Sign in to follow this  
SFsoldier

Arma 3 compared to Arma 2

Don't get me wrong I don't hate Arma 3 at all, even at this early stage it's still quite good. If they can put in some realistic wound and blood effects that would be enough for me but I'm not holding my breath. As for my comments about the graphics being a little plain look at Arma 2 and turn off post process effects, this is how Arma 3 looks albeit with more detail, now turn on post process effects and observe the difference it makes. Arma 3 lacks these effects and would look great with them.

Some of you seem to defend Arma 3 like you work for BIS or something surely there must be some aspects of the game you can be critical of. Nothing is perfect. On the plus side for Arma 3 the maps are great and huge the graphics very detailed and nice sound effects. Now if you disagree with someone's comments or opinion saying they are on drugs or other such pointless comments just shows your own inability to express your view in an intelligent way.

My friend the "drugs" comment is a joke that most people on the Internet would understand...

Anyways, I saw some missions already using post processing, but I love how Altis looks without it. SERIOUSLY, A2 looked bland as heck, even if it isn't 100% realistic it's nice to see a game with ACTUAL COLORS! But I also kind of dig the pre alpha screenshot style post processing of the Ground Attack II mission. Kind of what you're talking about?

I've been on a few internet forums I'm new here but don't let that fool you. Agree about the colours A3 has more. Yes I agree A2 can look bland and drab sometimes. Did I say I wanted a 'fantastic' crosshair? No. One you can actually aim something at would be nice. A1's blood was like pasta sauce? Yeah right. Much better than A3. Go back to A1 and look at the pain skins, they are awesome. Some of the best I've seen.

As far as assets go, it seems like there's a ton of people that forget that Arma II had 2 games worth of content dumped into it due to an unreleased title.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 AM ----------

Some of you seem to defend Arma 3 like you work for BIS or something surely there must be some aspects of the game you can be critical of.

You need to realize that the fair and objective people on this forum that truly enjoy this game have seen this very same thread with a different poster throw up hundreds of times already, all shouting about the same things.

It's not that we defend A3 like we're BIS employed, but instead we see the same incessant whining over and over again and it leads to abrasive attitudes and firm rebuttals. If you can't handle that, don't whine on the internet.

Or better yet, use the search tool and add your opinions to one of the other hundreds of threads that have already discussed the same things.

Apologies if this has already been covered I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Guess I should've looked harder. Well I've already started the thread so it's a bit late now. Incessant whinning lol. There must be some area of the game you are critical of. As I said that is just a first impression the more I look at Arma 3 the more I like it and the more amazing it seems.

If you hold your breath the scope wobble is much improved, no big problem.

The small part of Stratis I looked at has fairly plain graphics. Now that I've looked at more of the game and Altis the graphics seem really good in parts.

As for the blood and pain skins there are a few characters which have none but most of them are OK. I'd still like to see more head wounds though. A1 and some characters in A2 have really good head wounds. I've got A3 on about the same detail level as A2, high detail with 900m view. Not far I know but it's OK for infantry combat. A3 seems slightly more fluid and smoother than A2 which is great. Top marks for that. Had to download 3.3GB of data when I bought the game on DVD with no campaign not too impressed with that. BIS couldv'e done a bit better but still a good game overall.

6. They're allowed to do that. Besides, it's all based off of current tech, save maybe the Kajman.

The Mi-48 is a bastard child of Mi-24 and Mi-28 with Kamov's coaxial rotor system, so yeah, still current tech :)

Arma3 is far better than arma2 in my opinion:

better graphic

better islands

No Hdr problem (point your weapon toward the ground in arma 2 and then let's talk again)

Better movements

There is a lack of units in arma3: Arma2 was 2 step forward about this.

Let's hope Bis will work about this problem...

Apologies if this has already been covered I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Guess I should've looked harder. Well I've already started the thread so it's a bit late now. Incessant whinning lol. There must be some area of the game you are critical of.

As for the blood and pain skins there are a few characters which have none but most of them are OK. I'd still like to see more head wounds though.

