How do you rate your first bCombat experience  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your first bCombat experience

• Very disappointing
    • Mediocre
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very good

What kind of (eventual) incorporation will you look at with motorised/mechanised infantry? I understand this is primarily aimed at light (dismounted) infantry but seems like it might be feasible to extend the section level decision making to incorporate MOT (drop and withdraw to dead ground) and MECH (drop and support )- eg for MECH even just similar actions to the MG firers (ie. find a decent overwatch position and SBF) would be better than vanilla... although obviously there is significant more scope for more advanced implementations - advancing through close quarters, dismount scouts to clear defiles, recon past ridgelines etc.

I understand bCommand is the next step up (and looking forward to that too!) but I could see this being included in the lower level (section) decision loop.

Regardless - great work mate! Enjoy your holidays and dont check back in too much till you are done!

---- edit -----

AISS is working on mech operations...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?165908-Artificial-intelligence-Support-System!-Released

I have not tested it but the videos look promising and from the comments it is compatible with bCombat... However while there are no comparability issues, my gut feel would running the two mods could cause unpredictable behaviour because both bCombat and AISS work on new section level decision making... hopefully I am wrong though (unless MECH/MOT inf will be addressed as part of bCombat!)

edit2 - COMPLETE red herring... but I just noticed that bCombat actually runs in the main menu screen (top down view over stratis with BLUEFOR advancing on OPFOR with the NATO symbols)... Ha - I watched that fight for ages... got a little side tracked

Edited by Zodd

Mikey,

I don't use pws, but there is something up with it. You should NOT have to mess around with unpboing it !

If Mikey can get his mod (AISS) sorted then, as he says, it should work perfectly with bCombat.

Now get back on holiday Fab !! We need you rested :)

EDIT: Just tested with http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?170975-A3-Wounding-System works PERFECTLY with bCombat

Edited by Kremator

I'll put this here now with the hopes it doesn't get lost under pages of other posts before you return from holiday :)

I think I've read every page (my eyes hurt!) I'm interested to know if your system takes accounting of available ammunition into it's behavior model... full auto is fine but if a unit is on it's last magazine (or second to last?) will they control their fire and/or behave differently (i.e. use single shot mode, smaller bursts, look for rearm and/or retreat) to help conserve their available ammunition?

How about rearming? I've seen some other systems (untested by me) where units will take ammunition from other live group members, from vehicles and even dead bodies. I don't know if *any* do so yet but having an AI even switch weapons, say from a dead body, because ammunition is available for that weapon, would be a nice feature.

I like the way FFIS will use smoke as a tactical tool. I'm very happy to hear you have added it to bcombat as well! It looks very nice and I wish I had gotten in on the closed testing! Will be trying your 0.14 public version later today and looking forward to your next release. :)

I suppose the rearming may come in bCommand, but until now, unless the firefight is HUGE, you won't run out of ammo. I've tried FFIS and I don't like it, the way it splits groups but never joins them back again :( bCombat is vastly superior.

Like Kremator says bCombat is really one of the few gems of ARMA III right now. With out a doubt the best AI Mod for any ArmA Game to date.

The two big problems i have with bcombat right now are really a bummer.

The first thing is the problem of soldiers getting stuck indoors and sometimes on the field and thus making some missions unplayable.

And also the weird problem of disabling the Configuration button in the menu during gameplay sometimes.

I suppose the rearming may come in bCommand, but until now, unless the firefight is HUGE, you won't run out of ammo. I've tried FFIS and I don't like it, the way it splits groups but never joins them back again :( bCombat is vastly superior.

I also found FFIS "panic" mod quite novel in the way units will stop following orders, even remove themselves from the group (temporarily) out of sheer terror. Very interesting when your AI squad falls under heavy suppression! BUT I see the advantages of bcombat or I wouldn't have posted. :) I think the one thing that really grabbed me from the start was the way that bcombat doesn't favor *prone* all the time, like most of the other AI mods seem to do. I liked what I saw in the videos... lots of crouched movement from cover to cover and I even think I saw AI leaning to take their shots? VERY nice!

I'm not really concerned about running out of ammo... merely curious if bcombat takes ammo count into consideration when it's handling a unit's behavior, primarily it's fire mode. :)

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

I'm a big fan of ALiVE too and eagerly awaiting it's next release. Even in single player it's possible to get cut off from reinforcements by opfor flanking maneuvers. It's easy to imagine a small squad scenario where you might be counting bullets until your can be resupplied or exfil'd. Sharing ammo, rearming from vehicles, boxes and dead bodies is a perfectly acceptable part of the tactics in a lot of MY missions (currently working on a 4 man coop/ai, both ALiVE and non versions called "Suicide in Stratis" if the name gives you any idea!) Controlling fire in such a scenario becomes more important, once you realize that the 15 magazines each of your troops carry might have to see them through hours (or even days) of combat.

