Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

I must admit I was rather sceptical about campaign (we hadn't had a good one since OFP / OFP : R), now I'm ashamed. YOU DID GREAT WORK BIS. It really has that OFP feeling, playing as normal infantry man from start, plot twist, dialouges, everything that good campaign needs. Finally we can emotionally attach to our character. Keep up the good work.

im still having troubles getting passed the first mission where you get to the wreck and both soldiers get out and just stands there...

do I wait?

I tried going x4 speed and nothing happened.

retry from very beginning?

no mods are being used.

im still having troubles getting passed the first mission where you get to the wreck and both soldiers get out and just stands there...

do I wait?

I tried going x4 speed and nothing happened.

retry from very beginning?

no mods are being used.

Stop closer to the vehicle, dont stop immediately when told to, and dont drive past it.

YOU DID GREAT WORK BIS. It really has that OFP feeling, playing as normal infantry man from start, plot twist, dialouges, everything that good campaign needs. Finally we can emotionally attach to our character. Keep up the good work.
same here...first time since resistance campaign I have this feeling again!

I got this script error in Tipping Point

Error in expression <vehicle _center,
if (_inCover) then {

(_coverLow + random _coverHigh)
} else {
>
 Error position: <_coverLow + random _coverHigh)
} else {
>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _coverlow
Error in expression <os==3) then
{
_pos = [(_pos select 0) + _dist*sin _dir, (_pos select 1) + _dist*>
 Error position: <_dist*sin _dir, (_pos select 1) + _dist*>
 Error Undefined variable in expression: _dist
File A3\functions_f\geometry\fn_relPos.sqf, line 26

Probably been reported but I don't want to read the whole thread because of spoilers.

Problem is I missed parts of the dialogue on the first few missions. It was too quite. It sounds like a surround sound bug. I am playing with head phones with my audio console (creative XFI) set to headphones mode. I hope this an be fixed soon (on stable branch). Eg Hot fix, it's pretty annoying.

IIRC; the first was when the guy is talking to you before you have to drive the truck. The second is when the guy at the British area is walking and talking to you.

Edited by -=seany=-

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167827-Death-Valley-WTF-BI

I want to figure out wether I am incompetent or wether the AI in this mission is abnormally deadly. I`ve stopped trying after 15 reverts and went back to maxwell instead. I hope this is no mandatory mission, because as it stands, it`s unwinneable. Are the casualties permanent, by the way? Because then, this mission is about the worst disaster to happen, because nobody will survive apart from the player as the mission stands right now.

Sorry to say but the campaign is not fun at all so far. 2nd mission starts good, some freedom at last. But the rest are way too linear. Mission Wet Work is super boring. drive boat, swim, shoot 2 ducks, move 100m, shoot 8 dudes, enter truck and done. AI gets stuck alot (not moving like planned to), and you get punished (as in mission failing) for every tiny bit. I drove 5 m past the wreck in mission 1-> Mission Fail. In Crossing Paths on the final section the AI Squad stayed put at the supply site, but the mission marker was on the 3 houses. I went to the houses, killed almost all enemies by my own, got the "clear houses" objectives and suddenly failed mission for straying off path because annoying "squadleader" was camping at the camp site.

Where is the survival part that was advertised ? If i dont hurry catching up with the annoying squadleaders that just constantly run to the next objective (unless they are once again stuck), i never see an enemy. When i arrived at Mike-26 in that mission, there was one guy left who was running away.

Stop closer to the vehicle, dont stop immediately when told to, and dont drive past it.

This is complete joke. I have spent like an hour trying to find the sweet spot for the script to actually work and I'm still stuck. The even more ridiculous thing is that if you drive past the crashed car the mission instantly fails, because you ''disobeyed orders'. :mad:

And I was waiting almost two months since release for this?!

Campaign was awesome, only AI was annoying at certain times. Can't believe they still headshot you in 1 second!

I am also stuck on the Maxwell load screen.

I run no mods. I cleared my parameter line.

Don't know if this is the place to report it, but I can't finish the mission "radio silence" because the artillery fire is insanely inaccurate. I'm pretty sure I'm precisely identifying the targets, but the mortars hit somewhere maybe 100m away.

I'm not running any mods. Just Vanilla from Steam.

Don't know if this is the place to report it, but I can't finish the mission "radio silence" because the artillery fire is insanely inaccurate. I'm pretty sure I'm precisely identifying the targets, but the mortars hit somewhere maybe 100m away.

I'm not running any mods. Just Vanilla from Steam.

