How do you rate your first bCombat experience  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your first bCombat experience

• Very disappointing
    • Mediocre
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very good

my Only response is that bCombat is to be tested by itself..

Yes of course I did not mean to imply I'd be testing both at the same time :p

This is exactly the sort of modification that keeps me coming back. If you still need any testers I'd be more than willing to help :)

Best,

~frogs

Gentlemen,

please check your private messages.

You should have received a link to the private testing version of bCombat.

Let me know if not.

Now, not boring you anymore, just let me add the following:

* You need CBA to run it

* bCombat is SP (Single Player) only currently.

* Optimization is limited: you need a good rig to run it as it will put some strain during combat (i'd suggest not exceeding 100 units per-battlefield)

* Please test the mod without other mods running. At least at first. THis should help finding issues.

* Most of the scripts are not pbo'ed, so you may take a look into them if you wish.

* Some bCombat features have been disabled in order to be more mission (campaign?) firendly. They're in however, more info will come on how to activate them.

* By default bCombat runs on any WEST/EAST/INDIPENDENT foot units (even spawned), so you may play any existing missions.

* Remember bCombat runs only for foot units (it's suspended when they get into vehicles).

Happy testing and do not hurry: i'd like to collect your feedback till November 10th., before moving on.

First impressions / media / whatever still welcome.

Have a nice WE.

EDIT: re-posting here all features information:

FIRE & MOVEMENT

Regarding Fire & Movement, here is bCombat approach:

* As per ArmA3 default behaviour, fire has usually priority over movement.
* Whenever a MOVE order is issued to a unit being NOT under fire, movementis prioritized over firing (a single notable exception is CQB).
* Whenever under fire, shooting MAY take priority on movement, given all these criteria:

* Target is known
* Target is in line of sight
* Distance is compatible with weapon range
* Unit skill and morale are high enough
* Unit is not moving, or moving slowly, or movement direction is not much divergent with line of fire

FIRE & MOVEMENT vs. MORALE & SKILL 

Morale and base unit Skill do intersecate Fire & Movement behaviour:

* Low base skill or low morale limit unit probability to return fire, so they end up prioritizing movement (escape) against fire

FIRE HANDLING

After one of these events is triggered:

* CORE AI "Can Fire" event
* SCRIPTED AI "Suppression" event

A unit will evaluate whether opening fire, depending on the concepts explained above.
Whenever shooting is cosidered the best viable solution, a fire task is issued to the unit.
So let's talk about tasks.

TASKS

Tasks are scripts spawned at runtime, taking care of making custom actions.
They normally live just a handful of seconds.

Here is the task logic:

* A Task gets a type and a priority level.
* A a single unit can run just ONE task at once.
* A higher priority task will override and terminate a currently active lower priority task.
* A Lower priority task activation is refused whenever a higher priority task is active.

The only task type currently implemented in bCombat is the "Fire" task.
More task types may be declared and plugged in.

FIRE TASK

Whenever a unit is required to shoot on a target, a fire task is issued:

* Unit is ordered to stop
* Unit is ordered to open fire

if unit does shoot, as expected, task remains active till either:

* unit dead
* target dead
* up to 2 seconds after last bullet fired or max timeout (about 10 seconds)
* higher priority task overriding

if unit fails opening fire within an opportunity window of about 2 seconds, task is dropped and unit is un-stopped.

It's important to notice that a fire task may be issued with different priorities:

* shooting a target of opportunity is a medium priority
* returning fire is a higher priority

This ensures the unit will be able instantly to stop firing at a target of opportunity whenever threatened.

STANCE HANDLING

By default, stance handling in ArmA 3 uses quite a bit of randomization.
This is clunky, as well as ineffective in pitched combat.

How is bCombat making it better?

You know the drill: basically any unit is made aware of being under fire, so it goes prone as needed.
However that's not enough. There's plenty of other situations to be handled, if you think a moment about it.