Edited by Oktyabr

I get an error, saying that unit.sqf not found, I have put the mod in my main folder and I use play six any help would be appreciated.

ok I have some great values if you guys want to try them out................................put this in config file just copy and paste let me know what you think...............................// Description: Bullet penalty

// Triggered: whenever under fire and a close bullet is intercepted

// Effect: Up to 5% of skill penalty is applied

bcombat_penalty_bullet = 7; // (Percent) %

// Description: Flanking penalty

// Triggered: whenever under fire and shooter is firing from flank / back,

// Effect: Adds up to 5% further skill penalty

bcombat_penalty_flanking = 5; // (Percent) %

// Description: Enemy unknown penalty

// Adds further penalty to bcombat_penalty_bullet

// Triggered: whenever under fire, if shooter is unknown

// Effect: Adds up to 5% further skill penalty

bcombat_penalty_enemy_unknown = 7; // (Percent) %

// Description: Enemy contact penalty

// Triggered: on first enemy contact or on further contact after area clear

// Effect: up to 30% skill penalty, due to combat stress

bcombat_penalty_enemy_contact = 25; // (Percent) %

// Description: Explosion / ricochet penalty

// Triggered: on shell exploding nearby, or close ricochet

// Effect: up to 5% skill penalty

bcombat_penalty_explosion = 7; // (Percent) %

// Description: Casualty penalty

// Triggered: when a dead unit from same group is discovered

// Effect: up to 20% skill penalty

bcombat_penalty_casualty = 25; // (Percent) %

// Description: wounds penalty

// Triggered: when a unit gets wounded

// Effect: up to 10% skill penalty

bcombat_penalty_wounded = 15; // (Percent) %

I get an error, saying that unit.sqf not found, I have put the mod in my main folder and I use play six any help would be appreciated.

UNinstall it from six. CLOSE Six. That version is borked somehow. Download it from the link in the first post and unzip it. Follow the simple install instructions. Re-start Six. You should find the version you installed manually in the "Local" Game Folder. Try that.

That first penalty on enemy contact is very high, and you are going to get very shaky troops when they start getting suppressed. I have it lowered to around 10 in my setup.

Of course it all depends on what you set the skill at for your server too.

EDIT: For those trying to install with pws.... DON'T. There is a perfectly good link on Fab's dropbox ...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ccv5jenb3gs7j0c/8ZvymSLMvJ/@bcombat_v0.14_14122013.zip

[vacation mode OFF]

Just peeking around ...

It's a path problem. If unit.sqf is not found you'll mission half of the features, including lowered accuracy.

Was bCombat installed as per install.txt recommendations ? Please verify.

REQUISITES
-------------

* Download and install CBA A3 Beta 4 distribution, get it from here: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cca/files

INSTALLATION
------------

* Extract the bCombat compressed package anywhere.
* Move or copy the "@bcombat" folder from extracted package folder to ArmA 3 main folder, usually: <steam path>\steamapps\common\Arma 3\
* Copy "userconfig" folder to your ArmA 3 main folder (you probably have an existing "userconfig" folder, just overwrite it)
* Launch ArmA 3 and activate bCombat into "Configure / Expansions" menu

NOTES
-----

* Once any mission is launched, bCombat is automatically activated

Already merged into upcoming v0.15.

[vacation mode ON]

It's installed along with all my other mods in my documents/Arma 3, The unit.sqf is in the file. I'll try running it from directly in the arma 3 folder. But that along with no folder for the userconfig file. It seems odd how you install it compared to every single other mod. I'll report back and let you know if that fixes it.

Hello,

I just tested your MOD and I have to say that this one of the best MOD I have seen. This is exactly what was missing in ARMA 3. I was tired of this AI that never get cover and act as fearless robot. Little example today with your MOD :

Simple mission with two groups of infantry. A firefight starts and we get the advantage (thanks to a heavy machingun fire). We kill all the opponents but one managed to flee. We start running after him and we almost lost him. All of a sudden we were under fire. The one that escaped was hidden in a bush and starts fire at us. I get hit. I dive on the ground and I immediately return fire (machingun). I overwhelmed the area I supposed he was hidden with tons of bullets. He takes cover and stop fire at us. My teammate took advantage and finally killed him.