This =/= mission unfinished

The campaign seems to combine the style of the Cold War Crisis campaign (invasion, retreats, hiding in forests) with Resistance (base of operations with weapons being carried over from previous missions) and ArmA 1 (relatively short and straightforward missions; deploy, follow a short route with pretty much scripted enemy positions, fight, exfiltrate). I was thrilled when I started playing it, then got gradually disappointed when it seemed to carbon copy the storyline from Cold War Crisis a bit too much so far.

Finished it on normal very fast with little to no challenge (friendly AI was very deadly). Decided to try again, but on Veteran. The game becomes almost unplayable. The friendlies drop like flies, while the enemy AI is again super deadly. Tried lowering the AI back to normal, but didn't notice a difference. I have encountered numerous situations when I am on their flank, aiming and opening fire, the enemy starts turning and before even completing the turn towards me (not to mention taking time to scan and locate me, aim, etc.), starts putting rounds on me (or headshots) even though I'm peeking behind cover. Maybe I got the wrong impression, but the enemy sometimes seems to start shooting immediately after the angle is less than 45 degrees towards me which looks weird and feels like playing some game in alpha even though the distance is like two hundred meters or smth. So, to sum it up, on normal it's too easy, on veteran often unplayable due to AI issues.

Looking forward to follow up episodes, but I hope this gets ironed out. Shouldn't this AI precision thing have been resolved already since OFP? It's been 10 years already, I'd expect a complete redesign of this mechanic if problems persisted and this felt like we're back where we started (even worse considering the seemingly half turn instant fire capability) when put on Veteran level.

Edited by ijozic

This is complete joke. I have spent like an hour trying to find the sweet spot for the script to actually work and I'm still stuck. The even more ridiculous thing is that if you drive past the crashed car the mission instantly fails, because you ''disobeyed orders'. :mad:

I dont know what to say, it worked for me first try. Try reverting all the way to the start of the mission, and stopping ~20-30 meters in front of the truck. That is what i did. :)

About the MI-48 in tipping point

Why there is a MI-48 and its status is never fire? I managed to shoot it down by PCML, then the pilots were carelessly walking around and my teammates won't shoot the pilots. The worse thing is then my AI leader wouldn't run to the waypoint but walking to. Then the worst thing is the mortar would become too much accurate so we are wiped out quickly.

If I won't shoot the MI-48, then everything was normal and I can get to the boat with 3 or more AI.

So why BIS you must set an attack chopper with 4 soldier instead of a group of para? then you disable the chopper's fire?

It is so unreasonable from any real or game aspects.

You dont need the mortars to finish Radio Science, i missed all of them, then just cleared it out by hand. It doesnt end the mission, you just need to move on #perfectionists.

Yeah, clearing the base in Radio Silence is fairly straight forward even if the mortars are ineffective. It is frustrating though, because to begin with it feels like you are doing something wrong or haven't understood how to target them properly.

Though I will add, in general, the level of polish and quality throughout the campaign is very, very high! Not at all disappointed.

Additional things I will note; Death Valley, at the end when the order to retreat comes, the squad lead runs straight through the town's buildings like a ghost. Not sure what could cause this. Whilst not a massive issue it does sully the otherwise excellent immersion of the campaign.

Also in the final mission whilst making the final sprint to the boats, with the enemy paratroopers running parallel and firing off shots at us, why are the mini-gunners not engaging? Seems to me that would be a very cinematic way to finish off the campaign. It would put me in mind of the scene in Act of Valour where the boats arrive and let rip.

Edited by .Taffy

But see you only ever visit a few places. You never once go to the lower half of the island.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Well, some people are never happy!

I think I can safely say that BIS have done a damn fine job on the first episode of the mission, bloody good work (as us Brits would say :p).

Btw, The campaign isn't meant to find out who can complete it in the fastest time, it is meant to be enjoyed, something which I am doing immensely.

It sucks. It's way to linear, and just fast.

I took my time, I did everything with precision. Recon, setting an ai in overwatch, stealthing.. Still finished fast. The only objective I didn't get was mortars on the radio silence.

Hell wet works and the heli mission both sucked. Short, extremely linear, and just boring. The best missions so far = 2 and radio silence.

The campaign in Arma 2 was way better in many ways.

But see you only ever visit a few places. You never once go to the lower half of the island.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

It sucks. It's way to linear, and just fast.

I took my time, I did everything with precision. Recon, setting an ai in overwatch, stealthing.. Still finished fast. The only objective I didn't get was mortars on the radio silence.

Hell wet works and the heli mission both sucked. Short, extremely linear, and just boring. The best missions so far = 2 and radio silence.

The campaign in Arma 2 was way better in many ways.

why NOT fast? Didn't you know you are surrounded in an only 19km^2 island in 2035? Did you think you can took months to fight? Then I think you are playing as Rambo and AAF will need a survive.

