Sign in to follow this  
Baskerville

Headless client enquiry

I'm slightly confused by the whole headless client concept and I have a question,

If you own ARMA 3 on steam and use the server executable i.e arma3server.exe to run a server can you also run the game client i.e arma3.exe at the same time and have it connect to the server as a headless client?

Yes you can since the dedicated does not need to be logged into steam. Use the same copy as the server to run the HC. You need a second copy to play as a client remotely.

Edited by [KH]Jman

yes you can, but you cannot :

connect a headless client AND connect to play with the same account :)

Cool, so if we bought a copy for running a server I can run the server.exe and have the game client connect to it! If the client connects and goes into the HC slot using forceHeadlessClient=1; is there any need for an in game admin to be present?

Appreciate the help guys.

Yes.

you must be connected as admin before connecting the HC. Otherwise : loads of problems (if you're not connected before as admin, the HC launches the mission ...)

The mission must be HC aware (like Domination for example BUT Domination is broken with HC, Xeno removes the HC supports in the latest one 2.99r).

For the moment on Arma3 : it's a bit a Work in Progress.

Good Luck :)

you must be connected as admin before connecting the HC. Otherwise : loads of problems

? think this is a mission's issue, I got always the HC connected automatically when server restart and got no problems at all even if I join after some hours later

I suspect this is related to a server that has a mission rotation. These are designed to fire up a mission when a client connects and they will happily do that when the client in question is an HC.

? think this is a mission's issue, I got always the HC connected automatically when server restart and got no problems at all even if I join after some hours later

it happens only the first time, not when I restart the mission.

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

I suspect this is related to a server that has a mission rotation. These are designed to fire up a mission when a client connects and they will happily do that when the client in question is an HC.

sounds the right source for this issue ...

EDIT : "Mission rotation

One can set an automatic mission rotation. It will automatically select a mission join a player joins with no admin logged in. Once the mission is done and still players on the server, it automatically switches to the next in the cycle."

No clue with the Wiki how to set NO MISSION ROTATION ...

Edited by gagi

No clue with the Wiki how to set NO MISSION ROTATION ...
You can disable mission rotation by having an empty mission list in the server.cfg file. Like this:

class Missions {};

If you do this though, don't forget you'll either need to log in as admin to select a mission or wait in the multiplayer lobby for the timeout to start it. If you go with the latter option, you won't be able to set mission parameters.

forceHeadlessClient=1

Is broken, it locks the slot and not allow headless client to join on it.

Not for me since 1.08 update :

Password's always incorrect !!!

Crazy, admins pays a lot for another licence for the headless client !!!

Come on BIS waitin' for an HOTFIX for this one !!!

I don't understand the way you tests your release :)

Can confirm the HC (Headless Client) doesn't connect to the 1.08 dedicated server exe when a password has been set...

HC Console....

'<time>...Cannot join session. Wrong password given'