Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Are you using a 5.1 sound system or similar?

It seems to do it regardless of whether I use my 5.1 system on 5.1 mode, or my headphones in Stereo mode.

It seems to do it regardless of whether I use my 5.1 system on 5.1 mode, or my headphones in Stereo mode.

Are you using a separate sound card panel that lets you select how many channels to use independently of which sound output you choose? In my sound panel, I can select between surround sound and stereo headphones while still having 8 channels selected. When I have running only two channels, it runs fine. Anything more, even with stereo headphones, and it messes up.

I find it quite annoying that so much time is being wasted on the single player when there is plenty of work to be done with the main aspect of the game which is the multiplayer. I am not saying that the single player shouldn't ever be added to the game, I just think that the single player is something that is going to be overlooked by most people. Personally I won't be playing the single player and I don't think anyone will be from the clan I am in come to think about it I have never played any single player missions in any arma games.

Currently in my clan there is a debate going on about switching back to arma 2, this is because of the number of game breaking bugs in arma 3 such as AI weapons being inaudible after reload which basically ruins every multiplayer mission we play. The AI is very inconsistent, they will go from not being able to shoot you at all to then doing a 180 instant kill shot. I really really really dislike the futuristic path that arma 3 has taken but luckily enough their are plenty of mods to fix it since the new weapons look and sound horrible. Speaking of mods why didn't arma 3 launch with a built in radio system and medical system? surely it shouldn't be down to modders to do everything right? Finally what about the mod tools? why are they taking so long to be released along with the tools to enable ARMA 2 content to be used in ARMA 3.

I could write a massive list of all the bugs and stuff that annoys me in arma 3 such as not being able to assemble the mortar but hopefully this survival thing isn't just single player crap but instead includes at least some fixes for many of the common issues. If it doesn't then it looks like we're going to end up back in arma 2 and I really don't want that to happen since I have played that game for so long.

Please focus on fixing the game rather than releasing single campaigns.

Right so because we are playing as a corporal it's OK that it takes an eternity for AAF to find a base (considering they have all that strong air force). Then they drop an arty on the base. And NATO instead of getting out ASAP... stays there. Not even trying to put out fires. I mean you gotta escape because arty is there to soften shit up for main forces. Oh wait - the enemies never come to finish NATO forces off. In fact there's ~18 hours passing between the bombardment and the next mission. I guess the reason for this is above corporal's rank?

Or that enemies refuse to mount their APCs when their last base is getting pushed into the sea?

You are trying to make it look like BIS did any research when in fact they have used literally zero common sense when designing campaign. It's like it was designed by 16 years old who thinks that war is all about HOOAH MURICA and every other army has no idea how to even use their own tech. This is laughable.

So what will make you happy, Metalcraze?

Actually. Don't answer that, go join the army instead and volunteer to do anything remotely dangerous.

I find it quite annoying that so much time is being wasted on the single player when there is plenty of work to be done with the main aspect of the game which is the multiplayer. I am not saying that the single player shouldn't ever be added to the game, I just think that the single player is something that is going to be overlooked by most people. Personally I won't be playing the single player and I don't think anyone will be from the clan I am in come to think about it I have never played any single player missions in any arma games.

Currently in my clan there is a debate going on about switching back to arma 2, this is because of the number of game breaking bugs in arma 3 such as AI weapons being inaudible after reload which basically ruins every multiplayer mission we play. The AI is very inconsistent, they will go from not being able to shoot you at all to then doing a 180 instant kill shot. I really really really dislike the futuristic path that arma 3 has taken but luckily enough their are plenty of mods to fix it since the new weapons look and sound horrible. Speaking of mods why didn't arma 3 launch with a built in radio system and medical system? surely it shouldn't be down to modders to do everything right? Finally what about the mod tools? why are they taking so long to be released along with the tools to enable ARMA 2 content to be used in ARMA 3.

I could write a massive list of all the bugs and stuff that annoys me in arma 3 such as not being able to assemble the mortar but hopefully this survival thing isn't just single player crap but instead includes at least some fixes for many of the common issues. If it doesn't then it looks like we're going to end up back in arma 2 and I really don't want that to happen since I have played that game for so long.

Your opinion which is cool.

My opinion is that you are wrong. There are plenty of people wanting to play the campaign, just look at this thread!! Then don't forget there are other people who want to wait until the first episode of the campaign gets released on stable branch and then there are even more people waiting for the whole campaign to get released before playing it...

So, there are plenty of people wanting to play single player. Just because you don't doesn't mean that the devs should focus on the MP side of the game.

