Sign in to follow this  
KEVINMGXP

Task markers and distance to target not showing in game or on map.

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with my task markers which are not showing up correctly on the map, I will try to explain here what I actually want to do.

In arma 2 you could for as far as I know just put up an invisible marker and name it if you put the same name in the init.sqf it would actually show up on the map or at least that is how I understand how it works so i thought that it would work in a similar way when you actually use a actual target in arma3, or at least that how I think it should logically work. I know a little basics. But I am sure that I am doing something wrong along the way ...

Anyway this mission will start of as a lone wolf where you need to infiltrate an enemy occupied zone and take out 3 targets to start ...

I have 3 tasks which are:

1: destroying a communication tower.

2: Destroying a mobile AA armor unit.

3: Destroying the enemy air power in the operation area, which is grounded for now.

4: the 4th trigger is meant to trigger a friendly hello drop where the rest of your team will be inserted after all 3 targets are taken out, the plan is to let that trigger do the following

* A hello insertion of the rest of your team accompanied and supported by a gunship ..

* it will need to create a new task to inform the player to hide and wait for reinforcements, for the time being the player will need to survive till the friendly gun ship will help you out and the rest of your team will be dropped of to help you and clear the enemy bases ...

* the 4th task will be complete when your team joins up with you and a new task has to be created to secure the area of enemy presence to gain a stronger foothold on altis ...

this will be the first mission of the little campaign I am working on so any help would be appreciated ;)

for now the tasks look like this ..

[player, "tskDestroyOpfAIR", ["Enemy Air Support may give us trouble when not dealt with it accordingly you need to be destroy it before we send in our main force","Destroy the Air cover!", "Enemy Air support!"], OpfAIR, false, 3] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;
[player, "tskDestroyOpfAA", ["The enemy Anti Air Defense need to be destroyed, our bird spotted it in the vicinity of the small enemy base","Destroy the AA Defense!", "Enemy Anti Air site!"], OpfAA, false, 2] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;
[player, "tskDestroyOpfCOM", ["The enemy has a communication tower North West of Galati which needs to be destroyed, it is advised to do this prior to the destruction of the enemy Anti Air Defenses.","Destroy the Com tower!", "Enemy communication tower!"], OpfCOM, true, 1] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;

I've putted 4 triggers 3 of them are supposed to check up with the above tasks code which will pop a task succeeded "this works to a certain degree" when the targets are destroyed. the 4th trigger needs to trigger when the 3 targets are taken out. I will need to link most likely another trigger to the 4th trigger later on which will then create a new task and synchronize that trigger with a gun ship and a ghost hawk to insert the rest of my team. but I am encountering some problems with the current tasks and markers which are not showing up on the map when you have some distance towards those targets, so there is no indication for the player what so ever where to go.

I can place individual markers on the map to guide the player to this targets but I rather don't want to do it like that, I had hoped that when I did it like this that the player will just see a marker pop up in game with the distance to its target like it was in arma 2, "and it does but only of you are close enough to the targets".

So in fact it works but not when you have a huge distance from the targets ...

secondly the task order seems to be screwed for some reason when I destroy the first target which is the com tower the task order shifts to the 3th target while it needs to go from 1 to 2 it goes from 1 to 3 ...

if anyone knows whatever what I am doing wrong and can help me in the right direction to solve this then it will be certainly appreciated from my end...

thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by LiquitHQ

I would HIGHLY recommend having a look at the following task manager:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21970

It's a task manager called TaskMaster 2, created by Shuko

It's a lifesaving tool that has helped me many many times, and it will probably be easier than building it yourself. It may take a bit of time to implement it, but it's worth it!

If you need any help in using it, let me know!

I would HIGHLY recommend having a look at the following task manager:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21970

It's a task manager called TaskMaster 2, created by Shuko

It's a lifesaving tool that has helped me many many times, and it will probably be easier than building it yourself. It may take a bit of time to implement it, but it's worth it!

If you need any help in using it, let me know!

Ill take a look at it and hopefully it will work for me ...

When using an OBJECT as a task destination if the player does not know about the object then a destination will not show until his knowsAbout level becomes higher.

