Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

I'm confused as to which section we are supposed to put campaign stuff in. It should only be this one right. Since in the Arma3 (non development branch) hasn't got the campaign yet. But both threads are talking about the same thing.

Anyway, can someone help me with the "radio silence" mission? I have been playing it for almost 2 hours and have not had mortars hit a single target yet. Outside of the one or two times it hit a different target than what I told them to hit. They all just land randomly. No joke, i'm getting mortars landing 50 to 70 meters away. I've tried single shot to 5 shots and not one hit a single guard tower. I can't pass the mission without taking them out.

It also says I can call out targets without the map. How? by looking at a target through binoculars when I call out to fire? It says I need both to adjust fire, but every adjustment just gives me another set of random drops

I was using VTS Ballistic mod in-game, so the wind was probably effecting my mortars.....I missed most of my targets as well, but the game let me go ahead and take out the men in the towers at Mike-26 with my gun. Not sure why the game isn't allowing you to move on, though. Also, I was only sending two mortars at a time until I ran out.

Again, though it was not in a US army, my military experience is quite close to what rehtus777 said. We had to comply orders without buts from our natural chain of command ( which at some points involved people from other NATO countries ).

I understand that in the Episode case, as the natural chain of command is broken, they make a new one with the higher and most experienced rank in command ( in that case Capt. Miller ). That luckily that guy is a spec ops ( some kind of uk devgru ), so the perfect one to manage that kind of situation ( just imagine that the only officer to survive was a chaplain or a clerk xD ).

Also troops tend to be given just the needed information to do their mission, no more.

Right so because we are playing as a corporal it's OK that it takes an eternity for AAF to find a base (considering they have all that strong air force). Then they drop an arty on the base. And NATO instead of getting out ASAP... stays there. Not even trying to put out fires. I mean you gotta escape because arty is there to soften shit up for main forces. Oh wait - the enemies never come to finish NATO forces off. In fact there's ~18 hours passing between the bombardment and the next mission. I guess the reason for this is above corporal's rank?

Or that enemies refuse to mount their APCs when their last base is getting pushed into the sea?

You are trying to make it look like BIS did any research when in fact they have used literally zero common sense when designing campaign. It's like it was designed by 16 years old who thinks that war is all about HOOAH MURICA and every other army has no idea how to even use their own tech. This is laughable.

Dude, get a life. You're the ultimate antagonist....it gets old. Apparently you've never been in the military.... when does an Operation ever go off without a hitch or perfectly? Rarely....usually everything is FUBAR. As for the campaign, BIS has licence to make up whatever story they wish. I kind of feel sorry for you, actually..... it's just a game and we are to enjoy it. You remind me of one of those guys you take to a movie and all they do is nit-pick that it's "not real"......duhhhhhhhhh...... it's fake..... it's a movie!!!! You mean there is no way Rambo could have taken out 200 men in one movie without getting a scratch.....really?!!!!! A movie is entertainment....... ArmA 3 is entertainment.

The Story Line doesn't give enough information for you to criticize every little thing..... again, get a life.

---------- Post added at 02:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

MistyRonin, not to get too off topic, but that sort of obedience is what got many SS an invite to the gallows.

The SS did not have the UCMJ like the United States has (I'm sure European NATO forces has a similar code)...... and Himmler (the chicken farmer) was a thug to a tyrannical narcissist nut-job known as "Der Fuhrer." :p

Edited by rehtus777

MistyRonin, not to get too off topic, but that sort of obedience is what got many SS an invite to the gallows.

Well in our case, we had to comply any order unless was directly against the elemental rights from the constitution or against the Geneve convention. And if we thought that was not a right but it didn't go against that specific rights, then we had to obey and later issue a complain through the chain of command.

Well in our case, we had to comply any order unless was directly against the elemental rights from the constitution or against the Geneve convention. And if we thought that was not a right but it didn't go against that specific rights, then we had to obey and later issue a complain through the chain of command.

Yes. It also depended on the situation as well. If you were in a war zone or combat, the penalty would be much stiffer if you didn't obey....even death. During Peace Time, you had to appeal up the chain of command or to a judge. Also, you had better have "just cause" or your career was over.....and even if you were in the right, you could still be 'black balled' by those above you that you disobeyed.

Right so because we are playing as a corporal it's OK that it takes an eternity for AAF to find a base (considering they have all that strong air force). Then they drop an arty on the base. And NATO instead of getting out ASAP... stays there. Not even trying to put out fires. I mean you gotta escape because arty is there to soften shit up for main forces. Oh wait - the enemies never come to finish NATO forces off. In fact there's ~18 hours passing between the bombardment and the next mission. I guess the reason for this is above corporal's rank?

Or that enemies refuse to mount their APCs when their last base is getting pushed into the sea?

You are trying to make it look like BIS did any research when in fact they have used literally zero common sense when designing campaign. It's like it was designed by 16 years old who thinks that war is all about HOOAH MURICA and every other army has no idea how to even use their own tech. This is laughable.

Seriously, this current conversation has NOTHING to do with how long it took the AAF to find the base. NOTHING. It ONLY has to do with LT James comment to Kerry about him being on a need-to-know basis. That's IT! At this point you are just trolling and acting very immature. And cut the anti-US crap. The devs are mostly from the Czech Republic. Has nothing to do with "Hooah 'Murica".

Either way... I felt like I went on a feels trip with the campaign. I think they did a great job on it, and I cannot wait to see the rest!