The current team working on missions for ArmA3 is just terrible at what it does. They could've at least read some feedback about showcases since alpha and not repeat the same amateur design mistakes. But I guess they think their design is perfect. Since they can't learn from their own mistakes - the rest of episodes will be just as terrible. And it's sad.

Please dial back on the trolling, rhetoric and insults, you're welcome to share your opinion but breaking forum rules by insulting the game devs is not acceptable, this is a final warning.

He's been doing that since alpha... and to date he's the only forums user that actually caused the devs to verbally push back against his insults of them. Though it is amusing to see him use "the devs" rather than specifically name community member turned dev Zipper5... or completely ignore how, if the devs "think their design is perfect", it's because the overwhelming tilt of public feedback is generally positive about the direction and implementation and the devs' willingness to members that may disagree with him. ;) (For example, the change in the mortars during "Tipping Point"... though I'd rather that they have listened to the feedback on the mortar task for Mike-26's guard towers...)

(Example of off-forums positive feedback: "The first mission reminds me so much of the mission in Operation Flashpoint where you're stuck on your own in enemy territory and need to make it to an evac zone....only more frantic as you watch all your evac zones and bases get fucked up from a distance, while trying to run to safety. It was glorious.")

The main aspect of the game is the sandbox element of the game, that thing that both singleplayer and multiplayer hinge on. The problems you mention with MP are problems that exist outside of MP as well. So your issue and your suggested focus of the team, isn't on MP. It's on the very core of their game. The future path has nothing to do with the sounds of the weapons or the problems you mention. Not only that, but your post is offtopic for this thread which is specifically feedback for the campaign.

(For example, the change in the mortars during "Tipping Point"... though I'd rather that they have listened to the feedback on the mortar task for Mike-26's guard towers...)

Don't worry, we haven't chosen one over the other. We're still investigating if we can improve that issue, as it is also a common complaint.

The problem lies in the conflict between sandbox and playable content. The mortar in Radio Silence mission is an actual mortar with each round having simulated ballistics, the exact same as you would get if you placed it in the Editor using the Supports system, because that's exactly what it's using. Admittedly, the mission flow was designed when mortars were much more accurate by default, hence why you're having to take out specific towers.

However, in response to user feedback, the accuracy of sandbox mortars was lowered, which makes sense when you think about it. Before, you'd order a salvo of 8 rounds in sandbox, and each round would land pretty much exactly where you ordered it. Unfortunately, this change also impacted this mission. As a direct result, we changed the mission so that, although the task fails, the mission still continues. We saw this as a solution for now (although I do still manage fairly regularly to take out each tower, myself :cool: ) while we look at if, and how, we can properly solve the issue. Rest assured, we're not ignoring it.

Thanks, some of us have proposed a fix of simply changing the Task (or, in my suggestion, removing it).

Why not change the prescribed nature of the task itself so that it's more clear -- especially with the current state of the mortars' reduced accuracy -- that you're just supposed to deal as much damage as possible, without making it a pass/fail 'exam'? The problem in regards to mortars is that first-round accuracy (i.e. the first salvo if going single-shell) is one thing, but there's no seemingly consistent accuracy change when attempting to make corrections.

As someone else put it on the Steam forums, "There seems to be no way to have them adjust. I have tried marking the map after firing 1 round with an estimated adjustment, but that does not appear to be consistent."

Edited by Chortles

Are you using a separate sound card panel that lets you select how many channels to use independently of which sound output you choose? In my sound panel, I can select between surround sound and stereo headphones while still having 8 channels selected. When I have running only two channels, it runs fine. Anything more, even with stereo headphones, and it messes up.

Yes...using a Xonar D2X, 6 channels selected. However, no other game in my entire library does this so I'd say it's an issue that needs fixing. :)

Yes...using a Xonar D2X, 6 channels selected. However, no other game in my entire library does this so I'd say it's an issue that needs fixing. :)

Was just suggesting ways to work around it, since you said switching it to stereo wasn't working.

Switch it to two channels and use DolbyD 7.1 surround. Then use the control panel to bring the speakers in as close to you as possible. Best surround sound can get atm with the xonars. Or any true surround sound card.

Just completely finished the campaign. Everything ran fine ... but as a lot of people reports ... the sound is broken. I never can watch someone directly in front of me when they are speaking -> No sound.

You need to turn your head and look away, like an old dude with an ear impairment...

Good work BIS, very fun campaign. Just fix the sound and everything will be fine with this.

Don't worry, we haven't chosen one over the other. We're still investigating if we can improve that issue, as it is also a common complaint.

