How do you rate your first bCombat experience  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your first bCombat experience

• Very disappointing
    • Mediocre
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very good

Could we customize where the AI waypoint are placed inside buildings?

I find they are really poorly placed.... Is it moddable in any way?

Guys, how i can entirely disable the whole debug, i deleted this line in config file but it's still apears...and its quite annoying for me :)

Fabrizio explained in earlier response.

Becouse of this mod - I'm thinking now about buy arma III :D Tell my guys, how AI behaving in open areas, such forest etc. Do they have any behaviour when they spot a Tank or something ?

Arma AI is the holy grail. The methodical approach Fabrizio is using to design this system is very impressive and make playing Arma 3 Awesome. So yes buy Arma 3. Get this mod, tpw for ambience and fall, JSRS, blastcore, ALiVE. Let us know if you have a life 2 weeks later :-) Oh don't forget the F/A 18, AH-64D, USS Nimitz, Massi units, AISS, FFIS,.etc etc......

Could we customize where the AI waypoint are placed inside buildings?

I find they are really poorly placed.... Is it moddable in any way?

I'd say no, they're fixed.

Also AI does not use any cover within buildings and acts very poorly inside.

When the're lucky they're able to slowly get in and out.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

Guys, how i can entirely disable the whole debug, i deleted this line in config file but it's still apears...and its quite annoying for me :)

here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167288-bCombat-test-candidates&p=2586493&viewfull=1#post2586493

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:03 ----------

Guys it would be nice to see what values people are running and compare to get a idea of good balance of bcombat. Here is mine but not sure yet still tweaking did 2 hours of testing last night changing numbers and all. What I have a problem with is this array thing I will post that to or rather my whole config maybe someone can help me balance this out and get a good fight. One point in tweaking the grenadier shot his grenade launcher in begging of firefight then he didnt use it again so I have no idea what triggered that,but that was nice. Also I should mention I'm new to scripting and coding so I'm learning this like most of you are by testing what works

I'd suggest keeping bcombat_tightened_formation_max_distance over 30 meters.

1.5 is too tight, will make units go back and forth endlessly trying to keep aligned.

Under-barrel grenade launchers are not directly addressed by bCombat.

They may be used a tad more eventually, extremely unlikely less.

However consider that BIS developers are addressing in DEV builds some weapon swithing problems which do exist in ArmA3 v1.08 stable.

Wait for next DEV build though, the current one is broken (selectWeapon not working anymore).

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:08 ----------

thanks for the fix. its working great. lobing it.

i however do agree with a couple comments on that it makes AI way more accurate. im normally shot while hiding behind a tree or rock from 300m away. i usually set AI skill to 0.3 and their aiming to about 0.3 or 0.5 for snipers and have longer firefigths. but here its zap, zap, dead. it's only with bcombat.

could you advise me what changing each of the 4 values in the skill config are? i've tried lowerign things like aim accuracy but no dice.

are class CfgAISkill

{

aimingAccuracy[] = {0,0,1,0.7};

aimingSpeed[] = {0,0.3,0.6,0.5};

aimingShake[] = {0,0,0.7,0.4};

endurance[] = {0,0,1,1};

spotDistance[] = {0,0.1,1,0.5};

spotTime[] = {0,0.2,1,1};

courage[] = {0,0,1,1};

reloadSpeed[] = {0,0.2,1,1};

commanding[] = {0,0.3,1,1};

general[] = {0,0,0.6,0.7};

};

As long as bcombat_config.hpp is being loaded, AI accuracy is capped to max. 70%, which means it's always in average 30% lower than vanilla.

Morale penalties then further reduce it, to about 50% in average.

The fact you changed aimingAccuracy without seeing any differences is suspect (but did you restart the game?).

The few people having problems with high accuracy usually had problems with bcombat_config.hpp not being loaded correctly or being broken by editing.

Would you mind to exit the game, restore original bcombat_config.hpp, re-launch the game and test the same mission (with no other AI mods running)?

Please check CBA are in place too.