Keep in mind I don't mean to be offensive to you. (Or at least... just you. :p ) When I say incessant whining, I'm generalizing you with a group of lots of other people who have joined in the last couple months that have post counts filled with nothing but complaining. I'm not saying you do, just saying that your OP fits that profile. Specially considering how misguided some of your points were. And you're absolutely right. There are areas of the game that I think could be better. But on a forum that potentially has hundreds of thousands of visitors, I know that posting in designated threads that have already been started on my topic is much more productive than assuming as an unknown critic that my opinion on a few features is important enough to warrant it's own thread.

As for the wounding, one thing I noticed that A3 does much much better is blood trails. Hit a guy and watch him run off to cover, and you can follow where he went.

Just your own looking back on Arma 2's own release and seeing that it too had a bunch of complaining early on and that the game itself differed noticeably from what it became later (with the real possibility that some people's Arma 2 nostalgia is for what it became years later and NOT its release state)...

Wish newer players saw it that way. They think the game shouldn't be realistic anymore and want things balanced like an e-sport. Then they fight against making things realistic. The majority of players who have been with Arma since 1 and 2, want things to be realistic and are off waiting for the game to become more polished and realistic.

Wow, I'm amazed at the amount of hate that three gets.

Compared to two, in my eyes

Weapon sounds are much better

Ground vehicles have ACTUAL physics now. Arma2's vehicles were awful.

An inventory system that does not induce rage.

Modular weapon attachments.

Movement is so, so much smoother. I don't feel like the unit I'm playing is a poorly-oiled robot anymore.

Guns no longer look silly from first person, with the left hand wrapped around the barrel.

To address someone else... there's no "magic heal yourself" button. You can apply a first aid kit to take yourself up to stable, but still injured, condition. You still need a medic to bring you back to full health.

To the claims that Arma 2 looked better... really? I do not get this at all. The lighting effects are stellar. I've seen the setting sun filtering through the blades and windows of the Kajman, casting god rays on the ground.

I also don't quite get the fascination with blood and wounds. People don't explode in a red mist when you poke a hole in them.*

Realism in gameplay is one thing, and I get that, but I guess I don't get the more role-playing aspects.

*I have never shot a person, so what do I know?

Wish newer players saw it that way. They think the game shouldn't be realistic anymore and want things balanced like an e-sport. Then they fight against making things realistic. The majority of players who have been with Arma since 1 and 2, want things to be realistic and are off waiting for the game to become more polished and realistic.
... which completely had nothing to do with what I said; if anything what I saw was people complaining about unrealism and what I'd thought you'd seen was how long it took for Arma 2 to get to the state that people remember(ed).

... which completely had nothing to do with what I said; if anything what I saw was people complaining about unrealism and what I'd thought you'd seen was how long it took for Arma 2 to get to the state that people remember(ed).

Ya, kinda just long sanding rants I have. But I have noticed unlike Arma 2 post release, not all but a vocal few newer players think things are the way they are because arma shouldn't be realistic anymore.

Specially considering how misguided some of your points were. And you're absolutely right. There are areas of the game that I think could be better. But on a forum that potentially has hundreds of thousands of visitors, I know that posting in designated threads that have already been started on my topic is much more productive than assuming as an unknown critic that my opinion on a few features is important enough to warrant it's own thread.

As for the wounding, one thing I noticed that A3 does much much better is blood trails. Hit a guy and watch him run off to cover, and you can follow where he went.

No they are not misguided. They are the opinions of a Flashpoint, Arma 1 and Arma 2 player. You just disagree so you label others opinions with derogatory terms. I could do the same to you but I respect others opinions. This is the internet anyone can make a thread about whatever they want. Arma 2 is one of my favourite games of all time. Arma 3 is good but different. Not sure I like it as much as I like Arma 2 though, that is an opinion. It's subjective.

Real combat is gruesome much more so than what's represented in Arma 3. Watch the start of Saving Private Ryan. I'd just like a bit more realism. I think representing modern combat in a sanitized way deceives people into underestimating just how gruesome real combat is. So you want a realistic combat game where you go around killing the enemy but you don't want realistic effects of modern weapons? The last comment is aimed at anyone who has a problem with realistic wound effects. Why have a PG rated little kids version of combat? I think it would be awesome and kiddies can always turn it off in options if they don't like the site of blood. This is a modern warfare combat game not a train simulator.

This is the internet anyone can make a thread about whatever they want.