The problem lies in the conflict between sandbox and playable content. The mortar in Radio Silence mission is an actual mortar with each round having simulated ballistics, the exact same as you would get if you placed it in the Editor using the Supports system, because that's exactly what it's using. Admittedly, the mission flow was designed when mortars were much more accurate by default, hence why you're having to take out specific towers.

However, in response to user feedback, the accuracy of sandbox mortars was lowered, which makes sense when you think about it. Before, you'd order a salvo of 8 rounds in sandbox, and each round would land pretty much exactly where you ordered it. Unfortunately, this change also impacted this mission. As a direct result, we changed the mission so that, although the task fails, the mission still continues. We saw this as a solution for now (although I do still manage fairly regularly to take out each tower, myself :cool: ) while we look at if, and how, we can properly solve the issue. Rest assured, we're not ignoring it.

I got an idea for you. Place two MGs in the corners on Top of the large fortified structure (I think it was labeled as #2) and change the task to destroy those very dangerous MG with Mortarfire. Usually one shell that hits is enough to kill everything on that roof.

Was just suggesting ways to work around it, since you said switching it to stereo wasn't working.

Switch it to two channels and use DolbyD 7.1 surround. Then use the control panel to bring the speakers in as close to you as possible. Best surround sound can get atm with the xonars. Or any true surround sound card.

Interesting. The options I have with 2 channel are "7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter", "Dolby Pro Logic IIx", and "DTS:NEO PC". Did you mean Dolby Pro Logic?

For reference, I am using an analog 5.1 speaker setup, along with a pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones (usually headphones with ArmA 3 so I can use my TrackIR Pro Clip).

I find it quite annoying that so much time is being wasted on the single player when there is plenty of work to be done with the main aspect of the game which is the multiplayer.

[...]

Well, though I understand your opinion, I think its a bit self centered.

I only play SP and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. In fact SP has always been an important part of this series. Just think, all the games, expansions and DLCs of the series have featured a campaign and SP missions.

On the other hand the campaign has been the single main feature of A3 that has been delayed from the initial release, so it make sense that the developers now focus on it. Besides that is the first time in the series that the release version of a game is so polished and bug free ( probably due to the open Alpha and Beta ).

Interesting. The options I have with 2 channel are "7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter", "Dolby Pro Logic IIx", and "DTS:NEO PC". Did you mean Dolby Pro Logic?

For reference, I am using an analog 5.1 speaker setup, along with a pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones (usually headphones with ArmA 3 so I can use my TrackIR Pro Clip).

Nope, the 7.1 virtual speaker shifter. It turns on Dolby's virtual surround. Then on the right side, you'll see your 8 speakers. And one of the buttons to the right of that will bring the virtual sound sources in close giving it a better sound (making it slightly louder though, be aware).

I wasn't expecting very much, but I was pleasantly surprised. I was glad to play through the entire campaign without any bugs or glitches (I second one of the comments above: walking through forests sucks), and I really like the whole strategic map/mission picking thing. I like the voice acting, it's quite nice especially for a game like arma.

-It really got to me when your buddy steps on the mine before you meet up with the brits

-I thought "oh, finally we'll get some good munitions" but it really surprised me when the camp was attacks, as did the attack on camp maxwell.

overall, I'm pretty impressed, and I can't wait for the next episode to come out!

Nope, the 7.1 virtual speaker shifter. It turns on Dolby's virtual surround. Then on the right side, you'll see your 8 speakers. And one of the buttons to the right of that will bring the virtual sound sources in close giving it a better sound (making it slightly louder though, be aware).

Alright, I did some testing...the 7.1 sounds pretty good, but making it 2 Channel vs 6/8 Channel seems to make the surround sound a LOT worse.

I liked the changes to Tipping Point's mortars: they still land close enough to force the player to keep on the move until he can find some overhead cover without regularly killing the whole squad (player included). It's a nice setpiece that works a lot better than it used to.

Well done BI.

Alright, I did some testing...the 7.1 sounds pretty good, but making it 2 Channel vs 6/8 Channel seems to make the surround sound a LOT worse.

Good to know. I don't game on a xonar anymore, so I'm def liable to be wrong.

Few questions to last campaign mission:

When CSAT helis did invade the island, there were 2 Mi-48 helis, why none of them were shooting at the troops? Also another question, when we were taking off the island with boats, also non of helis tried to stop us, looks strange to me.

Nobody on the boats gives any covering fire, either.

they do, but only later, when:

2 CAS aircrafts attacking on us at very end