If this does not fix the issue then let me know and we'll better investigate.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:14 ----------

Hi fabrizio_t, and sorry for the intrusion. One of your testers found an incompatibility between your Mod and TMR (both in the old unsupported version and the new version cambam47 is working on): apparently your Mod disables all feautures of TMR, save for 2D scopes (that lose their reticles anyway).

A similar post was written in TMR - Alternate thread (link), so if you felt like it you could try and work out the incompatibility with cambam47 himself.

Here is the original incompatibility report. Keep up the good work!

Yay!

As pointed out by Kremator, it may be some kind of event handlers conflict.

bCombat adds EHs for both "fired", "HandleDamage" and "killed" events.

That said, they're simply added, then removed via their own handles, so i don't understand how this can cause any mess.

By the way, excuse my ignorance, what features are broken within TMR?

It may help me better understanding what's going on.

EDIT:

i wrote to cambam47. I've no real clue about thecause of the problem, but it may be CBA EH related.

I suspect the following code:

class Extended_PostInit_EventHandlers {
   class bcombat {
       clientInit = "call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers '\@bcombat\bcombat.sqf'";
   };
}; 

being colliding with:

class tmr_core {
               clientInit = "call compile preProcessFileLineNumbers '\tmr_core\init.sqf'";
       };
};

but afaik, classes being unique, (bcombat vs. tmr_core) it should not ...

Edited by fabrizio_T

This should help people understand kinda how cfgaiskills work and why............................................................

Code:

class cfgAIskills

{

// Attribute[] = {A, B, C, D };

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 1, 0.5 };

aimingShake[] = {0, 0, 1, 1 };

aimingSpeed[] = {0, 0.5, 1, 1 };

endurance[] = {0, 0, 1, 1 };

spotDistance[] = {0, 0.2, 1, 0.4 };

spotTime[] = {0, 0, 1, 0.7 };

courage[] = {0, 0, 1, 1 };

reloadSpeed[] = {0, 0, 1, 1 };

commanding[] = {0, 0, 1, 1 };

general[] = {0, 0, 1, 1 };

};

There are 4 elements to each skill set.

The value of each element can range between 0 and 1

The elements are paired A&B and C&D

1st element in the pair defines the setskill value or Mission editor slider position

2nd element in the pair defines the actual skill value that will be used when Setskill or Mission editor slider is set to the 1st value

A: This defines the skill slider value for the lowest skill setting (Typically this should always be 0)

B: This defines the skill value when the slider or setskill value is "A"

C: This defines the skill slider value for the highest skill setting (Typically this should always be 1)

D: This defines the skill value when the slider or setskill value is "C"

so for example

MyAttribute[]={0, 0.4, 1, 0.9};

If you set the unit skill of myattribute using

unit setskill ["myattribute",1];

The unit will have an actual skill level for "myattribute" of 0.9

if you defined

unit setskill ["myattribute",0.5];

The unit will have an actual skill of 0.65 (Halfway between the lower value of 0.4 and the higher value of 0.9)

Arma AI is the holy grail. The methodical approach Fabrizio is using to design this system is very impressive and make playing Arma 3 Awesome. So yes buy Arma 3. Get this mod, tpw for ambience and fall, JSRS, blastcore, ALiVE. Let us know if you have a life 2 weeks later :-) Oh don't forget the F/A 18, AH-64D, USS Nimitz, Massi units, AISS, FFIS,.etc etc......

Thanks, i just deleted half of requied lines. I buyed arma 3 yesterday (i'm old ofp-arma player). In fact the AI behave is much much better, and i got some suggestions. The bdetect is working well, but it will be nice to see, that if AI getting suppresed in one place over and over, they need to retreat - and try to flank. I have done some testing, and in almost all cases AI just try to push on supressed positions - they doing it much more slower and carrefouly than in vanilla but in some of my tests they been killed becouse of this.

One more feature - that it will be nice to see, is something like we saw in ASR mods...i mean - if we have a rpg gunner in squad, and he falls - one of hes teammates need to take his launcher, same thing can be done with machinegun etc. Like in real army :)

And one more thing...AI sometimes taking cover in wrong side of an object - but its probably core Arma issue.