Thank you because, when the guy, hidden in the bush, started fire at us, he would have never stopped fire at us (without to take care of the heavy fire we return). Without the MOD he would have never stop fire and never get cover to protect him against the machingun.

This add a lot of realism and make the firefights far better.

Thank you

It's installed along with all my other mods in my documents/Arma 3, The unit.sqf is in the file. I'll try running it from directly in the arma 3 folder. But that along with no folder for the userconfig file. It seems odd how you install it compared to every single other mod. I'll report back and let you know if that fixes it.

Why are yours mods in MyDocuments? Put all mods/userconfig in the Arma3 directory. This is the reason it is screwing up for you.

Why are yours mods in MyDocuments? Put all mods/userconfig in the Arma3 directory. This is the reason it is screwing up for you.[/QUOT

This is why PWS is a PITA it just does everything it's own way making it hard for less experienced people to manage the whole process. Yes it can be configured (painfully) but why should it insists on being different to the normal way of running mods is anyone's guess. I'm sure there is probably a good reason for it... but I honestly can't think of one. It's even more complicated than the original updater.. at least that displayed everything in a logical manner ! /rant over

SJ

Unless I am FORCED to use pws I avoid it. Those that are having problems, if you have followed the advice given, has it sorted your problems ?

@Oktyabr tried it and still getting same error

Edited by Jdot11

OMG----how hard is it to put @bcombat in your arma 3....just make a folder in your Arma 3 dir name it @bcombat and put all the addons in it and put userconfig in the userconfig file it will want to replace what you have dont worry it wont erase anything. Bing go it should work

^^ if Jdot actually followed the instructions there would be no problem. Everything he needs is already in the zip file. He just needs to drag it (or extract it) to the arma3 root directory.

Then, as long as he has the correct modline -mod=@CBA;@bCombat then it should work.

Right!!!!!

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Kremator how much fps drop do you have when running jsrs,bcombat....when I start my game its 16 and then drops to 14-then 20 back to 14 I have lowered every thing to standard. I also use sweet fx so I dont have problems with rendering. I put shadows to low, my computer specs are........AMD phenom 8400 Triple core processor 2.10ghz

RAM 3.00GB

32 bit vista

Geforce GT 520

@Oktyabr tried it and still getting same error

OK! I figured out a work around for those wanting to use PWS. PWS expects @bcombat (like most mods) to be found in the *mods* directory which is <user name>\Documents\Arma 3\ and that is where it installs it. According to the install directions included with bcombat it NEEDS to find @bcombat in the main game folder, NOT the "mods" directory...

* Move or copy the "@bcombat" folder from extracted package folder to ArmA 3 main folder, usually: <steam path>\steamapps\common\Arma 3\

* Copy "userconfig" folder to your ArmA 3 main folder (you probably have an existing "userconfig" folder, just overwrite it)

Install bcombat with PWS and *copy* the @bcombat folder from the mods directory (in Documents\Arma3\) and paste it into the main game directory as the install instructions indicate. You can then launch bcombat from PWS (CBA_A3 will launch automatically) with no errors. I've reported this to Six so hopefully they will have it corrected soon. :)

That's not a bug or anything to report. You can simply change the mod folder in PWS settings menu to your Arma 3 folder.

That's not a bug or anything to report. You can simply change the mod folder in PWS settings menu to your Arma 3 folder.

It is when PWS doesn't install it to the right folder. The problem is that some mods, such as bcombat, *require* it to be installed to the main game folder. Other mods *expect* to be installed in the Documents folder (I don't know how many break, if any, if moved because I put all of mine in Documents.) It shouldn't be "either/or" folder, it should be both... if PWS aims to install every mod for every player, painlessly.

In my case, for example, PWS should install and launch bcombat from the main games folder automatically. It doesn't.

Conversely I don't understand why a mod can't use relative directory paths so they can be installed *anywhere*, but that's out of the scope of this topic.

Edited by Oktyabr

Shadows should ALWAYS be put high or higher otherwise the CPU renders them !

You CPU is quite low anyway to run Arma3, but I don't get that much of a drop (if at all) with bCombat and certainly not noticeable with Jsrs. You also have a very low amount of RAM barvo too ! That on a laptop? I would advise getting a new PC, for the full Arma3 wonderfulness :)

Yeah its a pc HP...I still get a lot of good action so else am I missing the AI do pretty good considering..