For instance, you may consider there should be a relation between speed of movement and stance:

* a unit should be always allowed to stand up in order to be briefly able to sprint, as needed. Good for assaulting, or evading enemy.
* a unit should prefer staying low when not moving and in danger, for example when returning fire

Then, you may consider there should also be a relation between stance and distance from enemy:

* a unit should prefer crouching to going prone, in CQB
* when being fired upon from distance while moving, it may be useless going prone as well, since that would slow down movement

By default bCombat implements the above basic concepts.
It closely cohoperates with vanilla stance handling, taking control in fighting situations.

bCombat stance handling kicks in due to triggered events and acts this way:

* Depending on triggered event type, it binds stance handling to 3 different progressive timeouts (e.g. 5 seconds, 30 seconds, 60 seconds):

* 1st timeout = Critical danger (usually a few seconds from last event)

* Unit is ordered to keep down till timeout expire.
	* Unit may switch to crouch when crawling fast enough, in order to allow for faster evading.
	* Unit should go prone when idle (=not moving), preferring to crouch in CQB 
  	* This timeout is non-zero just for some special event types, for instance the "suppression" event, meaning unit is just under fire

* 2nd timeout = High danger:  (usually up to tenths of seconds from last event)

* Unit is ordered to keep low (crouch), till timeout expire.
	* Unit may stand up briefly to sprint, in order to allow for faster evading.
	* Unit should go prone when idle (=not moving), preferring to crouch in CQB 

* 3rd timeout = Moderate danger:  (usually up to tenths of seconds from last event)

* Default ArmA3 stance handling kicks in again

* Newly triggered events manipulate existing timeouts, stance handling is updated accordingly

EVENTS

bCombat is mostly event driven. 
It deals with two kind of events:

SCRIPTED AI events

These events are generated by bCombat itself.
At the moment the only event of this type is the "suppression" event, raised whenever a unit gets under enemy fire.

CORE AI events

While many core infantry AI mechanics are buried deep into engine, some events are exposed into a special .fsm file, named danger.fsm, which kicks in in danger mode.
It exposes events for:

* enemy contact
* firing visible
* unit being hit
* close enemy detected
* close explosion
* dead body detected (friendly or enemy)
* unit screaming in pain
* unit "can fire" on enemy

Each event comes with its own priority level. 
However, when i originally dealt with default danger.fsm, i spotted these sensible problems:

* Some event priorities look messed up (e.g. "can fire" priority too low)
* It's taking care of the topmost priority event only, discarding others
* The topmost priority event is discarded too, except for the "can fire" event

Speaking of the "can fire" event (which basically means enemy unit detected and in line of sight), the triggering unit is scripted to stop (forcespeed=0) from 4 to 8 seconds (random). 
That stopping is sometimes undesirable to me, since:

* it may cause drag into group movement, penalizing overall movement speed
* it is not a good all-around solution, failing in many situations (e.g. it slows units which are flanking)

So i decided to tweak the original default danger.fsm this way:

* reworking event priorities
* taking always care of ALL raised events, not only topmost priority, then cumulating them in form of effects on "morale"
* reworking "can fire" event handling

EVENTS HANDLING

Within bCombat all the collected  events, whatever their type or origin, are pipelined into a custom scripted .fsm file (suppression.fsm).
This .fsm file takes care of applying morale effects, in term of applying penalization or recovery.
I will tell about morale later, since it diffusely affects AI units behaviour.

AWARENESS

bCombat is not supposed to "cheat" in order to make AI more effective.
It enhances AI awareness by making units:

* automatically switch to danger mode, upon enemy events

* acquire targets faster: line of sight, "knowsabout", perceived position and simulated peripheral vision in order to disclose threats, upon enemy events

* detect being under fire

* react to situation by changing stance

* dynamically prioritize fire or movement

* open fire aggressively, as soon as possible, on both threats and targets of opportunity

* switch targets more efficiently, due to task prioritization

* hear light weapons shots from distance [ALPHA feature]

* Silenced weapons excluded
* Units get alerted within a given radius (up to 400m.) from the shooting unit
* [simplification] Maximum hearing radius is calculated as a fraction of bullet speed
* alerted unit automatically switch to combat mode
* alerted unit may look towards general direction of the gunshot

All these AI enhancements are applied in a "fuzzy" way, due some light randomization based off unit skill and morale level.
This should help making AI units less predicable, meaning more human-alike.