Also you can take a look at this mod. Looks preety impresive but...what its sad, its probably never be relased do general public, only for some hardcore ultra supersonic groups :)

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTOJWvzvTL6hTTO5S20vSw

Ok FAB I have done some testing today and find when I take a shot at the ai with suppressed weapon, and about 400 yards out they hear me or see me so I turned hearing off and restarted and still they found me after one shot. Also wonder if the enemy have rpgs why dont they use them to takeout buildings I'm standing in. I'm thinking that maybe the arma problem not bcombat but the spotting or hearing thing really ticks me off and suggestions I also brought the spotting down spotDistance[] = {0,0.1,1,0.5}; ......So Fab or anyone can you help thanks

Ok FAB I have done some testing today and find when I take a shot at the ai with suppressed weapon, and about 400 yards out they hear me or see me so I turned hearing off and restarted and still they found me after one shot. Also wonder if the enemy have rpgs why dont they use them to takeout buildings I'm standing in. I'm thinking that maybe the arma problem not bcombat but the spotting or hearing thing really ticks me off and suggestions I also brought the spotting down spotDistance[] = {0,0.1,1,0.5}; ......So Fab or anyone can you help thanks

When i downloaded bcombat today, i saw there is a core mod @ folder, and userconfig. In arma 2, for every mod that have userconfig, there is separate userconfig folder. So when we have mod, for example @GL4, the patch in user config should be userconfig/gl4/. In bcombat .rar, we dont have separate folder for a config file, its just like userconfig/bcombat.hpp - when i saw it i almost automaticly created new folder in user config /userconfig/bcombat and placed hpp file there. And everything works fine for me. Maybe it is the issue ?

Sorry for my english...and sorry if im wrong :)

Good question potemps... I did both just to be sure, one in the root and one in a bcombat folder. Fab let us know which is actually the right way.

Looking forward to see this develop. Happy to test 15 on our COOP dedicated version as per 14 if you like ?

SJ

I think i just confirmed it myself, i placed hpp just in root folder, and AI now have terminator accuracy.

When i downloaded bcombat today, i saw there is a core mod @ folder, and userconfig. In arma 2, for every mod that have userconfig, there is separate userconfig folder. So when we have mod, for example @GL4, the patch in user config should be userconfig/gl4/. In bcombat .rar, we dont have separate folder for a config file, its just like userconfig/bcombat.hpp - when i saw it i almost automaticly created new folder in user config /userconfig/bcombat and placed hpp file there. And everything works fine for me. Maybe it is the issue ?

Sorry for my english...and sorry if im wrong :)

Expected path for bcombat_config.hpp is:

[color="#FF0000"][size=2][b]<Arma 3 folder>\userconfig\bcombat_config.hpp[/b][/size][/color]

If you put it anywhere different i think it won't load correctly.

In my case, when launching the game and having bcombat_config.hpp absent or incorrectly placed a popup error appears, but it seems that for some people this does not happen.

So please stick with the above instructions.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Ok that's clear.

I Will remove the extra folder. For reference this is the first mod I've come across that does this in a different way - might cause some confusion on release.

SJ

Hmm, ok but it need to be problem somewhere in this userconfig, i just tested it, when i place this in /userconfig/bcombat everything works fine, and AI behave very nice. When i put this on /userconfig/ AI behaviour is still good but they have an eagle eye and accuracy like real bad-ass western characters.

Hmm, ok but it need to be problem somewhere in this userconfig, i just tested it, when i place this in /userconfig/bcombat everything works fine, and AI behave very nice. When i put this on /userconfig/ AI behaviour is still good but they have an eagle eye and accuracy like real bad-ass western characters.

Can you please do the following:

1) Exit the game

2) Place bcombat_config.hpp into the expected position: <Arma 3 folder>\userconfig\bcombat_config.hpp

3) remove any other bcombat_config.hpp files from any other folders

4) open @bcombat/config.sqf and add, at the very bottom this debugging code:

hintc format["%1", getArray(configFile >> "CfgAISkill" >> "aimingAccuracy") ];

5) Run the game and launch any missions.

A popup should appear, showing the exact readings from the aimingAccuracy line of your bcombat_config.hpp.

Do they match? If not, what's the popup reading ?