People still answer to that guy? Let him monologue.

Well oddly enough, on rare occasions I actually agree with some points he brings up. And I kinda agree on the unrealistic response of the AAF here. But here he knows that's not what we're talking about yet he insists on being a pest.

Yes. It also depended on the situation as well. If you were in a war zone or combat, the penalty would be much stiffer if you didn't obey....even death. During Peace Time, you had to appeal up the chain of command or to a judge. Also, you had better have "just cause" or your career was over.....and even if you were in the right, you could still be 'black balled' by those above you that you disobeyed.

Of course, same in my case. In fact that has been recently an issue with sexual abuse cases... But that would be a subject completely offtopic.

But returning to the game. To me the situation seems credible enough ( after all is a piece of software to entertain ), much better than most of the games.

This, so far, seems to be beating the Arma 2 and OA campaigns by a long shot. Though, gotta say, the choosing missions reminds me a lot of how you chose a mission in A2 campaign and had the Huey fly you in where you had to look for evidence, only now you look for targets.

Though, the random white blocks popping in here and there, combined with the blocky digital turning grass makes it feel like I'm playing a half-broken simulation of "What to do if you're abandoned with limited resources and the magic ability to turn back time". Otherwise, I'm loving it. Can't wait to see how it improves.

People still answer to that guy? Let him monologue.
Admittedly his monologuing is actually where I get some of my entertainment value from Arma 3 from. :lol:

Not least because he may or may not realize that the overwhelmingly positive majority of feedback thusfar for the campaign both on and off of these forums is encouraging the very design direction that he loathes, in an "it is what the player base wants" way. For example, the post above mine... metalcraze's "worst campaign ever" versus Kilroy's "beating the Arma 2 and OA campaigns by a long shot."

Overall I really liked the first campaign and I was able to use JSRS. Good job, BIS!

However, some things that really bugged me include:

1.) After a month and a half of waiting for this episode, I'm a bit disappointed. The missions are very short, like showcase missions.

2.) The whole premise of "surviving" doesn't feel like the odds are against you. In OPF and closer to the end of Arma 2, you really felt screwed. You crawled around everywhere and picked your fights carefully. In this first episode it feels like your small group of bandits could wipe out the entirety of AAF forces.

3.) Soldiers saluting you, a Corporal.

4.) Did you just reuse the infantry showcase?!

5.) Is AAN the only news network in existence?

Seriously, this current conversation has NOTHING to do with how long it took the AAF to find the base. NOTHING. It ONLY has to do with LT James comment to Kerry about him being on a need-to-know basis. That's IT! At this point you are just trolling and acting very immature. And cut the anti-US crap. The devs are mostly from the Czech Republic. Has nothing to do with "Hooah 'Murica".

I think people are forgetting that the AAF only have a companies worth of soldiers (roughly about 140 +/ -) on stratis and this whole campaign episode takes place over a day period. It would make sense if the less experienced, poorly equipped AAF would pick their fights against the experienced 20 +/ - NATO troops. It's also possible that the AAF didn't know how many NATO troops actually survived the initial fighting. It's a story, it's entertainment, and honestly there are WAY TO MANY IFS to really be able to say this or that is what is happening for sure outside of what you experience as Cpl. Kerry.

4.) Did you just reuse the infantry showcase?!

I really can't believe how short-sighted people still are about this. If you play them both, you see the campaign plot in both. So the OBVIOUS deduction is that they made the showcase, filled it with random dialogue, and built their entire campaign around it. *nods* Perfect sense.

I really can't believe how short-sighted people still are about this. If you play them both, you see the campaign plot in both. So the OBVIOUS deduction is that they made the showcase, filled it with random dialogue, and built their entire campaign around it. *nods* Perfect sense.

Really? Is that what you're going with? Have you actually played that mission? It doesn't even fit into the storyline properly, especially if you just completed "Wet Work". So it is highly likely that Bohemia just adjusted the showcase a bit.

Why is it I have the DEV build, but no campaign?

Do I need to make a Campaigns folder in the Main Directory? What the heck!?

Why is it I have the DEV build, but no campaign?

Do I need to make a Campaigns folder in the Main Directory? What the heck!?

Try verify and repair. Worked for me.

I just dont like , that you have to play as an American soldier. Right now , USA is collapsing. USA is spying Europe , so I dont think , that they would be allies in 2035. It would be better , if you could play as Europe Corps or something like that. Just my opinion. At least there were some brits . I dont like , that for example Russia or China arent in the game.

One interesting thing I found while playing through was various characters died multiple times. Example, I had Larkin die a few times only to return miraculously in the next mission which required him to be there.

I also ran into an issue with Crossing Paths, after clearing the houses I was unable to advance further. The team leader was laying on the ground with his pistol refusing to get up and move. When attempting to carry on, I would fail the mission from leaving his side after he shouted to regroup.

The campaign is great thus far, I really enjoy the "random" events when things are done differently. Small things like turning off the engine at the roadblock and not driving through right away.

I still can´t resume the campaign from the main menu, I click on resume and then loading screen appears for like 2 seconds and I am back in the campaign menu. So I have to click revert every time I am killed and start with the mission from the beginning...

i get stuck on the first mission when SPOILER ALERT BELOW

driving the truck to kamino, we see the wreck of a certain person and we disembark and just stand there :/

Mine still won't load Maxwell, even after verifying the cache twice.

Also, don't say it too loud, but aren't there a relatively high amount of similar things politically between Altis and Greece?