MORALE

"Events" are senses, morale is "nerves".
Morale is the residual combat efficiency of the soldier, afters some penalty is applied.
This penalty is a weighted effect of events.

MORALE PENALTIES

Each and every event type may convey morale penalty. 
Some examples:

* enemy contact, being hit or a dead squaddie all cause, to varying degree, a sensible morale hit.
* Being under fire or enemy in sight both convey a mild morale hit, which further varies depending on:

* knowledge of the shooter: fire from an unknown source (e.g. sniper fire) will add to the morale penalty
* angle of fire: being fired from flank or back (e.g. ambush) adds to morale penalty

Morale penalties are not evenly applied, they're mitigated by skill: the higher the skill, the lower is the penalty (and viceversa).

MORALE RECOVERY

Units whose morale was penalized progressively recover it, as long as no further events hit them.
Morale recovery rate is proportional to skill: so it's faster for highly skilled units (and viceversa).
However all wounded units suffer a relented morale recovery rate.

MORALE EFFECTS ON AI BEHAVIOUR

As long as morale is full, any unit takes advantage from bCombat enhancements, roughly in proportion to its skill.
The more an unit is exposed to enemy event, the less it's able to use abilities:

* light morale penalty (STRESS), 0% up to 25% penalty

* unit moves slower, trying to stay low
	* unit engages targets of opportunity
	* unit spends time to return fire
	* unit suffers light penalty in firing accuracy, courage and spotting distance

* medium morale penalty (FEAR), 25% up to 50% penalty

* unit still engages targets of opportunity
	* unit spends less time to return fire, trying getting into cover instead
	* unit suffers medium penalty in firing accuracy, courage and spotting distance

* high morale penalty (PANIC), 50% up to 75% penalty

* unit still engages some targets of opportunity
	* unit seldomly returns fire, trying getting into cover instead
	* unit suffers medium penalty in firing accuracy and spotting distance

* critical morale penalty (SHOCKED / BROKEN), 75% up to 100% penalty

* unit may stick (pinned) or move around blindly
	* unit ignores most targets and usually avoids returning fire
	* unit suffers high penalty in firing accuracy, courage and spotting distance
	* unit may flee
	* unit may surrender if fired upon from close distance [ALPHA feature]

Edited by fabrizio_T

Playing campaign as of now ... looks like bCombat raised the bar quite a bit.

I was killed half a dozen times.

^^ i will not worry too much about that :)

as native AI improvements are expected to come about, toning down of some of their inhuman capabilities should balance it out

i'm about to begin testing too. Just making a coffee and reading your post on what what to expect from it...

I've played a few of the BI scenarios plus some of my own and my first impression is that bCombat makes the AI much more cautious. In Combat mode, they stick to cover a lot better and get down really, really fast when under fire, so you really have to make your first shots count.

I don't know if you've done anything specific with regards the use of buildings, but the AI in one of my test missions actually used a building to their advantage in a way I've never seen in A3 (i.e., they entered a building and stopped, facing a window and engaged the enemy from within the building - image).

The flanking seems much improved, too. The AI will often send at least one soldier to flank an enemy position. However, the reaction time of the soldier doing the flanking is often not as good as the soldiers being flanked, and he often winds up dead, negating the advantage he had gained.

I haven't tested with more than 20 AI so far, but I haven't notice any kind of performance hit.

The only strange behaviour I've seen is that the AI can sometime bunch up when they make first contact, especially in an urban environment. They bunch up, tripping over each other a bit, and then get a handle on the situation and start moving in better formation.

I'm not sure if this will be added in the future, but the AI currently don't seem to react to sounds of gunfire -- they only really react if a shot lands/passes close to them.

I've played a few of the BI scenarios plus some of my own and my first impression is that bCombat makes the AI much more cautious. In Combat mode, they stick to cover a lot better and get down really, really fast when under fire, so you really have to make your first shots count.

Good to hear, this was expected.

So you confirm no side-effects with your scenarios?

Any errors popping up?

I don't know if you've done anything specific with regards the use of buildings, but the AI in one of my test missions actually used a building to their advantage in a way I've never seen in A3 (i.e., they entered a building and stopped, facing a window and engaged the enemy from within the building - image).

bCombat does not make units move into buildings itself (currently).