Maybe [0,0,1,1] ?

Thank you for you patience, sadly i can't debug it myself because i haven't the issue.

---------- Post added at 19:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:00 ----------

Ok that's clear.

For reference this is the first mod I've come across that does this in a different way - might cause some confusion on release.

SJ

Ok thanks, i'll change the way it works for next releases.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Can you please do the following:

1) Exit the game

2) Place bcombat_config.hpp into the expected position: <Arma 3 folder>\userconfig\bcombat_config.hpp

3) remove any other bcombat_config.hpp files from any other folders

4) open @bcombat/config.sqf and add, at the very bottom this debugging code:

hintc format["%1", getArray(configFile >> "CfgAISkill" >> "aimingAccuracy") ];

5) Run the game and launch any missions.

A popup should appear, showing the exact readings from the aimingAccuracy line of your bcombat_config.hpp.

Do they match? If not, what's the popup reading ?

Maybe [0,0,1,1] ?

Thank you for you patience, sadly i can't debug it myself because i haven't the issue.

It shows

[0,0,1,0.7]

It shows

[0,0,1,0.7]

Then it should be ok and play fine.

Care to playtest it a few minutes ?

NOTE: please remove debugging code added to config.sqf.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Fabrizio, consider a hint that says userconfig missing

In my case game (1.08 stable) shows a popup error at launch, what i don't understand is why it's not showing up for everybody.

i wrote to cambam47. I've no real clue about thecause of the problem, but it may be CBA EH related.

I suspect the following code:

class bcombat {
   };
}; 

being colliding with:

class tmr_core {
       };
};

but afaik, classes being unique, (bcombat vs. tmr_core) it should not ...

I have no ArmA modding experience, but what would happen with a merged

class tmr_core {
       };

class bcombat {
       };
};

Provided it is possible that is.

Yay!

Gliptal, you need to know if TMR is adding eventhandlers or overwriting. As Fab says bCombat isn't overwriting, so most likely a problem with TMR. I seem to recall a problem with TMR back in the past but it was fixed, with a latest version of TMR. Maybe I'm confusing it with another mod. Lemme check....

I have no ArmA modding experience, but what would happen with a merged

class tmr_core {
       };

class bcombat {
       };
};

Provided it is possible that is.

Yay!

Not possible, sorry.

Then it should be ok and play fine.

Care to playtest it a few minutes ?

NOTE: please remove debugging code added to config.sqf.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

In my case game (1.08 stable) shows a popup error at launch, what i don't understand is why it's not showing up for everybody.

Nope, i got terminator accuracy again...skill settings in game is set to 0,70 and dificulty is veteran.

Nope, i got terminator accuracy again...skill settings in game is set to 0,70 and dificulty is veteran.

Ok it's really weird.

You got bcombat_config.hpp correctly loaded, we checked and the readings were correct: [0,0,1,0.7].

This means that about a 30% accuracy reduction gets applied, compared to vanilla.

Now if you comment or remove all the stuff from bcombat_config.hpp you will get back to vanilla settings, which are [0,0,1,1].

This means AI will be much more accurate than now.

I'm running out of options, this does not make sense (scratching head) ...

EDIT: do you have any other mods installed and initialized before bCombat?

Edited by fabrizio_T

@Gliptal ... I haven't been able to find any incompatibility between bCombat and any mod (especially TMR_alt). There musts be something wrong with your mate's setup.

Cheers

Krem

Ok FAB I have done some testing today and find when I take a shot at the ai with suppressed weapon, and about 400 yards out they hear me or see me so I turned hearing off and restarted and still they found me after one shot.

I'll doublecheck this, it may be a bDetect issue with silencers + not subsonic ammo.

EDIT:

Question: a bullet fired from a suppressed MX travels at about 800m/s.

Is AI supposed to hear it whizzling by at 5m. max. distance?

I'd say yes (it's ordinary ammo), but have no real experience with this situation.

Edited by fabrizio_T

@Gliptal ... I haven't been able to find any incompatibility between bCombat and any mod (especially TMR_alt). There musts be something wrong with your mate's setup.

Cheers

Krem

Thank you very much for the report!

Yay!