WRONG: this are BI Forums, and have rules. Among them:

§7) Search before posting

If you have a question, please use the forum search function before posting to make sure that it hasn't been answered before. There is a big chance it has, not only does searching help to keep the forum free of multiple threads it will also help you to get an answer much quicker.

§8) Post in the right forum & right thread

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator. If a thread exists for the topic you wish to post about you must use it, for example all ACE questions belong in the ACE thread. All addon/mod questions belong in the thread for that addon/mod. In the case of DayZ discussions they should be posted on the DayZ forums, this includes problems with the Modification. The troubleshooting forum is not for problems with Addons and Mods!

I'll rephrase that slightly. Anyone can make a thread about whatever they want on BIS forums as long as it follows the rules. Happy? By the way I think you mean this is BI forums.

Now I need a new video card I think I might get a GTX 760 should be good for Arma 3.

I'll rephrase that slightly. Anyone can make a thread about whatever they want on BIS forums as long as it follows the rules.

This thread that you created talks about topics that have been discussed in other threads, so according to the rules you should had used that ones.

BTW I meant these forums, because its plural, but thanks for pointing it.

As I said I did a search and couldn't find much at all. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough. A bit late now. This thread hasn't been deleted and I have received no warnings or infractions so I'm assuming that it is in fact within the rules despite your obvious annoyance at it's existence. By the way I think you mean should have used that one not should had used that ones. Maybe you should learn english a bit better if you're going to go around acting like the internet police.

By the way I think you mean should have used that one not should had used that ones. Maybe you should learn english a bit better if you're going to go around acting like the internet police.

First no one is trying to act like the Internet police. As you are a new member in this community I inform you about the forums rules. I think that is more kind than just report you directly.

As other users have told you, this last months that topics have been talked to exhaustion, so yeah, is indeed quite annoying if people keep creating new threads repeating the same a thousand times. That's why the forum rules point to keep one topic to one thread.

On the other hand, if that little orthographic mistakes are the only faults my English have, I'm really happy with it ( I speak 6 languages, so I make a lot of mistakes, and got confusions even in my own mother tongue ).

Edited by MistyRonin

You are acting like the internet police and if you don't like the thread don't bother reading it or commenting on it. Yes thanks for informing me again of your views. Point taken.

My point of view

Pros:

+Lighting looks much better

+Buildings aren't as glitchy (still have some issues though)

+Aiming down sights and walking doesn't make your gun move like you have Parkinson's like it did in Arma 2

+Overall feel is better

In between:

Mission editor is improved, but a 3D one like promised would be nice

No underground structures previously mentioned, would be a nice addition

Cons:

-Empty buildings

-Glitchy terrain textures that warp when you walk and look at them

-Shoreline water textures look cut and pasted on instead of actual water

-AI is inconsistent; they are retarded but have pinpoint accuracy

-Can't move while switching weapons

-Incredibly loud/unrealistic breathing

-Doesn't feel as authentic as Arma 2 with injuries

-Less content than Arma 2

-Performance issues in multiplayer due to outdated net architecture

Try shooting a gun with caseless bullets in Arma3, then some "classic" guns in Arma2. To me the lack of cases somehow breaks immersion.

Only if the case falls on a hard surface, like concrete. If it falls on grass or dirt you probably won't hear it. Not in real life anyway.

6 Some of the vehicles and aircraft are made up.

There are no made up vehicles. Only the "MX" series of guns is fictional (as far as I'm aware). You only think they're made up. Do some research next time, and give credit to Bis, it's ridiculous how much detail they've put into this game thus far. In case you didn't know, the islands are ALSO from real life (BOTH altis and stratis are based on their real life counterparts)

1) They were abandoned (the AH-99 Blackfoot, abandoned in the late 1990's)

2) They're a prototype (For example the "Ansyr" M-RAP)

3) They haven't been in production long enough for you to know they're real (For example the "Crusher" UGV)

Source : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132745-Is-Arma-3-authentic

Its amazing how things turn to hate so quickly on the internet...

"-Can't move while switching weapons"

This is my major gripe. I'm not a 'seasoned' Arma player, so I guess I haven't been "spoiled" like some of you guys, but I'm loving the game as it is, and it will only get better :)