They may go through if their pathfinding gets them there.

However it does make them fire inside / outside if clear LOS exists.

Nice screenshot!

Flanking seems much improved, too. The AI will often send at least one soldier to flank an enemy position. However, the reaction time of the soldier doing the flanking is often not as good as the soldiers being flanked, and he often winds up dead, negating the advantage he had gained.

Flanking is better due to movement being prioritized over fire, but we have to find the sweet spot (noted), as well as for anything else.

I haven't tested with more than 20 AI so far, but I haven't notice any kind of performance hit.

20 isn't much, really.

The only strange behaviour I've seen is that the AI can sometime bunch up when they make first contact, especially in an urban environment. They bunch up, tripping over each other a bit, and then get a handle on the situation and start moving in better formation.

They probably detect the enemy at roughly the same spot, hence they stop there.

We need a bit more AI fuzziness, or -better- some kind of unit proximity control. Noted.

I'm not sure if this will be added in the future, but the AI currently don't seem to react to sounds of gunfire -- they only really react if a shot lands/passes close to them.

They do react to both bullets passing by and nearby ground hits.

Gunfire hearing is disabled per default, just open bcombat.sqf and change:

if(isNil "bcombat_allow_hearing") then { bcombat_allow_hearing = false; }; 

to

if(isNil "bcombat_allow_hearing") then { bcombat_allow_hearing = true; }; 

Thank you for feedback, sir.

Keep it coming.

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

After a couple hours of (frustrating, OFP-like) campaign playing i've noted some balancing issues:

* AI ability to return fire is slightly overdone.

* AI is being suppressed a bit too fast (a few bullets achieve high effect).

* Overall AI shooting accuracy -on normal difficulty- seems a bit too high (or i am getting old).

I wonder if anybody agrees.

Edited by fabrizio_T

My first impressions:

Positive

-Movement and use of crouching run makes the AI look very human.

-Stance and movement speed when engaged seems far less random than vanilla and more tailored to the situation - i.e. the AI will sprint to cover a large distance to get to cover or will move in a crouch to move shorter distances to cover.

-AI acting far less like brainless bots and give the impression they are responding with a sense of purpose

Issues

-Only one issue spotted so far and that is that AI squad leaders are very suicidal compared with vanilla.

When acting on a move waypoint (using wedge formation) and engaged I've noticed that AI squad leaders quickly outpace the rest of the squad and end up being isolated and without support. The rest of the squad are getting far more spread out than in vanilla and are unable to keep up with the squad leader during an engagement.

In a vanilla engagement bounding overwatch tends to kick in and the AI squad members will take turns on point and will usually stay near enough the squad leader to provide fire support. With bCombat active the squad leader is almost always in the lead. He also has a tendancy to sprint ahead while the rest of the squad pick their way forward cautiously.

* AI ability to return fire is slightly overdone. - Agree

* AI is being suppressed a bit too fast (a few bullets achieve high effect). - Agree

* Overall AI shooting accuracy -on normal difficulty- seems a bit too high (or i am getting old). - They are definately lethal

Edited by stun

Good to hear, this was expected.

So you confirm no side-effects with your scenarios?

Any errors popping up?

No side effects and no errors. In fact, I'd say the missions play as intended, but with better AI and fire fights. My teammates certainly seem to live a lot longer with bCombat installed. I especially noticed this on the Combined Arms showcase and the Infantry showcase, as well as one of my own missions where I rarely make it to the end.

Gunfire hearing is disabled per default, just open bcombat.sqf and change:

if(isNil "bcombat_allow_hearing") then { bcombat_allow_hearing = false; }; 

to

if(isNil "bcombat_allow_hearing") then { bcombat_allow_hearing = true; }; 

Good to know - thanks! I can see this affecting missions more, though not necessarily breaking them.

I think vanilla accuracy is too high and bCombat tones it down a bit, which is great.

Overall, I'm really enjoying using bCombat so far. I'm going to see how allow_hearing changes things when I get a chance. Thanks for sharing!

