when they're already pretty much the same?

The ability to script a name change would be better than having an addon.

Man iam being optimistic here!

You are definitly right that the community will make the game more than great(but hopefully BI will set the vanilla standard high). :D

Amongst other things, in Arma 2 runway lights actually show up properly from a distance and don't flicker really badly/go invisible once you're a few hundred meters away. I seriously hope they fix this soon, they keep modifying the lights at the airbase but runway lights are still useless in the dark.

if you get shoot in the legs in Arma 2 you cant walk anymore, in Arma 3 nothings happen, you just die....

More like in ArmA3 no matter in which diversity of places you get shot you don't care which gives you an opportunity to feel yourself like an authentic Elite Tier 1 Operator

if you get shoot in the legs in Arma 2 you cant walk anymore, in Arma 3 nothings happen, you just die....

Most of the times I die but I have been so wounded that I couldnt move fast(only walk, which is more realistic than a forced crawl(unless it was from a hmg or similar, then you would either be dead or dying))

I just got shot in the leg in the campaign just now, and I cant walk... pretty nice... better than force crawl. Would be better if there's a limping animation just like in Original Ghost Recon.

Most of the times I die but I have been so wounded that I couldnt move fast(only walk, which is more realistic than a forced crawl(unless it was from a hmg or similar, then you would either be dead or dying))

Click middle mouse button to health regen dude.

Click middle mouse button to health regen dude.

Doesnt work if Im out(and try to catch the medic who runs around like an idiot). :p