To make the task destination show you have to pass in an array instead [object, true]. e.g

[player, "tskDestroyOpfCOM", ["The enemy has a communication tower North West of Galati which needs to be destroyed, it is advised to do this prior to the destruction of the enemy Anti Air Defenses.","Destroy the Com tower!", "Enemy communication tower!"], [color="#FF0000"][OpfCOM, true][/color], true, 1] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;

Although this does not raise the players knowsAbout of the object it forces the task destination to display exactly at this objects position regardless.

The priority of tasks is highest number first. As you have "tskDestroyOpfCOM" set to true for assign as current task this will come first but once this is complete the next highest priority is "tskDestroyOpfAIR" as it is set to 3 which is higher than "tskDestroyOpfAA" which is set to 2.

Fixed Tasks

[player, "tskDestroyOpfAIR", ["Enemy Air Support may give us trouble when not dealt with it accordingly you need to be destroy it before we send in our main force","Destroy the Air cover!", "Enemy Air support!"], [color="#FF0000"][OpfAIR, true][/color], false,[color="#FF0000"] 2[/color]] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;
[player, "tskDestroyOpfAA", ["The enemy Anti Air Defense need to be destroyed, our bird spotted it in the vicinity of the small enemy base","Destroy the AA Defense!", "Enemy Anti Air site!"], [color="#FF0000"][OpfAA, true][/color], false, [color="#FF0000"]3[/color]] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;
[player, "tskDestroyOpfCOM", ["The enemy has a communication tower North West of Galati which needs to be destroyed, it is advised to do this prior to the destruction of the enemy Anti Air Defenses.","Destroy the Com tower!", "Enemy communication tower!"], [color="#FF0000"][OpfCOM, true][/color], true, 1] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;

Edited by Larrow

When using an OBJECT as a task destination if the player does not know about the object then a destination will not show until his knowsAbout level becomes higher.

To make the task destination show you have to pass in an array instead [object, true]. e.g

Although this does not raise the players knowsAbout of the object it forces the task destination to display exactly at this objects position regardless.

The priority of tasks is highest number first. As you have "tskDestroyOpfCOM" set to true for assign as current task this will come first but once this is complete the next highest priority is "tskDestroyOpfAIR" as it is set to 3 which is higher than "tskDestroyOpfAA" which is set to 2.

Fixed Tasks

[player, "tskDestroyOpfAIR", ["Enemy Air Support may give us trouble when not dealt with it accordingly you need to be destroy it before we send in our main force","Destroy the Air cover!", "Enemy Air support!"], [color="#FF0000"][OpfAIR, true][/color], false,[color="#FF0000"] 2[/color]] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;
[player, "tskDestroyOpfAA", ["The enemy Anti Air Defense need to be destroyed, our bird spotted it in the vicinity of the small enemy base","Destroy the AA Defense!", "Enemy Anti Air site!"], [color="#FF0000"][OpfAA, true][/color], false, [color="#FF0000"]3[/color]] call BIS_fnc_taskCreate;

I knew it would be something very simple :rolleyes: So if I understand correctly if I use objects as tasks destination I need to put an array which will point exactly towards that object like you are showing here. For the task order it is higher number is higher priority so i just got that one completely wrong I thought it was the other way around "stupid me :p"

I am enormously grateful for this, this helps me out a ton.

Now another question is if all 3 targets are down which array do i need to make to create a new task, I mean what line do I put in the init,sqf as a 4th task which will only will be created if all 3 targets are destroyed?

I have now a 4th trigger i want to sychronise this trigger with a ghost hawk which will then need to drop off the rest of the team after all the tasks are destroyed ...

in the condition box I have this:

!(alive OpfCOM) && !(alive OpfAA) && !(alive OpfAIR)

what do i need to put in the on activation and which kind of array do i need to place in my init.sqf so the task wont show unless those 3 targets are destroyed?

what I want to do is to make some kind of trigger which will pop up a new task to wait and hold my position till the rest of the team arrives, this task will need to complete when the ghost hawk dropped of the entire team and the team joined with me or something in that line ..

best of regards

Edited by LiquitHQ