Yep, looking great so far... mainly I play as an observer, looking at the AI... I'll try to be a subordinate later on, and then as a squad leader. Havent found any bugs yet... I'll just echo what everyone just said :D

Good job fabrizio_T

Only had 15 minutes to test before taking my kids to the beach today, but in that time I was thoroughly impressed with what I saw.

Loved the focus on moment, for example a squad moving into enemy occupied town, they get detected just outside of town. Instead of the usual getting bogged down, outflanked and subsequently defeated, the squad rushed into the villa taking up logical defensive positions and postures, took the initiative to bring the fight to the enemy and overcame them.

The other test involved me sniping a fire team from afar. Again they avoided fire by going to ground and made excellent pace as they moved to positions for engagement.

Look forward to extensively testing this INITIAL release. I think your onto some gold here fab!

I have been very impressed so far. The AI move faster, stick together well and use cover more effectively it seems. I have tested on tvig0r0us Urban Combat and it is the best Arma3 experience so far. I then hooked up my usual Virtual Training System by L Etranger (and yes I know it is MP, but I'm playing it solo) and placed a lot of troops and watched the combat in camera mode. Firefights were deadlier with more concentrated fire. The AI also seemed to move in a more human way.

Continuing to test. Good job so far.

just got home and i have a busy weekend ill be testing when i can and posting my results asap!! Thanks for the opportunity!

More testing again .... as I said before the AI are moving in a more human fashion. The only thing missing now, apart from maybe tweaking some timings, is the throwing of grenades and smoke, and proper medical care. I'm sure that will come in time.

Really enjoying this experience so far.

If I could throw some suggestion, maybe you could do some "react to contact" behavior?

If got into contact, then go to combat behavior, hold up for a bit to look for the enemy.

If enemy is found setFormation "LINE" and continue contact.

After contact is over, resume mission in original behavior, speed and formation before contact. Is this within bCombat scope? or is it in the bCommand scope?

Thanks for feedback.

I've already noted a few issues.

I'm really glad that many people noticed about the more "human-alike" feeling of AI.

Having units behave more human, as effect of morale, is indeed the final target of this mod.

I mean AI should be able to behave BETTER than vanilla as well as WORSE, depending on situation.

Both cases are equally important order to successfully apply tactics o the battlefield.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

If I could throw some suggestion, maybe you could do some "react to contact" behavior?

If got into contact, then go to combat behavior, hold up for a bit to look for the enemy.

If enemy is found setFormation "LINE" and continue contact.

After contact is over, resume mission in original behavior, speed and formation before contact. Is this within bCombat scope? or is it in the bCommand scope?

I'm afraid that tactically switching to LINE on contact would be dangerous.

When you spot some enemy, you can't be sure there's more anywhere, maybe on flank.

Wedge formation is some kind of all-around solution.

I think LINE formation would be good in 2 cases:

* Ambush

* Assaulting, within multi-group ops

However that's in the bCommand (decision-making) scope.

EDIT:

by the way, on contact AI groups do actually switch to danger mode and units briefly go prone, then crouch moving to cover.

On contact they also suffer some sensible morale hit, which simulates combat stress and it's absorbed within some time.

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Issues

-Only one issue spotted so far and that is that AI squad leaders are very suicidal compared with vanilla.

When acting on a move waypoint (using wedge formation) and engaged I've noticed that AI squad leaders quickly outpace the rest of the squad and end up being isolated and without support. The rest of the squad are getting far more spread out than in vanilla and are unable to keep up with the squad leader during an engagement.

In a vanilla engagement bounding overwatch tends to kick in and the AI squad members will take turns on point and will usually stay near enough the squad leader to provide fire support. With bCombat active the squad leader is almost always in the lead. He also has a tendancy to sprint ahead while the rest of the squad pick their way forward cautiously.

Nice find, i overlooked this.

i'd like to revert to vanilla fire vs. movement prioritization for leaders (and formation leaders) only.

That will somewhat slow groups a little bit, but it will be worth in terms of leader survivability.

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

I think vanilla accuracy is too high and bCombat tones it down a bit, which is great.

Yes, overall accuracy is lowered in average, as a combined effect of capped maximum accuracy and morale penalties.

