Sign in to follow this  
Kydoimos

Lip Movement

Hi all - was interested in knowing how the lip movement was done in the Arma3 campaign; so, a few questions. First, is it working yet? Second, how does it work? I've seen the .lip files and opened them with notepad. I can get the general idea, I think. How did they work in Arma2? At present, I'm using setrandomlip true; but obviously, it's not perfect and the lips are moving far too fast!

There is a tool named wave2lip in the sdk 2.5 delivered by BIS. Make some research about it. It is quite simple to use. You pass your .wav to it, and it will generate the .lip file. When you will use the command "say"

example:

mysoldier say "TimeToExtract"

where TimeToExtract is define as a sound in your Description.ext ... if there is a .lip file named the same way as your wave sound ... the unit will move its lip.

I just did an overview. Do a search on wave2lip ...you will figure it out.

Ah, sounds good Frag! And is that a confirmation that it's working in Arma3 now? Beautiful!

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

I've done a google search on Wave2lip but didn't find much! If you or anybody else knows any informative links, I'd be grateful. Thanks again for the response - after playing the campaign on the Dev branch I realised how good the lip synching can look.

Hey guys - got it working - looks friggin' amazing! :) Thanks so much! Very happy indeed!

For some reason I have never been able to get this to work. I've used a ton of custom sounds but any that I generate a .lip for, it never works. Is there a special line you have to put in the description?

For some reason I have never been able to get this to work. I've used a ton of custom sounds but any that I generate a .lip for, it never works. Is there a special line you have to put in the description?

No just make sure to use the "Say" command. If your sound is playing, then you just need to set the .lip file with the same name.

Example:

HelloGuys.ogg

HelloGuys.lip

Is your sound playing correctly when you use the Say command?

Edited by frag

Yes. Everything plays fine ingame, the sounds are all 16bit mono 44100hz .ogg files.

Yes. Everything plays fine ingame, the sounds are all 16bit mono 44100hz .ogg files.

If the sound play well then you are really close to success. Attach a small sample mission to this thread and I will check it out for you.

Thanks for your help frag. Here's the sample.

http://speedy.sh/mY5aN/nomodtest.Stratis.rar

EDIT** I just realized that I had left the say command both in the guys init and in the waypoint onact. That's just from testing and I forgot to delete it from his init before I saved and uploaded. Trust me, I have not been trying to run it like that. My bad lol.

Edited by Banky

Has anyone uploaded a user mission that uses .lip files successfully that I could look at? Sorry to double post but, but it's driving me crazy that I can't get this to work. Thanks. :)

Hi banky, I was not able to download the mission from your file provider. I sent you a PM with my email address. Send me your demo mission I will take a look at it.

Uh, okay. I had the lip movement working. And, started a new mission and now it's now. I haven't done anything at all different. What gives?

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Noticed that on a mission I've made, more often than not, the lip movement kicks in half way through a speech. Seems it's seriously bugged...

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

Seems I can get lip movement to work on the player but not on AI - how weird is that? Does anybody have any suggestions? :)

Is anyone finding that the lip movement is bugged to hell? Or has anyone had this issue and solved it somehow? I'm totally going insane over this one! It seems the lip movement doesn't work at all, or if it does, it starts up mid-sentence. Sometimes it works ok. Sometimes not. But the one thing that does tend to work, is when the player speaks. That seems to be alright!

Are you using OGG or Wav file?

What is your file setup ...mono/stereo/kbits....

Hi Frag, I've got it working - I've succumbed to KBTell. It's taken me all day. But it's working! I tried using OGG and WAV with say command, but no luck. KBTell seems to do the trick.

I have the same problem...I just canot get it to work. I have my ogg and lip files in my mission subfolder "sound". The sound works fine, but there is no lip move. I dont know what I am doing wrong. My description.ext file is this:

class CfgSounds

{

sounds[] = {mes1};

class mes1

{

name = "mes1"; // Name for mission editor

sound[] = {"\sound\mes1.ogg", 1, 1.0};

titles[] = {};

};

};

//////////////

In the trigger I have put this:

bob say "mes1"

Do I need some update or a patch for arma 3 to get it work???

Hi Frag, I've got it working - I've succumbed to KBTell. It's taken me all day. But it's working! I tried using OGG and WAV with say command, but no luck. KBTell seems to do the trick.

Ok. I made small and simple example mission to show new functionality of KBTell and working lip movement. So "say" command is now really obsolete.

Call the small dialog with radio Alpha 0-0-1. All files have some comments, to understand the architecture.

kbtell_tutorial.Stratis.rar

Edited by Fedator