Sign in to follow this  
Robertqx

Firing Mode Reset Glitch

So (I'm assuming this happens to everyone), when you enter or exit a vehicle (helicopter, transport to truck, quadbike, etc.), your firing mode automatically resets to semi-automatic (single bullet) regardless of where you've set it prior to this. I believe the sniper scope does the same thing in terms of range.

This is problematic because you can be driving around in the quadbike and then happen upon an enemy, and eject quickly only to be stuck with semi-automatic mode while they are unloading on you at full auto. It is also annoying because if you forget to switch it each time you get in and out of a vehicle, you may be stuck in semi-auto mode when you think you're in full auto. Any way to get this to the attention of BIS (or will posting here do so)?

The Zafir is the worst at this. It barely even needs a semi auto mode. Atleast I'd prefer no semi mode than getting reset to it all the time.

The Zafir is the worst at this. It barely even needs a semi auto mode. Atleast I'd prefer no semi mode than getting reset to it all the time.

I agree. Semi-automatic on a machinegun, whats the point?

And please save those variables until we die. Then you can reset scope range/firing mode/grenade mode etc.

Aye. Very annoying with the scopes reseting range also. Try doing some urban combat with and SOS scope. Selected range/mode should stick till death.

It also happens even when you just change weapons, like from rifle to pistol to rifle. The firing mode is always reset back to semi-auto... this isn't realistic and it is surely a glitch / oversight.

Use the feedback tracker for bugs: http://feedback.arma3.com/

We do not need a new forums post for every bug.

People are free to post issues on the forums aswell. Alot may not even realize the FT exists. At that, it helps promote those persons to visit the FT. I personally visit the froums here for new issues and then I hit the FT.

People are free to post issues on the forums aswell. Alot may not even realize the FT exists. At that, it helps promote those persons to visit the FT.

It's good to encourage the use of the FT. Though bugs do not always require a new thread, you can post them in the development branch threads and other threads as well.

I actually hadnt noticed this bug, Im gonna test that later on today, thanks for writing this up! :)

I can't even login to that site. I tried with my username and password from here and it didn't work, and then I made a new account, confirmed it through email, and it still doesn't work.

I can't even login to that site. I tried with my username and password from here and it didn't work, and then I made a new account, confirmed it through email, and it still doesn't work.

Nope me neither so I gave up. The FB at this stage is nothing more than a wish list unless game breaking bug appears.

Anyhow, this bug is in arma games since what..Arma 1? just as the one that still turns the engine on while pressing brakes or a turret :rolleyes:

just as the one that still turns the engine on while pressing brakes or a turret :rolleyes:

...Turret I can understand as they are usually hydraulically powered.

The reason this feature has been present in all the games since the original OFP is that this isn't a bug.

It's all in the safety / fire-selector. The sequence for most contemporary safety / fire-selectors is "Safe --> Semi --> Burst / Auto," and one of the things your in-game avatar does when switching weapons is engage and disengage the safety. When you disengage the safety, it flips it to the first stop on the dial, thus automatically placing your weapon in Semi.

With AK's in previous installments of ArmA, the fire selector defaulted to "Auto" because the AK safety / fire-selector goes "Safe --> Auto --> Semi." Since we don't have an AK in A3 (;_;), you don't get to see that dynamic, but it's there.

~ Ferrard

The reason this feature has been present in all the games since the original OFP is that this isn't a bug.

It's all in the safety / fire-selector. The sequence for most contemporary safety / fire-selectors is "Safe --> Semi --> Burst / Auto," and one of the things your in-game avatar does when switching weapons is engage and disengage the safety. When you disengage the safety, it flips it to the first stop on the dial, thus automatically placing your weapon in Semi.

With AK's in previous installments of ArmA, the fire selector defaulted to "Auto" because the AK safety / fire-selector goes "Safe --> Auto --> Semi." Since we don't have an AK in A3 (;_;), you don't get to see that dynamic, but it's there.

~ Ferrard

"First shalt thou turn the Holy safety. Then shalt thou count to one, no more, no less. One shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be one... "

The marketing department wants you! :j:

Ah yes, the game should be telepathic and automatically know what firing mode I want to use. After all, I know what I want, so the computer should too! Alternatively, every avatar in the game should be tracking which firing mode they last used with every specific weapon on the map, and when I pick up the gun I dropped at the beginning of that hour-long firefight, the gun should remember which selector to flip to when the safety is taken off. In fact, every gun on the map should know which selector I want to use, except when I don't.

Or we can just default it to the first selection on the fire selector when your character takes off the safety, and I can hit one key one time and have my weapon exactly the way I want it.

One of these is a far more efficient use of coding time than the other :j:

~ Ferrard

How does saving a player chosen variable and not reverting it count as telepathy? Quite the opposite.

And yes, the game should retain the firing mode and scope settings on a dropped rife just like the ammo count, attachments, inventory items and a million other things. It's not rocket science nor demanding.

How does saving a player chosen variable and not reverting it count as telepathy? Quite the opposite.

And yes, the game should retain the firing mode and scope settings on a dropped rife just like the ammo count, attachments, inventory items and a million other things. It's not rocket science nor demanding.

Yea it IMO should, I imagine making it client side shouldn't pose any issues? Either way I'd rather full auto and manually switch to semi than the other way around but each to their own I guess

The biggest issue with this though is if the gunner change position in vehicle for whatever reason ( like open hatch) it also resets to default like sabot where I'd want heat ready.

Edited by Bee8190

~ Ferrard

This^

~ Ferrard

That makes sense, BUT:

Why wouldn't your soldier / avatar upon exiting a vehicle, switch the fire selector back to where he wanted it to be (as in, back to where it was set prior to entering the vehicle). That to me makes as much sense, if not more than having the avatar automatically switch it to semi-automatic regardless of the previous setting.

Also, that still doesn't explain why the scope resets the range every time you enter and exit a vehicle, which is almost certainly a bug / oversight.

That makes sense, BUT:

Why wouldn't your soldier / avatar upon exiting a vehicle, switch the fire selector back to where he wanted it to be (as in, back to where it was set prior to entering the vehicle). That to me makes as much sense, if not more than having the avatar automatically switch it to semi-automatic regardless of the previous setting.

Also, that still doesn't explain why the scope resets the range every time you enter and exit a vehicle, which is almost certainly a bug / oversight.

The character hits the safety before going into the vehicle. Scope range would be an issue though.

Did you even read what I wrote?

He hits the safety before going into the vehicle. Then he exits the vehicle, and selects a firing mode. Every time he selects a firing mode, he chooses semi-automatic, regardless of what the setting was prior to entering the vehicle.

That to me is a glitch. There is no logical reason for the character to select semi-auto over another firing mode upon exiting the vehicle. The choice that makes the MOST sense is the setting that was set prior to entering the vehicle.

So if the setting was fully automatic prior to entering the vehicle, the avatar should pick that setting again upon exiting the vehicle. Nothing else makes more sense unless someone can cite something that says real soldiers always select semi-auto after exiting a vehicle.

Yep, died because of this once. Was supposed to be on full auto, aimed low so the weapon would kick up into the target, and fired one single shot. Ouch. Guess its like reality, you've got to constantly check your weapon settings.

At they very least, I think the default fire mods for the machine guns should be fully automatic.