You can further further experiment with maximum accuracy, in Zeus AI style, by tweaking "CfgAISkill" / "AimingAccuracy" into your "/userconfig/bcombat_config.hpp" file.

Game restart is needed though.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I've looked into this a bit more and noticed that the greatest danger period for the squad leader seems to be after they call "area clear". The SL has a tendancy to sprint at max speed without caution as soon as he calls area clear. The rest of the squad still act cautiously for a while and so end up being far away from the leader. In my test missions this means that after the initial engagement the SL runs off on his own straight into the next set of enemies.

Hopefully reverting the priorities for leaders will do the trick.

I suspect bcombat is at times causing some input lag/FPS drops on my system - probably due to the extra scripting overhead- do you have much scope to optimise it further down the line? Of course this could be due to changes to yesterday's dev branch, so I will do some further testing with vanilla. Specs: i7 930 @4Ghz 8 GB ram ati 5870.

Edited by stun

Took it for a quick spin this morning and will just echo what others have said - no errors or issues detected. Tried in vanilla as well as with some mods (no AI-related ones).

Do you want us changing any of the default settings or is that a no-no for testing? :p I turned on the debug stuff and the allow_hearing option.

Should we also try with AI mods like ASR_AI or tpwcas?

ASR_AI and tpwcas would prolly interfere with bCombat functioning. Would be worth a test, but feedback wouldn't be too useful to Fab.

Yes..

The result of this work will probably mix both mods-Pros and probably will add additional depth on behavior.

I m REALLY curious.

Hi gentlemen,

about testing: i'd like to have any technical and gameplay issues with default configuration sorted as top priority, hence testing the default package without mods is the no.1 priority as of now.

Next priority would be careful features balancing.

This does not imply any experimenting is discouraged: on the contrary tweaking features, difficulty settings and fiddling with files is welcome, as long as it's done separately from normal testing.

That said, i'm sure mods such as TPWCAS will collide with bCombat. I'm not sure about ASR_AI, but i guess there would be some problems too.

However it's just too soon to look in mod compatibility, we're dealing with some codebase (bCombat) which is not to be considered stable itself.

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:24 ----------

Yes..

The result of this work will probably mix both mods-Pros and probably will add additional depth on behavior.

I m REALLY curious.

ASR_AI and tpwcas would prolly interfere with bCombat functioning. Would be worth a test, but feedback wouldn't be too useful to Fab.

Mixing stuff the hard way would probably cause getting half features working from one side, half from another, as well as much unneeded overhead.

Imho best way to deal with compatibility would be planning it with other authors, who have full know-how on their creations.

At the moment is just too early for that, as we are just shaking down the very first version of a mod.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

I suspect bcombat is at times causing some input lag/FPS drops on my system - probably due to the extra scripting overhead- do you have much scope to optimise it further down the line? Of course this could be due to changes to yesterday's dev branch, so I will do some further testing with vanilla. Specs: i7 930 @4Ghz 8 GB ram ati 5870.

Le me know.

Theoretically, it may cause some drag is you run 100+ units on the same battlefield.

I'm running myself missions featuring 80+ units on my laptop (e.g. Assault on Charkia), with decent FPS average.

A desktop should handle way more.

I'm considering to include in the package some benchmarking utilities in order to make vanilla comparison as meaningful as possible.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

The only thing missing now, apart from maybe tweaking some timings, is the throwing of grenades and smoke, and proper medical care. I'm sure that will come in time.

Both grenade and smoke grenade throwing were into FlexAI.

I find grenade throwing especially important in CQB and default ArmA3 behaviour is quite poor.

However it's quite difficult to code grenade throwing effectively, as you have to check trajectory is free and deal with animations.

However i think some old code revamping would be possible, we'll see where we can get.

Never fiddled with healing.

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

By the way, if you care, please post some media such as screenshots or short videos.

I'd like to check out the latter especially, i find them very useful for spotting good / bad behaviour.

Edited by fabrizio_T

DAP has a great first aid, but again, during this testing phase don't want to add anything else in.

Just finished another mission there with debug balls added. Looks good.

Just finished another mission there with debug balls added. Looks good.

Care to test campaign?