Sign in to follow this  
$able

Regular Expression (Regex) Support for BE Filters

Starting with BE Server v1.178, BE filters are parsed as regular expressions and hence server admins can now implement more complex and flexible search/filter rules.

That also means that regex metacharacters ({}[]()^$.|*+? and \) now have to be escaped using '\' if they should be used as literals.

See the following examples:

1 "SomeVariable[1|2] = [0-9]+"

5 "if \(whatever\) then \{ player setPos \[0,1,2\]; \};"

Note that currently the regex syntax can only be used for the server-side BE filters, support for scripts.txt will be added shortly.

Excellent improvement :yay:

stickied for time being ...

Well this is helpful not tutorial on it. Like only the expert coders in arma 2 can figure this crap out. You guys need to expain how this works. On my Island Life server i have hackers droping Nukes and blowing crap up. Thanks battleye why dont you just keep it the same or give us a tutorial to work from.

Starting with BE Server v1.178, BE filters are parsed as regular expressions and hence server admins can now implement more complex and flexible search/filter rules.

That also means that regex metacharacters ({}[]()^$.|*+? and \) now have to be escaped using '\' if they should be used as literals.

OK, REGEX are perfect.

BUT Why not implement back compatibility? BE Filters just stopped working :(

It will take terrible ammount of time to convert them to REGEX format :(

OK, i wrote php script to convert them fast.

Questions:

1. Will this:

1 Melee !=MeleeBaseball

or this:

5 !"PVDZ_" !axeLampObjects

still work as before, if i just escape regex metacharacters in my old filters?

2. Are // comments still working?

Edited by Mr.Weegley

OK, REGEX are perfect.

BUT Why not implement back compatibility? BE Filters just stopped working :(

It will take terrible ammount of time to convert them to REGEX format :(

OK, i wrote php script to convert them fast.

Questions:

1. Will this:

1 Melee !=MeleeBaseball

or this:

5 !"PVDZ_" !axeLampObjects

still work as before, if i just escape regex metacharacters in my old filters?

2. Are // comments still working?

Agreed this is really shoddy to implement something that stops the majority of everyones filters from even being loaded, without providing any backwards compatibility or a tool to convert existing filters.

If you get a working php script for conversion I would very much appreciate access to it as I'm sure would many others.

Yeah, do you think you could elaborate more on this. What are we supposed to do with the old filters, explain it as if I'm simple.

Higher priority on teaching server admins how to implement the filters they want, is needed.

No idea what 'regex' is, and of course the existing filters have stopped working.

BE filters for computer science grads only?

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

from dayzmod forum

this was long time delayed action,

technically A2:OA BatlEye is now catching up with Arma 3 featureset

these who were behind DayZ mod filters knew about it from me for months

anyway, you need to understand that for BE author it's unfeasible to work on 3 or more different branches of code ...

the old BE filter system was terribly inferior to what can be done with full Regex (Regular Expression) implementation ..

in relation to new enhanced BE documentation that's still WIP

these who asked me on Skype, will get answers from me what/how to do for new BE filters (using those fine in our A3 servers)

(my skype is findable on the BIForums btw.)

but don't expect me rewrite whole DayZ mod (or each different modification of it) ...

there is reason why i after more than 1 year ceased to write the BE filters for DayZ mod

and let Facoptere (or others from dayz mod devs to take care off it)

i need focus on the things to come in future and not just the past ...

Edited by Dwarden

from dayzmod forum

Terrible response doesn't matter how long coming it was the average admin had no clue about this until it was forced and now almost all dayzmod filters are not working.

If its so simple to convert them why isn't there a simple tool available for us to do it? Better yet why doesn't battleye do it automatically? Breaking everyones filters is stupid I bet months from now there are still servers with no working filters because of this update. I'm sure regex is great and far superior but that doesn't matter when two days on there's still no dayzmod filters for it https://github.com/DayZMod/Battleye-Filters

The new method mirrors the Linux Terminal method. I would not be surprised if BIS was looking to port the entire game to Linux what with Steam OS out and openGL support getting much better. I do hope they support Mantle sometime soon.

i suggest to read this http://www.regexlab.com/en/deelx/syntax.htm

so far only issue is you can't use {number} for repeated values but you may use instead {from,to} for repeats

so e.g. [a-z]{1,10}

Edited by Dwarden

If you get a working php script for conversion I would very much appreciate access to it as I'm sure would many others.

yeah, sure! You can use it here. You just upload your <filtername>.txt and get new version ready for use.

But it was made during several minutes, so after using this script make sure to check your filter files VERY CAREFULY

Edited by Mr.Weegley

brb spending 50+ hours (close to month of free time for arma stuff) learning regex just so i can get old filters back

Wrong, all you need to do is "escape" the metacharacters and put "//new" into the first line.

yeah, sure! You can use it here. You just upload your <filtername>.txt and get new version ready for use.

But it was made during several minutes, so after using this script make sure to check your filter files VERY CAREFULY

Thanks for this nice tool!

please someone help. I am complete LOST on how to fix this....

no one can join my server anymore, can I use the old battle eye?

where are the new filters for battle eye for dayz? are there?

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Wrong, all you need to do is "escape" the metacharacters and put "//new" into the first line.

Thanks for this nice tool!

what do you mean "escape" the matacharacters? putting //new into the first line kicks everyone

because first you need convert the filters into new format supporting RegularExpessions ...

Agreed this is really shoddy to implement something that stops the majority of everyones filters from even being loaded, without providing any backwards compatibility or a tool to convert existing filters.

I could hire a 13 year old kid to yell "Hax0rz" at everyone who entered my server and have better accuracy than Battle eye.. Yet , here we are again, in Arma 3, still using this junk...

I could hire a 13 year old kid to yell "Hax0rz" at everyone who entered my server and have better accuracy than Battle eye.. Yet , here we are again, in Arma 3, still using this junk...

instead of ranting here on the forum. why dont you take the time and learn how to make filters.

if thats too hard for you, you could try asking the people who make the mods your running if they could provide new filters for their content. or ask the mission maker(s) who make the missions you run.

verb: rant; 3rd person present: rants; past tense: ranted; past participle: ranted; gerund or present participle: ranting

1. To speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

080.jpg

ranting

To vent your frustration; either loudly or through the Internet.

dont be mad bro. stop wasting your time here on the forum with pointless posts. better to use the time constructive and learn the new filters

Edited by nuxil