Edited by msy

I personally loved the campaign and I don't have any important gripes with it. In fact I don't think I have any at all.

I felt the campaign in Arma II was kind of unpolished, it didn't really engage me. But this one? I was left wanting for more. I'd say take your time with the next episodes and make them just as awesome!

A comment about Tipping Point:

Having that attack helicopter circling around so close and not engaging us, even when I took shots at it, was kind of confusing. Also, the AI gets a little confused navigating the slope (just after being told to retreat north) and they got wiped out by the enemy units topside a couple of times in a manner that I'm sure was not intended at all.

After playing the campaign again, I fail to see the deeper complexity of the conflict. NATO seems to be a very civic force fighting against the very ethnic CSAT. NATO appears to be repeating the similar process of dehumanizing the enemy that occurred durring both world wars that could easily lead to a lack of understanding that they are fighting other human beings. NATO also appears to have a similar behavior towards AAF.

The deeper complexities of the campaign should be thought out first before deciding what events and information the player will receive. War is not always about shoot this or kill that. People may not have had a choice whether or not they went to war and who they fight for.

Edited by ProGamer

After playing the campaign again, I fail to see the deeper complexity of the conflict. NATO seems to be a very civic force fighting against the very ethnic CSAT. NATO appears to be repeating the similar process of dehumanizing the enemy that occurred durring both world wars that could easily lead to a lack of understanding that they are fighting other human beings. NATO also appears to have a similar behavior towards AAF.

The deeper complexities of the campaign should be thought out first before deciding what events and information the player will receive. War is not always about shoot this or kill that. People may not have had a choice whether or not they went to war and who they fight for.

Yeah you genius, If every sergeant in the game has 1/10 of your brain then NATO has already captured the cosmos.

It is a war that first hurts low level soldiers, the most thing they can do is to survive. Political conspiracy is for generals.

Edited by msy

What? Get off your soap box and take your political commentary somewhere else. One, NATO wasn't even formed during either World War. Two, the US calling the AAF "Greenbacks" is no different than all you anti-US guys calling Americans "Yanks". Both sides dehumanize the other. It happens in war and makes it easier to do your job, which is to kill the enemy. War is most certainly about kill this, kill that. That's war. At the end of the day, that's what you're doing. You're killing the enemy. You got a problem with war and the game's depiction of it? Go find another game. The point of the first episode of the campaign (not "the campaign" as if you've replayed the whole campaign) is to end on a cliffhanger where in the next two episodes you will understand the deeper complexity of the conflict. But it's not that complex if you'd do a little digging yourself. Matter of fact, you don't have to. A couple pages ago I did that for you. It's really simple. Iran, Russia, and China have essentially formed their own NATO: CSAT: Canton-Protocol Alliance Treaty. The closest real-life version of that is the SCO: Shanghai Cooperation Organisation. Both of these were formed with China at the center. The resurgent Iran is expansive and has imperial ambitions. They seized Turkey when the nation was at it's weakest - forces deployed to another nation on a humanitarian mission, hit by a series of unprecedented natural disasters. The Iranians pushed through Turkey and into Greece. They seized half of that country before being halted by the Jerusalem Peace Accords of 2033 (that's the Jerusalem Ceasefire mentioned in the intro). In the E3 2012 story, the Iranians had captured Limnos/Altis, and this Survive episode was supposed to be the Iranians launching an invasion of Stratis. Now, it's that Altis and Stratis are independent, and the Iranians invade. While Iran is expanding in the Middle East, North Africa, and the Mediterranean, China is growing its influence and taking the Pacific. The "shipped out to the Pacific to play with the big boys" dialogue refers to that: the US and China are in a proxy war in the Pacific, and that is where the US's real focus is, hence why Stratis is understaffed so to speak. THAT is the background. The story has been thought out. It's been revealed for over a year now, and frankly I don't care how the US forces view the AAF as clearly they are traitorous just like many in the ANA and ANP in Afghanistan. So, again, cut the political commentary. If you were playing as the AAF or CSAT, it'd be no different.

Yeah you genius, If every sergeant in the game has 1/10 of your brain then NATO has already captured the cosmos.

It is a war that first hurts low level soldiers, the most thing they can do is to survive. Political conspiracy is for generals.

I do not want arma 3 to follow the standard shoot the bad guys philosophy games suffer from. Soldiers have to decide contending loyalties especially in a civic group. A civic group has to take measures to prevent itself from becoming more ethnic minded durring conflict. There is no good or bad, only a viewpoint from a single side. To beat your enemy, you must understand them.